Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcucumber

I'd be delighted if we got Frenkie and nobody else tbh, we would need to sell a lot more to bring others in, otherwise we'll just have a more bloated squad. But we could have a very strong midfield with him in. The problem is .. there is no other links, and Frenkie himself still feels very unlikely to come, so as of now... van de Beek and Garner coming in to join Fred and McTominay will be the midfield group behind Bruno and Hannibal.
Going yet another season without a defensively minded midfielder would be asking for trouble. It'd be much worse in fact, seeing as Matic is leaving and was the only one capable of performing in that role. We absolutely NEED two midfielders to replace the outgoing Matic and Pogba - it shouldn't be a case of either or. To ignore it would be borderline criminal negligence and would put a real downer on the new regime.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What the hell does fair play mean?
It means that they're not going to play fair by financial fair play, and they're going to magically find some buildings under the couch cushions that they can sell for a billion euros.

Hughie77

FFP . Is coming into play with every club now, there realy scrutinising clubs now after the City bullshit.
So maybe Barca will have to sell player or players. Let's see. Djong is imo still a long shot.

SER19

I have a bad feeling about this one. Either a) it won't happen or b) de jong on his own won't fix anything

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have a bad feeling about this one. Either a) it won't happen or b) de jong on his own won't fix anything
What would possibly give you the impression that the club plans to sign De Jong on his own?

Giggsy13

I hope this doesn’t drag on. Move on to other targets if he isn’t fully committed to leaving Barca.

Bojan Djordjic

Think it’s important we don’t get fixated on one player this window. Frenkie is great and would be very high on my choices for that second midfield signing but I also think there’s more quality in that position than there is at defensive midfield so if Barca start acting the pricks then leave the negotiation table and sign our second preference.

SER19

What would possibly give you the impression that the club plans to sign De Jong on his own?
On his own for midfield i mean. Several stories suggest we're after CB, midfielder, striker and a full back. I think we need 2 top class midfielders to even think about being competitive again

flappyjay

FFP . Is coming into play with every club now, there realy scrutinising clubs now after the City bullshit.
So maybe Barca will have to sell player or players. Let's see. Djong is imo still a long shot.
Its the la liga fair play rules that are bothering them. The uefa ffp means feck all.

flappyjay

On his own for midfield i mean. Several stories suggest we're after CB, midfielder, striker and a full back. I think we need 2 top class midfielders to even think about being competitive again
I 2nd this. If we had PSG type money I would suggest 3.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Think it’s important we don’t get fixated on one player this window. Frenkie is great and would be very high on my choices for that second midfield signing but I also think there’s more quality in that position than there is at defensive midfield so if Barca start acting the pricks then leave the negotiation table and sign our second preference.
Couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s really not that hard to find an energetic defensive player, there’s good ones scattered all over Europe. Finding a playmaker who can control games with the same quality as De Jong is near impossible. There’s probably only a handful of world class players in that role and most are already locked up at the top clubs. If there’s even a slither of hope of picking him up we have to go all out.

Raven

If you think we're competing for the league next season then you're going to be very disappointed.

Bojan Djordjic

Couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s really not that hard to find an energetic defensive player, there’s good ones scattered all over Europe. Finding a playmaker who can control games with the same quality as De Jong is near impossible. There’s probably only a handful of world class players in that role and most are already locked up at the top clubs. If there’s even a slither of hope of picking him up we have to go all out.
I’m talking about a player like a Rodri. We already have one energetic, ball winning midfielder and he’s just not tactically disciplined enough to perform that role to a high level.

Genuine question but who are you thinking of? I’m struggling.

caid

I’m talking about a player like a Rodri. We already have one energetic, ball winning midfielder and he’s just not tactically disciplined enough to perform that role to a high level.

From what people say about him he sounds pretty close to Rodri. Maybe a bit closer to Jorginho but a similar player.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Okay maybe I'm getting confused by the type of defensive mid you are referring to? For me De Jong is very much a midfield playmaker adept at playing as a 6 or an 8. I think he could end up similar to a Carrick type player in the long run because his passing and press resistance is top tier. When people say defensive mids, I think primarily of players like Ndidi or even Rice rather than players like Rodri. Personally I agree that we are much more in need of a playmaker like Rodri over a purely defensive player.

SER19

If you think we're competing for the league next season then you're going to be very disappointed.
Competitive, in any sense. Not getting brushed aside by city and liverpool. Not being unfancied in every game. Were not going near title but huge strides will be made if were actually a good well coached side again. We need a midfield. Brightons is superior. So is West Hams. We're so far off in that area its incredible

LuckyScout78

Can look really strong this 3/5 midfield line up:

Raphinha - Bruno - Tchouaméni/Locatelli/Garner - De Jong - Rashford/Sancho + Ronaldo/Nunez

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Can look really strong this 3/5 midfield line up:

Raphinha - Bruno - Tchouaméni/Locatelli/Garner - De Jong - Rashford/Sancho + Ronaldo/Nunez
Some muppetry your doing there! :lol:

Optimism aside I'll doubt we could get a sniff from the likes of tchouameni and Raphinha.
Nunez unlikely as well .

Hughie77

Its the la liga fair play rules that are bothering them. The uefa ffp means feck all.
Yes they got those in la liga as well, unlike the Premier league rules that City mysteriously didn't break or still under investigation. Let's see then if they have to sell.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
First midfielder we want and it's a saga. Just wondering how fast we'll miss out on remaining DM's on the market.

GoldanoGraham

All gone quiet now since the almost 100% nailed on tweets from Spain last week……

Barca must have just been leaking info in order to get a bit more interest and more money…..

Cannot see him coming to Utd now

Esquire

La Liga enforces it. Mainly due to the need to maintain financial discipline from Covid. Barca on top of that had huge debts anyway. Still don’t think FDJ is coming as he clearly doesn’t want to. And we should not make the mistake of recruiting players who don’t want to be here in the first place.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It’s only been about two weeks since the first link to be fair. It can’t be a saga yet unlike Vidal and Sneijder :lol:
I'm curious what would happen if we got Vidal instead of Pogba. As for Frenk could it be that we wait on Pog to make up his mind, what he really wants and where he wants to play ?

It's early, still May but I'd love to go on tour with somewhat modified squad to try something new tactically and most of all mentally. Just sayin.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Basically what I read in that Tweet is
Laporta: Forgive me Barcelona fans but we must sell Frenkie. Don't blame me.

Status
Not open for further replies.