Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

red thru&thru

No talk of levers. No deferred payments. Less hate or self-loathing of your own club. I always remember every start of every season was discussions of transfers and optimism.

Now the favourite pastime is to moan that the sky is falling. It cant be healthy.

One of the takeaways of Fever Pitch (movie) is that we love football because every season in August is like a re-boot or hot starting your life. A form of escapism and yet it felt real. The rollercoaster of life -- the elation, anger, hope, disappointment all packed into 10months. Then the great thing is we can re-boot and start again every august.

But we seem to have 50% of the folks here, being miserable gits that seem to be casing the destination rather than enjoying the journey. Maybe its the social media generation where affirmation and instant gratification are the primary objectives.

Thats changed. In that sense, the old days are much better, and certainly a lot healthier mentally -- filled with hope, ambition and optimism.
What a great post! Absolutely agree with EVERYTHING you said.

Supporting your club is an escapism. As you say, a new season. New hope. Fresh start. This year more than ever, we've made plenty of changes for the new season.

And genuinely agree with you, all this negativity, especially over a pass time, cannot be healthy for them.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I tell her that but she nuts me with her skinhead and kicks my head in with her Doc martins
Are Docs still a thing? I had my first pair, oxblood lace-ups for like 11or 12 quid. Thought I was splurging back then. Even went up some of the peaks of the Lake District in my Docs! :nervous: Was trying to prove I was 'ard!

red thru&thru

Match/shoot/90 minutes were a staple of my reading growing up
Oh yeah. Save up your pocket money, go to the corner shop and buying them, reading the magazine and then pinning up the posters/pics of your favourite players! I had blu tack all over my walls. Hahaha

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Are Docs still a thing? I had my first pair, oxblood lace-ups for like 11or 12 quid. Thought I was splurging back then. Even went up some of the peaks of the Lake District in my Docs! :nervous: Was trying to prove I was 'ard!
They most definitely are still a thing! My girlfriend is obsessed with them. Her last pair cost her something stupid like £120 or so, absolute madness. Then she decides to complain relentlessly when they hurt her feet because they need breaking in

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You know what works in the real world?

So answer this simple question:

Are you happy with our transfers?
Glass half full, yes so far I’m happy with the business we have done.

Glass half empty, what about this guy and that position and this club and that rival.

I know which of those sounds most fun to me, and after all football is a game to be enjoyed, don’t you agree?!

sglowrider

What a great post! Absolutely agree with EVERYTHING you said.

Supporting your club is an escapism. As you say, a new season. New hope. Fresh start. This year more than ever, we've made plenty of changes for the new season.

And genuinely agree with you, all this negativity, especially over a pass time, cannot be healthy for them.
I was talking to my Gen Z niece. They are a depressed lot. So little to look forward to. In college during Covid and so they couldn't develop their social groups since for 2 years the classes were done by zoom etc.
The world seems to be getting worse -- from financial to economic news to war etc. Their formative years have always been in shit times.

If you arent Gen Z, then you haven't got an excuse imo.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They most definitely are still a thing! My girlfriend is obsessed with them. Her last pair cost her something stupid like £120 or so, absolute madness. Then she decides to complain relentlessly when they hurt her feet because they need breaking in
The price of shoes now is shocking

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
They are now a fashion item, very much still a thing but they are ridiculously expensive now and made in the Far East.
I bet your feet were sore after that!

sglowrider

Dafuq! Seriously I really had to think about it at 12quid. But then again, a bag of chips was like 30p back then. A pint was 40p? (Clearly, I don't live in the UK anymore.)

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Dafuq! Seriously I really had to think about it at 12quid. But then again, a bag of chips was like 30p back then. A pint was 40p? (Clearly, I don't live in the UK anymore.)
Prices of things nowadays is asbolutely insane. The good thing about Docs is they tend to last for ages though. You have to be TRULY dedicated to walking to wear out a pair of Doc Martens

sglowrider

They are now a fashion item, very much still a thing but they are ridiculously expensive now and made in the Far East.
I bet your feet were sore after that!
I was more concerned about the scoutmaster.

Rained like the end of days and so we were constantly wet. The first night he suggested that we all slept in the nude to allow the clothes to dry faster!.... feckin Lake District in Oct/November? I was young and innocent but not that naive. But also I was more concerned about shrinkage. I went to an all-boy's school. Don't want to develop a reputation.

sglowrider

Prices of things nowadays is asbolutely insane. The good thing about Docs is they tend to last for ages though. You have to be TRULY dedicated to walking to wear out a pair of Doc Martens
Actually, I still have a couple of pairs of docs -- which I used to use to the office. They have to be at least 25yrs old. Still wearable. I suspect you could literally wear them till you are buried in them.

red thru&thru

You know what works in the real world?

So answer this simple question:

Are you happy with our transfers?
Analogy...

If you're after a car, you usually start with a budget in mind. Let's say £8k. You search for cars in that budget.

However, whilst looking, you come across your dream car which usually should be around £12k but it is on for sale for £9k. The seller is desperate to sell. They need to sell within a months time.

You know this. You call them up and offer them £8k. Seller says they will get back to you, as they hope to sell for more if they can. The seller has a month to get more for their car, so sits and waits.

As the buyer, you now have a choice. To wait, knowing you could get a right bargain on you dream car within your budget, or, buy another car, which will do the job, however, it is nothing compared to your dream car. You have 4 weeks to wait. Can you wait? How much better will your life be with your dream car?

Or the other option is, pay the extra £1k, but that means you can't pay your mortgage or bills for the following month.

What do you do?

The above, is where Manchester United are as the buyer.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Glass half full, yes so far I’m happy with the business we have done.

Glass half empty, what about this guy and that position and this club and that rival.

I know which of those sounds most fun to me, and after all football is a game to be enjoyed, don’t you agree?!
Disagree with your first sentence and agree with your last one. :D

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Actually, I still have a couple of pairs of docs -- which I used to use to the office. They have to be at least 25yrs old. Still wearable. I suspect you could literally wear them till you are buried in them.
I've never owned any myself, but my girlfriend LOVES them. I know they're great quality but i can't justify the price of them to be honest. I prefer trainers anyway.

I might try some one day, just not sure i can deal with the blisters and pain from breaking them in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Absolutely. I prefer a nice cheap pair that i can just slip on and off easily.
Can't be bothered with fancy pairs of Nike or Adidas trainers when they're likely to be filthy in a couple of weeks
I bought my first pair of adidas in at least 20 years a couple of weeks ago to celebrate a new job and in preparation for going on holiday soon. They’re filthy already

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I bought my first pair of adidas in at least 20 years a couple of weeks ago to celebrate a new job and in preparation for going on holiday soon. They’re filthy already
I've got some Gelert boot style trainers at the moment, and they're really comfy. Good quality too and only cost me £25 i think. Filthy, but hey, i don't really care as they were cheap and cheerful

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Analogy...

If you're after a car, you usually start with a budget in mind. Let's say £8k. You search for cars in that budget.

However, whilst looking, you come across your dream car which usually should be around £12k but it is on for sale for £9k. The seller is desperate to sell. They need to sell within a months time.

You know this. You call them up and offer them £8k. Seller says they will get back to you, as they hope to sell for more if they can. The seller has a month to get more for their car, so sits and waits.

As the buyer, you now have a choice. To wait, knowing you could get a right bargain on you dream car within your budget, or, buy another car, which will do the job, however, it is nothing compared to your dream car. You have 4 weeks to wait. Can you wait? How much better will your life be with your dream car?

Or the other option is, pay the extra £1k, but that means you can't pay your mortgage or bills for the following month.

What do you do?

The above, is where Manchester United are as the buyer.
Car salesman?
Never trust a car salesman. :D

sglowrider

Disagree with your first sentence and agree with your last one. :D
The key Christina is that you need to taper your expectations this coming season. New organisational structure. There will be a learning curve for everyone.

I suspect our baseline is Arnold's timing our take-off to time it with the retirement or leaving of Klopp and Pep. I really can't see the two being there for another few more years esp Pep. Too intense a character.

But ETH seems to have some substance between his ears. So maybe we can get back to the top sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.