Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I just can't see this happening so I can't get remotely excited for it at all. I'm a huge transfer muppet but I just can't get on board for this. De Jong does not sound fussed to leave at all. Even if Barca had to sell him, I can't see him not going to a CL club.

didz

So if we offer 101M for them, they'll turn us down? Madness. No wonder they're a billion in debt.
Don't be silly. It clearly say 80 euros, minus 100m euros. They're just throwing money at us.

We're going to build a midfield and make Barcelona pay for it!

djembatheking

If he leaves Barca surely he will want to go to a champions league club. There are no guarantees that United will improve enough next year to make top 4 , big risk for him coming here. Typical United to chase him all summer then panic buy someone else last minute.

SAFMUTD

Just sign him or dont, but get over it. Its been at least 3 weeks of "Ten Haag trying to convince him" "Barca dont want to sell it...but he can go for the right price" "Xavi is in love with him but knows the financial situation" "Barca is his dream club, he prefers a move to a UCL club"... its so fecking boring.

Longshanks

I hope this dosent turn into a repeat of the fabregas saga and we end up panic signing James ward-prowse on deadline day because we spent all summer trying to make a deal happen that was never going to happen.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
Just sign him or dont, but get over it. Its been at least 3 weeks of "Ten Haag trying to convince him" "Barca dont want to sell it...but he can go for the right price" "Xavi is in love with him but knows the financial situation" "Barca is his dream club, he prefers a move to a UCL club"... its so fecking boring.
Yah same shit again and again.

copen1945

His price just went up. Erik should do his best to convince Frenkie to come to United as soon as possible. His wage and his transfer fee will only increase with any delay.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Smells like BS to me. Essentially the whole thing is on pause while Frenkie is with the Netherlands so the journos have to write something. Why the heck would the price have gone up? Barca still need to sell - that hasn't changed. 80m euros will do it, I'm sure.
Agree with this. During international duty these transfers usually dont make much progress, unless its at the end of the window. Journos just have to write something, but theres no relevant new info. They just make shit up.

I agree you'll end up getting him around 80m euro's. Probably be a done deal within 2 weeks after international duty.

El__Jingo

people just need to chill out with this transfer, it'll happen.. just sit back and relax.

Hawkeye

We need to start leaking we are looking at alternative targets just to panic them

GoldanoGraham

Unless a price has been agreed then we would not be allowed to talk to FDG…..so either we have or it’s bullshit that ETH has been trying to convince him to join!

Transfer market doesn’t open until this Friday anyway!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Google translate says:

Rest.
This Wednesday the thing can be moved.

(Absolutely no context or indication he's talking about anything United related)
It’s probably about us. He loves teasing United fans.

If he actually had something I’m sure he’d just come out with it though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is this actually any closer to being done? Or is it just going to be one of them transfers that drag out all summer… bit like the sancho one and then we’ll decide to sign him next summer for the price they wanted this year.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Is this actually any closer to being done? Or is it just going to be one of them transfers that drag out all summer… bit like the sancho one and then we’ll decide to sign him next summer for the price they wanted this year.
We don't know.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
There's been no progress in this transfer for a while. If Frenkie decides to join us, then that's when we'll see this progress.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Unless a price has been agreed then we would not be allowed to talk to FDG…..so either we have or it’s bullshit that ETH has been trying to convince him to join!

Tapping up is illegal but common practice. You need to know whether the player is even willing to come to you before you put in a bid as it's a waste of time if not.

Also you can agree deals before the market opens.

Cman

This has gone very quiet which makes me nervous. Really hope we get this one over the line as I think he would be our biggest signing in over a decade and would speed up the Ten Hag rebuild massively.
Im hoping this has gone quiet due to player being on international duty. I think they play their last game next Tuesday.
If we don’t have the deal done by end of next week I feel it’s not happening and we have to walk away

croadyman

There’s probably one credible journalist who got a sniff we were interested 3-4 weeks ago. Basically that Barca might want to sell and we might want to buy. Everyone else is just reiterating that daily, and those Utd Report aggregator accounts take a snippet from said article as post it as though it’s some kind of breaking new development.

There is next to nothing to see here.
Who was that journalist out of interest?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Who was that journalist out of interest?
I think he's referring to that original Gerard Romero report. Since then, the only real bits of news have been other journalists corroborating Romero and then Frenkie speaking out about his desire to stay at Barcelona.

Zetrio2002

Money is not the major issue as united is rich.

Frenkie needs to realise this is his last chance to land a major deal.

ti vu

Not necessary for fee to be agreed before buying clubs allowed to talk with players legally. Because in some cases, it would also require players input to conclude the fee, term (buy back clause).

For example, Aubameyang transfer to Barcelona. Arsenal only paid a smaller portion of his remaining contract before releasing him. They had previously allowed Barcelona to talk with him when they tried to loan him. Because of his wage is too high and Barcelona couldn't afford the loan, Arsenal eventually agreed to terminate his contract so Aubameyang could join Barcelona on different term as free agent.

To allow buying club to discuss transfer with player means that seller club is open to sell the player. So there is hope if ETH indeed got permission to call FdJ.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Clubs talk to players and his agent before agreeing fee all the time, that's why after agreeing fee it hardly takes any time to sign complicated contracts.

The window you are talking about is registration window, clubs can agree time anytime of the year.

OmarUnited4ever

He’d be a transformative signing. The low end of that range seems quite reasonable. About £67m? They paid £77m for him a few years ago. Feels like this one can get done with £60-65m plus ~£10m in bonuses (reasonable, not martial-esque balon d’or type clauses).
He would be an excellent addition to the the midfield, in that regard, yes, he could be transformative signing for the club (since we got only McFred in midfield), but he won't be a "Cantona" level transformative, he didn't achieve much with Barca, though it might be understandable why.

Barca paid around €75M for him in 2019, which is about £63M, so as per the tweet, they want €80M - €100M, which is expected in normal circumstances, like if they didn't want to sell him and the player wanted to leave, however, Barca is desperate and in a financial turmoil, United can take advantage of that and test Barca's resolve with an opening bid of €50M with some add-ons, and not go beyond €70M. (£60M).

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

If Di Maria of all people to Barca ends up facilitating the De Jong transfer... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.