Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Miller

Eriksen as an alternative doesn't mean he would play in the same role or that he is similar to Frenckie de Jong. If we sign Eriksen, we'll probably see different players alongside him in the middle that would be with De Jong.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This is why I don't like utdreport. There's nothing in Ornstein's article (free to read for everyone) that states Eriksen as a Frenkie alternative. Ornstein stated that we have alternatives but didn't name any of them. Eriksen's just someone else that we're looking at on top of Frenkie De Jong, probably as an opportunistic signing for our attack more so than someone who provides us with a particular need.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Eriksen as an alternative doesn't mean he would play in the same role or that he is similar to Frenckie de Jong. If we sign Eriksen, we'll probably see different players alongside him in the middle that would be with De Jong.
Eriksen plays a lot further forward than De Jong, He would be more of a replacement for players like Mata and Lingard and competition for Bruno rather than a solution to our midfield issues.

DevilRed

To be fair the certainties that people have around Nunez is a bit wild to me. Now I know little about the player but rarely do you see a player with such a small sample size of excellence be labeled as a sure thing.
Only started because the dippers signed him.

If we had? It'd be the other way around. He'd be labeled a donkey that we overpaid for.

Some posters on here just don't want to be objective.

Giggsy13

Basically buying not good enough players Won’t help us.
We should as well buy 10 ligue 2 players for that cost too, easy…
Were we not embarrassed enough by the Mane and Salah threads prior to their move to Liverpool? Neves and Tielemans might be players primed to make the next step yet we dismiss them for an overpriced Dutch midfielder.

Charles Miller

Eriksen plays a lot further forward than De Jong, He would be more of a replacement for players like Mata and Lingard and competition for Bruno rather than a solution to our midfield issues.
If Ten Hag is going to use 4-2-1-3 Eriksen would be a midfielder for sure. It would be Bruno or Eriksen in the "1" role.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How would Eriksen be an alternative to De Jong? Different sort of players aren't they??
He's not. Ornstein didn't say that. Ornstein said "United made an offer for Eriksen". Later in the article, Ornstein said "De Jong remains our #1 priority. But it is understood talks between United and Barcelona have some way to run and the Premier League club have other options".

It's literally unrelated to Eriksen.

Mmm-Qatarian

This is why I don't like utdreport. There's nothing in Ornstein's article (free to read for everyone) that states Eriksen as a Frenkie alternative. Ornstein stated that we have alternatives but didn't name any of them. Eriksen's just someone else that we're looking at on top of Frenkie De Jong, probably as an opportunistic signing for our attack more so than someone who provides us with a particular need.
Nah to be fair, Ornstein's article has been edited. The original did contain the words "United have other options, of which Eriksen is one" but it has now been edited to remove the "of which Eriksen is one" part of the sentence.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So, happening tomorrow when he's off International duty then.

sherrinford

Nah. Fred, who plays better further forwards? Or McTominay, who has no positional nous whatsoever? You're agreeing with me without admitting it. To adequately accomodate FdJ would be to create a midfield that can compete with any team. No combination of those two, behind Bruno I'm guessing, will do that.
I'm not agreeing with you. De Jong alongside one of Fred or McTominay gives us a holding mid with a centre mid, and a silky playmaker with a box to box grafter. It would be complimentary, and therefore accommodating for De Jong.

Teja

City signed a player who had a release clause. A player they have likely been negotiating with for 2 years already. Their coach and backroom team have been in place for years and they have a clear roadmap for squad building.

We have a new backroom team in place a few weeks and are chasing players we'll have only started speaking with in May.

How on earth can people not see the different challenges involved?
They've also an extremely settled successful structure in place.

We can't go signing players left, right and centre without ETH input of some kind.
Have we not been in negotiations before the window opened? And the transfer window opening has plenty to with it because it is the window that dictates the amount of time we have. And clearly, we have a lot. Hence the club not ‘walking away and signing a couple of midfielders’, as posters have been calling for us to do for a month already, because if we can’t sign the player today, we should just give up, despite having months!

Half of the names you have listed have nothing to do with us. Why are you listing Bissouma, Kessie, Nunez as potential transfers being held up?
We've had a new manager in place and targets defined for more than a month. There's no reason why we won't sign them other than the fact that we seem to have a one target at a time policy for some strange reason.

My complaint is not that this deal is taking a long time, we know it will. This is a position / profile (midfield playmaker) where you have your primary / backup targets and maybe don't initiate conversations about the backups until we're walking away from this deal. That's totally fine.

But we're not doing anything at all in entirely unrelated positions (2nd CM spot, CB, RW, Fwd) just waiting to wrap this deal up first.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why is no other team looking at him?

If he was really that decent, European clubs would be after him if he is available?

They all seem to find money when they want a player.
Maybe no other club needs a player that can play the role and position he does…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We've had a new manager in place and targets defined for more than a month. There's no reason why we won't sign them other than the fact that we seem to have a one target at a time policy for some strange reason.

My complaint is not that this deal is taking a long time, we know it will. This is a position / profile (midfield playmaker) where you have your primary / backup targets and maybe don't initiate conversations about the backups until we're walking away from this deal. That's totally fine.

But we're not doing anything at all in entirely unrelated positions (2nd CM spot, CB, RW, Fwd) just waiting to wrap this deal up first.
It’s not a ‘strange reason’ at all, it’s simple economics. Our budget it not unlimited. If we are unable to get De Jong for 70m and instead get someone for 40m, that may determine our ability to then sign player x instead of y.

Clearly FDJ is our main target and we want to have a better idea of what we have to spend after we succeed or fail with this deal. And given its only early June, we are not under pressure to decide this evening.

Redfrog

Were we not embarrassed enough by the Mane and Salah threads prior to their move to Liverpool? Neves and Tielemans might be players primed to make the next step yet we dismiss them for an overpriced Dutch midfielder.
Never seen anything special about this two. Nothing to do with Mané and Salah really.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tielemans is nothing special.

Red_toad

If Ten Hag is going to use 4-2-1-3 Eriksen would be a midfielder for sure. It would be Bruno or Eriksen in the "1" role.
If Bruno doesn’t up his ball retention, he could very well lose his starting place.
If true it’s an interesting deal, not sure if I’d rather one of the youngsters understudies Bruno, but we shall see…

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Today's Holland's last game , right?
Would be interesting to see what he has to say in the post match interview.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Neves and Tielemans are clear upgrades to what we've got but De Jong is not 'an overpriced Dutch midfielder'

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ok pal, come back when he plays next to a bang average midfielder in the PL and we'll see how he fares. He's not even been that great at Barca who do have good players around him. So what does that mean?

You need to stop worrying about how an individual performs and consider what a title winning team will need to look like.
Again, that's why I said FDJ's Barcelona situation and issues are similar to Scholes in England. Scholes had good players around him too but the issue is that he wasn't used in the role that plays his strength.

A title winning team is about team pal not just one individual player!! Even if we sign one of prime Scholes or prime Kante or prime Xavi, one of them alone won't solve the current midfield issue now. So does that mean signing someone as caliber as prime Kante or prime Xavi or prime Scholes will be similar to signing Pogba then?? The answer is No!! The same with FDJ!!

So stop using Pogba as comparison, that's what Im telling you not telling you individual performance. Neither Pogba and FDJ situation are even similar. No one expect United to be title winning team by signing one midfielder only.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was always going to drag out while they play hard ball over the fee.

I'm sure it'll get done anyway. We need the player and they need the money. Somebody will cave.

DSG

I'm not agreeing with you. De Jong alongside one of Fred or McTominay gives us a holding mid with a centre mid, and a silky playmaker with a box to box grafter. It would be complimentary, and therefore accommodating for De Jong.
Options if we don’t buy a true DM (neither Fred nor McT are true DMs, they are box-to-box CMs):

1. Play a 4-3-3 with McT and Fred ahead of Frenkie, winning the ball, pressing, making late runs into the box, etc. FDJ is the distributor. I kind of like this, but Bruno either plays as a winger or is left out.

2. Play a midfield diamond with Frenkie at the base, McFred on either side and Bruno at the top of the diamond. Ronaldo paired with Sancho/Rashford up top.

I don’t think Ten Hag’s long term plan is to convert either Fred or McT into a DM. We’ve tried for years, but it hasn’t happened. If we don’t get a DM this summer, I expect ETH will try for one after the World Cup in the January window.

Rolaholic

They want around the same amount Havertz and Pepe went for.

Pretty sure the club will be able to find an agreement between 75-80m in the end likely including achievable add-ons

James35

I’m waiting for the ‘he’s on holiday, nothing will be sorted until he comes back’ posts.

MUFC OK

It's the Glazers so I'm prepared for the "won't be held to ransom" excuse and us walking away, especially if we can get Eriksen on a free (and yes I'm aware they play different positions).

Rolaholic

I’m waiting for the ‘he’s on holiday, nothing will be sorted until he comes back’ posts.
You know it's coming :lol:

He'll officially be on holiday after tonight's NL match against Wales.

There's also this

NewYorkRed

“Here are 200 characters to tell you there is no update.”
You do know literally thousands of fans constantly message him for updates on this stuff, right? And it is his literal job to get more engagements on his tweets, its what he does for a living. Grow up.

Olecurls99

How do you know that?

Von Mistelroum

Good grief what an assessment of one of the top 3-5 midfielders in the world. He's easily not only better than those two, but also the kind of player who will understand the importance of the plan and tactics and potentially be Captain material too. I'm certain that Ronaldo would be far more productive being supported by players like De Jong and Eriksen who can actually string passes together and read play for a nice change.

Tielemans and Neves are good players who would be a solid improvement McFred, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.