Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I would think FDJ far from being upset, would be delighted at having Raphina and Lewandowski in the team, no? I’d think that that would pretty much justify the wage cut, if that’s something he’s willing to consider. ‘If you stay, but on a lower salary we have a better chance of making the team significantly stronger’. I think that’s how the issue will be presented, rather than saying it’s a sign of a lack of self respect.
Not sure if this is sarcasm, but yeah, i'm sure he'd be thrilled at seeing two new guys come in on much more money than he's on after being made to take a huge pay cut.
I can imagine he's already thrilled at the prospect

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It isn't far-fetched at all if FDJ accepts a lower salary to stay at Barca.
If he is prepared to do that then we should stay well away in any case.

If he's that desperate to stay there or not to come then it's not the best idea to persue it any further.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not sure if this is sarcasm, but yeah, i'm sure he'd be thrilled at seeing two new guys come in on much more money than he's on after being made to take a huge pay cut.
I can imagine he's already thrilled at the prospect
I hope Mikky is getting in his ear about how poorly they’re treating him and how she’s always loved the Arndale :wenger:

redshaw

What do we think United are offering De Jong per week, I'd assume Pogba's wage of 290-300k?

mu4c_20le

This doesn't feel like negotiating. What kind of tactic is it to let you know the player doesn't want to come? If anything that release is to discourage bids

Woziak

Enough is enough of being a laughing stock in world football. Here’s what a well run efficient club would do to stop this nonsense.

1. Give Barca a 48 hour deadline and tell them this is the final offer
2. Tell Ronaldo we won’t entertain PL teams so his only option is Bayern and we would want Lewandowski in return plus we’ll pay £20M just to wind up Christiano
3. Offer Lewandowski £600k per week and give him a 3+1 year contract which Barcelona can’t offer.
4. Explain to the Glaziers the fans are about to boycott the stadium and that could result in the club being relegated unless they return their dividends and invest £200m in the club immediately, alternatively they can sell the club immediately.
5. Explain to Eriksen you have 48 hours to decide on united or the offer or the offer is withdrawn.
6. Tell Ajax we would like to give you £100m for Timber and Antony and plus you throw in Edwin Van de sar to replace Richard Arnold , then he can recruit his own John Murtourgh replacement.

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

The strategy is win win for Barcelona though isn't it? They put public pressure on De Jong to massively reduce his salary, and he either stays so they get to keep him as well as sign new players, or they sell him without being the bad guys.

It's pretty despicable stuff.

Trex

If he's that desperate to stay there or not to come then it's not the best idea to persue it any further.
Exactly my thinking, if he is that keen to stay at Barca then we didn't loose anything except our time.
It would be good if the current terms offered was leaked so we have an idea whether Barcelona are purely bullshitting.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Yup

You’re not understanding they still have to pay him €40 million regardless :lol:
Why are you assuming I don't understand that?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If he’s willing to accept a pay cut and walk away from €40m, then fair play. But I find it hard to believe that we’ve got this far into a transfer saga without assurances that he’s willing to join.

All this news is being pushed from Barca’s side and I’m still confident that it’s just posturing to eventually say ‘we did all we could’

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Maybe Barca should go one better and ask FDJ to pay Barca to play

mu4c_20le

An obvious tried and tested Barcelona tactic.
The strategy is win win for Barcelona though isn't it? They put public pressure on De Jong to massively reduce his salary, and he either stays so they get to keep him as well as sign new players, or they sell him without being the bad guys.

It's pretty despicable stuff.
Taking advantage of their attraction to the fullest. Mes que un club.

phelans shorts

Enough is enough of being a laughing stock in world football. Here’s what a well run efficient club would do to stop this nonsense.

1. Give Barca a 48 hour deadline and te them this is the final offer
2. Tell Ronaldo we won’t entertain PL teams so his only option is Bayern and we would want Lewandowski in return plus we’ll pay £20M just to wind up Christiano
3. Offer Lewandowski £600k per week and give him a 3+1 year contract which Barcelona can’t offer.
4. Explain to the Glaziers the fans are about to boycott the stadium and that could result in the club being relegated unless they return their dividends and invest £200m in the club immediately, alternatively they can sell the club immediately.
5. Explain to Eriksen you have 48 hours to decide on united or the offer is withdrawn
6. Tell Ajax we would like to give you £100m for Timber and Antony and ps throw in Edwin Van de sar to replace Richard Arnold , then he can recruit his own John Murtourgh replacement.
A well run club would do none of these things. Especially number 4 which makes literally zero sense from the point of view of the club.

Hope that helps.

Laurencio

Did you read the original tweet? It's fan-fiction.

It basically says; He does not want to talk to any club that isn't Barca. He is very grateful for the statements by the president. He is ready to lower his wage demands so that he can stay. Today they are much closer to a deal than before.

I am sure he is very grateful that Laporta said he will do everything in order to keep him, but he still needs to a accept a considerably lower wage or they will force him to deal with us.

I know I'd be chuffed if my boss told me he'd do everything to get me to stay and in the same breath told me to accept a shitty deal or I'd be out the door.

Adamsk7

The thing that gives me the most hope here is there is no way they ask their existing players to take a massive pay cut AGAIN and then still bring in Raphinha, Lewa and the other free transfers that are still just waiting in limbo to be registered.
they made that pay deferral with the players knowing they had every intention of moving some of them on so they wouldn’t have to pay it/recoup a transfer fee. It was obvious, there was no wayif they couldn’t afford to pay players that suddenly a year later it’d all be fine. They are literally a sinking ship

Rojofiam

1. Give Barca a 48 hour deadline and te them this is the final offer
5. Explain to Eriksen you have 48 hours to decide on united or the offer is withdrawn
6. Tell Ajax we would like to give you £100m for Timber and Antony and ps throw in Edwin Van de sar to replace Richard Arnold , then he can recruit his own John Murtourgh replacement.
Someone's frustrated :lol: Literally all 6 of these decisions would be idiotic

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

5. Explain to Eriksen you have 48 hours to decide on united or the offer or the offer is withdrawn.
6. Tell Ajax we would like to give you £100m for Timber and Antony and plus you throw in Edwin Van de sar to replace Richard Arnold , then he can recruit his own John Murtourgh replacement.
You ok hun?

RobbieBerns

Say what you want about Romano being a tap in merchant who makes his name off the back of other’s reporting, but if he’s sticking his neck out to say this deal is still on and almost done and that everything else is just noise, you have to take his word. For a man who often uses a lot of words to say very little, he wouldn’t be so bold if he wasn’t sure things were at the finish line.

mu4c_20le

Say what you want about Romano being a tap in merchant who makes his name off the back of other’s reporting, but if he’s sticking his neck out to say this deal is still on and almost done and that everything else is just noise, you have to take his word. For a man who often uses a lot of words to say very little, he wouldn’t be so bold if he wasn’t sure things were at the finish line.
Everyone including Stevie Wonder knows the deal is still on until he signs a new contract.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
If he wasn’t in it for the money he’d have taken a wage cut back then instead of a deferral.

He also only went to Barca over PSG because they paid him more
Yes, but now push has come to shove he sees that the only club in for him is us. He might've weighed up his options and decided to stay at his "dream club" instead. This isn't completely unlikely. C'mon, admit it. I'm all for optimism, but this eventuality is not unthinkable.

Maybe he just doesn't like where United is heading. Even with his favourite manager.

Suv666

It isn't far-fetched at all if FDJ accepts a lower salary to stay at Barca.
If he was then us and Barca would not have been negotiating for the past 2 months.

Its not only us wasting our time, Barca are on the negotiating table as well.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yes, but now push has come to shove he sees that the only club in for him is us. He might've weighed up his options and decided to stay at his "dream club" instead. This isn't completely unlikely. C'mon, admit it. I'm all for optimism, but this eventuality is not unthinkable.

Maybe he just doesn't like where United is heading. Even with his favourite manager.
I'm not saying impossible. I think very unlikely he chooses to walk away from €40 million owed to him. You think people around him would also be happy for him to do that?

Laurencio

Perfectionist Ten Hag has not sent us to go after de Jong without being 100% certain he would come.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Love this thread....

4 or 5 positive tweets - Nah it's rubbish, Laporta has said he's not for sale, he's not coming.
1 negative tweet - It's over, close the thread, knew he's never come, he loves Barca too much and would play for free to stay.

Come on guys, absolutely no one has reported that he's willing to accept a lower wage! Barca will deliberately offer something they know he won't take in my opinion
The thing is though, ever since this transfer was first mooted, it has always been reported that he isn't exactly champing at the bit to leave Barca for United. This has been a pretty consistent theme. Now plenty of players leave clubs for various reasons even when they don't want to, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he would be willing to accept a slightly lower wage if it meant he could stay. And let's be honest, the negativity from fans may be tiring, but it is warranted in this context. We've been disastrous in the transfer market for about a decade now.

youmeletsfly

I don't know if your post is sarcasm, but I'll translate it in short, for the average poster:

1. feck up your most important transfer target.
2. feck up arguably your best player and wind him up, so he can down tools if you can't sell him
3. feck up our wage structure for a player who said in public he will not train and bitched about leaving for about 2 months.
4. So the club should explain shit to the owners?
5. feck up another important transfer target that would give us depth in several positions on the field.
6. So basically feck all the other targets and get Timber and Antony, then cry one year later they didn't work out?

Status
Not open for further replies.