Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Barcelona will sell to FDJ for about €90M.
They will try to sign Soler 20-25M.

I just hope that P. Torre has a chance to play. He can be a differential player, he has a lot of quality. We'll see if he develops as he promises.
Frenkie has done nothing at Barca which warrants his price going up from initial fee Barca paid for him.

He'll move for €50-60m this summer. Barca are desperate for cash and he has a massive wage packet, they don't hold any bargaining power.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Am i the only one not fussed about De Jong? I know he's a good player but what i've seen doesn't excite me all that much. Maybe i've not seen enough of him.
Think he's the closest thing to Modrić around, if he developed some aggression to his game. The way he moves with the ball, his technique and passing. Has the potential to be fantastic.

Becks00

Frenkie has done nothing at Barca which warrants his price going up from initial fee Barca paid for him.

He'll move for €50-60m this summer. Barca are desperate for cash and he has a massive wage packet, they don't hold any bargaining power.
I don't get how he dreamt up the 90m figure. With the wages De Jong is allegedly on, Barca would be lucky if they get €60m.

Last edited:

Prodigal7

I don't get how he dreamt up the 90m figure. With the wages De Jong is allegedly, on Barca would be lucky if they get €60m.
We might have to outbid other clubs to get him and use our financial power. That’s how we keep him away from Bayern etc and it works in Barca’s favour too as they get more money.

NoLogo

I was trying to find these stats but came across this from last season and the top 5 are all defensive players which waters down this achievement. It means (to me) that they play deeper and have more space to cover when having the ball at feet. I don't really want our DM doing that, i want him pushing up and pressing.
Just found this, all deep laying defensive midfielders again apart from Silva which impresses the hell out of me
https://thefootballfaithful.com/ran...rs-with-most-progressive-carries-this-season/
True defensive players usually look better in the progressive carry stats but not everyone can do it, I'm pretty sure McToms progressive carries aren't even half that of Rice's. De Jong imo is in a similar area, he likes to come deep to pick up the ball then either looks for a quick pass or tries to find space with a quick dribbling. A duo of Rice & de Jong imo would add something our midfield has been missing for a long time, a proper link up between defense and attack through our midfield.

Becks00

We might have to outbid other clubs to get him and use our financial power. That’s how we keep him away from Bayern etc and it works in Barca’s favour too as they get more money.
The thing is Bayern simply are not going to pay those wages to De Jong after having to pay an expensive transfer fee, I just don't see it. City really won't pay that too or at least not the one they would report, PSG might but then I believe they also have the FFP issue(even if that's a farce, they still have to keep up appearances). Truth is De Jong options are really limited unless he would earn significantly less than he does at Barca in his next club.

choccy77

Ten Hag has personally contacted FDJ agent.

Exciting times ..... Even if we dont sign him, at least we can't say we were not desperate enough to try everything

jesperjaap

rice isnt a guarantee either. Nobody is truly a guarantee. Shit i thought schneiderlin was going to absolutely crush it when he was coming in, def was wrong on that. Ill take the 2 cracks at getting a top player vs the 1. And there isnt much of a chance of United getting rice since west ham will put a huge transfer fee on him. Highly doubt ETH wants to come in and blow the entire budget on player
Schneiderlin for me was average at SOUthampton, never thought he was a good signing. Rice is irrelevant yes, that move isnt happening, still dont see DejOng coming either

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Scholes was always comfortable as a second function midfielder, De Jong is not. It sounds like Kamara will be taking up the positions that De Jong himself would want to be operating in to receive the ball. 'More of a Matic', positionally, is exactly what we should be aiming for with De Jong.
Does Kamara has the same ego as Roy Keane that he always want to receive the ball? If he's humble enough to know that FDJ should be the star who dictates the tempo then all we need is someone who is comfortable to pass the ball with one touch from deep area without giving the ball away cheaply, can still keep it simple rather than be complicated on the ball, has good positioning, and willing to stay deep to cover De Jong if De Jong decides to dribble the ball to carry the ball forward. Kamara who also used to play as CB I think suits these tasks. Kamara was never this Pirlo type of player.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo

Do you think Barcelona are going to sell De Jong for €50M?

I don't get how he dreamt up the 90m figure. With the wages De Jong is allegedly on, Barca would be lucky if they get €60m.
Same as above. To dream is to think that Barcelona are going to sell De Jong for that price.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Does Kamara has the same ego as Roy Keane that he always want to receive the ball? If he's humble enough to know that FDJ should be the star who dictates the tempo then all we need is someone who is comfortable to pass the ball with one touch from deep area without giving the ball away cheaply, can still keep it simple rather than be complicated on the ball, has good positioning, and willing to stay deep to cover De Jong if De Jong decides to dribble the ball to carry the ball forward. Kamara who also used to play as CB I think suits these tasks. Kamara was never this Pirlo type of player.
Seems like the caf are really trying to will this Kamara over to United. Based on extremely little, I see his name discussed an awful lot. I get it, he’s out of contract, but seems very little chance of him coming here, think people need to let that go, or at least ease off a bit.

NoPace

Think he's the closest thing to Modrić around, if he developed some aggression to his game. The way he moves with the ball, his technique and passing. Has the potential to be fantastic.
I think he's less agile and good in the final 3rd than Modric, but stronger and could end up being better as the #8 role that Kroos plays at Madrid and lets Modric press further forward.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Seeing Xavi's supposed recent comments on his game and I can't see Frenkie being happy.

Basically, he wants de Jong to stop searching for the ball and remain further forwards behind opposition lines. Well, not only is de Jong at his best when he's roaming from bottom to top searching for the ball as the teams focal point, that's when he enjoys his football the most, too.

He may be a Barcelona fan, but them pressuring him out coupled with this is a good sign for us.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
ETH is the only card we have to play, same with Ole and Haaland right? Every club who can afford the fee will pay him a lot and start him, obviously. I don’t like hearing the player isn’t interested this early on. If it was me and my money I’d already be looking elsewhere. I really don’t think this will happen anyway. The player will probably dig in and hold out for a surer thing if he has to go this summer. Maybe next summer if we are in better shape we will be more attractive and he’ll be cheaper.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Seems like the caf are really trying to will this Kamara over to United. Based on extremely little, I see his name discussed an awful lot. I get it, he’s out of contract, but seems very little chance of him coming here, think people need to let that go, or at least ease off a bit.
Don’t need to be Kamara. Can be anyone else as long as the cost in range of 0m-25m. I don’t think finding someone to play in Schone‘s role in 18/19 needs to be 50m or more

Teja

Do you think Barcelona are going to sell De Jong for €50M

Same as above. To dream is to think that Barcelona are going to sell De Jong for that price.
Right back at you mate, to dream is to think that Barcelona can sell de Jong for 90m.

He's on massive wages and underperforming at the club while Barca is strapped for cash. Noone in their right mind will give Barca more money than they originally paid.

Fergie 7ime

He’s precisely what we need in midfield obviously. But he’s a nice weather wanker and he has been dreaming about Barca his whole life. So it’s really tricky to get him, especially without CL football.
For him it could be beautiful though. He really could become a legend here, as opposed to disappear in the shadow of Gavi and Pedri at Barca.

DarkXaero

He’s precisely what we need in midfield obviously. But he’s a nice weather wanker and he has been dreaming about Barca his whole life. So it’s really tricky to get him, especially without CL football.
For him it could be beautiful though. He really could become a legend here, as opposed to disappear in the shadow of Gavi and Pedri at Barca.
He already got to live his dream, time to move on now ;)

Bondi77

What have these attackers to do with FDJ?

You are wrong on many accounts. He has actually been quite good at Barca, not amazing, but good to very good in his first two years. This season he dipped a bit, but lets not pretend he was shit all the time.

With his skillset, he will be even more effective in England, just needs to settle after the initial change. Rodri is your best example.
I meant to reply to a post so that was the reference

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The only thing going against us with this transfer is CL football… I’m not sure he’ll accept because of that reason. I hope ten Hag can persuade him and build a team around him.

Wing Attack Plan R

Odegaard is way way overrated. Even at his worst, FdJ is not losing any ground to the best version up to date of Odegaard.

The potential of FjD is a Roll Royce of a deep play maker, that people seem to forget. He's press resistant to the extend that you feel like he's the Messi of this part of the pitch. Throwing a few players to press him even if he's facing his own goal is no use.

The issue at Barcelona is not he's struggling with the level, but the style. Barcelona system want to play more short passes, and other players in the build want more touch on the ball, where as FdJ is touch greedy. This is worse when Messi was still around, as Messi wants to get involved and having many touches in possession too.

At Ajax, FjD pretty much ran the show when they build up from deep. They kinda take the make the pitch large principle to the extreme with him; where his teammates kinda stay away from him. This allowed them to overload in other parts of the pitch having opposition hand full. FdJ alone often broke through the first press, without involving his own teammates in complicated triangle, tiki taka. FdJ is also athletic and capable defensively.

I never this level of potential in Odegaard (Require plenty more water carrier, and way less outstanding in individual brilliance). Well worth to doubling the fee if FdJ is attainable.
I really hope we get him. He’s a fun player to watch. Great passing between lines, finds space, press resistant, has a cannon shot.

Speako

The only thing going against us with this transfer is CL football… I’m not sure he’ll accept because of that reason. I hope ten Hag can persuade him and build a team around him.
Whilst I completely agree, the CL argument is an interesting one. For instance, Tottenham recently got to a CL final, may well qualify this year, and have a world class coach in situe. But would De Jong therefore go to Spurs? No I don’t see it. I don’t see any big names going there.

cyberman

Journos on Twitter/Telegram in newspapers etc
Same amount of journos are saying hes open to joining Utd and Ten Hag?
The main source for this story says the deal is 95 percent done, it seems the rest are just playing catch up

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Same amount of journos are saying hes open to joining Utd and Ten Hag?
The main source for this story says the deal is 95 percent done, it seems the rest are just playing catch up
And what is this 'main source' please?

Status
Not open for further replies.