Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Can we address the elephant in the room...

4 goals and 6 assists in 61 games across all competitions and internationals last season.

Is 1 in 10 really enough? If all he does is pass to the person who does the actual work then why are we paying so much for FdJ.

13 goals, 23 assists in 230 total professional games all clubs. 91.4% pass accuracy, 12 MOTM so about 5% of the time and this is only marginally better than 1/22 so he barely outshines the average if there are no stand outs.

Per game defensive
1.3 tackles, 1.1 interceptions, 0.6 fouls, 0.1 offside, 0.8 clearances, 0.6 dribbles, 0.1 blocks, 0 o.g.s

Offensive
0.5 shots, 1.2 key passes, 1.7 dribbles, 1.2 fouled, 0.8 dispossessed, 0.9 bad control

Passes
64.6, 0.1 crosses, 2.2 long ball, 0.1 through balls

This player is no Michael Carrick. He also isn't a DM. He isn't a destroyer. He isn't a Pirlo..

He is basically the one missing element from Fred and McTominay...he can do simple passes effectively! Is this really enough?

Maybe stats isn't enough.

I've not watched loads of him and the passing aspect was the key thing I was sure we needed, but now I'm left questioning if this is really a stand out player worth this kind of money.
None of what you've said is about Elephants.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

4 goals and 6 assists in 61 games across all competitions and internationals last season.

Is 1 in 10 really enough? If all he does is pass to the person who does the actual work then why are we paying so much for FdJ.

13 goals, 23 assists in 230 total professional games all clubs. 91.4% pass accuracy, 12 MOTM so about 5% of the time and this is only marginally better than 1/22 so he barely outshines the average if there are no stand outs.

Per game defensive
1.3 tackles, 1.1 interceptions, 0.6 fouls, 0.1 offside, 0.8 clearances, 0.6 dribbles, 0.1 blocks, 0 o.g.s

Offensive
0.5 shots, 1.2 key passes, 1.7 dribbles, 1.2 fouled, 0.8 dispossessed, 0.9 bad control

Passes

This player is no Michael Carrick. He also isn't a DM. He isn't a destroyer. He isn't a Pirlo..

He is basically the one missing element from Fred and McTominay...he can do simple passes effectively! Is this really enough?

I've not watched loads of him and the passing aspect was the key thing I was sure we needed, but now I'm left questioning if this is really a stand out player worth this kind of money.
:lol:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
This (if it’s true)

He’s crossed a line. Ten Hag hopefully has been persevering to sign him as plan a, with a plan b ready to kick in if it gets to a scenario such as this.

Outright saying he doesn’t want to play for us. Not what we need and he can feck off and enjoy being unwanted at Barca

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think us raising our offer, you'd have to think that would let them settle the wage issue. I guess the real worry is they try to use that money for other things, then this just won't happen.
But the wages are deferred installments. He cant demand it to be settled in one payment, no?

WPMUFC

MUFC briefing Ducker we got the green light from the FDJ camp and Spanish journo's pumping out "He's not leaving" is basically the default Rorschach test for this thread :lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
His agent didn't feck up, Barca can't sell a player unless the player agrees to leave. He won't agree to leave unless they pay those wages. Barca fecked up. Only Barca. The only way Frenkie fecked up is if he wanted to leave which by all accounts never entered his mind.
Oh, don't get me wrong, Barcelona look like arseholes. However, if my agent had assured me to re-sign to Barcelona's restructured contract, one that contained no clauses to guarantee the pay-out of an average level of salary should the club seek to sell me early on in its term, I'd be furious right now.

JB7

It's just poker at this stage, don't see why people are getting concerned with the regular updates all saying the same things to be honest. He wants Barca to pay up and knows if he tells them he's going to leave they won't. He also knows they are reliant on him leaving to pursue their own transfers. If insists he wants to stay and does everything by the book in the terms of his contact, sooner or later they will have to pay up to move him on and then he can leave. It'll happen, it's just a case of which side breaks first.

Rockets Redglare

This (if it’s true)

He’s crossed a line. Ten Hag hopefully has been persevering to sign him as plan a, with a plan b ready to kick in if it gets to a scenario such as this.

Outright saying he doesn’t want to play for us. Not what we need and he can feck off and enjoy being unwanted at Barca
Deranged.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Ok.. not ideal.

Pretty sure Romero has been saying the same stuff over and over now regardless of what's told elsewhere. It's just a merry-go-round of crap!

Pretty sure Romero is loving this, he's going to be one of the most popular journos on twitter with United fans atm

Superunknown

Campaigns to force him out, eh?

We're all thinking smear campaigns, whereas Barcelona are thinking Dungeons & Dragons.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Like i said on page 4 or 5 he's really not worth all the fecking around.

We should've moved on from this nonsense weeks ago. It's just an embarrassment at this point begging a player to join us that's never once said he wants to come here.

WPMUFC

Is tomorrow still D-Day for this transfer? Wasn't there something about us packing up and walking away on Friday?
D-Day for this saga is either a direct briefing to Stone/BBC Ducker/Tele that we pulled out, or the last day of the transfer window.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Per game defensive

Offensive

Passes

Appreciate the stats but funny you mention Carrick.

6,2,4,5,0,2,2,1,1,0,1,0 That's Carricks goals scored in all comps across his 12 seasons with us. It's normal for DLPs to not really show up on the stat sheet which is why goals and assists are largely irrelevant without context.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
arnold: “so yeah lads, i went to barcelona with jimmy and we demanded to see laporte. the stupid, foren taxi driver didn’t understand us though and took us the docks instead. quick as a flash jimmy was all “we ain’t here to suck any sailers off. we’re here for de jong, not de dong.” we had a barry and paul (chuckle) cheersed are carlings and then got a uber to there training ground.

of course laporte was at a restaurant. we’d called at an awkward time, between brunch and lunch, so he was sitting down to his fourth meal of the day. me and jimmy burst in to the restaurant and told laporte that de jong was going back with us or we were going to have a scrap. laporte calmed us down by ordering two beers. was that estrella muck but the sun was out so we sank them. a few beers and a few shots later we’d managed to negotiate paying another 20m over three years to them, alongside a goodwill lever of 7m. told them to accept by friday or we’ll add another 5m. it’s only euros so not real money. stupid prick.

went to the beach afterwards and tried to smash a couple of local broads. frigid as feck over there. didn’t even react to jimmy helicoptering his willy after slashing into the sea from the rocks. got easyjet back this morning. heads fecked.”

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That's in the Classics forum but was 'only' 394 pages. The newbie thread actually had more pages (433), so combined it'd be top three.
That’s insane, I was pretty sure that it was around 1k!

Elcabron

It's just poker at this stage, don't see why people are getting concerned with the regular updates all saying the same things to be honest. He wants Barca to pay up and knows if he tells them he's going to leave they won't. He also knows they are reliant on him leaving to pursue their own transfers. If insists he wants to stay and does everything by the book in the terms of his contact, sooner or later they will have to pay up to move him on and then he can leave. It'll happen, it's just a case of which side breaks first.
I don't understand that. Why would that be the case? The money is owed whether he stays or leaves. If he tells them he is leaving and they refuse to pay then you just sue them for salary owed. They would pay. Before it gets anywhere near court.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Again, I fail to see how we'd progress a deal this far without getting the green light from de Jong's camp. It'd be incompetence if nothing else. I'd imagine it's posturing.
Ok.. not ideal.

Again, I fail to see how we'd progress a deal this far without getting the green light from de Jong's camp. It'd be incompetence if nothing else. I'd imagine it's posturing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
But the wages are deferred installments. He cant demand it to be settled in one payment, no?
I imagine our transfer fee is though as well, so as long as it's earmarked for that, which I'm not confident it will be. I don' t think he's really expecting to get 17m upfront, it's the agreement that 17m will be paid that's he's not getting yet.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
"United have also dismissed talk suggesting Frenkie de Jong does not want to move to Old Trafford. He has given encouragement to Ten Hag, hence the long pursuit and a basic agreement of around £72m including extras in place with Barcelona for the midfielder.”

from Sky

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't understand that. Why would that be the case? The money is owed whether he stays or leaves. If he tells them he is leaving and they refuse to pay then you just sue them for salary owed. They would pay. Before it gets anywhere near court.
Exactly. Unless the wording of the contract strangely suggests otherwise.

Marcus

My guess is going to a Spanish court while playing in England is something he wants to avoid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I imagine our transfer fee is though as well, so as long as it's earmarked for that, which I'm not confident it will be. I don' t think he's really expecting to get 17m upfront, it's the agreement that 17m will be paid that's he's not getting yet.
Perhaps.
Or more daunting, he just really doesn't want to join us :lol:

mctrials23

Oh, don't get me wrong, Barcelona look like arseholes. However, if my agent had assured me to re-sign to Barcelona's restructured contract, one that contained no clauses to guarantee the pay-out of an average level of salary should the club seek to sell me early on in its term, I'd be furious right now.
Why would you be worried? The guarantee is implicit. If the club want to sell you they have to make you happy with the terms of your departure. If you aren't happy unless you get those wages then don't have to leave.

Yes it would have been much simpler for all parties if that was spelled out in the new contract because it wouldn't give Barca the thin hope that they could pull a fast one but by all accounts Frenkie is being entirely sensible and saying "pay me if you want me to go".

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It wouldn’t even be incompetence. It would be incredibly stupid, almost to the level that is simply incomprehensible.

JB7

Because if you tell your club you want to leave there are usually a number of penalties such as foregoing loyalty payments upon moving clubs, so in this case given it was deferred salary it would be reasonable to expect a similar penalty to apply those payments too. I would expect his agents are being very careful to act entirely within the lines of his contract.

UnitedFire

Appreciate the stats but funny you mention Carrick.

6,2,4,5,0,2,2,1,1,0,1,0 That's Carricks goals scored in all comps across his 12 seasons with us. It's normal for DLPs to not really show up on the stat sheet which is why goals and assists are largely irrelevant without context.
I might have expected more assists, but even Carrick was pretty low.

The goals I agree is pretty much irrelevant

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I assume you speak spanish. Does he report "latest offer" or "final offer"?. I've seen both interpretations on twitter.
The latest offer. But who knows if it will be the final offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.