Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I’m not saying that, every reliable reporter and news outlet have said it. Your second part isn’t true either that if he isn’t interested then he won’t be coming. I assume you have been watching football for many years so you would know that this is very common. A player not interested in joining initially can be persuaded or convinced by the coach or by the club to join them. I would be very surprised if you don’t know that.

The fee does have relevance on de Jong’s interest in joining us. It weakens our hand compared to de Jong desperate to leave Barca and sign for us. Your point about Barca desperately want to sell doesn’t hold that much ground either. If they were that desperate they would have sold him by now. If that desperate you know. The reality is they are still working their way around their finances to sort out this whole mess. If they can’t then they would sell de Jong but not for peanuts as you are thinking.

And no body is paying £70m ? Either you think 70m is a lot or you think de Jong is a piss poor player not deserving that amount of money. 70m is nothing for a club like psg and for most of top clubs. It might not even be 70m tbh. Could be 65 or even 60 but not less than that. You say it won’t be 70m but you didn’t tell how much he would go for in your opinion ? As you are so sure what do you think his selling price would be ?
1) De Jong isn’t going to join a club he doesn’t want to join. See Dembele in January. He doesn’t have to leave. 2) Barcelona are desperate to sell. 3) The Fee has zero relevance to this situation in making him more likely to join us. He will decide where he wants to go. 4) You’ve literally just said 70m quid and wages over 250k a week plus whatever agent fees is nothing. It’s a huge investment. You’re talking out of your bollocks. Let’s just end this debate now.

Kaushal

1) De Jong isn’t going to join a club he doesn’t want to join. See Dembele in January. He doesn’t have to leave. 2) Barcelona are desperate to sell. 3) The Fee has zero relevance to this situation in making him more likely to join us. He will decide where he wants to go. 4) You’ve literally just said 70m quid and wages over 250k a week plus whatever agent fees is nothing. It’s a huge investment. You’re talking out of your bollocks. Let’s just end this debate now.
You seem like you are incapable of discussing anything without throwing insults needlessly. Jeez. Anyways, let’s agree to disagree then. But once again, let me ask you what do you think the fee would be if de Jong moves on as you seem to be so sure of dismissing the 70m price ? Would you answer this time or you gonna intentionally ignore again ? I’m asking repeatedly ever since the discussion began as I was genuinely interested to know your point of view regarding the price but you keep telling it won’t be this it won’t be that yet not manage to say somehow how much you think it can be ? Bloody hell.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You seem like you are incapable of discussing anything without throwing insults needlessly. Jeez. Anyways, let’s agree to disagree then. But once again, let me ask you what do you think the fee would be if de Jong moves on as you seem to be so sure of dismissing the 70m price ? Would you answer this time or you gonna intentionally ignore again ? I’m asking repeatedly ever since the discussion began as I was genuinely interested to know your point of view regarding the price but you keep telling it won’t be this it won’t be that yet not manage to say somehow how much you think it can be ? Bloody hell.
I haven’t insulted you - I said you’re talking bollocks when you say 70m plus the wages we’re talking about is nothing. It quite obviously isn’t nothing. It’s a massive investment. I haven’t got a scooby what he will go for or if he’s even going to leave - nobody is paying £70m for him though with his wages and Barca’s situation. I’d be astounded if we pay more than £55m for any player this summer with the amount of players required.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
My hope was/is:

De Jong (Fred) - New #8 (Garner)

but reports are that McTominay is in Ten Hag's plans, so who knows.
Well of course he is. Nothing was ever going to change.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I dont know if you have talked about this, but who do you pair him with? Fred? Or would we need a Neves too?
Personally, I think we need another CM to partner him. I don't think we have anyone who fits the bill myself. He has to be composed in possession, disciplined positionally and versatile enough to drop deep when Frenkie ventures forwards (usually due to dribbling with the ball rather than off the ball movement) and venture forwards himself when Frenkie is dictating from deep.

Out of our current options, yes, I'd say Fred is the best fit. I just think that he's better at pressing ahead of a sitter (as Frenkie prefers to press than sit himself) than sitting and remaining positionally disciplined. I think we may end up being too easy to play through as a result. Then again, ten Hag converted Schone into said player so I wouldn't write it off. I'm very curious as to what he has planned if we land de Jong.

I've never been keen on Neves myself. Too immobile and weak under pressure for me. If Kanté were a few years younger, or Rice was like a £100m cheaper, I'd be on board with those links.

Donut

Make the switch Frankie, they don’t want you there and we’re not that bad. Don’t be a clingy girlfriend.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s all down to de jong then… Barca want to sell, we want to buy but does de jong want to join. Really hope we get this over the line for a reasonable price.. he’s the type of midfielder to transform our midfield all together.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
It’s all down to de jong then… Barca want to sell, we want to buy but does de jong want to join. Really hope we get this over the line for a reasonable price.. he’s the type of midfielder to transform our midfield all together.
Seems like momentum is building. Was pretty pessimistic about this happening just a couple of days ago, but things are definitely happening now. Could see some big breaking news happening in the next couple of days.

Rake

It almost feels like he has some clause in his contract which will make Barcelona pay him a hefty sum if they officially transfer list him, so they are trying to do everything but actually say that he is for sale.

crossy1686

career ending
It almost feels like he has some clause in his contract which will make Barcelona pay him a hefty sum if they officially transfer list him, so they are trying to do everything but actually say that he is for sale.
Surely allowing us to speak to him after agreeing a fee would trigger that, not someone speaking out in the press. It’s more likely they’re trying to save face with their own fans.

Ted Lasso

1) De Jong isn’t going to join a club he doesn’t want to join. See Dembele in January. He doesn’t have to leave.
I never rule anything out. People are people, which means circumstances change and so do their desires and willingness to do or accept certain things. Wasn't that the case w Suarez? AND Messi?

As an aside I'm reminded of the case of Robinho who thought he joined United and never left after realizing.

Charles Miller

His problems at Barça are the tactics. In the past their inside-midfielders(Xavi and Iniesta) would play deeper, close to Busquets position, receiving the ball all the time and controling the tempo. That role would suit FDJ very well. But know is different. Busquets remains the central figure, but the other two midfielders need to start higher in the pitch, and perform more offensive actions. Because the full backs many times will occupy that empty space in the middle. In other words, they expect him to be more involved in attack.

It was the same problem with Arthur Melo. Of course FDJ is more talented and maybe could learn how to fit in that style.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I so wanted to watch it, but stopped after about 3 minutes.
Bushkets and Javi :lol: sorry, the analysis is good though, just couldn't take the way he pronounced some players names.
Isnt he a south African who sounds like he moved over to the UK a while ago? Thus the strange accent combo and pronunciation.

At any rate, based on that video analysis, I can see how United fans --- in six months time -- will be wondering why ETH bought him. He isn't some assist superstar nor is he one who goes box2box or some flashy attacking genius. EPL fans always like grafters.

And United fans will be wondering (and be disappointed) why we blew most of the transfer budget on someone who does really 'nothing' in like 2023.
''The enigma that is Frenkie De Jong.''
''ETH is a fraudster -- just wasted 70million on a person who isn't much better than McTom.''
Dutch Cleverley.
Lazy slouth!

Frenkie will be the chasm or the litmus test of those who watch football and those who professionally work in football esp coaching going forward.

Last edited:

TOKUGAWA-X

I would love to have him at United but i think he was touched, feels attached to Barca already and wants to succeed there.

United must avoid players with that sentiment, for example Dimaria. He didnt want to come here.

croadyman

Kinda feel like this signing could make or break ETH’s first season. What other midfielders of this class could we realistically get? Honestly can’t think of any, and if there are they’ll be very hard to get
Yeah this signing is so key because could lead to more top players interested in joining

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Can’t see this one happening.
A case of needs meeting demand.

I think it will happen:

1. There is a relationship between the two so there is trust.
2. Barca is open to selling Frenkie -- so he must know that he ain't their top dog there and isn't indispensable. That's never a good feeling for a player that the shoe could fall off anytime. If may not this summer, maybe next ... but this summer at least he trusts who he will be playing for.
3. ETH sees him as the building block or foundational player for the way he wants United should play going forward. He needs to put the pieces together but needs to start with his base. It may blow the budget but then if he is that critical, he will have to make his priorities and get other pieces next summer.
4. United's management knows Barca desperately need the money to bring in Lewandowski to form that vaunted Dad's Army Twin striking force with Abba. And being the 1st ETH window, and a new management approach, they cant not support ETH.

It will be ETH's decision to pull the plug and not his bosses. He will need to decide how much that cost will be at the sacrifice of not getting other needs, this summer.

croadyman

That is a good bet, the best he will have. He has no alternative either. We and ETH equally are desperate for De Jong. He would be our best transfer since RvP quite easily, probably even better. The impact he could have for us is enormous. Definitely a player worthy to build you team around piece by piece.
Yeah Verratti has always been my dream CM signing, however this would be pretty damn close in quality but still not believing

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is he world class? £68m + massive wages for a guy who isn't world class just seems mental to me. There were lots of CMs available this summer, if this were the only deal we made for one I wouldn't be very excited.
Frenkie De Jong absolutely has world class talent, and a skill set that only really Modric and Verratti have in world football. He hasn't been used properly by Barca the past few years, but he has still played really well for them (moreso before last season), but in a different role. For Netherlands, he is world class without a doubt, and he was quailty for Ajax though a young player. It's one of those that if he came here and Ten Hag used him like he used him before, then he would instantly be up there with Thiago and De Bruyne as the best midfielders in the league. Without a doubt in my mind. And unlike Pogba... he is actually suited to being a deep lying playmaker.

Highfather_24

Proper player, but unconventional. Not really a #6 or a traditional B2B midfielder, or creative midfielder. Nor is he a DLP like old Scholes/Kroos/Jorginho.

He likes to take the ball from the defence, and carry it forward using his brilliant dribbling and body feints. He is the link player between defence and attack, and needs to have a #6 next to him who can protect and shield the defence. ETH once said he had to use "two #6s" to ensure to get the best out of De Jong. Netherlands do that, and so did Ajax. But Barca dont, and their play goes through Busquets.

ETH built his team around Frenkie De Jong at Ajax. I'm quite sure he will do the same at United.

Highfather_24

Frenkie De Jong absolutely has world class talent, and a skill set that only really Modric and Verratti have in world football.
I agree. Although Modric is more of a creator, and Veratti's passing range is better I feel. FDJ's ball carrying ability is probably better than both.

Bellingham is also one to look out for.

choccy77

Are the New United still begging him to come to us?

Glad things have changed & we have learnt our lesson ..........

Giggsyking

How are we going to offer him more than his current 350k /week salay? I think this is the problem. Barcelona want to cut on player salaries, he has 3 option, satying at Barcelona on current salay and facing rage from the board, or accepts salary cut, or join united with a bit lower salary but still good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.