Frenkie De Jong | Performances

#00F

Supports
Barca
Best Barca player during the pre-season.

Lentwood

That clip of highlights from the Napoli game is the only football I have ever seen the lad play and I can say for a fact he will be a superstar

We've got some poor judges on this forum....

Heista

Supports
Ajax
The biggest con job of recent times should get his own thread. 80 million Euros + reported 16 million Euros wages for this (keep in mind this is a game his team dominated 6-0 as well)?

What is his standout ability except passing to the nearest man back and sideways?

Atrocious offside awareness and his touch lets him down @ 1:23

Getting his teammate into trouble @ 2:21

Passing to nobody @ 4:46

Giving ball away @ 4:51

etc.

And he generally seems to not know what to do before he gets the ball because he always dwells on the ball for seconds before doing something with it.

His dribbling is also average, usually lays it too far forward.

Will get terribly exposed at a higher level.

Discuss.
Already bossing the midfield at Barca.

@Cait Sith got some time to point out De Jongs failings in this video? You already did a great job in the OP.

Pass and Move

Probably my favourite player to watch right now, and would be my first choice for building a midfield. He’s already as good as Busquets.

Dolf

Plays like he is a Barcelona veteran. Great deal for Barca, he is going to be a superstar.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Another mega talent. OP will continue to look sillier as time goes on.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Maybe a bit unrealistic, but he would the most close to United having their ‘Scholes’ again. In terms of playing it simple, yet very effective and in control of the bal. It would have been a challenge to get him, when Barcelona come knocking around.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Barcelona have guaranteed themselves a top midfield for the next decade with him and Arthur. Incredible business

izec

You have to be on the windup to not see it. Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would rate him. He will be one of the best midfielders for a decade.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
At this point in time i think he's better than busquets. Will be interesting to see what valverde will do. A midfield of busquets-de jong-arthur would be eerily similar to our casemiro-modric-kross midfield, with the same strengths but also the same weaknesses, though it could be better defensively...would put a lot of emphasis on their forwards to generate chances and goals. Well, they have Messi-Griezmann-Suarez, they will be fine

Ugh, this is disgusting

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It does feel like he's got no nerves at all. Immediately started doing well for them.

AJ10

Only seen little bit of the video but there was more movement from him in that short time than us in the past 6 years.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
At this point in time i think he's better than busquets. Will be interesting to see what valverde will do. A midfield of busquets-de jong-arthur would be eerily similar to our casemiro-modric-kross midfield, with the same strengths but also the same weaknesses, though it could be better defensively...would put a lot of emphasis on their forwards to generate chances and goals. Well, they have Messi-Griezmann-Suarez, they will be fine

Ugh, this is disgusting
What will Valverde do? Well, play Busquets-De Jong-Arthur he will decidedly not because that would mean his favorite player Rakitić would get left out. There's a perennially tough away game at Athletic, and It's time for a Valverde special, namely Busquets-Vidal-Rakitić midfield. I think the only reason this trio started against Napoli was that he was resting those three for Bilbao.

Sjaakmeoff

What will Valverde do? Well, play Busquets-De Jong-Arthur he will decidedly not because that would mean his favorite player Rakitić would get left out. There's a perennially tough away game at Athletic, and It's time for a Valverde special, namely Busquets-Vidal-Rakitić midfield. I think the only reason this trio started against Napoli was that he was resting those three for Bilbao.
I agree. I don't think he will play Frenkie right away. He's too scared to play him directly.

And i'm afraid only Messi can decide if De Jong will be a starter soon.

ZAKU-RED

Supports
Barcelona
I just hope Valverde, would finally make a real sensible decision and stop playing Busi-Rakitic together.

Both players are on a visible decline now and both are suffering the same problems. Rakitic use to be the workhorse who helped plugged up the gaps who scored goals here and there with the occasional assist, but like Busi, his legs are pretty much gone now and he struggles a lot dealing with the press as well.

Busi was never an athletic player but he still made up for it in other areas which made him the player he was under Pep and Lucho. But his legs and other crucial areas to his game have declined and often looks like a fish out of a barrel when he tries something stupid and ends up him losing the ball and he ends up getting burned to try to defend.

Having both on the field with their declining abilities/athleticism(Rakitic) has been a chore to watch now.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is clearly better than Busquets now.

What a signing from Barcelona. Unreal.

He would have been the perfecting holding midfielder for us too. A player of his profile is who I'd want us to sign.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He's fecking brilliant.

May end up going down as the worst OP of all time.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Such a good goal against Germany. From the back it looks like he's a bit lucky getting that ball, but then from the left sided camera angle you can see it's a 100% brilliant first touch.

He's just a split second faster than the defender, which always seems to be the case with him. Whether midtable eredivisie players or Griezmann, they all say the same after they played against Frenkie, you think you're going to take the ball of him and then he takes another touch and he's gone.

Alexit

Just watched the highlights, really good goal.

How about a punt from us on that Depay fella or Blind? :wenger:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

It was a solid, mostly safe performance capped off by a good goal. Not a masterclass by any means and Germany were poor in the 2nd half.

Sterling Archer

It was a solid, mostly safe performance capped off by a good goal. Not a masterclass by any means and Germany were poor in the 2nd half.
I have serious envy considering our wonderful midfielders can't handle the likes of a poor Crystal Palace or 10-man Southampton, let alone a mediocre German national team

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Being played sort of out of position at Barca looks beneficial. Best attacking performance yet.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s class tbh. Was my dream target last season along with Sancho. Players like him don’t come around very often.

Marshal

He is the best player signed by Barcelona since Ter Stegen (Lenglet is not bad though).

The only player who is always playing good despite of the rest of the team. He is good in so many things that will be in the starting 11 for the next 10 years no matter what coach is there.

1. He is alway moving and offering himself as a destination.
2. He is moves the ball fast and can combine with all the players around him
3. He is the first one to jump to the pressure and recovers lots of balls with his natural instinct to be in the right place to cut a ball
4. He is able to run with the ball skipping opponents lines with his power move.
5. Not very often but he showed that he even has some 1vs1 skills

If the Barcelona is leading the league despite of the poor performance till now is thanks to Ter Stegen, Messi and De Jong. Other players had good nights but only these 3 are consistent.

MrEleson

So... who's been more overrated? De Jong or De Ligt?
De Ligt is one of Juve’s best players (albeit that doesn’t say a great deal given how poor most of their team is). But he’s been solid for them and their best defender since he’s been at the club and with Chiellini’s absence.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just browsed through a Barca forum to see how they view him. It's not great.

UncleBob

Just browsed through a Barca forum to see how they view him. It's not great.
Barely seen him play for Barcelona, but it's hardly an easy job when the rest of their team has fallen off a cliff of decline. Not sure what the Barcelona supporters expect from him. They face a massive job of building up their squad again, without a freak of a performer like Messi and feck all cash.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Bump on this thread. After struggling to really make impact on the team in his first season at Barcelona (partly because he was being played on the left wing mostly by Setien), Frenkie de Jong made some real big steps at Barcelona this season. He always plays in a central role now, mostly in central midfield together with Pedri and Busquests, but occasionaly in a back 3. Apart from the rol in which he excelled at Ajax and the Dutch national team (i.e. dominating midfield from behind, bringing the ball forward from behind with passing and dribbles), Koeman also urged him to become more decisive towards the goal and contribute with goals and assists. To become more versatile in that way.

Here is what Koeman said about him in a big interview for a Dutch Magazine Voetbal International:

"Ï also thought he needed to do that (red: about the growth of Frenkie this season). He has been a big signing for Barcelona. That means you cannot just play along, but you need to make a next step in personality, importance, effectiveness for the team. I find it great to see how he is picking this up. Frenkie ís this team. He has exceptional qualities, both offensive and defensive. He will become even more important for Barcelona in the future."

Being a huge fan, I'm really happy with this development. I think he can become even more dominant for Barcelona when Busquets leaves, because they both pretty much cover the same area of the field, both in build up and in attack. However playing with Busquets there also kind of forced Frenkie to get out of his comfort zone and play more forward, and therewith forcing him to also work on his effectiveness in the final phase of attack.

Last edited:

dabeast

Tuttojuve reporting that Frenkie thinks that Barca cannot win trophies and he wants to go elsewhere. Barca has no money and needs salary cap to even register Memphis/Aguero and he has played in a good midfield with Donny. He is on a lot of money there (reportedly 400K euros per week) but is the most press-resistant CDM in the world, has complementary skills to McFred, would be the last piece in the jigsaw and immediately make us contenders.

Drainy

Tuttojuve reporting that Frenkie thinks that Barca cannot win trophies and he wants to go elsewhere. Barca has no money and needs salary cap to even register Memphis/Aguero and he has played in a good midfield with Donny. He is on a lot of money there (reportedly 400K euros per week) but is the most press-resistant CDM in the world, has complementary skills to McFred, would be the last piece in the jigsaw and immediately make us contenders.
Its the hope that kills you