Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woziak

Bound to be the case.
We'll finally pay exactly what Barcelona wanted two months ago, and then De Jong turns out to be shite for us, and we can't offload him because he is on £350k per week...!! :lol: :lol:
Pretty much spot on all of these long winded protracted cafe transfers threads end up in ultimate sadness; Pogba, Alexis, Lukaku, Di Maria, J Sancho ( but he still has time to come good)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To be fair, there is a midfielder out there who's gettable and comparable on ability.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's a huge player, and he fits right into our wage structure.

I don't think Busquets is currently better on his favoured position, but Busquets is a Barcelona legend and Frenkie can also be deployed to some extent in a more advanced role.

There is no midfielder we can get that is anywhere near Frenkie on the ball, ETH knows that. Frenkie de Jong is a player that should have no business going to United at this stage of his career, but because of favourable circumstances for us, it's a very likely possibility now.
Let's hope you are right. The longer this drags on, the more it's on ETH. And setting up such high expectations for Frenkie.

croadyman

It's going to be really interesting to see where we are if/when this deal gets concluded. I think most of us are concerned that we are making the same mistakes we have made by not acting quickly enough - however if we have been able to progress other deals in the background and are just waiting for an agreement with Barcelona over FDJ then waiting until the end of June wont be the end of the world. If we haven't progressed anything ETH is going to have less time with his new signings to bed them in to the team and in a season where the first half could end up being so important I can understand why some people are worried.
Yeah hope other deals are still progressing

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Gotta say that Arnold and Murtogh have got some balls moving so slowly haggling on the first incredibly important deal. The player the new manager wants more than anything. Even in that fan interview Arnold mentioned that we had been throwing away cash which is true. Still though, you wonder if it could backfire and they'll get the already frustrated fans on their back from the start.
Judging by a lot of the comments of united fans here, if I were them, I wouldn't be too worried.
United fans whing and moan regardless.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Inappropriate Content
I've got some inside scoop about this.
Set your clock ladies and gentlemen as I reckon some big news is awaiting ya come 23 bst.
white text

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We've fekked the negotiation by having no alternative and telegraphing that we're desperate for him. We look weak because we are, so we might as well cough up.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Let's hope you are right. The longer this drags on, the more it's on ETH. And setting up such high expectations for Frenkie.
Fair enough, Frenkie de Jong is worth it though. But he alone won't be the answer ofcourse.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's pretty obvious this guy does not want to come to United. Its gonna be another Di Maria. Why do United keep repeating the same mistakes every transfer window.
Have a lie down mate.

Papers/Twitter:

United fans:
You nailed it.

Why is it drivel. Wasn't he quoted as saying "I'm at the best club in the world at Barcelona". United just working at one deal at a time. Its pathetic. Incoming new deals for Perreira, Jones and Martial to cap another successful summer transfer window. If ETH had hair he would surely be tearing it out
Good grief. Your posts aren’t getting any better.

Rolaholic

Read last week about some weird La Liga rule about them only being able to reinvest a small fraction, 1/3rd, of the money they'd get from a sale right now compared to being able to reinvest all of it after June 30th

bosskeano

Another dumb statement to add onto a long list of dumb statements .. just from this thread
and why exactly do you care what they actually pay for the player? clubs have been overpaying for however long....ETH wants the player and feels that he's the perfect midfielder for his system so why care what gets paid for him especially given the amount of bitching and whining that has taken place over the past couple of years aobut how our midfield is poor and not strengthened?

RedDevil@84

and why exactly do you care what they actually pay for the player? clubs have been overpaying for however long
This is a strange take. Silly salaries make it difficult to sell the player and negotiate contracts for new and existing players.

BarstoolProphet

- No Spanish-speaking TV channel to follow during the night
- No local newspaper we have never heard off covering the potential transfer
- No English-speaking message board from the rival club with angry fans to quote

Time to move on unless Donny comments 'Tot ziens in Manchester' on FDJ's next Instagram post the coming days.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Okay, so why do so many teams wait till the window to negotiate deals?

Why isnt every team, as soon as the window opens announcing 2/3 transfers each? If the deals can be done during the season and the like?

I bet you, if the club paid what Barca wanted, you'd be first to complain that we over paid.
He isn't worth the price Barca wants along with his huge salary he'll demand anyway. The sooner the club moves on from this deal the better.

Redcy

Maybe it's time to consider a different setup then. The money Barca are asking for + his reported massive wages make this a huge transfer. We shouldn't be breaking our wage structure for one individual, unless they are top 5/10 players in the world. It's not even like Di Maria or Pogba who were coming off amazing seasons in their previous clubs, Barca want to get rid of him, for his wages and the fact that Busquets is arguably better.

I feel like the problem here is that we have overcommitted to this without thinking too much about alternatives. Give them a final offer, and then move on.
tielemans isn’t a defensive minded player so you end with mcFred back there, or nevesturns like a bus and runs in treacle so needs a dmto carry him. Soneither of those are alternatives. If we go for neves as a complete change we also need a better cb as teams will walk past neves and lindelof

bosskeano

This is a strange take. Silly salaries make it difficult to sell the player and negotiate contracts for new and existing players.
we aren't talking about silly salaries but his transfer fee....AND why would we consider even thinking about selling a player before or right when you buy the player? You're not negotiating to buy a player with the mindset of selling him off or how much you can get for him down the road unless he's a young kid.

FDJ would be fundamental to our midfield and hopefully a red for many years.

Conor

You'd swear De Jong was the second coming of Christ, Ten Hag managed ok without him last year, and will have to manage with other people if this doesn't work out. This whole 'we have to get him or it's over' nonsense is ridiculous.

LoneStar

tielemans isn’t a defensive minded player so you end with mcFred back there, or nevesturns like a bus and runs in treacle so needs a dmto carry him. Soneither of those are alternatives. If we go for neves as a complete change we also need a better cb as teams will walk past neves and lindelof
What I'm saying is that there was always a possibility that FDJ might not join us. So we would ideally have some backup plan, which might involve tweaking the system and buying different players instead.

We are in a better bargaining position compared to Barca. We should offer them a final deal and force them to make a decision either way.

Fiasco

Interesting that Barcelona have just made a £34.4m offer for Robert Lewandowski. I wonder if the De Jong deal is done.

PedroMendez

Acolyte

Read last week about some weird La Liga rule about them only being able to reinvest a small fraction, 1/3rd, of the money they'd get from a sale right now compared to being able to reinvest all of it after June 30th
considering Barca's current finances, they are only allowed to reinvest a fraction of the saved wages into new players. Its possible that the rules for them get relaxed once their investment deal goes through and they end up with positive equity.

Status
Not open for further replies.