Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestie07

No one can blame him if he doesn't want to sign for us, this season has been an abomination.

However, I'm hoping our new management will move on quickly to other targets if this indeed turns out to be a dead end. Don't want the entire summer running after unrealistic targets.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolutely mad if you think he'd leave Xavi's masterpiece for a science experiment.
Barcelona don't have much money. It nay be tough for them to compete with Madrid if they keep signing top talent like Camaving, Mbappe etc Barcelona may challenge again soon, you never know, but a club with their financial issues isn't the sure shot thing it used to get. It's Barcelona but a financially cautious version.

AndySmith1990

I know people want to find something to get excited about after the season we've just had, but feeding off scraps of rumours about Frenkie De Jong ain't the place for it. It's a non starter. We have nothing to offer but money, and throwing obscene amounts of money at players to convince them to join only ends badly. Not only that but we have a reduced budget from failing to make the CL. Chasing a fella from Barcelona all summer who'd likely cost 50% of our budget is exactly the sort of thing Woodward would do.

Mainoldo

What I'm saying is, both he and Kamara are similar, in that they like to start play, hence why I don't think it would work. Laimer, Haidara, Tchouameni, etc would be perfect, though.
So what did Scholes and Carrick do? You understand now? De Jong will have the freedom to roam forward more knowing Kamara will cover once he’s passed the halfway line.

Partnered with those names mentioned he’ll have to be more of a Matic.

MUFC OK

The only leverage we have is ETH in this deal. It would all depend if De Jong would want to play for Ten Hag again or not.
You don't think he might fancy playing with the greatest player of all time?

sherrinford

So what did Scholes and Carrick do? You understand now? De Jong will have the freedom to roam forward more knowing Kamara will cover once he’s passed the halfway line.

Partnered with those names mentioned he’ll have to be more of a Matic.
Scholes was always comfortable as a second function midfielder, De Jong is not. It sounds like Kamara will be taking up the positions that De Jong himself would want to be operating in to receive the ball. 'More of a Matic', positionally, is exactly what we should be aiming for with De Jong.

Yeah no sorry the best city in the world is NYC.

Paris isn’t even the best big city in Europe imo. London and Madrid are both way nicer.
Madrid? :lol:

Here’s someone who’s never been to Europe.

The is always subjective, for me Sydney pisses on NYC, as does of course, Rome. NYC shits all over Madrid, and is obviously a much better city than London.
Paris I love, amazing City.

All depends what you want from your City, there’s no correct answer. There is a wrong answer, and that is Madrid.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Paris is alright. Wasn’t ever blown away with it

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
The kind of signing we should be avoiding. Just see it as another potential big name flop, we need to focus on players who haven't made their big move yet.

Hughes35

Really hoping this happens. What a start to the window getting Ten Hag, De Jong and somebody like Eriksen on a free would be...... As well as all the dross that is leaving.

jackal&hyde

I know people want to find something to get excited about after the season we've just had, but feeding off scraps of rumours about Frenkie De Jong ain't the place for it. It's a non starter. We have nothing to offer but money, and throwing obscene amounts of money at players to convince them to join only ends badly. Not only that but we have a reduced budget from failing to make the CL. Chasing a fella from Barcelona all summer who'd likely cost 50% of our budget is exactly the sort of thing Woodward would do.
We're 6th in the PL for Crist's sake, not some relegation battling club. Plus we're still Manchester United with both huge ability to offer wages and all the other commercial benefits that players get playing for us and with one of the most exciting managers in the game.

People pretending like we're Burnley these days.

youmeletsfly

He ain't coming anyway, these are just stories for clicks, like we will see the whole summer.

Since the whole setup at United changed, most of the journos lost their contacts and know jack shit about what is happening at the club. Taking this in mind, they'll know even less about transfers so they'll link players to us left, right and center for them clicks and ad revenue.

If he were to leave Barca, he has much better options where he'd be guaranteed to win stuff.

JohnnyKills

Agree 100%

vanderpants

Why would he want to sign for us ahead of other clubs that can offer him CL and the chance of winning something? If he managed to stay awake watching any of our games this season then theirs no way on earth he will be interested in signing for us. This transfer window will be a tough one for us and I don't expect to see big-name players coming

RuudTom83

Ralf’s number one complaint is a lack of physicality in the United team.

I feel if it is FDJ + another signing, then no worries…But if it is just going to be adding Frankie to McFred then United will still have problems.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I feel if it is FDJ + another signing, then no worries…But if it is just going to be adding Frankie to McFred then United will still have problems.
How is Frenkie off the ball? Is he someone we can rely on to press and be robust in terms of physical output?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If City or PSG are interested we're fecked. We need a free run at this thing.

Can’t Barca just sell us De Jong and get Pogba in on a free as his replacement? :D
Weirdly enough, Pogba is a better fit for the position FDJ is mostly playing nowadays (LCM), as that's his old Juve position.

I think there were reports that Xavi veto'd Pogba a while back.

Mainoldo

Scholes was always comfortable as a second function midfielder, De Jong is not. It sounds like Kamara will be taking up the positions that De Jong himself would want to be operating in to receive the ball. 'More of a Matic', positionally, is exactly what we should be aiming for with De Jong.
De Jong is not a Matic. Not now anyway..

Kingslayer18

He could be more difficult to get, it seems there is more competition at present as he's younger, cheaper, coming from a smaller club and would demand lower wages. Fairly credible reports that Liverpool and Chelsea are seriously sniffing around for him this summer.

Re. Bellingham we may not get him even if we want him and if ETH wants to play a 433 I don't think signing FDJ hinders that propsect of going for Bellingham as they are two very different kind of players.
I think the Liverpool connection is more press linked than realistic, considering the numerous midfield options they have. Naby Keita looks like he's finally coming good for them, they still have Curtis Jones, Ox and Harvey Elliot. Chelsea's is probably the more concrete, as they've been linked with him for awhile and Kante is getting injury prone. If we hadn't had our annus horribilis of a season, we would be the best option for him.

That's true, a 433 with FDJ doesn't prevent us going for Bellingham but given the contract extension, I would think Bruno is going to be a fixture in this team for awhile. I guess my point is, should we not pump the brakes on FDJ, first look to secure Tchouameni and then if there's budget & some sales go for FDJ. Barcelona wants to sell, so we don't have to do it first thing in the transfer window as we will have time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think the Liverpool connection is more press linked than realistic, considering the numerous midfield options they have. Naby Keita looks like he's finally coming good for them, they still have Curtis Jones, Ox and Harvey Elliot. Chelsea's is probably the more concrete, as they've been linked with him for awhile and Kante is getting injury prone. If we hadn't had our annus horribilis of a season, we would be the best option for him.

That's true, a 433 with FDJ doesn't prevent us going for Bellingham but given the contract extension, I would think Bruno is going to be a fixture in this team for awhile. I guess my point is, should we not pump the brakes on FDJ, first look to secure Tchouameni and then if there's budget & some sales go for FDJ. Barcelona wants to sell, so we don't have to do it first thing in the transfer window as we will have time.
Is he feck, he's lucky he's not been sent off about 3 times this season. He's not good enough for them.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Frenkie is very physical, the guy has very good stamina (Barcelona was initially very much surprised by his physical ability I can remember). The guy covers a lot of ground every match, is fast, and difficult to get off the ball.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's not subjective in regards to the sources and the scenario that I commented on - if de Jong has offers from Bayern, City, PSG and us - our lack of CL football will play a part in his decision making.

Thereby not saying that he certainly will snub us because of it - just that it's an extremely important tournament for players of de Jong's caliber and it will go into his consideration. Something he won't have to worry about if he joins Bayern, City or PSG.

And sure... if you take us and Shrewsbury - PSG would most likely prefer playing Shrewsbury. But take this years CL - PSG finished 2nd in the group and had following potential opponents for the knock out stage:
- Liverpool
- City
- Ajax
- Real Madrid
- Bayern
- Us
- Lille
- Juventus

Of those 8 teams I'm certain - because I have eyes in my head - that PSG would have us in their top 4 of preferred opponents - maybe even top 3, depending of their opinion of us vs Juve.

And take almost all teams that reached playoff, I'm sure the vast majority would prefer playing us to PSG - so again, if you don't mind me asking - what is a CL respected team? A team that's won the competition? Because that rules out many teams I consider european giants.
A team that other teams believe. I don’t think anyone really believes PSG when it comes to the CL. They don’t even believe themselves. I suspect a United with one season of decent form behind us will be more feared than them.

We have sooooo much proof of current CL qualification being of little priority for players, the wage, manager, prospects/project weighs so much heavier; yet people constantly drag this one out.
One season out of the CL means next to nothing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He doesn't mean muscle, he means lack of ability to run and be competitive.

That is across the whole team by the way, not just midfield. ETH may want something different.

If we can keep the ball properly then we won't need to run as much.

GoldanoGraham

Get worries when there is so much chatter everywhere about an imminent deal……been here many many times before…..

Was hoping for a more stealthy approach going forward…..however, if it’s being pushed from the Barca side then basically they just trying to create an auction and get some of the big boys who have CL football in the mix.

We either get this nailed asap or it will go like many before….

Status
Not open for further replies.