Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

He’s the only midfielder in the entire world who could come in and improve our midfield.

TheReligion

Abusive
Tbf on Tuchel, they need someone like Fofana and he knows that.
They really do. Their back three CB all picked up cramp and niggles. I think both Thiago Silva and Koulibaly are both injured.

They had a combined age of 100.

The season is going to be very intense and there’s no way those three stay fit for every game. Yes they have Chalobah and Cucurella who can play there but then need another younger CB in that set up.

jamesjimmybyrondean

which would probably make Tielemans a "plan c". Hence why the FDJ saga has been so far outside the norm of this window. If we don't think we can get a target, it has been a quick shift. Unless i get egg on my face and we get a massive "breaking news" post-match today that we moved on, the FDJ saga is way too far outside the norm to be ignored. Being too different to they way we chased our other targets and those deals means something.
It really is looking like De Jong or nothing.

Teja

Folks, here's my old man take on this.

We will either get De Jong or we will get another midfielder before the window closes. We will likely also get a striker/ forward too.

Ultimately though, none of this will seem important in the longer term because we already made the best signings we could make getting this manager and his chosen coaches in and are letting them get on with their jobs.

I predict you will look back on this at the end of the season and wonder what you were all getting uptight about. After the world Cup I think we are going to tear things up for the rest of the season and we'll do alright even before that; as in we'll be in close contact with the other top 4 rivals.
Yup I agree 100%. The most important thing we could've done this summer was to get the coaching appointment right and I think we've done that.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
They really do. Their back three CB all picked up cramp and niggles. I think both Thiago Silva and Koulibaly are both injured.

They had a combined age of 100.

The season is going to be very intense and there’s no way those three stay fit for every game. Yes they have Chalobah and Cucurella who can play there but then need another younger CB in that set up.
It would be such a United thing to spend more than £60m on Cucurella and then play him as LCB

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Folks, here's my old man take on this.

We will either get De Jong or we will get another midfielder before the window closes. We will likely also get a striker/ forward too.

Ultimately though, none of this will seem important in the longer term because we already made the best signings we could make getting this manager and his chosen coaches in and are letting them get on with their jobs.

I predict you will look back on this at the end of the season and wonder what you were all getting uptight about. After the world Cup I think we are going to tear things up for the rest of the season and we'll do alright even before that; as in we'll be in close contact with the other top 4 rivals.
This guy gets it! Good post, I think you’re spot on.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Morning guys! Another day beckons... except i'm going to be out for most of it, so i'm hoping for some news when i get home tonight!

Or maybe a nice juicy Sport tweet to destroy :drool: :drool:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
We are obviously not going to sign players for the sake of it. We are going for the ones we want or we will not sign anyone.
Which is how we should have always operated. The amount we've spent on players "just because" and it's rarely worked out.
I think ten Hag sees a lot of potential in our youngsters and thinks some of them can do a great job in the future.

We've always been known for developing our own talent, just seemed to really lose our way since Fergie retired

jamesjimmybyrondean

If we end up sticking with what we have, we can only hope Garner or Zidane will do a Greenwood when we didn't get Sancho. That McFred midfield must die one way or another this season

Drizzle

We are obviously not going to sign players for the sake of it. We are going for the ones we want or we will not sign anyone.
I'm not suggesting buying players for the sake of it. I'm suggesting buying decent/good players rather than nobody, because we simply do not have the numbers.

It's perfectly conceivable that both Fred and McTominay are injured or unavailable at times - I guess those advocating the 'FDJ or nobody' route will feel comfortable when we're getting pumped by every team because our midfield is literally non-existent.

NZT-One

To all those saying that we're penny pinching, doesn't make sense. We've spent the most post SAF.

The way I see it is, EtH has identified a gap in our midfield. He knows someone who guarantees to fill that spot, Frenkie. He knows that player the most. He knows what he can add to the team/squad. For €80m+, he's happy to spend it.

If he can't get him, he feels he has young players of similar ilk, if not the same output now. Players he can coach to a certain level, like he did with Frenkie at Ajax. EtH would rather not spend that money on anyone but save it for a later date for another target.

Let's not forget, we have wasted a billion, and really have nothing to show for it. A part of the new regime is to be better on how we spend our money.

But more than anything, let's just show a little more faith in our new set up. We can all agree that is going to take time. There will be plenty of bumps in the road. Let's reassess next year at least.
Don't think, the total amount of cash post SAF is of any relevance here. If De Jong is the paramount transfer this window, there is no reason at all to question a stance where this deals stalls for weeks if potentially the gap is around 15 million.

If your faith is for free, thats fine for you but lets not expect others to be the same. There are people who think that trust and faith are things one has to work for and earn.

OrcaFat

Which is an amazing positive change and absolutely the right thing to do.
Up to a point. We can’t just end up with no-one in key positions indefinitely. At a certain point we have to look at players who might not be our first choice but will improve us.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Morning guys! Another day beckons... except i'm going to be out for most of it, so i'm hoping for some news when i get home tonight!

Or maybe a nice juicy Sport tweet to destroy :drool: :drool:
Or a Romero "Things are happening" to trigger us

OrcaFat

If we end up sticking with what we have, we can only hope Garner or Zidane will do a Greenwood when we didn't get Sancho. That McFred midfield must die one way or another this season
That would be a truly brilliant outcome. I don’t like to be too negative but I will be even more amazed than when Greenwood came through.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
or maybe a Romero "feelings" update :lol:
I find it amazing how their "feelings" are passed off and accepted as pure fact by people.
Like yesterday it was reported that Romero said "de Jong will leave next week and will go to Chelsea" only for it to come out a short while later that these were his "feelings" and what he thinks might happen.
This transfer has very little geniune news i think as the people involved, bar Barca, are staying quiet

LordSpud

I wish people would stop making suggestions about backups. There is no backup. Its Frenkie or bust!

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Up to a point. We can’t just end up with no-one in key positions indefinitely. At a certain point we have to look at players who might not be our first choice but will improve us.
We shouldn’t neglect positions in need of strengthening obviously, but it should be done in line with the managers/DOF plan for how we play. Obviously we have a list of targets we work down so as an example we work on Fabian Ruiz etc if FDJ doesn’t join, but we don’t lose our nerve and go buy somebody useless for way over the asking price just to say we signed a midfielder. We have to get away from Pogba and Sanchez type signings that cost a fortune and realistically added very little to the squad.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Psg have signed Vitinha, Sanches and Ruiz(about to). I'm not sure how they would have done here or if they would have fit but it's funny how all three have been touted as a De Jong alternative at some point

Last edited:

WPMUFC

I find it amazing how their "feelings" are passed off and accepted as pure fact by people.
Like yesterday it was reported that Romero said "de Jong will leave next week and will go to Chelsea" only for it to come out a short while later that these were his "feelings" and what he thinks might happen.
This transfer has very little geniune news i think as the people involved, bar Barca, are staying quiet
No Tier 1 MUFC update since Bangkok. Anything genuine since then has been restating Ducker/Stone's articles from Bangkok.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
No Tier 1 MUFC update since Bangkok. Anything genuine since then has been restating Ducker/Stone's articles from Bangkok.
Exactly, and nothing has come directly from Chelsea either. Their T1's are just posting one liners in unreleated articles, almost as if they're just throwing it in to cover all bases.

The only ones who truly know whats going on are United, ten Hag, de Jong, his agent and Barca. Aside from that it's all speculation and hearsay

phelans shorts

:lol:

Also didn't he breakout before the summer where we targetted Sancho? Did we try to sign Sancho in 2019?
He did. Then he had a poor first full season, if memory serves with his first two league goals coming in separate games against West Ham. So if one of them has a Greenwood in 2020/21 season there’ll be calls to ship them off to Forest Green Rovers.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Psg have signed Vitinha, Sanches and Ruiz(about to). I'm not sure how they would have done here or if they would have fit but it's funny how all three have been touted as a De Jong alternative at some point
It's strange how we were linked with every one of those players immediately before it was announced they were on the verge of signing for PSG. Did we force them into action or are clubs just taking the piss out of us by making it look like we are failing in every deal we try to do?

Suv666

De Jong is a good player but I don't think he's worth this much trouble nor worth fecking up our season for. This obsession with De Jong is getting a bit weird tbh, he's not Zidane.

Lets get someone else in, I don't think we can get CL if we start with McFred.

alexanderplatz

"I can not succeed unless you pay whatever you need to secure de Jong, if you don't buy him - whatever the cost - I will fail regardless of the quality of players I receive."

You're hired! :devil:

Not buying it in the slightest.
this is a quality analysis of that tweet haha

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Do the colored circles & the medals mean something in those tweets? I’ve seen red circles, yellow circles, now a gold medal; are they muppetry warning levels like the DEFCON system?

Status
Not open for further replies.