Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Becks00

Last year United qualified for the Champions League and were clearly worse than Barcelona.

Soler has not yet renewed.

It neither makes me happy nor does it stop making me happy. That is my opinion.

Arsenal and Tottenham have been tremendously irregular, to say that Barcelona would be behind them is very debatable.

And what does the Europa League have to do with that?

I could also say that how Tottenham will be above Barcelona if they finished third in the group stage of the conference league.
Sure and the mighty Barcelona have been extremely consistent this season or last I guess. It's not really inconceivable that Barca would miss out on champions league qualification in 1 or both of the last two seasons if you were in the epl.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This seems more opportunistic than anything our scouting department have come up with. Ten Hag knows him inside out and if he wants him here I'm all for it. We need quality in midfield.
It’ll blow a massive portion of our transfer budget in a summer in which we are losing six first team players. As good as he is, it doesn’t seem right to me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm sure he does want to stay at Barca. But if Barca want him sold, the fact that he wants to stay doesn't really matter. Unless he takes the extremely rare step of digging his heels in and refusing to budge, he'll pick the best of the offers available to him and move on. That's the life of a professional footballer.

I'm sure a lot of our former and future players would have opted for a club like Barca or Real over us if it was available to them. But when it's not they don't suddenly pack in their careers.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’ll blow a massive portion of our transfer budget in a summer in which we are losing six first team players. As good as he is, it doesn’t seem right to me.
We don't have a set budget - this has been reported quite credibly of late.

ShinjiNinja26

If we’re limiting ourselves to players who want to join United, that’s going to be a pretty small pool in terms of top players
That’s why we need to be looking at young up and coming players who are quality but aren’t quite world class just yet. Going after the already established top players is pointless right now as they all want to compete in the CL and there’s plenty clubs in a far better state than us that can offer that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Last year United qualified for the Champions League and were clearly worse than Barcelona.

Soler has not yet renewed.

It neither makes me happy nor does it stop making me happy. That is my opinion.

Arsenal and Tottenham have been tremendously irregular, to say that Barcelona would be behind them is very debatable.

And what does the Europa League have to do with that?

I could also say that how Tottenham will be above Barcelona if they finished third in the group stage of the conference league.
There was nothing clear about it. And United didn’t just qualify, they were top 2. I doubt Barcelona would have been top 2 in the PL. In fact, if they were better than the second place, perhaps you think they’d have won it?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think the Di Maria epsode has scarred too many fans.
First of all I am not fussed about Frenkie. If he comes here, it will be because of ETH. However the idea you should never sign a player that has been told to leave because he will down tools is wrong.
Many top players have been told to leave by their clubs and gone on to perform admirably for their new clubs. Robben, Sneijder, Eto'o. The list is endless.
At that age and with a coach that he knows well, I do not worry about his motivation.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ultimately, if he really doesn’t want to leave Barcelona, he won’t. He doesn’t have to. In fact, isn’t fecking Umtiti still there?!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We don't have a set budget - this has been reported quite credibly of late.
We’ve been consistently spending around £100m net the last number of summers and without CL football I doubt that’s likely to change, reports or not.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Being a supporter doesn't mean you have to be blind.

If I was a footballer and had a lot of teams after me it's unlikely United would be high up on my list of teams to join.

Think logically careers are short and a lot of players regress and fail here. That's the reality. Other than us paying a lot of money there are much better options than us for s lot of players.

It's shit but it's a fact.
I disagree here. Player can also join based on the manager. If the player thinks the manager is very good and can get the best out of you in the manager's system then it makes sense why the player will buy into the project, thus choosing United over the others' big shots. For example: the player might think, wait if I joins City under Pep and he plays 433 means I will be playing in the similar role of how I plays at Barcelona, which clearly not working for me, but if I joins United, Ten Hag knows how to get the best out of him and I believe Ten Hag is destined for success and we had great time in 18/19.

And also another example, look at James Rodriguez was willing to join Everton because of Ancelotti. James wouldn't join Everton if Ancelotti wasn't there, and he would choose different club.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I disagree here. Player can also join based on the manager. If the player thinks the manager is very good and can get the best out of you in the manager's system then it makes sense why the player will buy into the project, thus choosing United over the others' big shots. For example: the player might think, wait if I joins City under Pep and he plays 433 means I will be playing in the similar role of how I plays at Barcelona, which clearly not working for me, but if I joins United, Ten Hag knows how to get the best out of him and I believe Ten Hag is destined for success and we had great time in 18/19.

And also another example, look at James Rodriguez was willing to join Everton because of Ancelotti. James wouldn't join Everton if Ancelotti wasn't there, and he would choose different club.
Totally agree with you here. He'll have so much more faith in the "project" and what his role will be, as he knows the manager.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Adria Soldevila is a reliable source for Barcelona.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Dembele also refused to leave.
Lingard refused to join West Ham. This whole ‘doesn’t want to be here’ is way overblown fan talk. These guys are professionals and don’t need to play for the clubs of their dreams. Football is full of such players. The move just needs to make sense at the time.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Ultimately, if he really doesn’t want to leave Barcelona, he won’t. He doesn’t have to. In fact, isn’t fecking Umtiti still there?!
De Jong wants to stay because his wife loves the city (has her career there) and his wage is considerable.

Ten Hag wants him, and the club would sell for 100 million.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We’ve been consistently spending around £100m net the last number of summers and without CL football I doubt that’s likely to change, reports or not.
We've never had as many as 8-10 players from the squad leaving in one window.

Tarrou

As much as I would love FDJ, there are some issues with pursuing this transer. If we could only sign one of the two, considering budget constraints, would it not make more sense to go for Tchouameni? He fills a critical need in the team, cause even if we got FDJ, we'd still need to get a DM to play alongside him.

Other issues to consider, getting FDJ does hinder Hannibal's integration into the first team as a deep lying playmaker. Unless ETH sees him best higher up the pitch? Plus getting FDJ, takes us completely out of running to potentially get Bellingham in a year's time when Dortmund are likely to sell. I'd rather a Bellingham - Tchouameni midfield than a FDJ-Fred/McT/Garner version.
Why would that make sense? We've go no chance with him.

The only reason we might have a chance with FDJ is because we have ETH.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
De Jong wants to stay because his wife loves the city (has her career there) and his wage is considerable.

Nah, De Jong's dream has always been to play for Barcelona, it's his favourite club since he was a kid. I think he went to Spanish lesson when he was at Ajax to prepare for Barcelona's move. However, just like Messi, Barcelona can just force him out due to financial issue and De Jong will have to accept it and if he leaves, I'm confident Ten Hag has the power to make sure FDJ doesn't go anywhere else but United (If ETH wants him)

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Lingard refused to join West Ham. This whole ‘doesn’t want to be here’ is way overblown fan talk. These guys are professionals and don’t need to play for the clubs of their dreams. Football is full of such players. The move just needs to make sense at the time.
Not this revisionist crap again. Our hoarder manager wanted to keep him. Moyes said as much, and if you don't believe me, there's still 0 evidence to support your claim.

Pronewbie

Peep
Seen some tweets saying PSG were looking at Pogba, but had to free up some wages, so not sure they'd be able to pursue FDJ, which is concerning as this situation is pretty much a carbon copy of our Di Maria transfer - Madird wanted ADM out while he wanted to stay, next best thing would be PSG, PSG couldn't due to FFP so he reluctantly joined us, only to underwhelm and bugger off to PSG a year later.

Plus FDJ reminds me of Martin Wallström.
Fair point and we need to scrutinise his intent despite our desperation for a competent midfielder. Honestly wouldn’t be against the idea of a psychiatric test as part of his medical. Otherwise, there is a 99% chance of him being an upgrade over our current crop of midfielders (including Pogba imho).

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I know it's been discussed to death but I still can't figure out if he's a box-to-box or a DM. Looks like he occupies the same positions during play as Scott from the youtube videos.
But he can pass the ball to his teammates

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

If it is simple as that, then he will stay. He has a contract. If he also wants to stay on the condition that he is valued and appreciated by the club and that is removed - then despite every other factor you mentioned, he would then need to consider his options, reluctantly or not. Either that or simply retire and live a happy life in Barcelona, where his wife is happy.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool

This just sounds naive imo. I cant see De Jong choose United over City just because of the manager. City is the best club in the world and will be for years. Im sure De jong wants to play one-two with Fred or Mctominay in a midfield two, or dominate every midfield with Rodri and De bruyne. We are a bloody mess and the worst run club in the world. Fans are grasping at straws here in a desperate situation. No way De Jong wants to join us. It will only happend if Barca forces him out and no other club are willing to pay big money for him. It will be United of old again. Most fans agreed we had to take a different approach in the transfer market this summer, so im supriced so many are losing their head and not sticking to their gun when the first big name is getting linked to us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not this revisionist crap again. Our hoarder manager wanted to keep him. Moyes said as much, and if you don't believe me, there's still 0 evidence to support your claim.
Lingard showed no interest in joining West Ham last summer, and every single report said his preference was to stay and fight for a place in Manchester. Which is what he did, because he wanted to. West Ham eventually blew 30m on Vlasic in the final week after they couldn’t get him.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair unless he really does love Haggy and the bloke is very convincing, he is going to have a lot of other offers. We’d need to act very quiet and quickly to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.