Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Pedri has just renewed until 2026 and with a clause of €1000M. He wants to stay and Barcelona is not going to sell him
What's the Barcelona view on De Jong?

1. He is great and wouldn't sell or
2. has he been good but not reaching up to the expected initial levels
3. Complete flop
4. Good but the younger players coming up are better.

FriedClams

3. Complete flop
5. They think they can build around him, but he is realistically their most valuable asset at the moment, and may cash in.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo

3. Complete flop
Right now Barcelona's opinion is what Xavi says.
De Jong last year had very good moments, coincided with the team's comeback in the league and the Spanish Cup.

2. has he been good but not reaching up to the expected initial levels, the hope is that Xavi knows how to make him play at his highest level.

Barcelona's plans are to sell expendable players and with that money sign 2 wingers (Adeyemi and Coman) and a fast CB

Redlyn

Pedri has just renewed until 2026 and with a clause of €1000M. He wants to stay and Barcelona is not going to sell him
1 billion, really. I think players who sign stupid contracts like that regret it.

Sinbad the sailor

Supports
Football
1 billion, really. I think players who sign stupid contracts like that regret it.
De Jong is in the same boat. Has a contract until 2026 with a 400million release clause. The only tenable player is gavi who has a release clause of 50 mil.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
It means nothing. In Spain its mandatory to have a release clause by legislation, unlike in other countries. In Engeland almost no player has such a clause. Them accepting a 100million euro bid for Pedri is just as likely as us accepting a 100million euro bid for lets say Greenwood who has no clause at all. Just because there is a legal requirement for such a clause in Spain they have to put something in there, most of the time resulting in the clause being so high its basically the same as having no clause.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It means nothing. In Spain its mandatory to have a release clause by legislation, unlike in other countries. In Engeland almost no player has such a clause. Them accepting a 100million euro bid for Pedri is just as likely as us accepting a 100million euro bid for lets say Greenwood who has no clause at all. Just because there is a legal requirement for such a clause in Spain they have to put something in there, most of the time resulting in the clause being so high its basically the same as having no clause.
Pedri is clearly not for sale though, not sure how much more you would need them to do to show that. This said contract was literally signed 6 weeks ago too, the clause is impossible, and the player is a huge part of their plans. He’s going nowhere.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
People getting their knickers in knots about high release clauses is something I'll never understand, but it happens every time one is mentioned on here. :lol:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Pedri is clearly not for sale though, not sure how much more you would need them to do to show that. This said contract was literally signed 6 weeks ago too, the clause is impossible, and the player is a huge part of their plans. He’s going nowhere.
I know he is going nowhere.. I was just saying the release clause is just arbitrary..

People getting their knickers in knots about high release clauses is something I'll never understand, but it happens every time one is mentioned on here. :lol:
Same haha

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well let’s just say that the player falls out of favour and doesn’t get picked. The club want to keep him as backup but the player wants regular football. He’s locked in with that contract. A reasonable release clause means that someone can still at least talk to him if they meet the clause. 5-6 years is a long time to have a clause like that IF you’re out of favour

V.O.

Well let’s just say that the player falls out of favour and doesn’t get picked. The club want to keep him as backup but the player wants regular football. He’s locked in with that contract. A reasonable release clause means that someone can still at least talk to him if they meet the clause. 5-6 years is a long time to have a clause like that IF you’re out of favour
Which would mean he's in the same boat as almost every other player in every other league apart from Spain.

All of our players effectively have a £eleventy bajillion release clause, but nobody goes on about it like they do when a Spanish club sticks a big number on one because they have to.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Which would mean he's in the same boat as almost every other player in every other league apart from Spain.

All of our players effectively have a £eleventy bajillion release clause, but nobody goes on about it like they do when a Spanish club sticks a big number on one because they have to.
I wonder if that will get overturned. It effectively beings us back to the pre-Bosman era in a way, where clubs can control the players much more than they have been able to since then.

V.O.

I wonder if that will get overturned. It effectively beings us back to the pre-Bosman era in a way, where clubs can control the players much more than they have been able to since then.
I don't think that's a release clause issue. I think as long as players keep their contract durations reasonable, they have plenty of power.

At least at the top level we're seeing more free transfers and players choosing to see out their contracts and shop themselves around than we have done for a long time.

golden_blunder

Staff

Not strictly true. A Spanish club could fit whatever reason decide not to sell unless release clause is met. Any club in a different league might sell if their valuation is met. It’s not quite the same

V.O.

Not strictly true. A Spanish club could fit whatever reason decide not to sell unless release clause is met. Any club in a different league might sell if their valuation is met. It’s not quite the same
I don't see how it's not the same. If he's playing for Barca with his £1b release clause, they're still free to accept a bid if someone comes along and offers £100m, just the same as we would be if he was playing for us with no release clause.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't see how it's not the same. If he's playing for Barca with his £1b release clause, they're still free to accept a bid if someone comes along and offers £100m, just the same as we would be if he was playing for us with no release clause.
You’re reading but not getting what I’m saying,
Barca player wants to leave, fallen out with manager. They refuse to sell. He has a release clause but no one will meet it because it’s unrealistic. The player is powerless

Juventus player wants to leave, fallen out with manager. They don’t want to sell but they have no power because he doesn’t have a release clause. Someone offers a number that they find acceptable and even though they don’t want to sell they do because they have no release clause.

V.O.

Barca player wants to leave, fallen out with manager. They refuse to sell. He has a release clause but no one will meet it because it’s unrealistic. The player is powerless

Juventus player wants to leave, fallen out with manager. They don’t want to sell but they have no power because he doesn’t have a release clause. Someone offers a number that they find acceptable and even though they don’t want to sell they do because they have no release clause.
I think it's the other way around!

What I'm saying is that the release clause doesn't have to be met for a player to be sold. We bought Varane from Madrid for £30-odd million. I bet his release clause was a hell of a lot higher than that.

Neither Barca or Juve 'have to' sell the players in your example. Either of them are free to accept any bid they find high enough. There's no difference.

simmee

The player is under contract in both scenarios and the club decides if they want to accept or not.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Wait, what? How is a release-clause (or the lack of it) affects the club's behaviour in that way?

A player without a release clause is even less powerful than a player with an unrealistic one. Because, well, he has his contract and that's it, if a club wants to run it down with player rotting in reserves, they're free do so so, it's just not economically viable.

Daonico

A release clause is either useless (if absurdly high) or gives power to the player, I don't think there is ever a situation where it is bad for the player.
Also, saying that accepting a 1000M release clause is stupid, is saying most PL players who have no clause at all are even dumber.

Let's also remember than Neymar was also considered to have an unrealistic release clause...

bosskeano

FDJ would be the most ideal CM signing we could bring in during january IF Barca miss out on CL football and drop into the Europa OR we have to wait until the summer. The guy can play all 3 midfield positions, he's brilliant on the ball, knows how to defend and has a fantastic work rate.

Not too mention he would replace one of the mcfreds......bruno, donny and fdj would be a fantastic trio in midfield

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
FDJ would be the most ideal CM signing we could bring in during january IF Barca miss out on CL football and drop into the Europa OR we have to wait until the summer. The guy can play all 3 midfield positions, he's brilliant on the ball, knows how to defend and has a fantastic work rate.

Not too mention he would replace one of the mcfreds......bruno, donny and fdj would be a fantastic trio in midfield
How much would you pay for FDJ in summer?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Both scenarios are the same. Only Barcelona are in an even weaker situation than Juventus, not the other way round.

If a player wants to leave Barcelona and they don’t want to sell, there is at least the chance that another club could come and offer 1bn euros. At Juventus, should they not want to sell, even in the event of being offered the same 1bn euros - they have the right to refuse.

Ultimately, Barca do not have to sell a player under contract. His release clause is irrelevant. They only serve to create a scenario where a club could sell a player against their will. Like Neymar. Barcelona will likely sell Pedri for 950m euros I’m sure.

bosskeano

How much would you pay for FDJ in summer?
well you know Pogba is going to leave on a free so his massive wages are off the board...FDJ cost barca 65m quid. i think if you double that amount, Barcelona would consider selling him. For United, you could only go that high IF you determine he is the only midfield target for the summer otherwise you have to look elsewhere and bring in two CM's for what it would cost to buy FDJ.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think it's the other way around!

What I'm saying is that the release clause doesn't have to be met for a player to be sold. We bought Varane from Madrid for £30-odd million. I bet his release clause was a hell of a lot higher than that.

Neither Barca or Juve 'have to' sell the players in your example. Either of them are free to accept any bid they find high enough. There's no difference.
But there is! A player with no release clause you could keep bidding and you may wear them down. Whereas the ones with a RC can just say feck off and realistically there’s no bid going anywhere near RC

anyway no point debating it because I don’t care that much anyway

STaphouse

Supports
Reading

Eh?

A player with a £1bn is exactly the same as a player with no release clause. It's never going to get triggered and the club would probably still have a figure in their head that they'd sell at.

The part in bold is true but also true for players with a high release clause....

Reactions: Cheimoon

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
well you know Pogba is going to leave on a free so his massive wages are off the board...FDJ cost barca 65m quid. i think if you double that amount, Barcelona would consider selling him. For United, you could only go that high IF you determine he is the only midfield target for the summer otherwise you have to look elsewhere and bring in two CM's for what it would cost to buy FDJ.
The leverage could be an opportunity for Barcelona should they really want Pogba. The market for him will be greater in the summer and they could be priced out.

Even if we put some money on top, getting FDJ would be a good deal.

bosskeano

The leverage could be an opportunity for Barcelona should they really want Pogba. The market for him will be greater in the summer and they could be priced out.

Pogba can start negotiations in January so i suspect a deal with be in place by the end of the winter window. I can't see Mina or Pogba waiting until the summer.

What it'll come down to for say Barca, how much of a bonus and agents fees are you willing to play plus his wage demands.

Selling FDJ would help Barcelona a great deal financially given the gaps they have right now in their squad. They badly need a new attacking front 3 plus they need one or two CB's in the summer. 130m could get them 2-3 quality players.

V.O.

But there is! A player with no release clause you could keep bidding and you may wear them down. Whereas the ones with a RC can just say feck off and realistically there’s no bid going anywhere near RC
What is stopping you bidding on a player with a clause?

The clause only 'does' anything if a buying club meets it. They can only advantage a buying club who could meet it and the player if he wants to move. An unattainable clause is functionally the exact same as there being no clause. There is no scenario where it is somehow an advantage to the selling club for their player to have any release clause, even a massive one, over no clause at all.

I don't understand how you think these clauses work. :(

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba can start negotiations in January so i suspect a deal with be in place by the end of the winter window. I can't see Mina or Pogba waiting until the summer.

What it'll come down to for say Barca, how much of a bonus and agents fees are you willing to play plus his wage demands.

Selling FDJ would help Barcelona a great deal financially given the gaps they have right now in their squad. They badly need a new attacking front 3 plus they need one or two CB's in the summer. 130m could get them 2-3 quality players.
Barca will never get 130m for FDJ.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Never happening but image the upgrade from Mctominay > FDJ :lol:
I don't want to imagine :(

Pogba most likely wants the biggest contract possible and a chance at trophies. I don't see how he ends up at Barca. RM, whose midfield is ancient, seems a better choice.

He'd also never leave mid season when he could just leave for free, get a signing on fee and still be match fit for the world cup.

Part of the reason they'd let FDJ go is his wages and Pogba would want similar money.

Barca don't need a midfielder when they have Pedri, Gavi, Puig and Nico. They need pacy strikers that can run off the ball and stay fit and defenders that aren't fossils.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
130 million pounds is an amount that would surely satisfy Barcelona.
Olmo (€55M), Adeyemi €45M and there would be money left to try Kounde , a player xavi loves.

golden_blunder

Staff
What is stopping you bidding on a player with a clause?

The clause only 'does' anything if a buying club meets it. They can only advantage a buying club who could meet it and the player if he wants to move. An unattainable clause is functionally the exact same as there being no clause. There is no scenario where it is somehow an advantage to the selling club for their player to have any release clause, even a massive one, over no clause at all.

I don't understand how you think these clauses work. :(
From Forbes:

Another reason such clauses exist—for better or worse in La Liga—is the country itself. Spanish law dictates that workers are permitted to pursue new employment freely, and the soccer world, where wages soar, is no exception. If a suitable offer arrives, a player is free to go.
Which goes back to my original point that having such an unattainable number as the release clause effectively locks the player in IF the club don’t want him to leave

anyways, I realize this would be the exception to the normal and I don’t care enough to argue

bosskeano

You have to hire a manager though that would get the best out of a player like Frenkie, Donny, Bruno....these guys who like to be on the ball otherwise you'd be wasting your money

For Barca it might be a sacrifice given the status Frenkie has in terms of footballing reputation but it's one that could help expedite a rebuild of the squad sooner rather than later

V.O.

From Forbes:
But that just says if the clause is met, the player can move. We already know that!

How is having an unattainable clause better, or any different from having no clause for the selling club?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I hate the drool emoji, I really do, it looks imbecilic and I judge people who use it very negatively ... but ... that midfield ... :drool:
Wait, that's a drool emoji? I always thought it was some sort of weird toothpick in his mouth like a cowboy.

Jibbs

The guy will be taken to cleaners in EPL, he is slow and has physicality of a ballerina. For a guy like him to work in EPL you need a powerhouse like Rice to be beside him and devise some strategy that the two of them gel together as the two midfield pivots.

Status
Not open for further replies.