Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySmith1990

Yes.

The new owner needs a good window and a statement signing. He's already been beaten to Rafinha and kounde.
A good window would be strengthening positions they are weak in, not doing a Woodward and making an expensive signing for the attention

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If I'm not mistaking there was a back and forth about who had to pay it between we and Juve. How was it resolved? Are you sure we didn't pay it? I thought we did.
The contract was between Pogba’s club and his agent. We paid the fee for the player. No doubt we paid an agent fee but the % of the transfer fee was paid by Juve to Riola.

Mmm-Qatarian

Which is why i honestly believe the interest is fabricated by Barca.

I truly do believe that Chelsea WERE interested at one point, but when United upped their fixed bid and agreed a new structure, they thought nah, not interested anymore. Barca are now saying de Jong prefers Chelsea and London to try and get them interested again. The simple truth is, we have no idea where he prefers because de Jong hasn't said a word to anyone in the media for over a month now.

I also think that Barca know which people are leaking stuff to the press so they'll feed them stuff that they want getting out in regards to this transfer too.
Honestly not entirely sure what I think De Jong wants at this point, beyond ideally staying at Barca and for everything to go back to normal which is not going to happen. My guess would be that he'd prefer to be playing in the Champions League but perhaps not at the expense of the wage difference between what we're reportedly offering (450k) and what I suspect Chelsea would be willing to offer (closer to 300k).

I don't think anything will be 100% clear until the deferred payment issue is resolved one way or another.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
A good window would be strengthening positions they are weak in, not doing a Woodward and making an expensive signing for the attention
Especially an unneeded signing that woukdn't even excite the fans. It's not like Chelsea fans are excited over the links to de Jong are they?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Didn't we basically pull out of signing Nunez? Or did we even get serious about it?
I don't think we ever bid/went in formally, but I imagine that was in part due to what Liverpool was willing to spend/indication given from the player's camp on preferences. Think he was definitely on ETH's list though.

Green Arrow

Honestly not entirely sure what I think De Jong wants at this point, beyond ideally staying at Barca and for everything to go back to normal which is not going to happen. My guess would be that he'd prefer to be playing in the Champions League but perhaps not at the expense of the wage difference between what we're reportedly offering (450k) and what I suspect Chelsea would be willing to offer (closer to 300k).

I don't think anything will be 100% clear until the deferred payment issue is resolved one way or another.
I also think this too once that is resolved then he will make it clear he either wants to stay at Barca at reduced wages, move to Utd or if true move to Chelsea.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

I agree.

The thing is, Champions League is a season by season thing. Theres no guarantee that Chelsea will be in it next season, whereas there is no guarantee that we won't be in it next season. The wage issue is different though. We can offer him a higher wage than Chelsea, but it depends on what he prefers more. The chance of winning things, realistically, is pretty similar between both clubs. It just boils down to what would the player prefer? As you say he wants to stay ideally, but that won't happen. I don't see Chelsea even making a bid because they know they can't match us in terms of transfer fee/wages, and i don't think de Jong would kick up a fuss to go to Chelsea either

cyberman

The contract was between Pogba’s club and his agent. We paid the fee for the player. No doubt we paid an agent fee but the % of the transfer fee was paid by Juve to Riola.
Wasn’t the contract leaked? If I remember Juve paid all of the fees and even for Pogbas house in Manchester

DavelinaJolie

And you don't think they'll try to get them to pen a new deal?

If they weren't going too, you'd imagine that they'd be linked with moves away from the club by now. (unless they have been, i've not followed)
I don't think they try to retain an injury prone 32 year old (next season) Kante, no. Or maybe they try to work out a new contract in the season when they are unable to get a replacement in?

I know that Utd have been keen to renew contracts to "protect value" but I don't think a lot of clubs operate in that way.

BarstoolProphet

The Chelsea interest has probably been planted by his agent in an attempt at luring Xavi and Laporta to get him stay.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not worried about the Chelsea link at all. Seems dubious and a ploy.

We are still getting him.

evil_geko

If De Jong moves to Chelsea then it will further indicate that how bad both Murtough and Arnold are at the job if not already. There's no coming back from wasting a full transfer window chasing a player only to end up seeing him join a rival.
Why exclusively blame them? What if ETH said get him or no one else on that position? Even ETH himself said we are either getting targets we want, or we will build player for that position from a youngster.

lenny_1248

If Frenkie is not a Manchester United player by the end of this transfer window, I'll drink my own piss.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If De Jong moves to Chelsea then it will further indicate that how bad both Murtough and Arnold are at the job if not already. There's no coming back from wasting a full transfer window chasing a player only to end up seeing him join a rival.
I'm sure there is. I'm sure they won't end it all should FDJ not come here. All other business done sensibly and without any fuss but FDJ not coming here would instantly spell the end of all things, OT will collapse into a pile of rubble and Murtough and Arnold should just resign or jump out of a tenth story window? Eye of the tiger and all that.

Drama :lol:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
We would have to sell about 3 midfielders in order for De Jong to make any sense.

Kova
Jorginho
Kante
Gallagher
RLC
Barkley
Gilmour

If the latter 3 were all moved on then I’d be worried if I were you guys. But there really isn’t any movement being reported with any of those guys because the likes of RLC and Barkley seem perfectly fine riding our bench and collecting their considerable wages.

Also, I suppose one advantage we could have in any De Jong negotiations if we were interested is that we have 2 players they really want that we could send their way. Because I agree that we wouldn’t go near the €75m fee United are offering. But sending Azpi and Alonso their way could help lower the fee substantially.

RkkMan

The Athletic article states that Kante and Jorginho have a year left (also Kante is plenty injury prone).

It makes plenty of sense for them to go for him.
They're still very prominent figures at Chelsea. Not to mention Kovacic is a key player for them now and Gallagher will get minutes. Much easier said than done

Trex

This saga would be the remembered as the one we missed out on giving the opportunity to Zidane Iqbal to go on an become Manchester united best midfielder since ever!!!!

RkkMan

Yes.

The new owner needs a good window and a statement signing. He's already been beaten to Rafinha and kounde.
Their statement and priority signing will be a ST after losing Lukaku and soon Werner not a midfielder they don't need in a stacked position

NZT-One

There is a contract if he stays. You're basing your post on the assumption he is 100% leaving, in which case I would agree, he would forfeit the deferred wages because he's not fulfilling the contract and neither are Barca. He can choose to stay and there is not much Barca can do about it other than make his stay miserable as feck. There is no way they come out the good guys if that were to happen and it's unknown what effect that is going to have on the registration of players and wages. Barca will be the ones to waiver in this battle as they have the most to lose. Player registrations, salaries, all these fecking levers they keep pulling. They are kicking the can down the road and making their already dire financial situation worse. The easy out is to pay Frenkie and he will leave. Hopefully to us.
:) I guess, we just talked past each other. Of course you are right and if FDJ stays, he supposedly will be due all the payments his contracts is providing him. My answer was specifically to another comment, who asked why FDJ couldn't just move and sue his old club for the money they owe him. And, seemingly, that isn't an option as the club isn't contractually owing him something, right now, but more morally as he wanted to help them by restructuring his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.