Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WPMUFC

If the reports are true and Chelsea are hijacking the move, we can say goodbye to De Jong. Why on earth would he choose us over Chelsea?
Chelsea are monitoring developments around Frenkie de Jong and could target the Barcelona midfielder if his move to Manchester United breaks down.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-jong-chelsea-monitor-manchester-united-move

There was one report and the first sentence of the article tells you there is no attempted hijack.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
C'mon... Finish it up already! This foreplay is going on for too long.. I need some action!

(yes, I get that it takes time and he is on vacation and Barca is in a financial complex situation so it needs to be sorted out, so spare me your rational remarks that it might take a little longer... Excitement comes with impatience and irrationality! So... GET IT DONE!!)

RedAlert27

The story is Chelsea are monitoring, in case the transfer breaks down, but in any case don't you think the answer is obvious?
Yeah yeah, relationship with Ten Hag, I get it. Pretty big risk though for him to choose friendship over a better chance of success. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't join us is all I'm getting at. According to many reports this deal was being wrapped up by Thursday.

WPMUFC

Yeah yeah, relationship with Ten Hag, I get it. Pretty big risk though for him to choose friendship over a better chance of success. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't join us is all I'm getting at. According to many reports this deal was being wrapped up by Thursday.
According to the BBC, which has been the only real update in the past week, there was still a lot of add-on negotiations, personal terms to discuss and the structure of the deal, but we had agreed a fixed amount. There has not really been any updates since then, almost all the later reports are different wording of the BBC article with the only real "additional" update is a so-so report that we wanted him ready to fly on the tour.

Withnail

That's what they said last week

OpenIntrovert

Like I said, don't ever trust the media. When there are no updates, they will make up the updates based on 1+1=2 logic. Normally such processes are confidential, so whatever the media is telling you is what they can make out from activity they are allowed to observe or hear.

De Jong's fee has already been agreed, they are just waiting for the player to come back from Holiday to sign the personal agreement, followed by a medical and then lastly the contract signing. Be patient lads.

Drainy

Does he seem like he's friends with his players?

It's more likely professional respect and belief in his methods.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This transfer will have been in the making for a number of months. The agent and lawyer do almost all of the negotiating once he gets the all-clear from his client. I am sure FdJ will also have a phone if anything vital needs discussing whilst on holiday. If this is going to happen it will all be wrapped very promptly once he returns from his holiday. We're just waiting for presentation images, medicals, etc which need FdJ to be present.

McTerminator

C'mon... Finish it up already! This foreplay is going on for too long.. I need some action!

(yes, I get that it takes time and he is on vacation and Barca is in a financial complex situation so it needs to be sorted out, so spare me your rational remarks that it might take a little longer... Excitement comes with impatience and irrationality! So... GET IT DONE!!)
I can understand the excitement. However…

it takes time and he is on vacation and Barca is in a financial complex situation so it needs to be sorted out… it might take a little longer. ;)

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I can understand the excitement. However…

it takes time and he is on vacation and Barca is in a financial complex situation so it needs to be sorted out… it might take a little longer. ;)
Ah men...

He should get back from his vacation already!

SoCross

I have horrible flashbacks to when Chelsea gazumped everyone for Hazard.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Well played, very clever :lol:

By people who no longer work for the club. I can see why you’re still sooooo angry. :rolleyes:
but my point, if I can make it without sounding negative, is that so far nothing seems to have changed. Look at the business being done by other clubs... we need to get this done

WPMUFC

Feel like this is all but done, just wish it actually was.
The optimist in me believes they want it wrapped by the start of the tour. The realist in me believes that discussions around add-on benchmarks are sooooo tedious that "it will be done as soon as it can, and it's 100% going to happen"

Laurencio

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-jong-chelsea-monitor-manchester-united-move

There was one report and the first sentence of the article tells you there is no attempted hijack.
This is just a very easy no consequence statement of intent from the new owners to appease fans. Chelsea hasn't signed anyone of consequence either and shipped off their best centreback for free, Lukaku loaned back to Inter, and are looking likely to lose Kanté - probably cheaply. Might as well throw out a statement that they would sign a player, who they know is going to go to Man Utd, if the deal falls through - no risk involved in that.

WPMUFC

Only because it's Manchester United as the buying club.
i'd say Barca are also trying the "if Frenkie plays for 5 games over span of his MUFC contract we will be guaranteed 20m euros" schtick :lol: :lol: . They REALLY want the final deal to either be the same or slightly more than they paid. We are getting a fantastic fixed fee price, but i'd imagine add-ons are a pain to discuss.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Honestly it feels weird that a transfer sum would be agreed with the club before personal terms are agreed, sounds like Barca are indeed trying to ship him off against his will.

I'm not a big fan of De Jong and I'd 8-2 see him at Bayern, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.