Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

We shouldn't waste out time on a player who said Barcelona agreed to sell and he said no because he loves Barcelona and wants to stay there.
It is his dream club therefore i can understand him......the club wanted to sell him and not his coach (A difference for me)......he has never said "I don't wanna play for Manchester United".

And if they put him again on the transfer list then we would be stupid if we don't sign him.

Of course there are 10-20 other midfield options for us but in my opinion he is perfect for our midfield.

RVN1991

To be fair "Frenkie de Jong is Man United's priority target in the transfer window and John Murtough and Richard Arnold have been filmed in Barcelona" was the headline in Manchester News in July so it really not folks fault, some were encouraged to think there was positive contact. In hindsight the fans were fooled but its no wonder our transfer team has been comical , if you indeed arrive in Barcelona with no prior agreement from player. We have a history of being a lead pony for agents and players to screw an advantage out of the teams they are playing for and have no intention of leaving. Ramos RM ,anyone ? How many times do we need to see Player A in negotations with Man Utd to a week later Player A sign new improved deal with parent club.
The thing was he constantly kept hinting that he had 0 intention of moving throughout the entire saga yet a popular narrative in here was that he would move if they paid him his due wages, which again went completely against everything he himself was putting out there in the media.

Completely different situation to a Ramos or any other player using united to get a better contract.

lex talionis

I’m not sure why people are so mad that we ‘chased him’ across the summer. People moan at anything. There is nothing ‘amateur’ about a football club trying to sign a football player during a fecking transfer window. Whether the truth was that we were simply trying to convince him, or that he was already convinced and wanted to resolve a financial issue - there is no shame in pursuing a player you really want.

Too many fans just treat football like a damn tv drama with a storyline.
Is it not the case that Frenkie has made it clear many times that he is at his dream club and has no intention of leaving it?

Suv666

They just won the league and Busqets is moving on, zero chance now

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
They just won the league and Busqets is moving on, zero chance now
I'd say never say never but it's unlikely. If we get a favourable takeover and can present a very very tempting project I'd say there's a chance, but not a huge one

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is pure cope. Well-run clubs do the majority of their business early. Waiting until the end, more often than not, results in overpaying for backup targets and risks disrupting the start of the campaign.
Ah, the caf’s infamous ‘well run club’ shite again.

So the window is just left open for the last two months for the amateurs. Do I need to list the number of great players United have signed in August, or even deadline day, over the years?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is it not the case that Frenkie has made it clear many times that he is at his dream club and has no intention of leaving it?
He did, and as a result, he didn’t leave, and we ultimately signed other players. So?

lex talionis

He did, and as a result, he didn’t leave, and we ultimately signed other players. So?
I'm pretty sure you were suggesting that there was nothing amateurish about trying to sign a football player during a transfer window. As far as that statement goes, that's obviously true. Clubs sign players they want all the time during transfer windows and it's been that way since Adam ate the apple.

But what's been stated here as fact, which you agree is fact, is that in this case the player we badly wanted made it very clear he had no intention of leaving his club. That is the point some posters are referring to as amateurish.

If several years ago United were to spend month after month going after Messi, despite Messi making it very clear that he had no intention of leaving Barcelona, it would be pretty ridiculous -- one could say amateurish -- of us trying to convince Messi to leave Barcelona for United. Or let's say Benzema from Real. Right?

RVN1991

I’m not sure why people are so mad that we ‘chased him’ across the summer. People moan at anything. There is nothing ‘amateur’ about a football club trying to sign a football player during a fecking transfer window. Whether the truth was that we were simply trying to convince him, or that he was already convinced and wanted to resolve a financial issue - there is no shame in pursuing a player you really want.

Too many fans just treat football like a damn tv drama with a storyline.
Maybe because it was quite clear from the beginning that De Jong and his missus had zero interest in leaving Barcelona yet we kept persisting all summer?

When have you seen another elite club beg a player all summer who has no interest whatsoever in joining them?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm pretty sure you were suggesting that there was nothing amateurish about trying to sign a football player during a transfer window. As far as that statement goes, that's obviously true. Clubs sign players they want all the time during transfer windows and it's been that way since Adam ate the apple.

But what's been stated here as fact, which you agree is fact, is that in this case the player we badly wanted made it very clear he had no intention of leaving his club. That is the point some posters are referring to as amateurish.

If several years ago United were to spend month after month going after Messi, despite Messi making it very clear that he had no intention of leaving Barcelona, it would be pretty ridiculous -- one could say amateurish -- of us trying to convince Messi to leave Barcelona for United. Or let's say Benzema from Real. Right?
No, wrong.

Firstly, these armchair moaners are a million miles from being qualified to determine what is amateur about the mechanics of a transfer pursuit anyway. But secondly, all you have said has ignored, I would argue, wilfully - that we were pursuing a player whose club was desperate to sell him. In such a context, there is ALWAYS a possibility that the player can be sold, whatever he says in the press. I cannot count the amount of players who have moved over the years simply because their club decided they had to sell them. In fact, in such circumstances, I’d argue that the eventual outcome of De Jong staying was actually the least likely outcome. It is not common place for players to stay at clubs they are not wanted, openly not wanted at that, and who have accepted bids for them. There’s a huge difference between United pursuing a happy De Jong and a happy Pedri last summer.

So no, this doesn’t appear ‘amateurish’ at all to me, and my suspicion is the name calling is latently mismanaged emotions from many who are ultimately just heartbroken that we didn’t get the player. We win some, we lose some - but we are fecking well within our rights to try if we so choose to. And the amount of time to which we can try is clearly defined by the parameters of the window. If we decide that we want to give it every chance and then only move for alternatives in the final two weeks of the window because the player in question is that vital to us, then we are within our rights to do so. It’s up to any club how they use the time of a transfer window. When it was all said and done, we got two new midfielders in the time that was given to us to do so, there is nothing amateur about it and I repeat, people just love to moan and in every window the press love to fuel some sort of ‘United are losing the transfer market’ story.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maybe because it was quite clear from the beginning that De Jong and his missus had zero interest in leaving Barcelona yet we kept persisting all summer?

When have you seen another elite club beg a player all summer who has no interest whatsoever in joining them?
Perhaps when that player’s club happen to want to sell him? Is it amateurish for clubs to try and convince Scott McTominay or Harry Maguire to join them this summer, simply because those players would prefer to stay at United?

In the real world, there is nothing amateurish, or embarrassing, about talking to a recruitment target to try and sell them on joining your organisation. Walking away and not pursuing a key target because they said they want to stay is a far more amateur way to do business in fact. Anyone good at their job would instead first try to show the person how much their organisation values them and sell the benefits in the hope that they can convince them. And if they can’t, then they can’t. They move on and hire someone else, which is seen as perfectly normal except when it is Manchester United for some reason.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Ah, the caf’s infamous ‘well run club’ shite again.

So the window is just left open for the last two months for the amateurs. Do I need to list the number of great players United have signed in August, or even deadline day, over the years?
We've done good business in August and on deadline day, sure. Doesn't mean it's a good practice to leave things late.

lex talionis

No, wrong.

Firstly, these armchair moaners are a million miles from being qualified to determine what is amateur about the mechanics of a transfer pursuit anyway. But secondly, all you have said has ignored, I would argue, wilfully - that we were pursuing a player whose club was desperate to sell him. In such a context, there is ALWAYS a possibility that the player can be sold, whatever he says in the press. I cannot count the amount of players who have moved over the years simply because their club decided they had to sell them. In fact, in such circumstances, I’d argue that the eventual outcome of De Jong staying was actually the least likely outcome. It is not common place for players to stay at clubs they are not wanted, openly not wanted at that, and who have accepted bids for them. There’s a huge difference between United pursuing a happy De Jong and a happy Pedri last summer.

So no, this doesn’t appear ‘amateurish’ at all to me, and my suspicion is the name calling is latently mismanaged emotions from many who are ultimately just heartbroken that we didn’t get the player. We win some, we lose some - but we are fecking well within our rights to try if we so choose to. And the amount of time to which we can try is clearly defined by the parameters of the window. If we decide that we want to give it every chance and then only move for alternatives in the final two weeks of the window because the player in question is that vital to us, then we are within our rights to do so. It’s up to any club how they use the time of a transfer window. When it was all said and done, we got two new midfielders in the time that was given to us to do so, there is nothing amateur about it and I repeat, people just love to moan and in every window the press love to fuel some sort of ‘United are losing the transfer market’ story.
Interesting.

The word “amateurish” is a bit harsh and inapt to describe our quest for a player who has repeatedly expressed his desire to remain with the club of his dreams — after all, we’re talking about Barcelona, not Burnley — but would you at least concede that our quest for this player should be described as quixotic?

Ghostrider318

God please no not this again. He wont leave the current laliga winners to come to a club who dsnt even know who the owners are going to be in a come next season

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We've done good business in August and on deadline day, sure. Doesn't mean it's a good practice to leave things late.
It just means that it doesn’t matter, things happen when they happen and the success of them are determinthe ouby the outcome ultimately.tcome

Laurencio

God please no not this again. He wont leave the current laliga winners to come to a club who dsnt even know who the owners are going to be in a come next season
So what you are telling me... is that there is a chance?

Speak for yourself, I enjoyed the scenery
Personally I enjoyed the crazy catalan that shouted about how hot it was all the time.

lex talionis

Maybe we should spend the entire summer -- again -- chasing a player who has made it very clear has no interest in leaving Barcelona and has no interest in going to United?

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

So Barca want Messi and he wants to go back there too.

The Barca journalists are saying that they need very fast money through player sales to get Messi.

Of course we have the "takeover problem" but this is a big chance to get De Jong.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I have doubts if he's really the perfect fit for current United side for a few reasons, but I have no doubt we're not getting him.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Can someone lock this thread?

El-Manos

So Barca want Messi and he wants to go back there too.

The Barca journalists are saying that they need very fast money through player sales to get Messi.

Of course we have the "takeover problem" but this is a big chance to get De Jong.
Ban this lad ffs.

arthurka

Hope he likes running a lot because playing with Messi he will have to run twice as hard. Hope he will get paid this year.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Don’t really want him with all the baggage that comes along but he’s a pipe dream compared to Mount.

Brophs

The One and Only
Given our chef is 300 years old, according to Ronaldo, perhaps we need to replace him with a ****.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As long as he's breathing there's a chance. Let's electric boogaloo this mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.