Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I have a feeling this guy just wouldn't work in the PL. Reading Barca forums, it seems like most think he is great but inconsistent and their weakest midfielder (both in general and in terms of actual strength on the ball). He'd be an upgrade on Pog-gowl for sure, but would spunking £70mill on him be wise? I'm not sure.

Darlington Padgett

I have a feeling this guy just wouldn't work in the PL. Reading Barca forums, it seems like most think he is great but inconsistent and their weakest midfielder (both in general and in terms of actual strength on the ball). He'd be an upgrade on Pog-gowl for sure, but would spunking £70mill on him be wise? I'm not sure.
When he plays in his natural role he's their best midfielder by a mile. His biggest strength is carrying the ball forward, Xavi insists in using Busquets for that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You talk about the idea that a team can only truly have one player dictating the tempo of a game, yet you refuse to acknowledge the principle that a team can only really have one deepest midfielder. If two players in that central midfield area want to be the deepest midfielder, it is detrimental to at least one of them.

The configuration of the Ajax midfield was very much ordinary - there is no exception to the rule for me to accept here.

You are now getting hung up on Xavi, Busquets and Barcelona. I first mentioned the Barcelona midfield because you were unable to grasp that Schone can be a deep lying midfielder or deep lying playmaker, and be called either a no.6 or a no.8, and be a second function midfielder. I then provided you with two groups of players who could all be described as deep lying midfielders/ playmakers to highlight the difference between first and second function midfielders. Instead you cherry picked a few and went off on a tangent about tempo dictators.

Your 'evidence' proves nothing. Your screenshots marry up with what I have said regarding the Ajax midfield, the other images are silly and the video is by a moron. This is what I wrote in this thread weeks before our conversation started:

If I had the inclination to find out where to source screenshot from games and then how to post them I perhaps would but currently I'm in the dark and not going to make the effort to change that.

Busquets is a remarkably intelligent defender, but De Jong is also great at reading and anticipating, has a bit more mettle and is the complete opposite of Busquets in that he is an athlete with a Fernandinho/ Kante like ability to cover ground quickly.

Also, are you sure you remember Alonso with Modric, and what happened after he was voted La Liga's worst signing?
You still don't get the difference. One operates deeper than the other is not the difference here I'm trying to tell you. I didn't refuse to acknowledge that as I even told you what you said is actually the general idea of how lot of manager play and even how Ajax in 21/22 played like what you described where Gravenberch gets license to go forward, while Álvarez was the holding midfielder. In Ajax 18/19, FDJ still operated deeper than Schone but deeper doesn't mean Schone gets license to go forward, that's what Im telling you that you are wrong when you said Schone gets license to go forward.

The general idea of double pivot that you mentioned is sometime both on the same line, while sometime one player stays in his position and his partner gets license to roam forward (became no 8). In this sense one is deeper than the other. However, The Ajax 18/19 double pivot is different to what you mentioned.

Here is the difference:

The difference is that sometime both FDJ and Schone on the same line, while sometime FDJ dropped deeper to form back three (became like CB) and his partner Schone stayed in his position (still a no.6), I showed you the screen shots as evidences where the full backs, Schone, FDJ positioned themselves. In this sense one is still deeper than the other except that Schone didn't get license to go forward, it was FDJ the ones dropped deeper to form back three during the build up play as he got license to roam. That's why lot of people out there used ''libero role'' or ''modern libero role'' to describe FDJ 18/19 role. My statement was backed by the Ajax fan, Adnan, and other poster that previously replied to you. If Ajax 21/22 is how ETH wants to play, that's different discussion. But I have been specifically only talking/discussing about Ajax 18/19 not just Ajax or Ajax 21/22 or even Barcelona.

I challenge you to show me the actual Ajax 18/19 not other teams to prove yourself right and prove me wrong, can you do that? Ajax 18/19 is very well known so there are lot of website or online media out there talking about it that you can use as references to support your statement. If you think you are right then surely you can't be the only person in this world who has different opinion of how Ajax 18/19 play.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Pog-gowl. So creative. Did you come up with that yourself?

Andrew7582

I get the same feeling from watching him in La Liga, he looks a bit soft to me and i'm not convinced he'll adapt successfully to the prem. One thing is for certain, we would need a robust ball winner next to him to do the dirty work for him.

Telsim

We need a crowbar to pry him away from Barcelona. He is willing to take a pay cut just so he stays there and doesn't come here. I'm starting to question if it's worth it if he doesn't want to be here? We already have way too many players of that sort and we also don't have time to waste dilly-dallying. Maybe it should be us going for Neves or whoever?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need a crowbar to pry him away from Barcelona. He is willing to take a pay cut just so he stays there and doesn't come here. I'm starting to question if it's worth it if he doesn't want to be here? We already have way too many players of that sort and we also don't have time to waste dilly-dallying. Maybe it should be us going for Neves or whoever?
If what you say is true then ultimately our attempts to sign him will be unsuccessful and we will sign someone else anyway.

Jibbs

I like FDJ but if Barca is asking anything above 50 we should target Neves. Get Neves and Rice and be sorted.

bosskeano

I like FDJ but if Barca is asking anything above 50 we should target Neves. Get Neves and Rice and be sorted.
FDJ is better than both of them combined....just don't see the fascination with Rice

romufc

This rumour has gone cold, I think it was a plot from Barcelona for something. Doubt he is even remotely interested in us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Neves would probably prefer to go to Barcelona himself I imagine. He’d probably also cost more than 50, and is not as good a player in any case IMO.

Vapor trail

This rumour has gone cold, I think it was a plot from Barcelona for something. Doubt he is even remotely interested in us.
I'd be more skeptical about all the noise. Silence and then a breakthrough. p.s hopefully

Superman123

Supports
Ajax
Frenkie his physique is great. He is strong in duels, his condition is great and he is fast. His defending is super underrated.
If he would play on his natural position, giving trust and responsibility I believe he's worth more than the 70 milion pounds.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I can see him going to PSG - it’s like the Barcelona retirement team but in France.

Last edited:

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Can we just move on from this please ? We are some arrogant pricks thinking this deal is realistic. No way De Jong in his prime wants to join this mayhem. We already missed out on Kamara by chasing him. Who will be the next one ? Nevez ?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Going to play in France is a joke at this stage of his career.

Mainoldo

Can we just move on from this please ? We are some arrogant pricks thinking this deal is realistic. No way De Jong in his prime wants to join this mayhem. We already missed out on Kamara by chasing him. Who will be the next one ? Nevez ?
Pogba, Di Maria, Sanchez, Varane, Sancho.

I mean so many names. It’s cute to think we are irrelevant but if Villa can get a player you are so disappointed in missing out on. I’m sure United can get De Jong.

Roario

United is still the biggest club in the best league in the world. I find these statements amusing, to be honest.
United was never in for Kamara and Neves is not good enough for a top team in the premier league.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think the possibility is now lower. I don’t really know why, it’s just feels less likely now. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

AneRu

We should never underestimate the influence of the manager that gave him his big break, it all depends on ETH and I suspect FDJ will know that the former will make him a central player to his rebuild which would help him get back to his absolute best and increase his influence. Its a slim chance but I think its whole lot better than sacrificing his career playing in a farmers' league.

Its us I am worried about though, even if we get him we'd still need a physical ball winner to play next to him but I would think that we could get him (or another player) over the line then Timber and Antony and call it quits but I think we need more in midfield and Timber is a bit of a risk aerially.

Judas

Open to offers
If we wanted Kamara we’d have signed him, just like every other big club, the interest was clearly minimal.

dinostar77

United is still the biggest club in the best league in the world. I find these statements amusing, to be honest.
United was never in for Kamara and Neves is not good enough for a top team in the premier league.
:lol:

When did we last win the PL or CL?

The lad should go to bayern thats the sensible choice. The muppet in me hopes ETH could convince him otherwise but lack of CL next season makes me doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.