Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

frostbite

In future, we need to be tracking/scouting/identifying/signing these players much earlier on before they are signed by a club like Barcelona. That way, we haven't got to deal with these knobs and we get these players at their absolute peaks.
It seems that the only reason we have a chance with Frenkie is this particular mess in Barca. Otherwise, the player would definitely prefer Barca and we wouldn't have a chance, either earlier or now. (That's what I understand from what has been posted in this thread, I might be wrong.)

Smores

It’s funny that Barca can’t even get a tweet right.

Kounde loves basketball and Kobe Bryant. He’s imitating dunking a basketball not a snake. :lol:
Fact check: When asked about the celebration, Kounde added: “My snake celebration is a tribute to Black Mamba, Kobe Bryant.”

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Absolutely. It wouldn't look good on him if he's out selling players that are considered to be potentially world class.
He needs to appear to have the clubs best interests at heart, when in reality all he's thinking about is himself and his future prospects
I had said it's like a cult -- players are willing to sign up or stay there despite the crap that's being thrown at them once they are in it. Children of Barca or The Barca Family, Branch Barca

Highfather_24

how is it not blatantly obvious now that if he just sits there and digs in, he might get paid, but Laporta is going to make it his personal mission to destroy FDJ's career. He is outright saying that they went and sought a deal with MUFC to force him to give up millions. Xavi has made it clear that he is now a bench CB. And this is only the opening salvo. This is as good as it gets for FDJ if he stays on his full wage, he might get 20 mins once a month as a such, or play a cup game in CB.
If he stays, arent they kinda fecked financially? So keeping him, but not using him, is them hurting themselves further. That's why you hardly ever see top players being sent to reserves to make a point. I think FdJ holds more power in this situation, than Barca.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Oh look at the kings of morality.
Its interesting he said a moral debt -- not a financial debt in view of FdJ.

I bet Messi is now worried that he may not get the money owed to him also, judging by what they are doing to FdJ. Maybe his accountants sent a note to Laporta recently reminding him of the outstanding salary due.

Last edited:

Siorac

3. If you consider the CL the ONLY major trophy, and that's for one season. Liverpool finished 3rd just 2 years ago.
We haven't challenged for the title since 2013. The closest we got in that time period is 12 points behind the champions. We've also been a graveyard for talent in that period - it'd be hard to blame a highly rated player in his prime taking one good look at our last decade and deciding that coming here is way too much of a gamble.

As it is often mentioned here, though usually with regards to money, a footballer's career is short. A wrong move can waste huge chunks of it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
We haven't challenged for the title since 2013. The closest we got in that time period is 12 points behind the champions. We've also been a graveyard for talent in that period - it'd be hard to blame a highly rated player in his prime taking one good look at our last decade and deciding that coming here is way too much of a gamble.

As it is often mentioned here, though usually with regards to money, a footballer's career is short. A wrong move can waste huge chunks of it.
You could say the same about Chelsea in EPL terms, I'm aware of the CL.

Liverpool finished 17pts behind the champions 2 years ago, Man City finished 18pts behind 3 years ago; things change very quickly in football.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I think he only got elected in March 2021. But that's the point, he has to constantly be politicking and in election mode.
Would i be right in saying that Barca fans are pretty fickle and they'd turn on him if they thought he was slacking or taking the piss a bit?

Matt851

And everyone wanted fan-owned clubs? This is what you get when you have elections every few years.
Everything is political and telling what the fans want to hear.
A nightmare of 24/7/365 soap opera.
Barca aren't the only fan owned club tbf

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If he stays, arent they kinda fecked financially? So keeping him, but not using him, is them hurting themselves further. That's why you hardly ever see top players being sent to reserves to make a point. I think FdJ holds more power in this situation, than Barca.
I'm sure Barca's lawyers will find a way to slime out of the situation

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ahh love these kind of posts. So much conviction. Then if we do sign him, you disappear into the background and pretend you never said anything right?
Nope I’d be happy if we signed him. I’m not actually able to read the future hence the lack of conviction. It is amazing though how spelling out the obvious genuine probability he isn’t going to come gets people so butthurt :lol:

Sorry I’m not “muppets assemble :drool:“ in the face of something that doesn’t look likely. I’m also a grown man.

OrcaFat

What do you mean "against it"? Is there something illegal happening?

I don't want to start a political or societal discussion but think about how you vote and how you make economic decisions with your consumer choices. You may be endorsing similar or worse practices already,without realising it.
I mean I’m against it. Pretty simple. I vote against it when I can. I speak out against it and most pointedly, I don’t go around applauding it. I’m open to suggestions about how to stop it, if you have any? Meanwhile I’ll settle for generally whingeing about it as a preference to giving it the thumbs up.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Truly is mental.

I saw a Barca fan in another thread arguing that this mess wouldn't effect peoples perception of the club on the whole, but how can it not. Growing up I always had a soft spot for Barca but jesus, these days they're just rotten.
It definitely has an effect on the clubs perception. I can't stand Barca anymore and they were quite comfortablyy second club in the past. Always hoped they'd win the CL. This disgusting behaviour has lost them all my sympathy. I truly hope they go bankrupt.

This club does not take any responsability for its past mistakes and takes it out on everyone. Laporta is a bastard who only became popular because he was friends with Cruijff and now he's using that popularity to get away with disgraceful behaviour. I hope this all backfires on him.

georgipep

I mean I’m against it. Pretty simple. I vote against it when I can. I speak out against it and most pointedly, I don’t go around applauding it. I’m open to suggestions about how to stop it, if you have any? Meanwhile I’ll settle for generally whingeing about it as a preference to giving it the thumbs up.
Fair enough. I am not sufficiently invested to care enough.

Chief123

Nope I’d be happy if we signed him. I’m not actually able to read the future hence the lack of conviction. It is amazing though how spelling out the obvious genuine probability he isn’t going to come gets people so butthurt :lol:

Sorry I’m not “muppets assemble :drool:“ in the face of something that doesn’t look likely. I’m also a grown man.
Lack of conviction…
The deal is dead mate. Accept it.

Kostov

Well, with the way that club is run, Laporta would probably find some mafia (or whatever they're called in Spain) to do the dirty work and drive FdJ out of the city without getting paid.
Well that club is better run than the one you and me support so I would restrain myself about judging how they handle their affairs. They are a club that the best striker in world football left Bayern Munich for, while we are in a situation where our beloved Ronaldo is desperate to leave.

Kostov

I'm still not sure how what you described here is very much different to what Barca are? They are run even worse than us. They are belittling their own playere with wage cuts, refusing to pay what is owed, and then signing players for mega money. Barca are an absolute joke.

Also, if Frenkie wants to stay so badly, why doesn't he take that paycut and sign the new contract?
They are run even worse than us? Based on what did you conclude that? Based on Lewandovski being desperate to join them while we have Ronaldo whoring himself around Europe just to get away. Wake up and smell the coffee.

And to answer the question, I do think he will take a paycut, he is just trying to get the best possible deal. And on the contrary, can you tell me why hasn't FDJ or his agent come out and told to the public that he won't take a pay cut? I mean by most accounts they have a right and honorable case, Frenkie took a pay cut once, showed his commitment to the club and helped them when they needed it, now no more. He has been called out in public countless of times, he can fight his case if he wants to doesn't he?

Siorac

You could say the same about Chelsea in EPL terms, I'm aware of the CL.

Liverpool finished 17pts behind the champions 2 years ago, Man City finished 18pts behind 3 years ago; things change very quickly in football.
Things change very quickly indeed but the point is that they haven't changed for us - we've been consistently irrelevant (when it comes to the big trophies) for nine seasons. Expecting that to change any time soon is a big gamble for a footballer in his prime. At this point our lack of success doesn't look like a temporary setback and there's very little that suggests we'll get back among the big boys any time soon, other than faith in Ten Hag's abilities. That's it.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
This is dead. Move on
Looked into this further. What I have found in interesting.

This message is a anagram of Damien shot videos. @Damien - care to share with the group what you know about this transfer? Involved in the unveiling are we? Or maybe you have some embarrassing footage of Laporta that might swing this deal in United favour? I think we deserve to know the truth…… :wenger:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Going to be a real reputational blow to the club and to ETH if this signing does not happen. It feels as if we are far more all in with this one, than we even were with Sancho. The only thing that makes sense is that the player has agreed to join United should he receive his deferred wages in full, but publicly he has to take the stance that he is committed completely to staying at Barcelona. If not, I don't know what we are doing.

Just, please, no panic Pellestri and Amad signings this time.

romufc

They are run even worse than us? Based on what did you conclude that? Based on Lewandovski being desperate to join them while we have Ronaldo whoring himself around Europe just to get away. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Let me tell you why I think they are run worse than us.

1. Barca have had to pull economic levers to get signings.
2. They re-structured their debt in January, still they are in financial issues
3. They agreed to pay a player x amount but are backing down on that.
4. They owe players wages.

In respects to Ronaldo, just because a player wants to leave, does it mean a club is run badly?

Lewandowski said he wanted to leave Bayern, does that mean they are run badly?

Green_Red

In regards to Laporta’s quote today that they ‘will do everything they can to keep De Jong at Barca.’ What exactly do they need to do?

Isn’t he on a long term contract that both clubs agreed to and that De Jong has not made any suggestion that he would walk away from? Surely keeping him is a matter of doing nothing?

What a nonsense statement from their president. The only motivation I can reason for saying this is to paint De Jong as a villain when he does eventually leave. As if they’ve done ‘everything’ and it wasn’t enough for the ungrateful brat.

In other words, it’s on.
Isn't this the same guy that said they would do whatever they could to keep Messi at Barcelona?
Mes que un club, un completo desastre!

JB7

Let me tell you why I think they are run worse than us.

1. Barca have had to pull economic levers to get signings.
2. They re-structured their debt in January, still they are in financial issues
3. They agreed to pay a player x amount but are backing down on that.
4. They owe players wages.

In respects to Ronaldo, just because a player wants to leave, does it mean a club is run badly?

Lewandowski said he wanted to leave Bayern, does that mean they are run badly?
If someone can't see how Barcelona are a worse ran business than United then they aren't worth arguing with. It's an astonishing level of stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.