Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly B

It's going to be really interesting to see where we are if/when this deal gets concluded. I think most of us are concerned that we are making the same mistakes we have made by not acting quickly enough - however if we have been able to progress other deals in the background and are just waiting for an agreement with Barcelona over FDJ then waiting until the end of June wont be the end of the world. If we haven't progressed anything ETH is going to have less time with his new signings to bed them in to the team and in a season where the first half could end up being so important I can understand why some people are worried.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You really have to question whether he's even worth this type of drawn out saga. He's not Luka Modric ffs he's just an above average ball carrying playmaker. I'd rather have a pure no.6 like Sangare or Rice any day.
Ironic you call De Jong average then name check Rice of all people :lol:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
How do you know? That is a very silly statement tbh. We are not even 2 weeks into the window.
Because most teams don't like selling their players late in the transfer window when they'll find it hard to get a replacement in.

The transfer window is for registering players, teams can negotiate even before it's open. But once again it seems like the club hasn't learned this lesson and will scramble late into the window to get players only after preseason has started.

laughtersassassin

It's going to be really interesting to see where we are if/when this deal gets concluded. I think most of us are concerned that we are making the same mistakes we have made by not acting quickly enough - however if we have been able to progress other deals in the background and are just waiting for an agreement with Barcelona over FDJ then waiting until the end of June wont be the end of the world. If we haven't progressed anything ETH is going to have less time with his new signings to bed them in to the team and in a season where the first half could end up being so important I can understand why some people are worried.
We could sign FDJ and still have a 0/10 window to be fair. Much more will be needed

romufc

Because most teams don't like selling their players late in the transfer window when they'll find it hard to get a replacement in.

The transfer window is for registering players, teams can negotiate even before it's open. But once again it seems like the club hasn't learned this lesson and will scramble late into the window to get players only after preseason has started.
Okay, so why do so many teams wait till the window to negotiate deals?

Why isnt every team, as soon as the window opens announcing 2/3 transfers each? If the deals can be done during the season and the like?

I bet you, if the club paid what Barca wanted, you'd be first to complain that we over paid.

dal

Move on at that price, he will have only be shit for us anyway.

SATA

We are going to sign him official a day before our first league game and parade him at Old Trafford Varane style and then win the game 5-1 again

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
There is no alternative for him available. It is either him or go down a completely different route.

Tielemans, Garner, Neves and whoever aren't alternatives.

worldinmotion66

Stop overpaying for players, but just sign some players already

Our fecking fan base in a nutshell.

Have some patience ffs, the squad haven't even returned for preseason yet! Calm down.

romufc

There is no alternative for him available. It is either him or go down a completely different route.

Thank you. people just struggle to understand this.

Its easy to say move on but then it changes how ten hag wants to play completely.

Nicolarra90

We are going to sign him official a day before our first league game and parade him at Old Trafford Varane style and then win the game 5-1 again
And then proceed to not repeat any win like that for the whole season

bosskeano

end of the day who gives a flying fuk what we pay....it's less money going in the glazers pockets

LoneStar

Maybe it's time to consider a different setup then. The money Barca are asking for + his reported massive wages make this a huge transfer. We shouldn't be breaking our wage structure for one individual, unless they are top 5/10 players in the world. It's not even like Di Maria or Pogba who were coming off amazing seasons in their previous clubs, Barca want to get rid of him, for his wages and the fact that Busquets is arguably better.

I feel like the problem here is that we have overcommitted to this without thinking too much about alternatives. Give them a final offer, and then move on.

LoneStar

The amount of money the Glazers take is constant, so this is also a bs statement.
Exactly. It's so wierd to see this statement parroted all over the internet. They won't take any less regardless of who we sign. We will have a rough transfer budget given to Arnold and co, and they'll have to manage all transfer signings within that budget. The Glazers are taking their dividends regardless.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Have some patience ffs, the squad haven't even returned for preseason yet! Calm down.
Funny how every other top PL club that is also in a better position than us manages to do the bolded but for this supposed biggest club in the world it's a struggle to do it with one single player over the course of multiple weeks.

Yet, the ownership do not struggle to take out their bit in dividends promptly each time and are happy to justify the outlay. I've said it plenty of times but the way some of you go on about patience, you'd think we've won the league at least twice in the last five. Mind-boggling delusion and complacency.

Kaushal

De Jong is to ten hag what Van dijk was to klopp. Extremely essential the way he wants to play and builds his team around. If he is that desperate that means he is sure of what he’s gonna bring and that’s very exciting.

Skills

Snitch
----Fred------Eriksen
----------De Jong

Is potentially quite a dynamic midfield. Eriksen regularly topped the the distance charts while he was at Spurs, and I think has put up similar numbers at Brentford. Fred is obviously a great presser, so it really sets the team up play with a lot of energy through the midfield.

If we keep DVB is also quite a high workrate player, so should be a good option off the bench to replace one of the front 2 when they're tired.

RedDevil@84

:lol: :lol:

Some of you lot will be saying the same thing in end of July. The so called fans are so happy to get desperate last min signings at end of window. They don't want planning and proactivity in the market.
Smaller clubs plan stuff in much better way. Yet, we struggle on every deal. There are so many rich clubs out there, yet almost none of them need weeks and weeks of negotiations on every deal. It is naive to assume that all selling clubs just rollover for them, but only have drawn out negotiations with us.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Move on at that price, he will have only be shit for us anyway.
Bound to be the case.
We'll finally pay exactly what Barcelona wanted two months ago, and then De Jong turns out to be shite for us, and we can't offload him because he is on £350k per week...!! :lol: :lol:

dal

Bound to be the case.
We'll finally pay exactly what Barcelona wanted two months ago, and then De Jong turns out to be shite for us, and we can't offload him because he is on £350k per week...!! :lol: :lol:
100 percent! We always buy something that we think we need for a huge price and wages and its the start of something special, that special breaksdown and they stay with us for years collecting money.:lol::lol:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Maybe it's time to consider a different setup then. The money Barca are asking for + his reported massive wages make this a huge transfer. We shouldn't be breaking our wage structure for one individual, unless they are top 5/10 players in the world. It's not even like Di Maria or Pogba who were coming off amazing seasons in their previous clubs, Barca want to get rid of him, for his wages and the fact that Busquets is arguably better.

I feel like the problem here is that we have overcommitted to this without thinking too much about alternatives. Give them a final offer, and then move on.
He's a huge player, and he fits right into our wage structure.

I don't think Busquets is currently better on his favoured position, but Busquets is a Barcelona legend and Frenkie can also be deployed to some extent in a more advanced role.

There is no midfielder we can get that is anywhere near Frenkie on the ball, ETH knows that. Frenkie de Jong is a player that should have no business going to United at this stage of his career, but because of favourable circumstances for us, it's a very likely possibility now.

CM10

As much as I like De Jong, Barcelona shouldn't really be in a position to demand more than what they paid for him. The whole world knows their financial situation and De Jong is the player they deem expendable.

The reported bids shouldn't be far off what he goes for. Perhaps more money as a guaranteed sum instead of add-ons but they don't really hold the cards.

jamesjimmybyrondean

100 percent! We always buy something that we think we need for a huge price and wages and its the start of something special, that special breaksdown and they stay with us for years collecting money.:lol::lol:
Don't forget how we would be complaining about how X player similar to De Jong who was bought for much cheaper is performing for our rivals

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Good job FDJ is on the market or Hag would've had to have signed one of those other 'inferior' players.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I just drop by the bar and listen. I don't know why I do it, because almost nothing I hear is interesting. But I keep coming back. Listening. Cursing under my breath.

Let me share some if the things I've heard:

Barfly 1: I just heard Barca rejected a Utd bid!
Barfly 2: They're desperate. They'll cave in.
Barfly 3: They don't want him!
Barfly 4: Doesn't that mean he's shit?
Barfly 1: Apparently he doesn't even want to come!
Barfly 3: He's another Di Maria!
Barfly 2: Oh not that rubbish again!
Barfly 4: He's shit anyway.
Barfly 1: My mate says we're considering to prepare a bid.
Barfly 4: We're shit! Our rivals have bought a gazillion players already!
Barfly 2: Have some feckin patience will you.

Then they leave and others come in. The exact same conversation happens all over again.

Again. And again.

And yet. Here I am. Listening. Yes. And drinking.

Iron Stove

Gotta say that Arnold and Murtogh have got some balls moving so slowly haggling on the first incredibly important deal. The player the new manager wants more than anything. Even in that fan interview Arnold mentioned that we had been throwing away cash which is true. Still though, you wonder if it could backfire and they'll get the already frustrated fans on their back from the start.

bonothom

Why do people keep repeating this utter drivel
Why is it drivel. Wasn't he quoted as saying "I'm at the best club in the world at Barcelona". United just working at one deal at a time. Its pathetic. Incoming new deals for Perreira, Jones and Martial to cap another successful summer transfer window. If ETH had hair he would surely be tearing it out

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I just drop by the bar and listen. I don't know why I do it, because almost nothing I hear is interesting. But I keep coming back. Listening. Cursing under my breath.

Let me share some if the things I've heard:

Barfly 1: I just heard Barca rejected a Utd bid!
Barfly 2: They're desperate. They'll cave in.
Barfly 3: They don't want him!
Barfly 4: Doesn't that mean he's shit?
Barfly 1: Apparently he doesn't even want to come!
Barfly 3: He's another Di Maria!
Barfly 2: Oh not that rubbish again!
Barfly 4: He's shit anyway.
Barfly 1: My mate says we're considering to prepare a bid.
Barfly 4: We're shit! Our rivals have bought a gazillion players already!
Barfly 2: Have some feckin patience will you.

Then they leave and others come in. The exact same conversation happens all over again.

Again. And again.

And yet. Here I am. Listening. Yes. And drinking.
It's because you know it's a done deal... just not announced, because the club needs to prepare the scene, clown uniforms and make sure the media will catch it on their main page, in the right time.

It's all it is. Cheers btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.