Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedFire

We already have technically 'bid', that is what negotiating is.

When they say bid they mean sending official paperwork. We NEVER do that until a contract is agreed.

It's really just semantics at this point. The main thing is it's getting closer to an agreement.
I'm assuming the lack of formal bidding has something do with clauses in players contracts, I.e. triggering loyalty bonuses and the like.

DevTheRed

How is it a bargain to pay more than they paid for him, when they don't want him anymore?
I just think £70m odd is a good price for a player of his calibre.. he’s world class and would completely change how we play.

When you compare that to how much other teams have paid for other players I think it’s a bargain.

allen7

The excitement about FDJ was killed by the negotiation delays and it’ll be a relief if it gets across the line.

I hope once this deal is done we should see a flurry of deals go through like Eriksen, a backup keeper, Antony to us and Silva, Lewa, Kessie to Barca.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm assuming the lack of formal bidding has something do with clauses in players contracts, I.e. triggering loyalty bonuses and the like.
I'm not sure why buy I assume it costs more to send actual formal bids. Lawyers, paperwork etc etc.

If you can just negotiate a bid by word and then send it once everybody is happy, it saves hassle and time eveywhere.

I think people play football manager and expect this is how it's done in real life where you just spam bids.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
75M is not a crazy ask, considering we paid far more for Pogba, Lukaku and even Maguire. Heck, we paid 50M for Wan Bissaka alone.

tidraKS

I just think £70m odd is a good price for a player of his calibre.. he’s world class and would completely change how we play.

When you compare that to how much other teams have paid for other players I think it’s a bargain.
I think we'll eventually sign him, but I totally agree with you. 70 million for Frenkie is a cheap price these days. He'll make wonders in our team.

NLunited

I notice Barcelona always refer to de Jong. They are trying to sell us Luuk de Jong…

Idxomer

He might be world class and I do think he has attributes we need badly in midfield. For a number of reasons though, he hasn't shown it consistently since his move to Barca. We're relying a lot on his former manager to get him back to his form 3 seasons ago.

All of this should be reflected in what United will pay.

ShinjiNinja26

75M is not a crazy ask, considering we paid far more for Pogba, Lukaku and even Maguire. Heck, we paid 50M for Wan Bissaka alone.
That’s exactly what we’re trying to get away from, massively overpaying for players. I’m not saying Frenkie isn’t worth the money but it’s about trying to change our reputation in the transfer market and not be viewed as a club that just pays whatever the seller wants no matter how crazy the price is. Woodward really fecked us over during his time at the club and now we’re trying to change that bad rep, I suspect it will take a few windows though.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What the feck is said during lengthy negotiations for us to think to bid twice but for it to be rejected. Surely you just agree a fee during the negotiations and barter from there until agreement is reached.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He might be world class and I do think he has attributes we need badly in midfield. For a number of reasons though, he hasn't shown it consistently since his move to Barca. We're relying a lot on his former manager to get him back to his form 3 seasons ago.

All of this should be reflected in what United will pay.
Well said. I know his skillset is what we need but I really can’t shake this feeling that for that kind of money he’s just going to look like a slightly above average player here keeping it tidy and playing the odd speculative killer ball forward. It’s all about the manager though. Get him his basic ingredients to compete and take it from there. Our forward line is also still in desperate need of ideas and energy.

hobbers

The alternatives are twats like Rabiot and dross like McGinn

In other words there are no alternatives

izec

We should have gone for 72m + 15m in add ons or something like this, think they would have accepted it. They want more in the guaranteed fee.

marktan

Will we be signing many other players if this go though? 85m is a steep price when we need a DM and a RW as a minimum to be a functional team. We have pretty much no one in those positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.