Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Nicolo Barella is a playing I rate highly for that controlling number 8 position. Exceptional ball retention, press resistance, passing range, and engine. Not an individual super star, but I think a perfect system player in a well functioning midfield that would be greater than the sum of its parts.

I’d love to see a midfield three of Casemiro, Barella, Eriksen/Bruno. He was utterly brilliant at euro 2022.
Yeah Barella is a quality shout,however only seen him loosely linked to scousers

NLunited

Don't see us signing either,therefore have to look elsewhere for Casa's partner
We should try (again), we have more pull now than we have had for many years.

A club like ours should always go for the best players.

croadyman

We should try (again), we have more pull now than we have had for many years.

A club like ours should always go for the best players.
We did for De Jong last summer and now the situation with him is more secure,in terms of Bellingham I suspect both City and Real are ahead

davidmichael

I think it’s pretty clear De Jong is a non starter now and Barca would try to sell the likes of Christensen, Kessie, Alonso, Torres and Roberto all before De Jong so I think we should go for Bellingham or if we think that’s a non starter due to price then Bennacer and Lavia plus we’ve Mejbri (who I see a lot of Modric in) back next season as well.

OrcaFat

We should definitely sign this guy if we can. There’s nobody better in his position and he’s the perfect partner for Casemiro. But we can’t sign him so the point is moot.

croadyman

I think it’s pretty clear De Jong is a non starter now and Barca would try to sell the likes of Christensen, Kessie, Alonso, Torres and Roberto all before De Jong so I think we should go for Bellingham or if we think that’s a non starter due to price then Bennacer and Lavia plus we’ve Mejbri (who I see a lot of Modric in) back next season as well.
What about Barella & Lavia instead,think Bellingham is a non starter like De Jong

davidmichael

What about Barella & Lavia instead,think Bellingham is a non starter like De Jong
I think Barella would struggle with the speed of the PL, I think he’s a good player but Serie A is so much slower than the PL that I don’t think Barella could replicate his form. On the other hand I think Bennacer could do despite also playing in Serie A as his game reminds me a lot of De Jong, of the two I’d choose Bennacer over Barella.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We should definitely sign this guy if we can. There’s nobody better in his position and he’s the perfect partner for Casemiro. But we can’t sign him so the point is moot.
No we shouldn't. We shouldn't be signing anyone who made it abundantly clear he didn't want to join us last summer. He even was happy to take a pay cut to stop the move happening. His Mrs is apparently dead against the move to England too.

This thread needs to be closed. It ain't happening. Time to move on.

Yakuza_devils

Everytime I watch him play he doesn't seem to be a player worth 80M and 400K-500k per/week salary.

Plus his love for Barca is inseparable. Leave them alone.

Abraxas

This one is a bit boring. There's only so long you can get your hopes up around a player and be excited about them before the sheer overload of talk leads to fatigue. Usually you want players jumping at the opportunity.

If he's ETH main target then I'd probably allocate a set period of time in the window to assess the probability of this. And no way near as long as last time. As soon as there is any indication we're getting played or there is lack of forthrightness from the player or Barca I would be out.

Kovacic would be a good plan B, I think. Not as good but cheaper, covers some of the same skills, would allow increased investment elsewhere.

croadyman

I think Barella would struggle with the speed of the PL, I think he’s a good player but Serie A is so much slower than the PL that I don’t think Barella could replicate his form. On the other hand I think Bennacer could do despite also playing in Serie A as his game reminds me a lot of De Jong, of the two I’d choose Bennacer over Barella.
Could see links to all of Bennacer/Barella/Kovacic pick up in the summer with De Jong now fully secure in that Barcelona first team

davidmichael

Could see links to all of Bennacer/Barella/Kovacic pick up in the summer with De Jong now fully secure in that Barcelona first team
I’d be very happy with either Bennacer or Kovacivic, I’m sure I saw the other day that Kovacivic just turned 28 which is prime years for a midfielder and the fact he’s shown his class already in England means they’d be no settling in at all so if he’s available Kovacivic would be my first choice.

NLunited

I’d be very happy with either Bennacer or Kovacivic, I’m sure I saw the other day that Kovacivic just turned 28 which is prime years for a midfielder and the fact he’s shown his class already in England means they’d be no settling in at all so if he’s available Kovacivic would be my first choice.
I’d be very happy with Kovacic.

OrcaFat

No we shouldn't. We shouldn't be signing anyone who made it abundantly clear he didn't want to join us last summer. He even was happy to take a pay cut to stop the move happening. His Mrs is apparently dead against the move to England too.

I think I did say we can’t sign him. Um, yes, I did.

We can’t sign him if he doesn’t want to come here.

We can sign him if he changes his mind but that doesn’t look likely.

The question of whether we should sign him is moot. But, forgive me, I already said that.

We don’t need to close thread though. It will drop down the thread list if people stop posting in it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

What? Barca literally threatened legal action to make him either move or take a pay cut and he basically laughed in their faces. He didn't take any pay cut.

croadyman

What? Barca literally threatened legal action to make him either move or take a pay cut and he basically laughed in their faces. He didn't take any pay cut.
Reckon he will take the pay cut now if necessary as he's pretty much an automatic pick

Glorio

Barella? He‘s good but not unreal. Frenkie or Bellingham are.
I never get that sense when I watch Frenkie play. That said I don't watch him consistently. I think he's a good player, but there's no performance I've seen from him for club or country that screams "unreal".

OrcaFat

He will do whatever it takes to help club
Oh right. I didn’t understand what you meant.

I don’t think he will, though. He doesn’t need to. He’ll probably play out his contract, collect the deferred wages and leave on a free.

eugegall

I just don't see the attraction in FDJ. I reckon he would be a good squad player but not certain he'd walk into the team.

DownRiver

He was excellent. I think it’s the beginning of the end for De Jong at Barca, mark my words.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star

He was excellent. I think it’s the beginning of the end for De Jong at Barca, mark my words.
They'd have to be absolute morons though, if I had to pick one player and call him the best in Barca currently that's him (not based solely on performance though, but a combination of talent, influence and contribution).

They've made their share of cretinous blunders though historically so it's not out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.