Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

USREDEVIL

I absolutely adore De Jong but I also dont want to us pay a penny over 60 million.

What happens if Barca can't offload De Jong?
Its shooting ourselves in the foot but I kinda want Utd to walk away at the last moment if it fecks Barca over massively.
I'd be fine with walking. Might have to do a Sancho and come back next year.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd be fine with walking. Might have to do a Sancho and come back next year.
Nah this is a very different one time opportunity. The stars are aligning for this window otherwise no chance hes interested.

Gandalf

You guys are weird, you'd give up on the main target of your new coach and probably the only high quality midfielder on the market just to feck Barça over? Have you forgotten last season?
I don't care about fecking Barca over. Thanks to his international responsibilities Frenkie would not be joining us until July anyway, meanwhile Chelsea are sniffing around Lewa, lots of teams checking in on Raphina and so Barca are on the clock. Only one team should be sweating right now and it is not us, we are gutless idiots if we cannot force the price down with this strong a hand.

Kaushal

United finshed 6th in the league and the midfield was horrible all season long, I'm pretty sure there's some pretty serious needs and certainly no reason to insert 2 laughing emoticons.
Oh i agree but what I meant was people here told me all of that, that Barca need us more than we need them and they are bluffing and they will sweat and accept our offer bla bla bla.

And you have problem with 2 ? Here are 3 laughing emoticons for you for not understanding the post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

sparx99

It’s like you like an expensive vase and want to buy it. The owner is broke and is in serious financial trouble. He has to pay the mortgage at the end of the month so he has to sell the stuff he owns. He has no choice and is desperate. And you are still not able to bring price down after all this.
In that analogy you still need the sales to equal your mortgage which is what Barca are arguing. It’s pointless selling all the stuff if you still end up £200 short.

Suv666

This is beyond weird. Who gives a feck if we help out Barca, I just care about us.
Imagine first thing ETH does is push Barca into bankruptcy. How many managers can claim they liquidated a club?

Stadjer

A thought exercise for the people who want to walk away

Think back to last season, McTominay is starting in midfield and doing his very best impression of a Manchester United midfielder. Now think about Frenkie de Jong the footballer. Do you still want to walk away from the deal now?

Gandalf

Oh i agree but what I meant was people here told me all of that, that Barca need us more than we need them and they are bluffing and they will sweat and accept our offer bla bla bla.

And you have problem with 2 ? Here are 3 laughing emoticons for you for not understanding the post. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Three? I guess 1 for Lewa, I for Silva and 1 for Kounde. The players Xavi asked for and won't be getting if they don't sell Frenkie. Barca fans are going mental over the delays, they want this deal done and their new shiny toys bought so if you think Barca are not under pressure right now you are dreaming. The deal will get done and we won't be paying 86M I am sure of it.

Mainoldo

I find it funny, they can’t do a damn thing until he’s sold. No other club is paying anything above €60m for him… but they hold the cards?

I say we tell them we will be back. Do all our business and whatever is left over we try and iron out a deal. Not like they’ll have made signings in that time.

Abraxas

Not sure why a few people are acting incredulous that Barcelona have the temerity to negotiate hard for a player who's contract they own that they invested heavily in.

L1nk

"Don't want to pay a penny over 60mill"

Genuinely can't believe some people in this thread. Like others have said, the stars have completely aligned in our favour to get a complete world class midfielder, that our new manager really wants, at the age of 25, for a cut price fee of around 60mill quid. Yet people would rather walk away from that? There will never be another opportunity like this to grab FDJ.

In any normal circumstance Barcelona do not sell FDJ, and even if they did they'd want at least double, FDJ is worth a hell of a lot more than 60mill by all account we'd be getting an absolute bargain. Stop making excuses for our penny pinching lowball offers

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

It’s like you like an expensive vase and want to buy it. The owner is broke and is in serious financial trouble. He has to pay the mortgage at the end of the month so he has to sell the stuff he owns. He has no choice and is desperate. And you are still not able to bring price down after all this.
Only that these conditions are the only reason you would be anywhere near the vase at all

Gandalf

Not sure why a few people are acting incredulous that Barcelona have the temerity to negotiate hard for a player who's contract they own that they invested heavily in.
Just take a look at the market and the fees for the deals agreed so far. Barca seem to think they are the only club that can ask for the type of fees we saw pre covid. Nobody else is at the table and they have already made it clear they want to move FDJ on, it is going to be beyond awkward for them if he is still there next season and Lewa and Kounde are at Stamford Bridge. I have no problem with them negotiating hard but so many people in this thread are acting like United are screwing this up when it is simply a game of chicken and any assessment of the facts would show we have by far the stronger hand.

Gazza

:lol:

Withnail

Genuinely can't believe some people in this thread. Like others have said, the stars have completely aligned in our favour to get a complete world class midfielder, that our new manager really wants, at the age of 25, for a cut price fee of around 60mill quid. Yet people would rather walk away from that? There will never be another opportunity like this to grab FDJ.

In any normal circumstance Barcelona do not sell FDJ, and even if they did they'd want at least double, FDJ is worth a hell of a lot more than 60mill by all account we'd be getting an absolute bargain. Stop making excuses for our penny pinching lowball offers
They're claiming they want around £73m guaranteed though, not £60m.

WPMUFC

Whilst there's always the rational reason to walk away if you think the other side is just being impossible to negotiate with, I'm getting the distinct impression that ETH would rather take FDJ over all other deals and I think getting this one done is paramount to keeping the manager happy. I just can't see this one falling through when we've got tier 1s like ducker saying we need FDJ done before Antony.

florisW

Supports
Ajax

I have beena frenkie fan since the first match he played for Ajax. Not only because of his bizar skills , but also of his no nonsense attitude. Trust me when I say. Ten Hag knows all of his qualities and he will be a fresh breeze in Man United’s midfield. You will start to love him due to his way of making his opponent crazy. His determination. The only thing he has to unlearn is the barcelonian way of nagging at the ref.

Reactions: Penna

Abraxas

Just take a look at the market and the fees for the deals agreed so far. Barca seem to think they are the only club that can ask for the type of fees we saw pre covid. Nobody else is at the table and they have already made it clear they want to move FDJ on, it is going to be beyond awkward for them if he is still there next season and Lewa and Kounde are at Stamford Bridge. I have no problem with them negotiating hard but so many people in this thread are acting like United are screwing this up when it is simply a game of chicken and any assessment of the facts would show we have by far the stronger hand.
Sure, but the fees so far don't really matter all that much. We always bang on about particular fees for players as fans. Ludicrous statements such as "if X is worth 80mill then how much is Y worth!?"as if there is some kind of scientific algorithm behind valuations.

They're all one off deals and the most important factor is always the disposition of the buyer and seller, over and above things such as age, ability, contract length, potential etc.

They know they've got a unique player that we can't easily find a plan B for, they know ETH is desperate for him, the only sensible thing to do as a Barca exec is to leverage that into the maximum. They're there to do a job for Barca, not do what we think is reasonable so I think it's a bit much to be criticising Barca for what we as Man Utd fans would like.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Brother, we finished 6th with a 0 goal difference
That wasn't down to signings though. Everyone agreed we made some excellent signings before last season started.

Last season was a total mystery. Something happened with these players that we aren't fully aware of yet. There's no other explanation for how bad they were. Morale and cohesion is far more important than shiny new toys.

Suv666

Yeah the same was said when we bought Sanchez and Maguire and AWB and Ronaldo

Then people complain about "United tax" yeah of course you're gonna get taken to the cleaners when the club who are on the verge of financial ruin are bullying you.

We have to start walking away from over expensive deals or we'll keep burning through cash.
There's always going to be a million reasons to throw whatever cash a club demands for an elite player but this strategy is going to kill us long term.

Kaushal

Three? I guess 1 for Lewa, I for Silva and 1 for Kounde. The players Xavi asked for and won't be getting if they don't sell Frenkie. Barca fans are going mental over the delays, they want this deal done and their new shiny toys bought so if you think Barca are not under pressure right now you are dreaming. The deal will get done and we won't be paying 86M I am sure of it.
I hope so. It would be disappointing if we pay them close to what they are asking for.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You want us to walk away over ~7-8M euros for a player the new manager has determined central to his plans? Not going to happen.
Problem is, if you can conclude that then so can Barca. So why not just pay up instead of wasting time. The only people we are hurting is ourselves as no other deal is being done. This can very easily drag on until we fly out for pre season and by that point, if we've signed nobody, then we've already detrimentally affected our preparations and our start to the season.

This needed to be a slick operation that gave the manager the best chance.

Nah this is a very different one time opportunity. The stars are aligning for this window otherwise no chance hes interested.
I don't know if that's true, but if you think it is then shouldn't alarm bells be ringing in your head? Do you feel like we're stepping into the same traps we have many times over the last 8 years? This is what our supporters have bemoaned for years now, not signing hungry players that come for the right reasons with the correct attitude

lex talionis

The paralysis of United management boggles the mind. If it’s true we’re 5-10m apart we should wrap this up now. We’re fecking our selves over by wasting all this time. Other deals apparently can’t get done and FFS we need to get these other desks done so that we can get the first team settled in time for a pretty brutal opening 10 matches of the season.

Instead we’ll put that all at risk over 5-10m???

choccy77

I'd rather get Eriksen for free and then fill and replace areas we need just as desperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.