Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
If they sign FDJ he's obviously not going to be a bit part player for a midfielder who will be leaving the club next season. Jorginho would obviously be FDJ's backup in the event that they sign him.

Seems like Sterling was their forward. Haven't seen any links with any strikers and he has played through the middle in pre-season. They also have Broja as a backup if they plan to keep him and can shift Havertz up front in the event of an injury to Sterling with the option to bring Pulisic in (who seems to actually be playing pretty well in pre-season).
You're fully believing the Athletic piece that came out this morning then i see. Even though there was nothing in it that stated Chelsea were actually going to go for him and it was, all in all, a pure opinion piece?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I think we can lock this thread. I don’t think it’s happening fellas. I originally thought De Jong was refusing to go due to deferred wages in a negotiating stance. Clearly, that is not the case. He just doesn’t want to come to United.

‘Pretty disappointed with ETH, Murtagh and Arnold. If we do not bring in a midfielder, AGAIN, after needing a DM for literally 3 years, they take full responsibility. This is why, back in January, I was furious that we didn’t buy a DM at that time. A lot of idiots in the Caf were like, “what’s the point in buying a DM before we get a permanent manager in?” Well, here we are. This is why we are a awfully run club.
Yep we've lost another muppet. Such a shame, but it's to be expected i suppose

phelans shorts

The underrating of Neves is so weird, are these people just not happy with signing someone from Wolves? He would be a huge upgrade for our midfield, as we can move Fred forward.
It’s nothing to do with Wolves, it’s that from what I’ve seen of him, by Christmas he’d be sat on the bench because he isn’t better than what we have.

But hey, that grass over there is always greener than what we already have. Just ask Donny van der Beek.

Yagami

Good post resistant
People really underestimate what you need in midfield to challenge. You need players who can hold onto the ball under pressure. Neves is TERRIBLE in that regard. Would be a horrendous transfer when you consider we have no press resistant players in midfield as it is; never mind if we already had one or two.

Shark

@NotShark
It’s nothing to do with Wolves, it’s that from what I’ve seen of him, by Christmas he’d be sat on the bench because he isn’t better than what we have.

But hey, that grass over there is always greener than what we already have. Just ask Donny van der Beek.
You honestly think Fred and Mctominnay are aren't inferior?

CM

Not massively keen on Neves and he's not the same type of midfielder as De Jong but if it's a straight shootout between him and McTominay for the season, he'll have to do.

Telsim

That's a bit of a bizarre thing to say. Mane came from Southampton. Rooney came from Everton. These players have to come from somewhere.
Ah yes, because those are similar circumstances. Rooney came here when he was what? 20? Mane's talent was evident for a long time.

Must be due to Neves's brilliance that clubs are lining up for his signature. Oh wait, they are not. He is average and slow. Not bad, just average. A marginal improvement over what we have. Which isn't hard considering his competition is... McTominay. And also Wolves will take us to the cleaners for him. If we miss out on De Jong and have to settle for Neves instead, then that's an utter failure in planning and strategy. Maybe if Wolves settle for a €30M + €10M. Then maybe. Will they?

Not to mention his profile is nothing like De Jong. Like, not even close.

I mean, Neves. Seriously...

Reactions: Sultan

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Will lose a few in the coming weeks
I think so... It seems every single time a Chelsea link comes out people lose it and want the thread locked. Even though there hasn't been one single bit of proof that Chelsea are in for him. It's just pure opinion, yet people are still losing it big time. Why??

Dazzmondo

You're fully believing the Athletic piece that came out this morning then i see. Even though there was nothing in it that stated Chelsea were actually going to go for him and it was, all in all, a pure opinion piece?
There have been Chelsea links from more than a month back. I remember because I had this exact same argument about Chelsea actually needing a midfielder more than people think due to Kante and Jorginho's contract situations and drops in performance levels. My belief is that Chelsea would be interested in FDJ given their current midfield situation and reports that have actually been around for a while now. I don't think he'll go to Chelsea. I don't think he'll go to Utd. I think he'll stay at Barcelona despite them trying to force him out. However, I do believe that Chelsea are interested in him and have probably had some initial discussions about the possibility of him joining if he was to leave.

TheReligion

Abusive
The underrating of Neves is so weird, are these people just not happy with signing someone from Wolves? He would be a huge upgrade for our midfield, as we can move Fred forward.
Meh he’s a decent player but doesn’t really get me excited I’ll be honest. If he could be picked up at the right price he’d be a good addition but I’m not even sure he’s comparable with De Jong really in what he brings on the pitch. They seem very different players to me.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Neves is a surprisingly good PL-level midfielder ... I say this because of his physique and the PL isn't really known to give DLPs enough time on the ball. He'd be a solid signing for United.

BloodyHell

Longtime lurker, fulltime muppet to this thread: FDJ will join us. Chelsea have just signed another midfielder, Barca are going to see who else they can ensnare before coming to terms with Frenkie and packing him on the first flight from Spain to Manchester.

Reactions: Penna

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
There have been Chelsea links from more than a month back. I remember because we had this exact same argument about Chelsea actually needing a midfielder more than people think due to Kante and Jorginho's contract situations and drops in performance levels. My belief is that Chelsea would be interested in FDJ given their current midfield situation and reports that have actually been around for a while now. I don't think he'll go to Chelsea. I don't think he'll go to Utd. I think he'll stay at Barcelona despite them trying to force him out. However, I do believe that Chelsea are interested in him and have probably had some initial discussions about the possibility of him joining if he was to leave.
And you truly think that Chelsea will offer €85m for him? You think they'll match Uniteds offer whilst still chasing all their other targets?
It makes no sense, especially seeing as they're adding yet another midfielder to their ranks too. As for him staying at Barca, nah, i seriously, seriously doubt that'll happen. Barca want him out, and they'll make sure it happens one way or another if you ask me. Of course i could be wrong, we could all be wrong, and it remains to be seen what will happen, but the most likely scenario at the moment is he'll leave and join United. Lets just see what happens i suppose

phelans shorts

If Mctominnay was in the championship he'd barely even stand out. Fred is closer to Neves but still much worse on the ball.
Oh so it’s the chronic underrating of a British player thing again. Cool.

Neves is nothing to write home about, occasionally scoring from 30 yards doesn’t change that, just ask Paul Pogba.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
It will be a shame to get gazumped by Chelsea that's been getting gazumped all summer
Yeah because Chelsea are going to spunk another €85m on a midfielder.
They may be interested, but i imagine thats pretty much all it'll be, interest. They won't match Uniteds offer, and the only way they'll bid is if United end their interest and walk away

Dazzmondo

And you truly think that Chelsea will offer €85m for him? You think they'll match Uniteds offer whilst still chasing all their other targets?
It makes no sense, especially seeing as they're adding yet another midfielder to their ranks too. As for him staying at Barca, nah, i seriously, seriously doubt that'll happen. Barca want him out, and they'll make sure it happens one way or another if you ask me. Of course i could be wrong, we could all be wrong, and it remains to be seen what will happen, but the most likely scenario at the moment is he'll leave and join United. Lets just see what happens i suppose
Ya, that's your opinion. Mine is different. I really don't think he wants to join Utd personally. We agreed a fee with Barca ages ago now and there's been no movement since. People are blaming the deferred wage for that but I don't buy it. I think the clubs would find a way around that. I think FDJ simply wants to stay in Barcelona where he has a house, where his family is settled, where he's earning massive money. I also don't really see him being overly interested in joining a club that isn't even in the CL regardless of whether or not his old manager is in charge of the club. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be overly encouraged by what we've done in the transfer market either if he was somewhat in 2 minds. Ultimately, I'd love it to happen because I think he's an excellent player, and I've never been a fan of Neves, even when his hype was at its peak a few years ago or when it rose steeply again after that Tifo video on him dropped. I just don't see it though, and I'm not going to artificially try getting my hopes up for something that I expect would only crush them later.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Neves is miles better than McTominay. Fred is more debatable, but that's because Fred is better than many seem to think. Neves is also more natural than either of them in the deeper role, which then allows Fred to push forward into his more natural position. Neves in the deeper role with Fred the box-to-box is a far better combo than Fred in the deeper role and McTominay in the box-to-box.

glasgow 21

Knowing our luck the backup will end up being more expensive than FDJ.
No the backup is going to be more than FDj as they will know we are desperate as usually. I don't know why Man utd keep handing the opposition penalties when it comes to transfers. Walk away, I as a supporter would have more respect if they did. We are going to chase this for him to end up at Chelsea with some money and 2 players heading the other way.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Melissa Reddy isn't reporting anything new regarding Neves and quite clearly states the interest in him is old. She also mentions Renato Sanches as a 'loosely' linked option but isn't putting too much stock into that name just yet. But she's basing her news on Neves due to United holding a historical interest in the player. And I'm not sure that historical interest still holds, now that Solskjaer and the heads of scouting have left the club.

gza the genius

Neves is miles better than McTominay. Fred is more debatable, but that's because Fred is better than many seem to think. Neves is also more natural than either of them in the deeper role, which then allows Fred to push forward into his more natural position. Neves in the deeper role with Fred the box-to-box is a far better combo than Fred in the deeper role and McTominay in the box-to-box.
This. Neves on his own isn’t nearly as good as FDJ obviously but a Neves and Fred partnership would be night and day to Mctominay and Fred.

Status
Not open for further replies.