Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

You could ask the same question about De Jong wanting to stay at Barca at beginning of last season. Barca were in a complete mess and prospects looked bleak. Poor UCL which meant they ended up in Europa anyway.

I’m sure players aren’t that dumb that they base their coming few years on being out of UCL for one year.

Tavern in the town

You could ask the same question about De Jong wanting to stay at Barca at beginning of last season. Barca were in a complete mess and prospects looked bleak. Poor UCL which meant they ended up in Europa anyway.

I’m sure players aren’t that dumb that they base their coming few years on being out of UCL for one year.
People say this a lot but it’s not just one year. We’ve missed out on CL football 4 times in 9 years, that’s a pattern.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Out:
Coutinho
Frenkie de Jong

In:
Lewandowski
Kessie
Gavira (bumper extension deal)

Seems to be what the potential outcome is with this transfer?

WPMUFC

A player that allegedly, doesn't want to leave barca, may only leave because barca force it for quick cash, has no real desire to play for MUFC.

I mean.....50th time's the charm right? :lol: :(

Chief123

People say this a lot but it’s not just one year. We’ve missed out on CL football 4 times in 9 years, that’s a pattern.
4 times in 9 years because of poor management, decisions and recruitment. But obviously with such big changes going on at the club including the manager and a player clear out, the aim is to change that.

He could stay at Barca as well and potentially never win the league in Spain due to Madrid increasing the gap between the two even bigger while Barca struggle financially. He’s never winning the UCL any time soon. The only thing he’ll be making a big sacrifice on is the sunshine and beaches.

Someone

Something
This, 100%
As harsh as it sounds, why would a player in his prime want to join us? The only thing we can offer is a lot of money and an increase in social media followers.
Because Manchester United is a great club with great history, huge following, and pays a lot of money. A lot of players grew up dreaming of playing at OT. I really don't get why some people think so little of the club right now. Top clubs go through cycles and they invest in top players to get back on top. Lack of CL football didn't stop us from signing top players in the past and won't stop us now. But it's a very competitive market so it's never gonna be easy.

Kingslayer18

Why would that make sense? We've go no chance with him.

The only reason we might have a chance with FDJ is because we have ETH.
I'm not saying we would be his top choice if he had Real, Chelsea and Liverpool all offering the same. However it appears Real want him to wait a year because they're having to pay for Mbappe, I think the Liverpool link is more press noise than anything else due to their overstocked midfield. It then becomes a straight choice between us and Chelsea. Normally, he would choose Chelsea but maybe the uncertain ownership situation puts him in two minds. That's why I think we still have a chance. According Ten Hag really likes him, so why not don't the club get Ten Hag to call him and explain his philosophy and how he would fit in. Don't just sell him the club, but sell him on playing style and opportunity.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's all paper talk right now, but we really should only be looking at players who really want to be part of the Ten Hag rebuild. We all know what happens when they come here reluctantly, or just for the salary.

romufc

Not so long ago some people believed Ten Hag himself is city bound, and would turn down united to wait a year to move there.
Exactly and there was a large portion of fans who thought this. I don't get why people can't understand the size and the lure of the club.

Surely, If you are a player that has played under ETH, you know his style and you know if you think he can be successful.

Then, does it matter if the club lost 5-0 4 months ago under a different manager?

If De Jong believes ETH is an elite manager, United are not a club that dont spend, so we will pay the money, pay the wage and have great support.

I dont see this x,y,z player doesnt want to come to the club.

The last time we missed out on CL football we ended up signing Maguire, Wan-Bissaka
2 of them universally lauded in here for being proper United signings, proper back to our cultural reset signings. We didn’t buy them because they were all we could get, we chose them over other top and fecking cheaper options.
That they turned out shit or meh is another thing, so did Pogba and Di Maria.

NewYorkRed

Madrid? :lol:

Here’s someone who’s never been to Europe.

The is always subjective, for me Sydney pisses on NYC, as does of course, Rome. NYC shits all over Madrid, and is obviously a much better city than London.
Paris I love, amazing City.

All depends what you want from your City, there’s no correct answer. There is a wrong answer, and that is Madrid.
I’ve been to Europe a ton, and I personally didn’t like Paris at all. Madrid I loved. But as you said, this is subjective.

Never been to Australia so can’t say anything about Sydney but I doubt it pisses over NYC, which is absolutely the best city in the world.

BarstoolProphet

They weren't any big sought after players. Torres joined them when they were regularly competing for top4. Suarez was an unproven entity at Ajax.
Torres was highly sought after. He was even heavily linked with United and Chelsea at the time both clubs were like today's City and Liverpool. I think Chelsea even had a bid turned down. Kanté signed for Chelsea after winning the league and Chelsea ending the season at 10th. Imagine everyone going around then saying "why does he want to join them?" all the time at those players. It's a bit tiresome because there's a lot of positivity surrounding the future of the club now, even short-term.

Yagami

Good post resistant
VDB and Klaassen superb for Ajax but cannot blow out a candle in England and yet this guy can come and tear it up in a Utd shirt......groundhog day :houllier:
All you have to do is watch them.

It was obvious Donny and Klaassen were rubbish. I told people Donny would be a terrible signing.

Just like it's obvious how good Frenkie is. He has something the other two lack - press resistance. He was the only one out of that 18/19 group worth the money. The only one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Torres was highly sought after. He was even heavily linked with United and Chelsea at the time both clubs were like today's City and Liverpool. I think Chelsea even had a bid turned down. Kanté signed for Chelsea after winning the league and Chelsea ending the season at 10th. Imagine everyone going around then saying "why does he want to join them?" all the time at those players. It's a bit tiresome because there's a lot of positivity surrounding the future of the club now, even short-term.
Torres was a fan beforehand though was he not? I remember something about a YAWN tattoo before he even joined them.

Zlatattack

I'd only want him at the club if he wants to come. If he's coming because Barca are forcing him out, then I don't want him here.

Trophy Room

I just hope we don’t pursue players who are not interested. I hope this doesn’t become a soap, I can’t be bothered with it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd only want him at the club if he wants to come. If he's coming because Barca are forcing him out, then I don't want him here.
So if Barca ‘force him out’, is that the end of his career?

BarstoolProphet

Torres was a fan beforehand though was he not? I remember something about a YAWN tattoo before he even joined them.
Yeah, he had YAWN on his captain's armband at AM. Which is a great example of a player not basing his entire decision solely on a sporting project short-term.

Zlatattack

So if Barca ‘force him out’, is that the end of his career?
We need players who want to play at our clubs, not players who are moving because nobody else could afford their fee/wages.

We need to learn from our big money flops.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need players who want to play at our clubs, not players who are moving because nobody else could afford their fee/wages.

So if FDJ leaves Barca, whom he loves, he should either just retire or go to China or something? He still needs to find a club to play football and do the best in his career.

Tavern in the town

2 of them universally lauded in here for being proper United signings, proper back to our cultural reset signings. We didn’t buy them because they were all we could get, we chose them over other top and fecking cheaper options.
That they turned out shit or meh is another thing, so did Pogba and Di Maria.
I’m not sure what your point is. You said we always sign top players after missing out on the top 4. The 3 mentioned players aren’t top players, weren’t considered top players at the time and have done nothing to disprove that notion since.

gajender

What we need to learn is that the profile of the player is aligned with the vision of the manager and manager is capable enough to implement his vision , kind of scenario you are mentioning happens all the time and it hardly stops most players from performing .

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
So if FDJ leaves Barca, whom he loves, he should either just retire or go to China or something? He still needs to find a club to play football and do the best in his career.
I think the poster is insinuating we have seen players take this career path and lose motivation after this simply, we don't know how driven he is a as a person and whether it not working (as he would have liked) at Barca considering they deem him an expendable asset that it could hit him mentally.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
"Would we really want a player who only came because we offered the most money?" people ask, in the week Sergio Aguero has his statue unveiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.