Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It appears that news of Richie Arnold's £200m has filtered its way to Barcelona.

Yes, I know he didn’t say that, but that’s whats been widely reported.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
What this threads needs more of are comparisons to Di Maria, a quip that ends up with calling the club Something FC, or any variation of joke around us preparing to prepare a bid. Those are always hilarious.
I tend to agree. A wholly subjective debate about the relative merits of his height would also be welcome.

dal

Paying more than £65 million including addons feels too much.

Drag it out, they will buckle, if city buy him, thats life.

El Presidente

It appears that news of Richie Arnold's £200m has filtered its way to Barcelona.

Yes, I know he didn’t say that, but that’s whats been widely reported.
So a random twitter guy quotes a 200m figure (when we've never spent anything close to that) and Laporta will be like "yup, imma trust this one with everything i've got". Seems legit.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Offer them the €100m but put it on two contracts. €65m on one with the Catalan flag on it, get them to sign it. Then hand them over the other one for an additional €35m on it. But for this one replace the Catalan flag with the Spanish one. They will refuse to sign it! Additional money doesn't get paid, jumpers for goalposts. Done dealio.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Offer them the €100m but put it on two contracts. €65m on one with the Catalan flag on it, get them to sign it. Then hand them over the other one for an additional €35m on it. But for this one replace the Catalan flag with the Spanish one. They will refuse to sign it! Additional money doesn't get paid, jumpers for goalposts. Done dealio.
You really overestimate their commitment to the cause!

Rolaholic

With PSG about to sign 2 Portuguese midfielders and Bayern likely adsing Laimer, they're just about out of potential suitors...

Gazza

Romano saying Barcelona are adamant that Richard Arnold buys their negotiating team AT LEAST two rounds at his local before doing a deal for FDJ

GreatDane

Catalans hate @Mr Pigeon for this sneaky trick.
Follow and subscribe for how to save millions.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

With PSG about to sign 2 Portuguese midfielders and Bayern likely adsing Laimer, they're just about out of potential suitors...
It's clear he fits a system that everyone either has a player for or would have to buy more players to fit him in.

We're the obvious candidate with the ex manager, a gaping quality hole in midfield and can afford his fee and wages. If Barcelona stick to their 100m line, this deal won't be done and will likely put the rest of their potential deals in jeopardy.

Mainoldo

It's clear he fits a system that everyone either has a player for or would have to buy more players to fit him in.

We're the obvious candidate with the ex manager, a gaping quality hole in midfield and can afford his fee and wages. If Barcelona stick to their 100m line, this deal won't be done and will likely put the rest of their potential deals in jeopardy.
If they can’t sell him which they can’t. They won’t be able to do any business. So sucks for them. We are being nice. Try that shite with Bayern Munich.

mu4c_20le

Romano saying Barcelona are adamant that Richard Arnold buys their negotiating team AT LEAST two rounds at his local before doing a deal for FDJ
Makes sense, looking at our signings in the past decade.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If they can’t sell him which they can’t. They won’t be able to do any business. So sucks for them. We are being nice. Try that shite with Bayern Munich.
It's desperate really, trying to get us to solve their money issues.

For once, it does actually look like they've done the right thing in our negotiations.

PoTMS

Why would Guardiola not want De Jong? Would he not be a really good fit at City?

izec

Why would Guardiola not want De Jong? Would he not be a really good fit at City?
Rodri is better suited to their formation and just came off a fabulous season. They want a Fernandinho replacement, and are looking at Kalvin Phillips. They would need to adjust for FDJ. I dont think City want to spend 80m and 350k a week for that, when they want a different profile and need to replace Mendy and Sterling in addition probably. While they have money, they mostly use it well recently.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I still expect it to be 70million+15million euros in the end. They aren't getting the 100mil they are posturing for.

I think if it ends up between £68mil - £73mil, all in, then I think we have had a result.

Giggsy13

It’s amazing that barca with all their history have evolved into the most detestable and scummy club in Spain. Quite the feat when you’re with Real Madrid.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
How bad a journalist is Llorens that he missed the Twitter storm from that video before writing this?

I'm going to go out on a limb and call the CEO Tier 1 and this chap just rumor mill
It's not that he's ignoring it; he's just offering Barcelona's perspective here. Note that no other reliable Barcelona journalist has anything new to offer. The only other reliable journalist that's been covering the updates in recent days was Ferran Martínez, and he hasn't even conveyed his own info at any point. At this moment, we won't expect any updates from Barcelona on Frenkie De Jong until Barcelona either accept or reject our latest offer.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
The press seem to be in a holding state of it taking some time, realistically they have no idea what’s going on the most reliable source we have is Arnold saying we are in Barca negotiating, no idea what takes so long, but that’s it. I imagine it will take most of the week to get anywher, I’m not convinced it’s close.

croadyman

This is so on.

I hope we get it over the line this week so we can move onto other targets.
Yeah confident things will pick up pace once our priority target is sorted, still concerned about what are the other positions in the eyes of this club.

Ted Lasso

It's not that he's ignoring it; he's just offering Barcelona's perspective here. Note that no other reliable Barcelona journalist has anything new to offer. The only other reliable journalist that's been covering the updates in recent days was Ferran Martínez, and he hasn't even conveyed his own info at any point. At this moment, we won't expect any updates from Barcelona on Frenkie De Jong until Barcelona either accept or reject our latest offer.
It's hard to reconcile for me. He's saying there's no official communication between clubs and then stating a past and present on De Jong's opinion of leaving Barca to join United.

It's falling into the trend of reporting I'm seeing across genres, not just sport - offer half truths or withhold certain information and phrase things in a way to create a reaction. It's not reporting it's seeking impressions which is likely a big part of the compensation structure nowadays.

There's really no reason for that particular tweet at this stage aside from creating the back and forth we are having ourselves.

Wing Attack Plan R

It’s amazing that barca with all their history have evolved into the most detestable and scummy club in Spain. Quite the feat when you’re with Real Madrid.
They're like ancient Athens, who thought they were the light unto the world, and well they fell, everyone rejoiced. I took a coaching clinic from La Masia coaches, and their belief that everything Barcelona did was without rival extended to things as mundane as cooking meals.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's hard to reconcile for me. He's saying there's no official communication between clubs and then stating a past and present on De Jong's opinion of leaving Barca to join United.

It's falling into the trend of reporting I'm seeing across genres, not just sport - offer half truths or withhold certain information and phrase things in a way to create a reaction. It's not reporting it's seeking impressions which is likely a big part of the compensation structure nowadays.

There's really no reason for that particular tweet at this stage aside from creating the back and forth we are having ourselves.
On the bolded part, he is right; we have yet to submit a formal offer to Barcelona. We've just been sending out feelers to them to get an idea of what will work and what won't just like many of the other clubs around us.

On the rest, you can blame ESPN for that. They decided to hold this segment and have Moisés Llorens involved when he hasn't written a new article about De Jong in a while.

In the grand scheme of things, a transfer this massive is obviously going to have lots of tiny updates associated with it every day from somewhat speculative journalists/outlets to go with the major milestone updates from the more reliable ones.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The press seem to be in a holding state of it taking some time, realistically they have no idea what’s going on the most reliable source we have is Arnold saying we are in Barca negotiating, no idea what takes so long, but that’s it. I imagine it will take most of the week to get anywher, I’m not convinced it’s close.
The fact that there are no real sources or news for this stage of the negotiation is a good thing. It means it's at the serious end of the process.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

That's what the roles of the intermediaries are for. The clubs don't need to officially engage formally until you get down to the final details, and before signing. Its an iterative spiral initially by the intermediaries or agents -- and then there is a cross-over point to discussions/negotiations between the clubs.

Nothing new here to see.

Himannv

These are mainly tasks of the pre sales process. Once a bid had been submitted all these points have been clarified already.

You don't have to revisit all these points again before submitting a second bit. They don't change. Only the transfer fee and maybe the triggers to pay the variables need to be adjusted. Should be done in hours rather than days.
I think you'd need reviews from legal and finance teams + approvals, because it doesn't quite work like a project submission. With transfers, a new bid is a difference of millions so they will go through the same set of processes and approvals. There are things like league approvals that have to happen as well for the bid to be approved - Barca for example are stuck at that phase because some of their bids currently don't have league approval although there is agreement with the clubs and players. Perhaps documentation is easier as they could reuse what they had for older bids, but everything else has to go through the same channels again AFAIK.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
This is so on.

I hope we get it over the line this week so we can move onto other targets.
Honestly I wish this drags on till the deadline day. Can't get excited about the prospect of another drawn out 6 week long saga.
White text

Himannv

They have comparable players for the positions he might play (with more proven success). Barca are also signing a better player to replace him if he leaves. So it's only United for him at the moment, which should ideally make the deal easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.