Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So Barca are asking for the money upfront?

No wonder we are having to put our other business on pause. It's madness really.

ETH clearly wants him 100% so we can't afford to let him down on that, but at the same time he really needs investment in other areas too.

Fecking Barca.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
At this point are these walking away comments a parody? It's so obvious this deal will happen and we'll sign him. This weird "for the love of god we must move on!!!" posts are bizarre.
Maybe they love the pain? Start again with Ruben, walk away as we're closing it, then someone else, then they get to moan about McFred. Sadcafe.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Am still on the fence with this one. Obviously we want to get it over the line, but in all honesty f*ck Barca. At the same time their mismanagement has led them to a point where they could realistically not be able to pay players, they want no consequences to their actions.

United have come in with a very, very respectable offer given De Jong is clearly Barca's most sellable asset and they're haggling like they're not a club that is simultaneously literally selling off its future for survival.

If ever we hold the cards, it's now. So I kinda hope we stay strong, because if not now then when?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just need to move on from this. It’s not like he is world class which we should be breaking the bank for!
He's actually the only midfielder we could get who could be world class, and is the dream midfield signing for that role. Actually though. It's not often you have a chance to make the dream signing for a needed role. We have to do whatever we can to get it over the line.

Posh Red

No wonder we are having to put our other business on pause. It's madness really.

ETH clearly wants him 100% so we can't afford to let him down on that, but at the same time he really needs investment in other areas too.

Fecking Barca.
It says guaranteed rather than upfront. Two different things

The Urban Goose

Fecking Barca.
Full fee guaranteed doesn’t mean all up front.

NewYorkRed

If this is to be done, it will be done at 80 mill Euros. They won’t say no to that.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm sorry, but if you want the full fee guarenteed, you can't expect the full price.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'm not quite sure what they mean then, surely the money is guaranteed anyway?

Unless you mean very achievable bonuses or something
Instalments rather than lump sum.

Morpheus 7

Harry Maguire vibes, the price is 80m, what about 50, no 80m. On loop, United will look inept if they mess up this transfer. Been at it too long now, will look like idiots unless price somehow comes down.

El Presidente

It's instalments. Clubs don't really pay the whole amount upfront, but rather spread the cost in multiple years. This was a major obstacle for the Sancho deal, as well. Barca obviously need the cash urgently so it makes sense for them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Bonuses are not mandatory in a transfer. We paid 80m for Maguire, and famously, we also paid it upfront. But we could have also paid 80m for him but over 3 years. It’s still a guaranteed 80, not 60 and 20 in it depends.

Adam-Utd

It's instalments. Clubs don't really pay the whole amount upfront, but rather spread the cost in multiple years. This was a major obstacle for the Sancho deal, as well. Barca obviously need the cash urgently so it makes sense for them.
I know we usually spread the money out over the length of the contract, but isn't that normal?

What are Barca asking differently now then?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

They want 86m euros guaranteed (no bonuses) doesn’t mean some can’t be paid in instalments though. Although I assume they want the bulk upfront to reinvest

Adam-Utd

They want 86m euros guaranteed (no bonuses) doesn’t mean some can’t be paid in instalments though. Although I assume they want the bulk upfront to reinvest
I see. So spread it over 4/5 years, I don't see a big deal with that.

Kaushal

Great negotiation by us - I don’t think they’ve moved their asking price an inch
Agreed :lol: And you can’t say it’s surprising tbh. We can’t even negotiate down the price with teams in financial mess and have to sell the player themselves.:lol:

Posh Red

I assume the opposite would be bonuses contingent on player/team achievements, which is quite common with transfers. Nunez to Liverpool being a recent example.

The Purley King

It all depends on ETH. If he has said “get this geezer in whatever the cost” then fair enough let’s pony up and do it sharpish.
If he has said “I want him but at no more than €65m” then that is a different story .

Nobody here knows the urgency or priority so relax and see what happens ….. hard to say to battle hardened muppets I know :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know we usually spread the money out over the length of the contract, but isn't that normal?

What are Barca asking differently now then?
They are asking for 85 to mean 85, not 70 + 15 in maybes.

Gandalf

Agreed :lol: And you can’t say it’s surprising tbh. We can’t even negotiate down the price with teams in financial mess and have to sell the player themselves.:lol:
We absolutely have to make a final bid of 75M euro or whatever and say take it or leave it and be prepared to walk away. I just cannot see Barca holding out much longer as they have no plan B and they have to sell FDJ to go after the targets Xavi wants and register the free agents they have already signed.

NewYorkRed

We absolutely have to make a final bid of 75M euro or whatever and say take it or leave it and be prepared to walk away. I just cannot see Barca holding out much longer as they have no plan B and they have to sell FDJ to go after the targets Xavi wants and register the free agents they have already signed.
You want us to walk away over ~7-8M euros for a player the new manager has determined central to his plans? Not going to happen.

Kaushal

Posters here told me that it’s a great game of blink, chicken and eggs, trigger and barca are in a financial mess and economic crisis of epic proportions. They told me they are bluffing. They need us more than we need them. They will sweat more and more as June ends comes closer. Here we are, they haven’t budged down even a million :lol: . I’m afraid the deal might not happen the longer the situation remains like this. And if it does happen then you know we gonna pay them the amount they were asking for from the beginning. We aren’t negotiating anything down. Who are we kidding ? :lol:

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Posters here told me that it’s a great game of blink, chicken and eggs, trigger and barca are in a financial mess and economic crisis of epic proportions. They told me they are bluffing. They need us more than we need them. They will sweat more and more as June ends comes closer. Here we are, they haven’t budged down even a million :lol: . I’m afraid the deal might not happen the longer the situation remains like this. And if it does happen then you know we gonna pay them the amount they were asking for from the beginning :lol:.
United finshed 6th in the league and the midfield was horrible all season long, I'm pretty sure there's some pretty serious needs and certainly no reason to insert 2 laughing emoticons.

Suv666

I absolutely adore De Jong but I also dont want to us pay a penny over 60 million.

What happens if Barca can't offload De Jong?
Its shooting ourselves in the foot but I kinda want Utd to walk away at the last moment if it fecks Barca over massively.

Gandalf

You want us to walk away over ~7-8M euros for a player the new manager has determined central to his plans? Not going to happen.
If we don't want to be back in the same position every fecking window from here to eternity we do need to do this. Barca are taking the piss and negotiating from an incredibly weak position in the belief we will just pony up. ETH has allegedly identified alternatives, make our best and final offer for Frenkie and if Barca want to play hardball we move on and then see how fast they come running back to the negotiating table. They are talking about buying Lewa and Silva, not to mention Raphina and yet right now they can't even afford to register Christensen who they got for free because they are over their wage limit.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I absolutely adore De Jong but I also dont want to us pay a penny over 60 million.

Its shooting ourselves in the foot but I kinda want Utd to walk away at the last moment if it fecks Barca over massively.
You guys are weird, you'd give up on the main target of your new coach and probably the only high quality midfielder on the market just to feck Barça over? Have you forgotten last season?

Kaushal

It’s like you like an expensive vase and want to buy it. The owner is broke and is in serious financial trouble. He has to pay the mortgage at the end of the month so he has to sell the stuff he owns. He has no choice and is desperate. And you are still not able to bring price down after all this.

Judas

Open to offers

This is beyond weird. Who gives a feck if we help out Barca, I just care about us.

Suv666

You guys are weird, you'd give up on the main target of your new coach and probably the only high quality midfielder on the market just to feck Barça over? Have you guys forgotten last season?
Only if it fecks them over massively then yea like 4 grand deep to a loan shark who is about to start breaking bones fecked.
Would be good fun that

Status
Not open for further replies.