Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

choccy77

United signing players at end of window is just pathetic.

You can lose a title or top 4 place between that first game & the one at the window.

No other big club has this constant issue that we have.

it's just pathetic

Withnail

The joke is offering almost 40 millions for a 34 years old with 1 year left of contract.
That is the joke.

I honestly hope we don't sign Lewa. We have more than enough to be in the TOP4 and reducing the wages for another year while some young players keep their development.
Too good for Lewandowski? :lol:

What's this top 4 lark? It's La liga ffs

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
United signing players at end of window is just pathetic.

You can lose a title or top 4 place between that first game & the one at the window.

No other big club has this constant issue that we have.

it's just pathetic
well that's not true

spe88

I'm not sure why everyone is getting their backs up for?

We should be careful with our bids because we have so many positions to rectify after years of reckless spending.

I'd much rather take a bit longer to get a deal over the line and improve 4 positions rather than 3 for instance.

laughtersassassin

Not 0 that's ridiculous but no more than probably 5/6 depending on who else signs
It could easily he a 0 if FDJ was the only good first team signing. Most likely won't happen but it's a possibility m

That'd means we'd have a worst team than last year, hence the 0.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Too good for Lewandowski? :lol:

What's this top 4 lark? It's La liga ffs
A lot of money for a 34 years old player that I don't think will make a big difference in our performance (i don't think we have a chance in champions league and at the same time i don't think we will miss a champions league year without him). I prefer a young player or just save the money for the next year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
- No Spanish-speaking TV channel to follow during the night
- No local newspaper we have never heard off covering the potential transfer
- No English-speaking message board from the rival club with angry fans to quote

Time to move on unless Donny comments 'Tot ziens in Manchester' on FDJ's next Instagram post the coming days.
Someone didn't check El Mercurio.

ShinjiNinja26

If true then the plan to wait until we sign de Jong before moving on to other deals will have to change. We can’t be scrambling around at the end of the window trying to sign 3 or 4 players for different positions. Not to mention a lot of our first choice targets may be snapped up by then.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If true then the plan to wait until we sign de Jong before moving on to other deals will have to change. We can’t be scrambling around at the end of the window trying to sign 3 or 4 players for different positions. Not to mention a lot of our first choice targets may be snapped up by then.
Well we know that United are working on at least two other moves, so the idea that we are waiting for anything is bogus.

Withnail

A lot of money for a 34 years old player that I don't think will make a big difference in our performance (i don't think we have a chance in champions league and at the same time i don't think we will miss a champions league year without him). I prefer a young player or just save the money for the next year.
He's an absolute goal machine. I think he'd definitely improve your performance. If we'd a chance to sign him I'd be all over it. Do Barca even have a proper CF at the moment?

Mmm-Qatarian

I watched the part of Ornstein's interview where he talks about De Jong and he doesn't actually say it is "expected" to be a long saga, he just says it "could" be long and painful due to Barca wanting to squeeze every last cent out of us and United not wanting to be fleeced.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Those posters who 2 or 3 weeks back said this was imminent, never learn do they?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Because we can only field 11 players
Oh yes, I forgot that you’re stacked with class players like McTominay, Fred, and Garner. Even Frenkie might struggle for game time.

The point is you will probably need more than De Jong, and if he’s not that bothered about coming then why not move the f*** on and get someone else in (whether it’s one or two players)?

Giggsyking

I watched the part of Ornstein's interview where he talks about De Jong and he doesn't actually say it is "expected" to be a long saga, he just says it "could" be long and painful due to Barca wanting to squeeze every last cent out of us and United not wanting to be fleeced.
Yes you are right. He said it might be a long and painful process. Did not say expected.

Fooza

They're waiting for this thread to get 400 more pages, get cracking muppets

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
He's an absolute goal machine. I think he'd definitely improve your performance. If we'd a chance to sign him I'd be all over it. Do Barca even have a proper CF at the moment?
He is, he is fantastic, but realistically, would he take us from here to be a champions league candidate? football can change massively in a year but too many things would need to fall in place to reach that level. We have more important things to improve that our main striker. Basically the whole defense system.
On the other side... would we suffer to make it to LaLiga's top 4 to keep playing Champions League? I don't think so...
So... what is really the point? unless they consider that we would sell like not a ton, like 3 tons of shirts and merchandising i don't see the point.
We are generally playing with Auba as a 9. He had good numbers. I would have liked someone like Adeyemi/Nkunku. They should have a decent performance right now and they could be top 9s in like 2-3 years when i think we will be a way better situation both from a sporting and economic perspectives.

ShinjiNinja26

Well we know that United are working on at least two other moves, so the idea that we are waiting for anything is bogus.
I think we’re probably working on numerous deals quietly behind the scenes but barring Eriksen on a free we aren’t planning to pull the trigger until the de Jong deal is wrapped up. Will be interesting to see if this news changes anything, I’m assuming the club would’ve factored this in though and have probably set aside a certain amount for Frenkie and will use whatever’s left for other transfers and will conclude other deals first if they feel this is going to drag on for a long time.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s a game of poker. Personally I think a fee of 85m euros guaranteed with his wages on top is absurd so I’m glad we’re holding our ground. He wouldn’t be due back from holiday for another few weeks anyway so all blinking now will do is shut people up online…for 5 minutes before they start moaning about something else. I guess the other benefit of targeting former players is they’ll all know ETHs system and what he expects from them.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
considering Barca's current finances, they are only allowed to reinvest a fraction of the saved wages into new players. Its possible that the rules for them get relaxed once their investment deal goes through and they end up with positive equity.
Barcelona to be able to sign normally must recover the losses of the last 3 years. If they activate the economic levers, they will be able to do so.

Allegedly Barcelona increased their previous bid by a meager 3 million Euro.
If they continue this way, they won't reach the 50 million Euro Bayern wants before the window closes.

Joke of a club.
If Bayern do that with Ajax or Liverpool, it is that they are great managers and do not throw money away. If Barcelona does that with Bayern or United, it is that they are a joke of a club.
If Barcelona throws away the money it is also a joke of a club.
The important thing is who does it.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Because they would cost a combined amount more than 65m?
Don’t be daft. How much more value have City got from Bernardo and De Bruyne at 60 million-ish (in total) than Barca have got from FDJ? Both on massively lower wages for most of the time.

FDJ has reached his top value and not stood out for the last 3 years. I think he’s a class player but he’s not a good value one. He’s on massive money and doesn’t really want to move so having other options would not be a bad idea, as long as your scouts are good.

Last edited:

ThanksBoss26

Don’t be daft. How much more value have City got from Bernardo and De Bruyne at 60 million-ish than Barca have got from FDJ? Both on massively lower wages for most of the time.

FDJ has reached his top value and not stood out for the last 3 years. I think he’s a class player but he’s not a good value one. He’s on massive money and doesn’t really want to move so having other options would not be a bad idea, as long as your scouts are good.
That last part might be an issue!

Mainoldo

Sounds about right for the dramatic sound Bite.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You'd swear De Jong was the second coming of Christ, Ten Hag managed ok without him last year, and will have to manage with other people if this doesn't work out. This whole 'we have to get him or it's over' nonsense is ridiculous.
Ten Hag did have a midfield of Fred, McTominay and Hannibal last year. It’s painfully obvious our midfield needs strengthening. Stop with the ostrich routine.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Those posters who 2 or 3 weeks back said this was imminent, never learn do they?
Ahh we’ve all been sucked in from time to time. Glorious moment a few days ago when my son (13), full of transfer-window glee, told me excitedly that Timber was definitely about to happen. I mocked his naivety greatly and slowly explained what he was letting himself in for

DON’T PANIC ™

I’m not convinced anything is happening. I think Utd made an enquiry, FDJ said he wasn’t interested and that was that. Ongoing saga is just manufactured by journos for click bait.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I’m not convinced anything is happening. I think Utd made an enquiry, FDJ said he wasn’t interested and that was that. Ongoing saga is just manufactured by journos for click bait.
If that was the case, then both The Athletic and BBC would never be this committed to reporting on De Jong. It would be completely unlike both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.