Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah right. New contract time.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The sun, metro and "weallfollowunited".

This is why the tier list should be expanded to outside the tweets thread.

The story makes sense:
  • They have Busquets and Nico as holding midfielder and multiple advanced midfielders like Gavi, Pedri and Puig.
  • They need to invest in other areas like wingers and defenders
  • De Jong would command a hefty fee and his sale wouldnt be met with the same resistance as the kids
  • Hes a top earner that could be removed from the wage bill
  • Hasn't lived up to the hype, in part because Busquets plays in his position
We don't know if he wants to leave and I doubt Donny gave an endorsement.

Tarrou

the glimmer of hope as i clicked the thread was emphatically extinguished :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It will take ETH to stand a chance I suspect.

Caesar2290

The only way he is coming to us is if ETH is going to be our manager. Otherwise it's just a pipedream.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Has a massive massive wage so unless we ship some of our players I can't see how it would work

Hes a wonderful wonderful player though and love to have him over here but very unlikely unless we somehow manage to win ucl or fluke a pl title now ( a bit late for that one )

Last edited:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He's not that good. One of the most overrated midfielders in the world. Kovacic is on the same level, if not better.

troylocker

I don't think this will ever happen, but I am a huge fan of de Jong. Fantastic player!

Bwuk

I wouldn’t be surprised if he does leave tbh. Barca have plenty of midfielders, and they could use the £££.

Doubt he ends up here, but I’d be all for him, Donny & Bruno as our midfield next season.

Kramer

He's not that good. One of the most overrated midfielders in the world. Kovacic is on the same level, if not better.
To be fair Kovacic is a very good player. Very under-rated midfielder. Would gladly take someone of his caliber at United.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The sun, metro and "weallfollowunited".

This is why the tier list should be expanded to outside the tweets thread.

The story makes sense:
  • They have Busquets and Nico as holding midfielder and multiple advanced midfielders like Gavi, Pedri and Puig.
  • They need to invest in other areas like wingers and defenders
  • De Jong would command a hefty fee and his sale wouldnt be met with the same resistance as the kids
  • Hes a top earner that could be removed from the wage bill
  • Hasn't lived up to the hype, in part because Busquets plays in his position
We don't know if he wants to leave and I doubt Donny gave an endorsement.
With those sources it’s probably nicked from a @Spoony story on here

Ekeke

Most overrated player of the past 5 years. Billed as one of the greats when Barcelona signed him, hasnt delivered

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He is awesome and I'd say consistently better than any of our midfielders bar Bruno. He has had a form decrease though, so has Bruno. At least Bruno still gets good numbers.

RUCK4444

Get him. Brilliant player, he’s stagnated a tad at Barca but it’s been a bad period for them over there in general

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rice, Frenkie and VDB sounds like my kind of midfield.

future2future

He can be a world changer, less impressive at Barca but the whole of Barca is in decline.

In the right team he can be top 3 midfielder in the world I think

Yagami

Good post resistant
Probably my second favourite midfielder to watch in recent years. Arthur being first.

I love watching our very own press resistant midfielder in Galbraith as much as them but I can't watch Doncaster games! These type of midfielders are great to watch and, seeing as signing either of them isn't likely, I'd love to see Galbraith given the chance to fill that void. Unfortunately, I'm not too optimistic about seeing him being given said chance.

kthanksbye

Barca need the money, if rumours are to be believed they could lose Perdi to Bayern, good chance we can get him if we're ready to play enough. They might sell if they have to pick between Pedri and DeJong.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
What would you do with Bruno?
I think @Rozay would play him off the left or as a false 9.

I think Bruno is well suited to playing as an 8.

De Jong's problem at Barca is that his best position is in the pivot, but Busquets - De Jong doesn't work well together.
De Jong + a destroyer would be a great, and with no destroyer being available at Barca, I kinda think LVG is right and playing in the pivot by himself is the next best thing.

It's sort of like judging Fred as the sole DM when that's clearly not his best position.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What would you do with Bruno?
He wouldn’t be in my midfield if I were trying to build a certain type of system/philosophy. Just like I doubt he’d be in the midfield De Jong currently plays in.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He wouldn’t be in my midfield if I were trying to build a certain type of system/philosophy. Just like I doubt he’d be in the midfield De Jong currently plays in.
Rather interesting but not unthinkable, the Portugese coach doesnt seem to look at him as instrumental for his midfield either.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

De Jong - Rice
Bruno

When we are controlling the match

De Jong
VDB-Bruno

When we need to be more defensive against top teams

De Jong - Rice
VDB

Please..

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Barca need the money, if rumours are to be believed they could lose Perdi to Bayern, good chance we can get him if we're ready to play enough. They might sell if they have to pick between Pedri and DeJong.
Pedri has just renewed until 2026 and with a clause of €1000M. He wants to stay and Barcelona is not going to sell him

VanDeBank

Ma’am

De Jong - Rice
Bruno

When we are controlling the match

De Jong
VDB-Bruno

When we need to be more defensive against top teams

De Jong - Rice
VDB

Please..
Fred De Jong
Bruno (or VDB)

would be a good alternative to the last variation. I'd much rather see us invest in a CB/RB/GK then another midfielder.

Fred's been shittier for us than he really is because he's either been forced in a DM role or had to play alongside an even shittier player. It's easier to lose the ball if the guy next to you is a coward and it's easier to make defensive mistakes when the guy next to you is a non entity off the bal.

His level is at least that of a good squad player.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Surely hell would have frozen over before Barca sell Pedri?

That said, maybe hell is freezing over…I haven’t been able to keep up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is he really that good though?
Yes he is. He's at the level of Busquets in his prime. Barcelona misusing him because he's not exactly what they're accustomed to and don't want to bench Busquets has been a constant source of amusement for me :lol:

Honestly would sign him off of them if they don't want him

FriedClams

Is he really that good though?
He really is. Barcelona are a shambles, but there was a period last season where De Jong was putting in unbelievable performances in a position he had never played, and it made the manager try and shoehorn their defensive system around it. De Jong is similar to Gareth Barry in the way that he will do whatever a manager tells him to do, yet possesses the talent to be better and more effective than Verratti. Once Xavi settles that Barcelona squad, he will build the team around De Jong and he might not do it at Barcelona, but i'd wager at some point of his career he is in contention for ballon d'or.

BlueHaze

Imagine if we made a swap in January Pogba for De Jong. Would be mint.

Status
Not open for further replies.