Futsal magic by Falcao

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have realized that there haven't been many if any threads discussing futsal and how it can help footballers work on their footwork (Ronaldinho for instance used to play it a lot in Brazil before he came to Europe). Here is a little compilation of the greatest futsal player ever, the legendary Falcao. Just enjoy how he takes the piss :D (n°32 made me cringe a little)

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The technique is amazing.

Best watched with sound off.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What size is that ball? Doesn't look like size 5...awesome as shite though how amazing his skill is.
A FIFA approved Futsal ball must have a circumference between 24.61" and 25.0" - this is smaller than a traditional size 4 ball and bigger than a size 3 ball. Futsal balls are not sized the same way traditional soccer balls are sized (size 3, 4 & 5).

Snafu17

Futsal is the best sport in the world to play. It's also the dullest one to watch, unless you have a team that's shit at defending and a Falcao/Ricardinho on the pitch.

Snafu17

A FIFA approved Futsal ball must have a circumference between 24.61" and 25.0" - this is smaller than a traditional size 4 ball and bigger than a size 3 ball. Futsal balls are not sized the same way traditional soccer balls are sized (size 3, 4 & 5).
They also don't bounce.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Futsal is the best sport in the world to play. It's also the dullest one to watch, unless you have a team that's shit at defending and a Falcao/Ricardinho on the pitch.
A really fun sport to watch was Beach Soccer. It was much more popular in 90s/2000s though. Brazil was really fun to watch and Portugal had a dude named Madjer who was a beast.

MiceOnMeth

A really fun sport to watch was Beach Soccer. It was much more popular in 90s/2000s though. Brazil was really fun to watch and Portugal had a dude named Madjer who was a beast.
A player called Amarelle for Spain was amazing when I watched it in the mid 00s

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What size is that ball? Doesn't look like size 5...awesome as shite though how amazing his skill is.
3 or 4 maybe. Skills are harder with a smaller ball too. I used to try them all the time in the house as a kid with a mini football. Was dead easy when I then tried with a full size one.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did he ever try professional football?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Home to one of my favourite unlikely sporting accomplishments....Russia's back to back world cups 2011 and 2013.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Futsal is incredible to watch. There's nothing in sports like watching your team holding off a 1 goal lead in a decisive futsal match. The pressure is unbelievable and every challenge feels like a goal.

Snafu17

Futsal is incredible to watch. There's nothing in sports like watching your team holding off a 1 goal lead in a decisive futsal match. The pressure is unbelievable and every challenge feels like a goal.
It's obviously a hyperbole but futsal does tend to resemble the worst of Guardiola's games. Just a lot of ball circulation in search for an opening, with nothing really happening. Saying that, I love futsal, have been playing it all my life and I probably prefer it to football.

Snafu17

I was always wanted to try that but then I remember the injuries you get playing beach soccer.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
They also don't bounce.
Yes, it's hard to compare. Obviously the skill is incredible. But it's a lot easier to control and manipulate a heavier ball that doesn't bounce. Having played Futsal, I can attest to how different it is.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's obviously a hyperbole but futsal does tend to resemble the worst of Guardiola's games. Just a lot of ball circulation in search for an opening, with nothing really happening. Saying that, I love futsal, have been playing it all my life and I probably prefer it to football.
There is nothing that beats watching a Benfica vs Sporting mixed with the crowd for me.Best futsal derby in Europe imo.

I don’t know if you have the chance to review some of those matches, particularly playoff finals, but @Peyroteo or @André Dominguez might explain this better than me.

@paraguayo Madjer and Allan were the best duo playing in Europe, but yes it’s a fun sport to watch.

Speaking about Ricardinho great player but Falcão is the best player ever for me.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
And people said Falcao is a bad player because of his time at ManUnited and Chelsea.

The man can pull off tricks that David Blaine would be proud of.

lawliet354

Tend to agree with this :lol:. It's very popular in my country, but it feels more like watching basketball than football with majority of games looking similar. Last couple of minutes is the worst to watch though, with the whole team defending and the attacking team simply passing around for 3 minutes and then ended up conceded a goal because they messed up their powerplay. Don't think it's dullest to watch but it's definitely duller than I thought it would be. I thought it would be as fun as playing it yourself, just like football or badminton.

The most benefit in playing futsal is improving your decision making and ball control though, because of smaller area and faster play. You definitely cannot play futsal with a shit first touch.

Sad Chris

On a side note, Eric Cantona has a beach soccer history, too.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Did he ever try professional football?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHXStBKIBwM (1 minute mark)

he played for Sao Paulo a few games. They had one of those grumpy coaches that didn't like that the board signed him for marketing and never gave him chances.

he didn't do badly in his cameos, but ended up going back to futsal after a few months.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes, it's hard to compare. Obviously the skill is incredible. But it's a lot easier to control and manipulate a heavier ball that doesn't bounce. Having played Futsal, I can attest to how different it is.
I agree with this. I play futsal once a once and 11v11 the other times, the ball is just so different and the dynamics of the game are completely different. I enjoy futsal more tbh because you get to touch the ball so much and try to be creative whereas football is about tactics and mastering your position/role.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What are the other options? Futsal is played in a relatively narrow field. If a player fails, means 1/4 of the field players is left behind. The margin error is very narrow and every counter can lead to a goal situation.

Snafu17

What are the other options? Futsal is played in a relatively narrow field. If a player fails, means 1/4 of the field players is left behind. The margin error is very narrow and every counter can lead to a goal situation.
I mean yeah I agree with you. I'm not saying it should be played differently. I'm saying it's not as attractive to watch because of the way it's played.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I mean yeah I agree with you. I'm not saying it should be played differently. I'm saying it's not as attractive to watch because of the way it's played.
In terms of emotion I think it's a bit above football in overall terms. Unless you are wining by a comfortable margin, you can turn the game within 30 seconds - 1 minute (I've seen it happen a lot of time). And as there are not subs limit the players are giving 100% because they know they can rotate and have a break.

In terms of celebration football has the edge. Celebrating a goal in football gives you another feeling because you know the other team usually needs a lot of time to create a goal scoring opportunity and you know that advantage will last at least for a bit.