Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Will be the easiest chant ever if we sign him.

Frenkie de J, Frenkie de J, Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!

and so on.

jesperjaap

I think you're underestimating the pull of a manager.

Jose got us Pogba who is arguably a bigger star than de Jong in similar circumstances.

Liverpool, City aren't going to go for him, they have bigger fish to fry (Pool need Salah replacement, City have like 6 players who can do the job de Jong does).

PSG will get Pogba and are stacked at CM.

Juve are in as big as a mess as us - they can't really match the money we pay and Italy isn't exactly the league most players want to go to.

Bayern will be a frontrunner if they want him but I haven't seen any links. Just some reports around Gravenberch. But I feel like we can still outcompete by giving him a fat pay check. Bayern are pretty responsible financially.

The only question in my mind is if Barca will tell him to go. He seems happy in the city and will probably just enjoy life there instead of taking on a new challenge.
Come on, Jose didnt get us Pogba, we had suffered a few bad seasons but were still a compartively big fish in teh current cliamte, that isnt the case now, we are a historical comemrcial club...Pogba was a player with links to us and the city already.

Liverpool, why re you sure Salah leaves, or Pogba goes to PSG or them beign stacked has ever made a blind bit of difference they will just sell or leave out others.

Not saying all or any of these clubs will be in for him, but he is a big player, there is bound to be big interest in him, hardly like we will get a free run on him and bar the history of the club and that he knows the manager, what reason as a neutral is there for him to come here if other big clubs go into him?

For me I understand and am not totally disgreeing with what you say, but I do strongly disagree with your last line. Barca will sell him, this isnt the usual contact game as he is on a huge one and there is no bargaining there. They are to me at least obviously putting him out there against the managers wishes...Its just a case of whether or not someone is wiling to pay £60m+ for them to get there money back and in that respect, I highly doubt we will be the only big club in for him and how we are currently....that has to be a concern surely?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This feels like a sale that makes more sense next summer than this summer. It makes sense for them to move on de Jong and roll with Gavi and Pedri, but just not fully committing this season due to their ages. It's like Fabregas in 2013. We all knew he wasn't going to leave just yet. He left the year after which I think is going to be the same thing with De Jong.

jesperjaap

Aside from the Ten Hag connection (and who knows how much of a factor that may be), I think main factors are that we need him more than any other club close to our size could need a player like that, and with Pogba and several others leaving, we've got the budget room for a player on his wages like nobody else other than PSG if Mbappe leaves - and they'd want a big name forward in first and foremost if that happens.

Well yes, we will certianly have more wages availbel after contracts end....but is danglign a huge financial carrot at a player to convince him the answer? Hasnt worked out well for us the last decade. Obviously the wages he is already on, is a little irrelevant, any club will have to pay him big big wages which as you say narrows the field.

Dont get me wrong, in all the positions we need, he is about the best option I feel for one of them in terms of quality and fitting in to a role. WOuld love him here far more than any of the other big fee players we are being linked with for certain positions, msot of which I think would flop, DejOng I think would be a great signing.

But at the expense of huge salar over others to convince him, a huge chunk of our transfer budget on one signing and in competition probably/possibly with other giant historical or currently football clubs....the 95% done report I dont buy into whatsoever

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This feels like a sale that makes more sense next summer than this summer. It makes sense for them to move on de Jong and roll with Gavi and Pedri, but just not fully committing this season due to their ages. It's like Fabregas in 2013. We all knew he wasn't going to leave just yet. He left the year after which I think is going to be the same thing with De Jong.
That ignores the matter of extracting maximum value for the player. This is the highest point, it’s likely downhill from here unless they offer a new contract, which they will be terrified of doing given his current one.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don't watch Barca much, but the Athletic article today paints De Jong as a player that hasn't really made the step up at that level. He seems worth buying if we can get him, but perhaps not the slam dunk game-changer that a lot seem to think he'll be?
I was discussing him here recently and saying that it probably says a lot about him that he's not figured much for Barca. One poster was saying he doesn't fit there because Busquets plays his position. But given their ages and the fact Barca are pushing more youth through, I'd have thought if they believed in him then there start to phase out Busquets.

I can't say I've seen much of him at Barca and don't watch Barca a lot at all. But it is a bit suspect how he's not worked out there. Especially when we've seen other Ajax players struggle away from there in recent times. He's obviously got talent, but just how good is he?

jesperjaap

But they are a diferent club arent they at the moment, they have to sell a lot to buy a little. Almost all there decisions in the market are hugely financial ones, that wasnt the case then, look at Messi for example.

I think Pedri is about the only player they wouldnt sell for silly money at the moment, at the time of Fabregas, 90% of the squad were virtualy untouchable to other clubs

jesperjaap

I was discussing him here recently and saying that it probably says a lot about him that he's not figured much for Barca. One poster was saying he doesn't fit there because Busquets plays his position. But given their ages and the fact Barca are pushing more youth through, I'd have thought if they believed in him then there start to phase out Busquets.

I can't say I've seen much of him at Barca and don't watch Barca a lot at all. But it is a bit suspect how he's not worked out there. Especially when we've seen other Ajax players struggle away from there in recent times. He's obviously got talent, but just how good is he?
Can confess o only seeing them a few times, everytime I ave, he has played and always looked good.

Really dont think can dispute his quality. At Ajax it seemed very apparent that both he and DeLigt were levels above some of the other starts in that side. Have to confess surprised even with the yougnsters it hasnt worked out in a stellar way though, he is a quality player and jsut seemed made for Barcelona the way he plays

Rolaholic

He's mainly been played out of position to accommodate their legend in Busquets and over the last year they've had La Masia products in Gavi and Nico coming through who can play in the positions he likes to operate in in Central midfield.

He's still a tremendous talent and I truly believe ETH would be able to play towards his strengths and get the best out of him again if they were reunited.

pillo o'culture

Supports
utub disliek button
I'd plain oppose this move if not for ETH. i mean has anyone checked Frenkie's stats vis a vis to our very own Fred.
deJong might be more flashy, bc he has more crossing and through ball, but is it that much of an edge? also he likes to dribble to get out of press which could translate to good and bad, though it probably doesn't get him much credit at Barca. Fred on another hand, has more defensive output than deJong. Though he often get dribble past more than deJong, but that's simply bc deJong rarely press and tackle.
So basically we buy another Fred with potentially twice fhe the wage.
Why we buy another Fred, do we want to field deJong-Fred (which both lack defensively) or deJong-McT (then bench Fred?). What do you guys think?

Walters_19_MuFc

I get you but because De Jong can play in a pivot. I think it works, would only be an issue if he couldn’t pivot.
What I'm saying is, both he and Kamara are similar, in that they like to start play, hence why I don't think it would work. Laimer, Haidara, Tchouameni, etc would be perfect, though.

croadyman

Feels to me like Erik won't dither around with this, if he senses De Jong isn't open to it then will move on to next target. I feel will be the same decisive approach for any targets.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Will be the easiest chant ever if we sign him.

Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!
Frenkie de J!

and so on.

How does that ryhme with panic?

Red00012

… Why you always in a mood?
Feckin' 'round, actin' brand new
I ain't tryna tell you what to do
But try to play it cool
Baby, I ain't playing by your rules
Everything look better with a view
feckin' 'round, actin' brand new
But try to play it cool
Everything look better with a view, yeah
… I could never get attached
When I start to feel, I unattach
Somehow always end up feeling bad
Baby, I am not your dad, it's not all you want from me
I just want your company
… Girl, it's obvious, elephant in the room
And we're a part of it, don't act so confused
And you love startin' it, now I'm in a mood
Now we arguin' in my bedroom
… We play games of love to avoid the depression
We been here before
And I won't be your victim
feckin' 'round, actin' brand new
But try to play it cool
Everything look better with a view

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Hmm Santi Ovalle is tier 2 for Barca, same for Romero. Their tier 1's according to reddit are Edu Polo, Xavi Campos & Alfredo Martinez.
I feel like that's outdated. Alfredo Martinez comes out with some questionable reports whereas most of the Mundo Deportivo journalists, Santi Ovalle, and Romero amongst others come out with more reliable stuff. I can list them all on here, but it'll be a long list.

Giggs' right foot

Wether that is a credible source or not - if he in fact is being chased by Bayern, City, PSG and us, that would greatly minimize our chances of getting him.

We can offer the history of our badge (more or less meaningless to a lot of modern players), money and work with ETH, and I don't see the latter two outweighing a move to City, PSG and Bayern.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wether that is a credible source or not - if he in fact is being chased by Bayern, City, PSG and us, that would greatly minimize our chances of getting him.

We can offer the history of our badge (more or less meaningless to a lot of modern players), money and work with ETH, and I don't see the latter two outweighing a move to City, PSG and Bayern.
Why would anyone want to play for PSG? Our fans really do us a disservice. PSG literally just have money and an opportunity to win their joke of a league. We’ll probably win the CL again before they do. Totally empty and hollow club. I very much doubt Bayern would buy both him AND Gravenberch, but I doubt they would pay his wage and their league that they are about to win for the 10th year straight is a similar joke to PSGs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What I'm saying is, both he and Kamara are similar, in that they like to start play, hence why I don't think it would work. Laimer, Haidara, Tchouameni, etc would be perfect, though.
Schone 18/19 was not Laimer, Haidara, Tchouameni type of player though. Even in his previous seasons before 18/19, he was more attacking mid but being converted in double pivot role in 18/19 season.

Giggs' right foot

Why would anyone want to play for PSG? Our fans really do us a disservice. PSG literally just have money and an opportunity to win their joke of a league. We’ll probably win the CL again before they do. Totally empty and hollow club. I very much doubt Bayern would buy both him AND Gravenberch, but I doubt they would pay his wage and their league that they are about to win for the 10th year straight is a similar joke to PSGs.
Money - living in Paris - being certain of at least 6-8 trophies over the course of a 4/5-year contract - playing with players like Messi, Neymar, Veratti etc - being in the CL every year.

Only the bolded part is something we too can offer with certainty.

As sad a state the Ligue 1 is in, all the above will certainly persuade a lot of players - and for a decade it has, as history shows.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Money - living in Paris - being certain of at least 6-8 trophies over the course of a 4/5-year contract - playing with players like Messi, Neymar, Veratti etc - being in the CL every year.

Only the bolded part is something we too can offer with certainty.

As sad a state the Ligue 1 is in, all the above will certainly persuade a lot of players - and for a decade it has, as history shows.
The bolded part is the only relevant one as I’m sure you are aware. Top players would have no interest at all in spending prime years in Ligue Un if the money wasn’t right. And their trophies are also irrelevant.

They have a few unmotivated superstars, and we also have Cristiano Ronaldo. PSG attracts players because they pay a lot. They are not a particularly respected team in the CL, and they play in a league that isn’t particularly respected. Their biggest star is also aware if it and currently wants out.

And Paris is shit too.

Giggs' right foot

The bolded part is the only relevant one as I’m sure you are aware. Top players would have no interest at all in spending prime years in Ligue Un if the money wasn’t right. And their trophies are also irrelevant.

They have a few unmotivated superstars, and we also have Cristiano Ronaldo. PSG attracts players because they pay a lot. They are not a particularly respected team in the CL, and they play in a league that isn’t particularly respected. Their biggest star is also aware if it and currently wants out.

And Paris is shit too.
It's not. CL football is something that thousands of players make and have made the deciding factor when choosing their next club.

You are taking your own opinions and are applying them to every other player - but just because you find their trophies meaningless, I'm sure that's not the case for a lot of players. Just because you find Paris shit, that's certainly not the case for a lot of others.

And what is "a respected team" in CL anyway? I can assure you - with the way we've played these past 9 years - that every team would rather draw us than PSG in the CL. Every - single - team. So is it just because we won the thing back in the day, that you consider us a respected team?

Charles Miller

It's not. CL football is something that thousands of players make and have made the deciding factor when choosing their next club.

You are taking your own opinions and are applying them to every other player - but just because you find their trophies meaningless, I'm sure that's not the case for a lot of players. Just because you find Paris shit, that's certainly not the case for a lot of others.
I should not post off topics, i dont know if modes are goind delete it, but i can't resist. There is a trend in social medias now: alt right lunatics mainly from UK and East Europe go to Paris trying to catch on video any bad behavior from non-white French people..Then they create a narrative that Paris is awful due to the presence of those non-white french citizens. If you read the comment section of those videos, for some reason is filled with alt right yanks and british. They typical motto is: "Paris is shiet."

frostbite

And Paris is shit too.
Paris is the best city in the world. I wish I was rich enough to live there. Sure, every large city is great if you are as rich as these footballers are, but still Paris is the best.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

And what is "a respected team" in CL anyway? I can assure you - with the way we've played these past 9 years - that every team would rather draw us than PSG in the CL. Every - single - team. So is it just because we won the thing back in the day, that you consider us a respected team?
I’m sure PSG wouldn’t want to draw us.

And ‘CL football’ is a bit of a subjective argument anyway. What does that even mean? There’s a big difference between not joining Burnley because you want to play in the CL and not joining a team that, barring a disaster, will be in it every year, especially with 5 places. Or he could just return to Ajax and play all the CL football he wants.

NewYorkRed

Paris is the best city in the world. I wish I was rich enough to live there. Sure, every large city is great if you are as rich as these footballers are, but still Paris is the best.
Yeah no sorry the best city in the world is NYC.

Paris isn’t even the best big city in Europe imo. London and Madrid are both way nicer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Every city is great if your rich but for your average folk i doubt Paris ranks very high.

Last edited:

Giggs' right foot

I’m sure PSG wouldn’t want to draw us.

And ‘CL football’ is a bit of a subjective argument anyway. What does that even mean? There’s a big difference between not joining Burnley because you want to play in the CL and not joining a team that, barring a disaster, will be in it every year, especially with 5 places. Or he could just return to Ajax and play all the CL football he wants.
It's not subjective in regards to the sources and the scenario that I commented on - if de Jong has offers from Bayern, City, PSG and us - our lack of CL football will play a part in his decision making.

Thereby not saying that he certainly will snub us because of it - just that it's an extremely important tournament for players of de Jong's caliber and it will go into his consideration. Something he won't have to worry about if he joins Bayern, City or PSG.

And sure... if you take us and Shrewsbury - PSG would most likely prefer playing Shrewsbury. But take this years CL - PSG finished 2nd in the group and had following potential opponents for the knock out stage:
- Liverpool
- City
- Ajax
- Real Madrid
- Bayern
- Us
- Lille
- Juventus

Of those 8 teams I'm certain - because I have eyes in my head - that PSG would have us in their top 4 of preferred opponents - maybe even top 3, depending of their opinion of us vs Juve.

And take almost all teams that reached playoff, I'm sure the vast majority would prefer playing us to PSG - so again, if you don't mind me asking - what is a CL respected team? A team that's won the competition? Because that rules out many teams I consider european giants.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

It's a near certainty FdJ will be moved in the summer especially if Barca want Lewandowski. The queue should be a big one and we don't have much else to offer except wages, EtH and a project for the future.

Joseunited

It's a near certainty FdJ will be moved in the summer especially if Barca want Lewandowski. The queue should be a big one and we don't have much else to offer except wages, EtH and a project for the future.
Some would say not to bad a carrot to dangle in front of you.If he wants CL football i reckon ETH will get it in his 1st year, apart from the top 2 the best of the rest can be caught with a good manager,a good summer transfer window and proper coaching.

I'm hopeful for the 1st time in ages.

reelworld

yeah, but his contract runs out in 2 years and I don't think Barca would get the kind of money they want for him with 1 year left in his contract. If they want serious money for him, it has to be this summer.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Absolutely mad if you think he'd leave Xavi's masterpiece for a science experiment.

lenny_1248

Foreign journos are much more bullish than the English ones regarding the chances it happens but the English ones are indeed confirming club interest which would stem directly from ETH
Please stop posting this guy. He's a fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.