Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I would massively prefer FDJ.

But I do rate Rice. He’s a very good no6 and a good no8. And he’s going to keep getting better. He’s too similar to Casemiro and the balance of the team would be off if they played together. If he stays at West Ham, I could see us signing him to replace Casemiro in three years but he’s not what we need now.
He's not a good no 8, not sure why this keeps getting said. A good no 8 is pretty much the heartbeat of most teams, so you most likely won't see one flirting with relegation.

He is a good no. 6 though, but he's also no where near the level of Casemiro and I doubt he'll ever get close. I think he'll be massively over priced when he finally leaves and think Ten Hag could probably pluck someone from the eredivisie for a fraction of what he'll go for. Also looking at the players were highlighting from South America, the same can be said there.

FDJ is going to be a Casemiro type signing. If the opportunity is there, we will 100% spend big and get him. I just don't think the opportunity is going to come.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He's not a good no 8, not sure why this keeps getting said. A good no 8 is pretty much the heartbeat of most teams, so you most likely won't see one flirting with relegation.

He is a good no. 6 though, but he's also no where near the level of Casemiro and I doubt he'll ever get close. I think he'll be massively over priced when he finally leaves and think Ten Hag could probably pluck someone from the eredivisie for a fraction of what he'll go for. Also looking at the players were highlighting from South America, the same can be said there.

FDJ is going to be a Casemiro type signing. If the opportunity is there, we will 100% spend big and get him. I just don't think the opportunity is going to come.
Yeah, i think it's because he is all action, he can play as a "8" and i think he had some great form last season in fairness (though wasn't he playing majorly as a "6" anyway?). Can't say i have watched WHU enough to have a strong opinion anyway, but i have seen the "8" argument regurgitated on here and in the studio analysts showing how good he is/was.

One thing though - even as an "8" in the event WHU got relegated and his price was "decent", he's too similar to Casemiro, to be an effective pairing IMO. He'd need an Alonso/Carrick/Neves type "6" if it ever was to work. Think the Rice ship has sailed with the signing of Casemiro. Chelsea might still look that way with Kante/Kovacic/Jorginho all having some question marks over them.

OrcaFat

Rice being a good no8 keeps getting said. Plenty of people who disagree with you there. He is a good footballer.

Unfortunately, having a good footballer in your team doesn’t guarantee you results. I’m sure you know that. Plenty of good footballers have been relegated with poor teams.

I agree with you about FDJ.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, i think it's because he is all action, he can play as a "8" and i think he had some great form last season in fairness (though wasn't he playing majorly as a "6" anyway?). Can't say i have watched WHU enough to have a strong opinion anyway, but i have seen the "8" argument regurgitated on here and in the studio analysts showing how good he is/was.

One thing though - even as an "8" in the event WHU got relegated and his price was "decent", he's too similar to Casemiro, to be an effective pairing IMO. He'd need an Alonso/Carrick/Neves type "6" if it ever was to work. Think the Rice ship has sailed with the signing of Casemiro. Chelsea might still look that way with Kante/Kovacic/Jorginho all having some question marks over them.
Agreed, Casemiro has in part increased my opinion of Rice and diminished it at the same time. I can see how effective Rice can be in his role and the necessity for his profile in a good team. Like you say though, they need another profile next to them who can actually do the passing forward.

Luckily for us with Casemiro, the lad does both to an extremely high standard. So there is simple no need for us to invest heavily in a player like Rice.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Agreed, Casemiro has in part increased my opinion of Rice and diminished it at the same time. I can see how effective Rice can be in his role and the necessity for his profile in a good team. Like you say though, they need another profile next to them who can actually do the passing forward.

Luckily for us with Casemiro, the lad does both to an extremely high standard. So there is simple no need for us to invest heavily in a player like Rice.
Love the guy to bits yeah :drool: right mentality/attitude and the world class ability to go with it. Shows how I underrated him in Madrid's squad for the 3-peat.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
4-5 months ago it was €200M+, now between 150-200M.
Barcelona will lower the wage bill by just over €100 I think.

- Piqué and Busquets €45M
-
Depay €12M
- Griezzman y Pjanic amortization €35M
- Neto amortization €8M
And it remains to be seen Alba, Kessie, Trincao, Lenglet, S. Dest, S. Roberto, Umtiti and some surprises.

Last edited:

Darlington Padgett

Hopefully we won't waste our time chasing him all summer while the rest of the teams get players like Enzo or Bellingham.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not this shit again. :houllier:
Yes please. Sure, he doesn't want to come. He would consider it a downward step. Barca are cnuts. But I still want him. One of the few who would be ideal next to Casemiro.

Bwuk

Him & Casemiro would be the best midfield 2 in football.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What will be the new bullshit jargon Barcelona use for "we're selling off our assets like a junkie selling furniture for their next bag of smack"? Can't use "levers" anymore...

Knob tugs? Wank pulls?

croadyman

Him & Casemiro would be the best midfield 2 in football.
Yeah think they would be,however convinced there is nothing more Erik can say to persuade him. We could KO Barca from Europa and finish top 4 but still he won't want to leave.

Zetrio2002

Looks unsellable now compared to last summer
Well, if Barca needs money and FDJ wants to move, I don't see why not. FDJ gets a portion of the transfer money. The transfer can increase his net worth by 50% or maybe even more.

Jericholyte2

I’m starting to think I’d prefer Rice to be the partner for Casemiro.

Having seen what can happen with Eriksen’s lightweight presence, and admittedly knowing nothing about FDJ’s physicality I’d prefer to have to units in CM to protect the back line more and give the forwards more freedom.

Then when Casemiro goes forward Rice can sit and likewise the other way around.

Mmm-Qatarian

I mean I maintain that De Jong would be the perfect midfield signing for us but if we couldn't get him to leave Barca last summer I don't see how we're going to manage to do it this summer, and I say this as someone who was fully on board the Muppet train.

Unless Barca are still in a massive financial mess this summer, I don't see this happening.

Red_Heisenberg

Having seen what can happen with Eriksen’s lightweight presence, and admittedly knowing nothing about FDJ’s physicality I’d prefer to have to units in CM to protect the back line more and give the forwards more freedom.

Hard pass from me. We need a midfielder who can break the lines either through passing or dribbling. Rice is so painfully limited when it comes to moving the ball forward.

Mmm-Qatarian

Honestly I think Rice would just be a very expensive and less good (albeit much younger) version of Casemiro. I don't think he's what we should be after this summer.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I mean I maintain that De Jong would be the perfect midfield signing for us but if we couldn't get him to leave Barca last summer I don't see how we're going to manage to do it this summer, and I say this as someone who was fully on board the Muppet train.

Unless Barca are still in a massive financial mess this summer, I don't see this happening.
I think they’re in a bigger shit this year actually :lol:

They spent all that money for a long CL campaign only to get dumped out in the group stages.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

No way. We need a player who can help progress the ball from defence bypassing the press. Basically a version of Kroos. Rice isn't that player and would be an expensive mistake to spend 100m.

Hope we wait for the right player than just buying for the sake of it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Id love rice here, him with some of ten hags coaching would be insane.
Some really dont rate him because they dont rate the way he plays, but for me he is the only reason southgate looks to have done goodish in tournaments.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Awful idea. The main problem the midfielder we sign needs to address above all else is our inability to keep and progress possession under pressure as much as ETH wants, because we still struggle with that as a team relative to other top sides in the league and the manager's previous team. The player to address that isn't Declan Rice.

A Rice/Casemiro pairing might be less "lightweight" but it would also be incapable of playing the type of football ETH is trying to get this team to play. The latter being an obviously more fundamental problem. There's a reason Madrid paired Casemiro with Modric and Kroos, not "units".

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I think they’re in a bigger shit this year actually :lol:

They spent all that money for a long CL campaign only to get dumped out in the group stages.
Quite the opposite. With the levers the club is better off economically. The debt is restructured for 10 years and next year the wage bill will fall significantly.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

This part is not insignificant to be fair.

De Jong is far more defensively competent than Eriksen and has enough physical attributes to do the job.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He’s just not that into you.

hobbers

Thread should probably be locked down from May until September, save the embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.