Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Like I've said before, we seem to be the only club that gets sucked into these long, drawn out transfer sagas I swear. Maybe Madrid do too but that's only when they're trying to break transfer records for superstars.
This isnt true, we just hang on every single tweet and bit of news relevant to us that gives us this illusion.

Dembeza

Like I've said before, we seem to be the only club that gets sucked into these long, drawn out transfer sagas I swear. Maybe Madrid do too but that's only when they're trying to break transfer records for superstars.
City - Kane, Greelish and Ronaldo
Liverpool - Van Dijk
Chelsea - Lukaku
Real - Mbappe

Just to name a few

croadyman

Well well well looks like the next 56 hours will be very interesting.
How I want us to land this signing, however totally agree with people who say we would still need someone to sit behind him.

Tavern in the town

Every set of fans thinks this about their own club. Long sagas are very common.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Its an awful source so just take with huge grain of salt.

One of the kids who was in the CE of Barça this morning tells us that Frenkie has given away 5 pairs of boots and 3 shirts among fans.

He has told them that he wanted to say goodbye to all those who are there every day

live

twitch.tv/gerardromero

Mr PG

De Jong is a good player but not a good deal for us. Not worth £60-£70m when there’s so many cheaper midfielders we can get even if it means paying sign-on bonus. I’m not wholly opposed to it if EYH wants him that bad but we need to improve many areas as well.

I said same thing about Sancho when folks were like… just pay the money(£110m).

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
De Jong is a good player but not a good deal for us. Not worth £60-£70m when there’s so many cheaper midfielders we can get even if it means paying sign-on bonus. I’m not wholly opposed to it if EYH wants him that bad but we need to improve many areas as well.

He would be exactly the player you guys need imo. I cant name a better player to improve your squad immidiately and dramatically.
Who do you have in mind midfielder wise?

Wing Attack Plan R

At the point where rubber hits the road, we need players. Being thrifty shoppers will have us mid table forever. Maybe Sancho was over priced (I agree he was) but if we had bought him a season earlier, who knows how things could have happened. Same with Bellingham, Kante, Cancelo. We would undeniably be a better team if we had bought even Maddison when we were talking about it 2 or 3 years ago. Or pony boy Grealish. Or Rice now. Tielemans, the list goes on. Our owners are billionaires who out nothing into the club. Time for those feckers to realize the fight they are in. Penny-pinching and bargain hunting will help but it will never get us back to the top.

Mr PG

He would be exactly the player you guys need imo. I cant name a better player to improve your squad immidiately and dramatically.
Fabian Ruiz from Napoli

Mr PG

Do you watch De Jong regularly? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Thoms

Supports
Ajax

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

It's not even remotely similar to Sancho case. Sancho was only 20 and he was still a kid. There were many options we could have signed if Sancho wasn't coming. He was quoted 100 +.

FDJ is one of the unique players whom we need , whom our manager trust, who is just in his peak and available for 60-70m which would be a steal when you consider the impact and improvement he can bring to us.

Fabian Ruiz isn't at FDJ level. Come on now.

Bojan Djordjic

I have watched every FdJ game since Ajax/Barca and the NT. He doesn’t have a lot of weaknesses in my honest opinion.

I think the kid is brilliant and one of the best midfielders in the world.

In my opinion his weakness is shooting at the goal. He doesn’t do it very often (also not his position).

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-frenkie-de-jong/
Are you sure? I'm almost sure I saw something the other day that shows he's got the highest goals per shot in the top five leagues.

""

Last edited:

bosskeano

Do what? Not a good deal for us? you're not going to find a top flight young CM for less than 60m and this kid is bloody damn good

can't think of many CM's that would help transform this group like FDJ might especially with Tchouameni looking Madrid/Liverpool bound

jesperjaap

Bit early to judge whether Sancho was a poor deal or not. I think the price was definately above his value though but I am still expectant of him to become a big player here and dotn have that faith in many currently in our squad.

I dont agree on DeJOng. He is one of the best midfielders in the world and approachign his peak at 24. I think £50-70m is probably the right price for him. The downsides of that are how it effects the rest of our transfer budget....also as others seem to be suggesting, it massively improves a problem area....but its a problem area we have lots of options in, even with our probably outgoings....the only problem is none of them are very good or are very young Garner, Hannibal, McTominay, VDB, Fred would probably be all in the same position, so we still massively need a defensive midfielder alongside him....maybe even two options, Kamara on a free alongside him would make sense.

I am kind of against the transfer as not sure how much he wants to be here and though I think the cost is pretty fair it does effect what else we can do if budget is as rumoured.

I sitll think we need 6/7 which we cant do spending £60m on one player....but significantly cheaper options to play the defensive playmaking role, maonly seem to be unproven youngsters Enzo Fernandez as an example....we do already have Hannibal and even Garner so maybe a big signing is what is needed

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Atleast we're known for getting deals over the line very quick, and not wait for the last days of the window, so this'll be done within days!

Redlyn

Are you sure? I'm almost sure I saw something the other day that shows he's got the highest goals per shot in the top five leagues.

""
That may be true but high conversion rate is not that meaningful if you hardly ever shoot.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
I don’t think they’re worried about being hypocrites, I think they’re worried no one will watch La Liga next year because all the best players left

They cant change rules to benefit big club. Otherwise they will be called hypocrites.
Tebas (president of LaLiga) told last year that Messi couldn't renew his contract, that it was very complicated for Barça to inscribe any player. He has said this very week that we cannot sign Lewa, etc. He has been extremely harsh with Barça and it means the league is less strong.
FFP has been applied to Barça with 0 mercy (most of the losses are derived from Covid) for the last 2 years even if it meant to lose Messi, etc. And yeah, it is how it needs to be. You are on board with City/PSG doing anything they want and it is fine, it is no my mental process.

So yeah... Spanish League is actually the only one that is implementing FFP (which is, by the way, the most limitating of the big leagues).

By the way, I doubt anyone would stop watching LaLiga if Frenkie leaves Barça.

didz

""
Highest xG per shot just means that he's only ever shooting from high quality shooting positions. That, and/or his movement is getting him into really good shooting positions. It says absolutely nothing about what he does in those positions.

Bojan Djordjic

That may be true but high conversion rate is not that meaningful if you hardly ever shoot.
I think I misread the comment as him saying that his shooting itself was weak. I still don't really think it's a weakness. He's a deep lying midfielder who is judicious in his shot selection. Don't see it being an issue. We already have one midfielder who spams shots from every possible distance and unlikely angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.