Further signings dependent on sales?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Really hope we do a thorough clean up of our squad. It is way too big and comprises of too many players who are not of the required quality. I really hope we are ruthless with the likes of Jones, Billiams, Pereira, Lingard and even Tuanzebe. The squad has enough depth and we have decent players coming through who can make up the numbers.

Although, the insane wages we pay our players is something we have to take into account when considering possible sales. So, we have to be realistic.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If this is true there's no way we sign Rice.

Usually in our transfer windows you get an idea of who our first choices are and it's very rarely any different.

This summer it's Sancho, Varane, Trippier as the 100% definites but the midfielder is the only one where there doesn't seem to have been a number one target. Camavinga looked possible at one point but no longer. Rice would be too expensive and West Ham likely to resist the sale, also there's been no real links with him at all.

I'm sure we're looking but there's not many names out there that seem to indicate genuine interest from us. Neves doesn't fit the profile of the DM type we need.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Sell Pogba. Get Rice in a deal involving Lingard. Buy Trippier.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
If this is true there's no way we sign Rice.

Usually in our transfer windows you get an idea of who our first choices are and it's very rarely any different.

This summer it's Sancho, Varane, Trippier as the 100% definites but the midfielder is the only one where there doesn't seem to have been a number one target. Camavinga looked possible at one point but no longer. Rice would be too expensive and West Ham likely to resist the sale, also there's been no real links with him at all.

I'm sure we're looking but there's not many names out there that seem to indicate genuine interest from us. Neves doesn't fit the profile of the DM type we need.
Our budget this summer was rumored to be £100-120m which we've already spent. But, certain departures look imminent such as Pogba and Lingard. Plus, there maybe other players who could be moved on. I think we still have another signing for this summer and it's going to be in midfield. I don't see how you can write that, we can't sign Rice. £60-70m which he'd cost, we can raise that sum through sales.

Trippier stuff is vaporware, we already have two decent options in that position. Whereas, Pogba leaving opens up a slot in our first XI which should be filled by a new signing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The ‘deadwood’ isn’t as easy to chuck this time round.

Jones - Free.
Dalot — Most likely a loan back to Milan. Get them paying a £3-5m loan fee and an obligation for £10-12m at the end of the season or something. Near enough break even.
Tuanzebe — Loan for a season. Hopefully he does well enough to earn a permanent transfer the season after, or he comes back as third choice.
Bailly — New contract so unlikely, but I’d happily sell now. £10m or so.
Williams — Loan for now to raise his price for next season.
Pogba — PSG or bust, really. Ideally we can get around £40-50m for him as he’s definitely not signing an extension.
Lingard — West Ham need to pull their finger out and give us the £20m or so he's definitely worth.
Pereira — Might have to give this boy away. God knows who wants him.
Matic — £5m or so to an Italian side. Somebody must want him. His legs might be gone but he can still play with the ball at a slower pace.

James — we could easily fetch £15-20m for him. He is still very much highly rated lower down the table. Don’t think we’ll let him go though. Annoyingly.
Van de Beek — much like James, his stock is still high enough to command a good fee. £15-20m or so from a European CL/EL side I reckon. But like James, I think he’s got another year left.

RuudTom83

DDG and Pogba are the only real problems United have to fix imo.

Is DDG going to be no.1 next season?
Is Pogba in the long term plans for the team?

Both cost the club a fortune every week.

Players like Lingard, Mata, Jones etc. might appear as deadwood but they add squad depth (Phil excluded) and over cover for injuries.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Our budget this summer was rumored to be £100-120m which we've already spent. But, certain departures look imminent such as Pogba and Lingard. Plus, there maybe other players who could be moved on. I think we still have another signing for this summer and it's going to be in midfield. I don't see how you can write that, we can't sign Rice. £60-70m which he'd cost, we can raise that sum through sales.

Trippier stuff is vaporware, we already have two decent options in that position. Whereas, Pogba leaving opens up a slot in our first XI which should be filled by a new signing.
Who's the progressive passer in that midfield though? Rice helps us defensively but McTominay and Fred don't offer enough from a passing perspective and Bruno will be too far forward. Need someone Carrick-esque in there.

GueRed

Ideally sell Pogba and use some of that cash to bring in someone like Rice. In that way our first team immediately improves.

But I'm not getting my hopes up.

It looks like Pogba might stay, soldier on....and leaves next summer for diddly squat, again.

Tony247

Another RB and if pogba leaves then another creative CM is absolutely must. CDM is really needed but I don't think that is happening this summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For sure. Right now we'll likely be limited by wage budget and squad numbers.
GK - De Gea has to go
RB - Williams or Dalot or both if we want Trippier
CB - Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones all pointless basically, but 1 should stay as 4th choice
CM - Pereira pointless. Pogba, Matic, Van De Beek all could go, they all have questionable roles for their status. I'd keep Matic but look to get rid of the other 2 and replace properly with a defensive mid and a playmaker.
CAM - Lingard will only get games when Bruno is rested so I can't see him staying. Mata never plays.
Wing - James will pretty much never play. Pellistri and Elanga need loans.

Keep a squad of:
Henderson, Heaton, Grant
Wan Bissaka, +1
Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly?
Shaw, Telles
+1 DM, +1 deep playmaker, Fred, McTominay, Matic
Sancho, Amad
Bruno, Van de Beek
Rashford, Martial
Cavani, Greenwood

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sell: Pogba (50m) Lingard (25m)
Buy: Camavinga (40m) Neves (30m)

roseguy64

I think we would be happy with a 150m spend if its on the right players. That was a figure that was thrown about last season and leaves us about 35m left without sales.

Players like Sancho count for less because they are so young and have so much potential, that will be factored in to the accounts. If I remember correctly it's 5 years we amortise players across.
It's not 5 years. It's the contract length.

roseguy64

Ideally sell Pogba and use some of that cash to bring in someone like Rice. In that way our first team immediately improves.

But I'm not getting my hopes up.

It looks like Pogba might stay, soldier on....and leaves next summer for diddly squat, again.
It does not. If Pogba is sold then Rice is not good enough/the right type of replacement. Neither is Grealish.

Matthew84!

Sell: Pogba (50m) Lingard (25m)
Buy: Camavinga (40m) Neves (30m)
Good in theory
But I think its been reported Camavinga prefers a move to Madrid or Psg, he'd only be here a few years if we got him.

meamth

So Ole has spent at least over 280 million plus minus ins and outgoings in 4 transfer windows.

Not bad at all. If we offload Pogba for 60-70 million pounds, we can easily sign Rice.

dalriada

I can see loans again if there are no buyers for some of the excess players, or we have to sell cheaply. The player we're most likely to sell at the moment is Pogba, who'll obviously bring in a good chunk of money.
I would guess there are players that Ole would be willing to part with - he seems to have no use for Dalot and Pereira. I see Williams and Tuanzebe as loan candidates if another RB comes in and there's confidence that Bailly can stay free of injury.

DiMaria

I’m not the biggest pogba fan but if we don’t get at least 2 midfielders then we need him this season. Our cm/cdm position is now the weakest area of our team. Selling pogba without having adequate replacements would be a mistake.

Reactions: Cheimoon

McTerminator

The ‘deadwood’ isn’t as easy to chuck this time round.

Jones - Free.
Dalot — Most likely a loan back to Milan. Get them paying a £3-5m loan fee and an obligation for £10-12m at the end of the season or something. Near enough break even.
Tuanzebe — Loan for a season. Hopefully he does well enough to earn a permanent transfer the season after, or he comes back as third choice.
Bailly — New contract so unlikely, but I’d happily sell now. £10m or so.
Williams — Loan for now to raise his price for next season.
Pogba — PSG or bust, really. Ideally we can get around £40-50m for him as he’s definitely not signing an extension.
Lingard — West Ham need to pull their finger out and give us the £20m or so he's definitely worth.
Pereira — Might have to give this boy away. God knows who wants him.
Matic — £5m or so to an Italian side. Somebody must want him. His legs might be gone but he can still play with the ball at a slower pace.

James — we could easily fetch £15-20m for him. He is still very much highly rated lower down the table. Don’t think we’ll let him go though. Annoyingly.
Van de Beek — much like James, his stock is still high enough to command a good fee. £15-20m or so from a European CL/EL side I reckon. But like James, I think he’s got another year left.
100% agree with this.

These lists are usually overdramatic or unrealistic or both so nice to see!

EireRed_GS

I think the only reason we have splashed out on Sancho/Varane is because they are fully expecting an injection of cash for Pogba.. with our track record last few years, id be surprised with another signing.. I would love a CDM though.. Then get a big replacement for Cavani next summer

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Makes sense considering the amount of money we have spent and the losses the club is incurring. I would be worried if we were going to spend any more without balancing the books.

Dazzmondo

Plenty of players to move on in theory but in reality moving these players on is a big problem due to how ridiculously overpaid our players are. Other clubs have more sense than to pay huge wages for poor or average players. The only players I could see us getting a fee for are Lingard, Pogba and maybe James. All the rest would need to be loaned out or released on a free to get them off the wage bill imo. Don't think we can afford to sell Williams either (doubt we could get anything other than a loan anyway) now that Telles is out injured until Sept (maybe if we sign Trippier we could let him go). Realistically I think we're very dependent on selling Pogba to PSG to sign any more players. If PSG refuse to pay or Pogba prefers to just wait until the end of his contract I think we would still be left quite weak in midfield despite Sancho and Varane being excellent signings.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
100% agree with this.

These lists are usually overdramatic or unrealistic or both so nice to see!
You don't think it's at all unrealistic or overdramatic to be suggesting that we get rid of 11 senior players in one window, including three of our six centre backs, two of our three right backs, and four of our six senior midfielders?

Okay then.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
For sure. Right now we'll likely be limited by wage budget and squad numbers.
GK - De Gea has to go
RB - Williams or Dalot or both if we want Trippier
CB - Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones all pointless basically, but 1 should stay as 4th choice
CM - Pereira pointless. Pogba, Matic, Van De Beek all could go, they all have questionable roles for their status. I'd keep Matic but look to get rid of the other 2 and replace properly with a defensive mid and a playmaker.
CAM - Lingard will only get games when Bruno is rested so I can't see him staying. Mata never plays.
Wing - James will pretty much never play. Pellistri and Elanga need loans.

Keep a squad of:
Henderson, Heaton, Grant
Wan Bissaka, +1
Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly?
Shaw, Telles
+1 DM, +1 deep playmaker, Fred, McTominay, Matic
Sancho, Amad
Bruno, Van de Beek
Rashford, Martial
Cavani, Greenwood
I like this a lot, doubt it will happen though.

But Murtough and Fletcher deserve some faith.

Matthew84!

I might be alone on this but if Pogba goes which he might, I think Utd should go for Maddison, it seems he's unwanted at Leicester and I think we was in for him before.

bosskeano

what really surprises me about all of this is how little transfer information about players going out has been put forth in the press or social media. You'd honestly think we would have a lot of activity with players going on loan or just being sold.

Tuanzebe going to loan at newcastle seems to be the biggest goings out news right now and i don't really get the loan thing. we should just sell him with a buy back option if we feel he could come good after a few years of playing regular football.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I might be alone on this but if Pogba goes which he might, I think Utd should go for Maddison, it seems he's unwanted at Leicester and I think we was in for him before.
Hes a #10 and we have Bruno. If Pogba goes, or even if he doesn't, we need deeper midfielders. The likes of Verratti, Jorginho, Locatelli, De Jong, Modric, Kroos, Fabinho, Fernandinho, Casemiro, Witsel, etc. Buying another attacking midfielder to shoe horn them as a deeper midfielder and still try to balance Sancho, Rashford, Bruno and a striker is a bad idea.

bosskeano

we can't realistically sell that many players as we still have multiple competitions to play in durign the season. We should be able to move 4-5 so we can give the youngsters a chance

Olecurls99

We need to trim this squad down now, even if we don't make another signing. Too many unused senior players isn't good for a club. They drag everybody down because they're not involved. With that in mind I'd be looking to move on the players below.

De Gea: 20m a year in wages means we should just give him away if we can or even do an Alexis on it and offer to pay some of his wages or a partial loan. He's been progressively worse since 2018. Henderson has to be 1st choice now.

Jones: Free transfer. Partial loan. Anything.

Bailly/Tuanzebe/Lindelof: Bailly and Lindelof are good PL players and should warrant 20m but if nobody offers that we should loan out Tuanzebe to get him some game time. That would leave us with the 4 we need.

Lingard: Should look for 25m after last season. If not, then another loan.

Perreira: Same again. Loan or 10m maybe.

Williams: Loan him out. Better at left back than right for me but somebody would give him game time. Maybe in the championship.

That would leave us with the below squad.

Henderson/Heaton/Grant
Bissaka/Dalot
Maguire/Lindelof
Varane/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Telles
Cracking defense

Fred/Mctominay
Donny/Matic
Fernandes/Diallo
Probably get a Matic replacement next year. Donny needs a run at number 8, to try and fix the eternal dilemma of getting the balance right, between protecting the defense and starting attacks.

Pogba/Rashford
Cavani/Martial
Sancho/Greenwood

Cracking attacking options there. I'd keep Pogba because I think he will work great with the talent around him in this team. If it's the difference between winning the league the lost 40m will be worth it.

James and Mata are in the lovely lads section

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In euros.
James: 20 mil
Jones. 2 mil
Williams. 7 mil.
McTominay. 20-25 mil (no need for him if we buy new mc)
Henderson. 35-40 mil (no need to have no2 with that value)
Tuanzebe. 20 mil ( best time to sell)
Lingard. 15 mil
Pereira. 8 mil

It is 100 mil for new midfielder and Trippier.