Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

If De Jong doesn't sign for us what do we do? I'm not saying that his girlfriend told him that she outright refuses to live in the shithole that is Manchester, or the shithole that is Cheshire, but if she did and prefers to move to London what do we do when he inevitably signs for Chelsea?
Bah. There are at least two fabulous tapas places in Manchester; one if them is part owned by Pep. It’ll be like she never left Barcelona :)

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
From the Malacia article in the Telegraph:

Talks with Malacia’s countryman Frenkie de Jong are still dragging on, with a fee that could rise as high as £73.2 million having been agreed with Barcelona.

Sources at both ends of the deal claim that talks are progressing well although United have yet to start discussing personal terms with the Dutch international.

Those discussions are not expected to be problematic and United hope that they may have the deal finalised soon.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Just seen that the MEN Twitter account congratulated him on his engagement :lol:
Everyone is a muppet!

Toblerone92

She's not reliant on him for cash dude. Shes a influencer/fashion designer
Whatever, it was a tongue in cheek comment. All I’m saying is she can do her influencing from Cheshire and be happy that her husband plays for the greatest club in the world.

copen1945

A few more twists in the saga. The Chelsea link is slightly worrying. I hope everything is just talk.

DevilRed

Clearly done dealio.

Just holding off on the official go ahead to let barca conduct their transfer business and obviously for Frenkie to get back to Europe.

McTerminator

The report says only if things break down something I don't see happening besides Chelsea seem to have a scatter gun approach this summer much like Woodward 13/14.
Maybe. I’m actually confident the De Jong deal will get done and I think the club needs a lot more credit. The suggestion that things were too far gone just reminded me of Mikel.

People complain about the reputation we gained in the market under Woodward and the so called United tax. However, nobody is giving the club’s new regime consideration for operating with that terrible starting hand.

The thing that gives me most confidence Is the Malacia and Martinez deals/rumours. The suggestions that the club let others feel out the market price of players and then swooped after the United tax couldn’t be overplayed is really promising.

If four of the deals come off (Eriksen, Malacia, De Jong, Martinez let’s say) at good prices then this may be the window the club begins to reset its reputation and could be a really good start for Arnold.

Anyone undermining the difficulty of the job this summer should take a moment to think.

Reactions: Sultan

Trex

Maybe. I’m actually confident the De Jong deal will get done and I think the club needs a lot more credit. The suggestion that things were too far gone just reminded me of Mikel.

People complain about the reputation we gained in the market under Woodward and the so called United tax. However, nobody is giving the club’s new regime consideration for operating with that terrible starting hand.

The thing that gives me most confidence Is the Malacia and Martinez deals/rumours. The suggestions that the club let others feel out the market price of players and then swooped after the United tax couldn’t be overplayed is really promising.

If four of the deals come off (Eriksen, Malacia, De Jong, Martinez let’s say) at good prices then this may be the window the club begins to reset its reputation and could be a really good start for Arnold.

Anyone undermining the difficulty of the job this summer should take a moment to think.
Yes I agree with you, to me the De jong deal is pretty much done, the club am sure would be keen for him to be on the plane for the tour.
In many ways we're beginning to show better planning, from the recruitment of ETH to the specific targets we are going for and also the negotiations so far.

Stadjer

People just want to complain. If the deal is done quick people complain that they should have negiotiated longer and cut some of the price. Now it takes long and people complain about that eventhough the transfer might be cheaper because of it in the end.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Far too sensible & measured a post to be in a muppet thread.

tjb

I agree. People were expecting us to go guns blazing on as many deals as we could find to rectify the season we just had. We did this before in 2014, buying lots of players, all of whom turned out to be worse than who we had replaced them for. The truth is, we actually have good pieces already within the squad, our bad season was due to poor management across the board and lacking in a few areas of the pitch which made it difficult for other positions to perform as well as they could.

The likes of DDG, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford and Ronaldo have previously shown their abilities on a world stage and would most likely be doing pretty well at a club with better squad planning that we have hade. Maguire and Varane have struggled with not being protected by their full backs and central midfielders whilst also needing to hold onto the ball longer due to poor positioning from our full backs and midfielders. DDG has had to deal with threat after threat toward his goal, yet some fans would have you believe that if he came off his line more, we would have less problems. Bruno and Ronaldo have both had periods within this team that you could argue that they were creating chances and goals out of nothing, that with more support, more time and more space they would be tearing teams apart. Rashford and Sancho have both struggled at time to get into the games, as they are not presented with the ball in opportune positions like their counterparts at City and Liverpool. They have also not been afforded periods of bad form as the depth on the flanks and in forward positions have not been great.

The problem we have previously had in the market has been our approach. We have spent the majority of our transfer kitty on players that we did not have a successful plan on how to used them.
Our major signings since Sir Alex left have been: Pogba, Lukaku, Di Maria, Varane, Maguire, Sancho and Alexis Sanchez.
Pogba was signed without knowing exactly what we wanted to do with him. There was an idea that we would mould him into what we wanted, that never happened.
Lukaku was signed by Mou as a target man despite the fact that he did not want to play that role and he did not have the touch to function as such in the premier league.
Di Maria was signed by a manager who didn't even want to use a winger in his first 6 months here. He was barely used in the position he was most used to and shown very little respect by the manager.
Maguire was overpriced and was bought in a moment of desperation to plug the gap in the defence after our worst defensive season in league history.
Alexis Sanchez was bought to bolster our attack, yet hadn't played well in the six months prior to arriving with us. He had gone through injuries and was aging, so it came to not too much surprise that his game, which was highly dependent on physicality, fell off a cliff.
The jury is still out on Sancho and Varane.

With FDJ, we would at the very least be getting a player who can the defence and midfield. He has good touches, has a quick turn and can pass the ball forward consistently well. These sound simple enough, but it's the difference between taking 10 minutes to build an attack and 1 or 2 minutes to do so. He would provide Maguire and Varane with consistent options to pass the ball to and has the positioning awareness to know when to get into a three or push up. Furthermore, he knows how to play as the deepest midfielder and has the positional sense to limit counter attacks. These are two of the biggest issues in our team. Malacia would give us an athletic, attacking full back to bring more energy and athleticism to the team; this would help us in our recovery of the ball in the middle of the park and our ability to attack the flanks more consistently.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
"He doesn't want to come".

feck off.

His 'dream club' are telling him he's surplus to requirements.

He will come here and be motivated and enjoy his dutch peers.

Zetrio2002

Why does it take so long? Can the transfer team quickly get this done! Seems like the team is still taking its own sweet time to get transfers done.

WPMUFC

Patience is a virtue:
I feel like everyone outside the discussions is just rewording the BBC update from earlier this week. :lol: The fee is agreed, it's all about add-on structure and personal terms. Nothing's changed since then and if it had, I'd imagine a BBC/Tele article would be out by now.

Lost bear

Clearly done dealio.

Just holding off on the official go ahead to let barca conduct their transfer business and obviously for Frenkie to get back to Europe.
I am up to my ears and don’t have time to do the research, so can someone help: is it true that as far as we know Frankie doesn’t really want to come to us?

WPMUFC

I am up to my ears and don’t have time to do the research, so can someone help: is it true that as far as we know Frankie doesn’t really want to come to us?
Barca are his dream club and he's being forced out because of club financial difficulties. There is no doubt he'd want to stay at Barca, but when the club is happy to sell and the coach is not that fussed, he has to think about his future. No Champions League is also a sour note.

Personally if we didn't have ETH, i doubt this is even a discussion, we just wouldn't be in for him. However MUFC is now in the fine details of add-on clauses and finalising the deal, you don't go that far without agents assuring clubs that the player would be willing to sign.

Blood Mage

He'd better be worth this pisstake of a saga. This pursuit has really made this window more difficult than it needed to be and I would rather we'd gone after someone more easily attainable who fills a much needed hole in our team like Sangare.

DevilRed

No lad. He is gagging to come.

That’s why he proposed to his girlfriend (now fiancé) to lock her into coming to Manchester.

RedAlert27

If the reports are true and Chelsea are hijacking the move, we can say goodbye to De Jong. Why on earth would he choose us over Chelsea?

Status
Not open for further replies.