Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
This saga would be the remembered as the one we missed out on giving the opportunity to Zidane Iqbal to go on an become Manchester united best midfielder since ever!!!!
This saga will be known as the slayer of many weak willed muppets. Poor guys

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why exclusively blame them? What if ETH said get him or no one else on that position? Even ETH himself said we are either getting targets we want, or we will build player for that position from a youngster.
As expected, the fans are buying whatever the club wants them to, this time through the means of the manager himself.

It will be fun watching us getting dominated in the midfield again this year if we stick by what we have.

ayushreddevil9

I'm sure there is. I'm sure they won't end it all should FDJ not come here. All other business done sensibly and without any fuss but FDJ not coming here would instantly spell the end of all things, OT will collapse into a pile of rubble and Murtough and Arnold should just resign or jump out of a tenth story window? Eye of the tiger and all that.

Drama :lol:
The only drama I see is in your post. But I do agree that Murtough and Arnold should resign if they fail to add Frenkie or any other midfielder for that matter.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Especially an unneeded signing that woukdn't even excite the fans. It's not like Chelsea fans are excited over the links to de Jong are they?
No links will be excited to chelsea fans as of now. Some one will gazump us any way so why we need to be excited though.

We are at a stage we will excite about any transfer only if our official site says so.Otherwise shut up and enjoy at what we got and how team shaped up and all. That's the reality. :lol:

OrcaFat

As expected, the fans are buying whatever the club wants them to, this time through the means of the manager himself.

It will be fun watching us getting dominated in the midfield again this year if we stick by what we have.
Fun indeed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Chelsea interest has probably been planted by his agent in an attempt at luring Xavi and Laporta to get him stay.
How exactly would that work, seeing as they want him to go?
They'd WANT the interest from Chelsea to be real?
I think this summer has shown that Frenkie hasn't got the best of agents so this plan wouldn't surprise me.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I agree.

The thing is, Champions League is a season by season thing. Theres no guarantee that Chelsea will be in it next season, whereas there is no guarantee that we won't be in it next season. The wage issue is different though. We can offer him a higher wage than Chelsea, but it depends on what he prefers more. The chance of winning things, realistically, is pretty similar between both clubs. It just boils down to what would the player prefer? As you say he wants to stay ideally, but that won't happen. I don't see Chelsea even making a bid because they know they can't match us in terms of transfer fee/wages, and i don't think de Jong would kick up a fuss to go to Chelsea either
Chelsea won the Champions League season before last, and have won it twice since we've even reached the semi-finals. They've won the league more recently than us, and more regularly since we have too. They've also only missed out on CL football once in the last 7 (?) seasons, and they won the Europa League that year. Since we last won a trophy, Chelsea have picked up the EPL (same season), Europa, CL, Club World Cup and FA Cup. Add to that, you're based in the most desirable part of one of the most desirable cities in the world if you play for them.

I hope you're right in regards to Chelsea not bidding, because if they are we better hope that ETH's pull is strong/De Jong has a soft spot for the club. That said, Chelsea seem to be ready to spend serious money this window so don't think wages would be an issue. Cucurella would take their spending to around 130m, and Frenkie would presumably push it to over 200m.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The only drama I see is in your post. But I do agree that Murtough and Arnold should resign if they fail to add Frenkie or any other midfielder for that matter.
Thank god you're not running the club. The FDJ situation has been a strange one but to suggest there's no way back from not getting him is ridiculous. You don't really know what's going on beyond all the BS reports.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Chelsea won the Champions League season before last, and won it twice since we've even reached the semi-finals. They've won the league more recently than us, and more regularly since we have too. They've also only missed out on CL football once in the last 7 (?) seasons, and they won the Europa League that year. Since we last won a trophy, Chelsea have picked up the EPL (same season), Europa, CL, Club World Cup and FA Cup. Add to that, you're based in the most desirable part of one of the most desirable cities in the world if you play for them.

I hope you're right in regards to Chelsea not bidding, because if they are we better hope that ETH's pull is strong/he has a soft spot for the club. That said, Chelsea seem to be ready to spend serious money this window so don't think wages would be an issue. Cucurella would take their spending to around 130m, and Frenkie would presumably push it to over 200m.
Seeing as they also need a striker more than a midfielder, you'd think they'd go all out on a striker to make a statement?

tomaldinho1

They really arent. Which news did they give thats false? Aggregator depend on Athletic to peddle their tweets.
It’s not them giving false news, it’s that quality has just steadily declined in my opinion. They have become the masters of writing a massive pay walled article but without actually saying anything you didn’t already know - yes it’s dressed up well and generally written in a digestible manner but there’s nothing you can’t see elsewhere or wasn’t already public.

You only need to think of the business model, create hype, push cheap mass market subscriptions then sell to an outlet with more reach. That’s what they did. Given there aren’t actually that many real stories in football (for example De Jong and Ronaldo are just now being rehashed by every outlet for the 10th time, I get why they do it).

I will say as a United fan we are more affected by journos given we generate so many clicks and have a vocal, worldwide and generally frustrated fan base. Maybe they are great for other clubs/ sports but my opinion on them for United related info is now basically the same as all other outlets.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Seeing as they also need a striker more than a midfielder, you'd think they'd go all out on a striker to make a statement?
Agreed - but whose to say they wouldn't do both? Also, they've already brought in Sterling and the striker market is pretty limited.

Withnail

People posting every tweet update do get that they are part of the feedback loop right?

That these updates aren't to actually update on a developing situation like a runaway train, but solely to generate engagement and ad revenue right?
Tweets don't do that if you aren't engaging with them or clicking through to the link, if they have one.

ayushreddevil9

Thank god you're not running the club. The FDJ situation has been a strange one but to suggest there's no way back from not getting him is ridiculous. You don't really know what's going on beyond all the BS reports.
What I said was that there's no way back for Murtough and Arnold. United's midfield was constantly getting dominated last year and not adding a single midfielder to address that is nothing short of diabolical. If you still think that it's all fine and United's cureent midfield is competitive to get us top 4 then we can agree to disagree.

Godfather

Things are happening :devil:
feck off Romero. If that was huge he'd tell it straight away. I expect more of the same crap. Wants to stay, Barca wants him too but economics have to be considered. Deal in principle agreed. Personal terms with FdJ not.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s not them giving false news, it’s that quality has just steadily declined in my opinion. They have become the masters of writing a massive pay walled article but without actually saying anything you didn’t already know - yes it’s dressed up well and generally written in a digestible manner but there’s nothing you can’t see elsewhere or wasn’t already public.

You only need to think of the business model, create hype, push cheap mass market subscriptions then sell to an outlet with more reach. That’s what they did. Given there aren’t actually that many real stories in football (for example De Jong and Ronaldo are just now being rehashed by every outlet for the 10th time, I get why they do it).

I will say as a United fan we are more affected by journos given we generate so many clicks and have a vocal, worldwide and generally frustrated fan base. Maybe they are great for other clubs/ sports but my opinion on them for United related info is now basically the same as all other outlets.
Yeah to be fair I agree there

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Agreed - but whose to say they wouldn't do both? Also, they've already brought in Sterling and the striker market is pretty limited.
If they want to add another midfielder to their already packed lineup, then they're more than welcome to do so. It would make no sense and be a waste, which is what makes me think that it's all a bit of BS. They have no need for him and if they truly did want him, they'd have bidded by now

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think they try to retain an injury prone 32 year old (next season) Kante, no. Or maybe they try to work out a new contract in the season when they are unable to get a replacement in?

I know that Utd have been keen to renew contracts to "protect value" but I don't think a lot of clubs operate in that way.
Explain why the likes of Kenedy and Batshuayi etc are still at Chelsea then

ayushreddevil9

feck off Romero. If that was huge he'd tell it straight away. I expect more of the same crap. Wants to stay, Barca wants him too but economics have to be considered. Deal in principle agreed. Personal terms with FdJ not.
The guy needs to get viewers on his Twitch account. Dont blame him. I tried last year and had 2. One of them was a friend so I know the pain :lol:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Right at this moment, Frenkie will be playing for us, will be playing for Barca, and will be playing for Chelsea. He's a particle and a wave. It could be understood in mathematics, but not linguistics.

It's like saying I kicked myself unexpectedly.

Impossible? Or complementarity?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
What striker is available that can play in the system Tuchel is trying to implement? If none are available you strengthen the areas you can. That being said, so far this Chelsea interest is wishful thinking from his agents in an attempt to get more money from United.

tomaldinho1

When people don’t like something they read, they immediately attack the credibility of the people who wrote it. The Athletic are as reliable as it gets.
I’m assuming you mean ‘like’ here to imply I have read an Athletic article and disagree/am offended and therefore think they’re crap? That would be a childish reaction, not to mention suggestion.

If you mean ‘like’ as in I don’t enjoy reading the articles, I actually think they’re generally well written - they’d be Tier 1 stylistically if that was a barometer - but I doubt any of us are reading any football outlets for that.

Godfather

We haven’t been chasing though, we made a bid, it was accepted, De Jong doesn’t want to join us unless he has no other options and we’ve left it at that.
If that was the case we would look for alternatives which isn't the case going by reports. We are going full in on Frenkie although the fecker doesn't seem interested. I just hope he has given us SOME kind of encouragement as to why we shouldn't buy at least two other CM right now.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If they want to add another midfielder to their already packed lineup, then they're more than welcome to do so. It would make no sense and be a waste, which is what makes me think that it's all a bit of BS. They have no need for him and if they truly did want him, they'd have bidded by now
Kante replacement maybe? Also presume they'll feck off a few of their fringe players there (RLC, Barkley, Gallagher).

Status
Not open for further replies.