Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LPolllance

Some online sources claim that Barca will not sell Frenkie, while others link him to city and Bayern.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Worst case scenario did happen for barcelona so what do ya guys think cheeky bid for Frankie in jan? Swap with pogba?

Would he suit us at all?

Alemar

Worst case scenario did happen for barcelona so what do ya guys think cheeky bid for Frankie in jan? Swap with pogba?

Would he suit us at all?
Of course de Jong is a better player than McTominay, so he would seriously improve us. No question about it

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Would be a massive signing but I doubt very much it happens

Red the Bear

Something less generic
How did he play last night?
Terrible like everyone else

The barca midfield couldn't string 3 straight passes together which is very uncharacteristic of them(lost possession 47 to 53)

I wouldn't hold it against him though its just one of those patches

Ekeke

Terrible like everyone else

The barca midfield couldn't string 3 straight passes together which is very uncharacteristic of them(lost possession 47 to 53)

I wouldn't hold it against him though its just one of those patches
You dont think its concerning that he isnt doing the one thing he was built up to be amazing at?

He'd obviously be an improvement over our midfield options and might be worth a discounted fee closer to £50-60 million, but I think its quite right to hold it against him when his club needs him the most having had a huge transfer and being brought in as the future of the club and not being able to live up to it and be the top player he was said to be

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You dont think its concerning that he isnt doing the one thing he was built up to be amazing at?

He'd obviously be an improvement over our midfield options and might be worth a discounted fee closer to £50-60 million, but I think its quite right to hold it against him when his club needs him the most having had a huge transfer and being brought in as the future of the club and not being able to live up to it and be the top player he was said to be
No, because he's being played out of position.
He plays as a no 8, whereas he is a DM and his best position is that of Busquets (no 6). He'd be a perfect Fred partner.

He's definitely not a leader. Not every player has to be, so I don't mind that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Fair enough but barcelona are in shambles right now even messi who has proven himself again and again wouldn't have made a difference

He also has enough decent performances in the last 3 seasons to vouch for his quality

I will say this he ain't a player to perform when those around him don't he seems to need a functioning unit around him to be effective

Sviken

I'm hearing his wages are absolutely insane though. 400k a week. He needs to cut that in half before any team considers him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Was in the EA Team of the season in his first two seasons for the club :wenger: .

In all seriousness, he has been fine and has suffered loss of form this season. Also hasnt been as good for the NT but he has been coached by two very poor coaches in Koeman/De Boer recently as well.

He's class and will find his form. I can imagine he isnt that happy at Barcelona, Messi left and he mainly went there for Messi and Messi's Barcelona, the club is on a fall, and the team is no longer world class.

He's on huge wages but I doubt he would stay there for 4 more years just for the sake of his salary, maybe he wants to find himself and help the club back up, if I were him, I'd move to the PL.

There is no trophy for sticking by a club you've been at for less than 3 years, Pogba stayed at the club where he graduated as an academy and it got him absolutely nothing and a big part of the United fans want him out.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Fair enough but barcelona are in shambles right now even messi who has proven himself again and again wouldn't have made a difference

He also has enough decent performances in the last 3 seasons to vouch for his quality

I will say this he ain't a player to perform when those around him don't he seems to need a functioning unit around him to be effective
Not sure your last bit was true as he transformed a very dire Dutch NT with a non-functioning midfield. It became functioning when he debuted and never functions when he doesnt play.

Also at Ajax, though Schone and Donny were good they werent always good. Frenkie has always been good at Ajax.

slored1

If Ten Hag comes in it is a no brainer.

De Jong-Fred
Bruno

Great midfield trio to have.

Pronewbie

Peep
I'm hearing his wages are absolutely insane though. 400k a week. He needs to cut that in half before any team considers him.
With the recent Barca paycut(s) it should be lower now. He'll be the perfect player for us.

Missing out on Modric and Kroos to Real Madrid 10 years ago cost us badly. Instead we brought in Mata and Fellaini.

Blood Mage

His performances for Barca have been alarmingly poor lately. Given the wages he's on I think there's smarter business to be done out there.

Ekeke

How do you know Messi wouldnt have made a difference? Last season they were 3rd with Messi.

Now they're 7th

Ekeke

No, because he's being played out of position.
He plays as a no 8, whereas he is a DM and his best position is that of Busquets (no 6). He'd be a perfect Fred partner.

He's definitely not a leader. Not every player has to be, so I don't mind that.
He's not good at DM things either

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would be buzzing if this was possible. I think he's pretty much the only type of midfielder we're missing and if Garner/Galbraith was to come back to the squad, could learn from him too.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The clubs I can see him going to:
  • Bayern Munich - They always seem like a team that can buy anyone from Barcelona. Kimmich maybe blocking the transfer a bit, but Bayern aren't going to let down a good transfer opportunity.
  • Man City - Seems like a Pep possesion player. Fernandinho needs to be replaced asap; however they are still arguably trying to balance Gundogan, Rodri, Fernandinho, De Bryune, Bernado Silva, Foden and Grealish that could play within their 3 man midfield.
  • Manchester United - if Ten Hag is our next manager, I can see him wanting to link up in the strongest league with Ten Hag and VDB. He arguably plays in our weakest position where we don't have a player except Matic.

Ekeke

He presses less than any of our midfielders, in fact less than most of our attackers. Ronaldo is the only one of our attackers that presses less than that... Shaw and the CBs are the only other ones less than 10 with Ronaldo

Idxomer

He presses less than any of our midfielders, in fact less than most of our attackers. Ronaldo is the only one of our attackers that presses less than that... Shaw and the CBs are the only other ones less than 10 with Ronaldo
All of his defensive stats look pretty underwhelming.

A midfield of him and Fred would get easily overrun in the PL, probably more than a one that has Fred and Pogba.

Ekeke

A midfield of him and Fred would get easily overrun in the PL, probably more than a one that has Fred and Pogba.
Yep. He's an attacking/on the ball player who can play from deep. He's absolutely not a defensive player. He's like Jorginho was when he first went to Chelsea, now he does a more honest job in there. But when he first went he was a dissappointment

Musiala's goal last night was an example in practice. De Jong was back in a position to defend in his own box the ball comes in and Musiala reacts to it while De Jong doesnt. You'd want a defensive player to see the danger and react, he doesnt because he doesnt think like that. He's all about being given the ball.

No doubt thats why his current club doesn't play him there and lets him get forward instead

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He would be a fantastic signing if at all possible. Purely based on the potential level that he can play at and his ability. I wouldn't look too much into struggles with this barca team, it's inevitable that they'll be shit for a bit with the Messi void now. But De Jong would be a game changing signing. He's the closest player to someone like Modric around IMO.

No a midfield of De Jong and Fred likely wouldn't work, we can't escape the fact that we need a true defensive midfielder... but as a #8, few have the potential he does. I like Fred, but he doesn't have a patch on the potential De Jong has.

Ekeke

He would be a fantastic signing if at all possible. Purely based on the potential level that he can play at and his ability. I wouldn't look too much into struggles with this barca team, it's inevitable that they'll be shit for a bit with the Messi void now. But De Jong would be a game changing signing. He's the closest player to someone like Modric around IMO.

No a midfield of De Jong and Fred likely wouldn't work, we can't escape the fact that we need a true defensive midfielder... but as a #8, few have the potential he does. I like Fred, but he doesn't have a patch on the potential De Jong has.
Modric without the defensive work that turned him from a failed #10 signing to a quality DM for Madrid, yes.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Can you compare the distance he covers?

Ekeke

Can you compare the distance he covers?
Doing what? Is he making runs in behind the defence every 2 seconds? It certainly isnt pressing or ball winning.

Andreas Perreira used to have the most sprints in the team. Running without consequences doesnt make you great.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I
How do you know Messi wouldnt have made a difference? Last season they were 3rd with Messi.

Now they're 7th
I meant the bayern game they lost 8-2 last time Leo was there after all

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's not good at DM things either

It's misleading because he exclusively plays as a box to box player at Barca. Busquets is a great player and Barca don't have a lot of options further up the pitch.

He is quite fast, and his defensive positioning is good. He's always in the right area and knows when to make that last second challenge to salvage a bad situation.

He's definitely a no 6 where he can get on the ball in deeper areas and when he's paired with another no 6, he can take a little more risk to play make.

Looking at FDJ's defensive stats is like looking at McTominay's G/A's when he's playing deep. It doesn't make sense.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Knowing Woody, he'd make a big PR campaign and talk about how the club pulled a coup bringing in de Jong just before he reveals he signed Luuk de Jong.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Doing what? Is he making runs in behind the defence every 2 seconds? It certainly isnt pressing or ball winning.

Andreas Perreira used to have the most sprints in the team. Running without consequences doesnt make you great.
I guess you can't?

sherrinford

Yep. He's an attacking/on the ball player who can play from deep. He's absolutely not a defensive player. He's like Jorginho was when he first went to Chelsea, now he does a more honest job in there. But when he first went he was a dissappointment
Semantics.

Yes, he is a player who excels on the ball as opposed to defensively, but he can also be described as a DM as that word is associated with the position in which he excels - no.6, the deepest midfielder, first function midfielder, holding player, whatever.

wolvored

Utd would pay it. De Gea £375k. Pogba with alleged £400k contract on the table. feck knows how much Ronaldo gets and how about Sanchez when he was here? Anything from £400k-£600k was reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.