GAA 2018

Green_Red

What do poeple think of Sean Kellys suggestion that the format needs to be changed. Id agree. Watching the Dubs win the Leinster SFC every year is getting a little tedious. Being a Louth man isnt going to change our chances but it would be good to see it a bit more competitive.

kidbob

So who will blink first, Kildare or HQ ?
Hope we tell HQ to go feck itself. Seriously anyone not on Kildare's side in this is a shill. We were drawn as the home team and therefore there is no doubt the game should be in Newbridge, regardless of the money signs seen by the GAA. I'd rather see us forfeit the game than be pushed around. You can't just decide to take home advantage away from a team like that, it's disgusting behaviour. What happens on the off chance we make the Super 8? Everyone else get's there 'home' game but we have to suck it up and not play in Newbridge?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Good on Kildare for standing their ground.

HQ have to give in. They stand to lose most and lose face by awarding a walkover for a team not turning up in Croke Park. The vast majority of GAA people around the country are on Kildare's side.

Rooney24

Hope we tell HQ to go feck itself. Seriously anyone not on Kildare's side in this is a shill. We were drawn as the home team and therefore there is no doubt the game should be in Newbridge, regardless of the money signs seen by the GAA. I'd rather see us forfeit the game than be pushed around. You can't just decide to take home advantage away from a team like that, it's disgusting behaviour. What happens on the off chance we make the Super 8? Everyone else get's there 'home' game but we have to suck it up and not play in Newbridge?
Yep. Fully agree. An interesting few days ahead for sure.

Cian O'Neill says Kildare will be togged out and ready to go in Newbridge on Saturday night even if Mayo are in Croke Park. I have to admit theres a side of me wants to see this. :lol:

kidbob

Yep. Fully agree. An interesting few days ahead for sure.

Cian O'Neill says Kildare will be togged out and ready to go in Newbridge on Saturday night even if Mayo are in Croke Park. I have to admit theres a side of me wants to see this. :lol:
Hadn't heard that! That would be so hilarious. :lol:

Gee Male

You mean the same way Kildare told the Leinster Council to go feck themselves when they wanted all Dubs games in Leinster to be in Croker? No shills in Kildare, eh?

There's two things with this. First - what the GAA have done is absolutely wrong, no question.

And second, feck Kildare. Zero sympathy for them. Their agreement in Leinster is the exact precedent that allows the GAA to feck over smaller counties. The bottom line with this is that there's no extra money in it for Kildare to have the qualifier in Croker, whereas they've a sweet deal in Leinster.

Fully expect they'll be bought off again and come out with some tripe about disqualification not being fair on the plsyers etc.

Gee Male

Excellent. Dublin v Kildare in Newbridge in a Leinster semi next year would be mouth watering, I'm sure Kildare's new-found concern for the integrity of competition will see them give up their cash from the Leinster Council.

T_Model101

Well well who saw this coming?
How many steps did he take for that Kilkenny goal? :lol:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
That Galway team’s fitness levels are unlike anything ever seen in Irish sports. It is bordering on worrisome to be honest. 15-stone, muscular bodies running very hard for 70 minutes. Kilkenny look like a pub team in comparison.

T_Model101

Cody must have given them a rocket at half-time
Fair play, you can never rule them out

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'd one ear glued to a radio for the second half while cooking a barbecue here. Frantic stuff. Whoever that commentator is on Radio 1 was about to lose his mind. Galway weathered the storm well in the end and the fantastic start made the difference. Great to see that they're still the team to beat this year when they get their heads right.

Trizy

I'd one ear glued to a radio for the second half while cooking a barbecue here. Frantic stuff. Whoever that commentator is on Radio 1 was about to lose his mind. Galway weathered the storm well in the end and the fantastic start made the difference. Great to see that they're still the team to beat this year when they get their heads right.
Didn't listen to it but was it John Mullane (ex Waterford legend)?. I was listening to the first game on the way home from Thurles, with a depressed head on me from the Cork Clare match, he put a smile on my face with his complete stupidity of commentating :lol:.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
That Galway team’s fitness levels are unlike anything ever seen in Irish sports. It is bordering on worrisome to be honest. 15-stone, muscular bodies running very hard for 70 minutes. Kilkenny look like a pub team in comparison.
I want to put it down to their Polish fitness coach and hope for nothing else involved :D

https://www.independent.ie/sport/ga...f-the-galway-hurling-revolution-37089776.html

Personally, it been sickening for a long time to see skillful Galway hurling teams get bossed off the park, and how fantastic Minor teams could never make it All Ireland glory. It's a revelation to see them doing the bossing.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Didn't listen to it but was it John Mullane (ex Waterford legend)?. I was listening to the first game on the way home from Thurles, with a depressed head on me from the Cork Clare match, he put a smile on my face with his complete stupidity of commentating :lol:.
Whoever it was, I've no idea how they still had a voice by the end of it. A few time when I was distracted by conversation I was drawn back to it by his voice, imagining that something incredible had happened. Makes for great radio, I suppose.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Galway to clean up again.

There'll be two Cannning's now for teams to deal with - Joe & his nephew. What a sight that'll be.

You not here anymore

Some match earlier. You came out of that with a load of injuries. Not good

Trizy

Flew into Dublin from Croatia, straight to Croke park and was well wroth it. What a game of hurling! So much for Galway dominating Clare, eh?

Can't wait for the replay!

Gee Male

Galway Clare was exciting but poor quality, 12 Galway wides in the first half alone is insane. Of course it will be talked up as a great game, every time there's a close game of hurling it's called a classic.

Cork limerick was a genuine classic. Great game. Cork really shat themselves.

Trizy

Galway Clare was exciting but poor quality, 12 Galway wides in the first half alone is insane. Of course it will be talked up as a great game, every time there's a close game of hurling it's called a classic.
Am come on now it was a fantastic game. Clare the massive under dogs (rightly so given the talent of this Galway side) and come back from 9 points down to draw it after extra time was unbelievable. Not to mention only for a superb block in the last second of the 70mins stopped Clare from winning.

Only Galway and Tipperary fans wouldn't have enjoyed that game.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Both games were class. The level of skill and physicality was amazing. I agree Galway did underperform but still a fantastic comeback by Clare. Limerick introduced some quality off the bench in the other game that just swung it for them but was much closer than the final score suggests. Also that save by Quaid turned the game for me. Outstanding piece of skill to rob a forward certain of scoring a goal.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Galway grind there way to another final. It was absolutely there for Clare, they'll be absolutely gutted. Galway have looked out on their feet for weeks now and they probably should have won but have used a great start to manage to hold on in yet another match.

Eire Red United

Clare only themselves to blame, they’ll be rueing those wides today. 0 atmosphere in Ballybofey here it would need to improve.

Wayne's World

Probably the opposite from last week. Clare had so many wides and probably will be kicking themselves

As a Galway man, I'm delighted and looking forward to the final in two weeks :D

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Probably the opposite from last week. Clare had so many wides and probably will be kicking themselves

As a Galway man, I'm delighted and looking forward to the final in two weeks :D
I'm hoping Limerick have massive nerves because on evidence they'll have a huge fatigue advantage. If Galway pull it off it'll be a testament to phenomenal resilience and there'll probably be plenty stories of knocks kept under wraps and fitness issues they've played through.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Galway look shagged. Did well to win, Cooney a hero.
I think they said before the match that Daithi Burke will have an operation in September. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a few more. They've looked utterly gassed with plenty of the match left a few times now.

I'd say they'll hope for a cracking start against Limerick and hope Limerick melt before their legs go.

Trizy

Was down at the match, very poor atmosphere which is surprising given how great Croker was last week.

As a Clare man I'm terribly disappointed. It wasn't our poor start (again) it was the wides and bad wides at that. If you miss a 65+ yard point or a hail mary point you can't argue with it but there was several very scorable points missed today. You just knew we hit the post with 3~ minutes to go it wasn't meant to be.

Credit to Burke vs Conlon who is in All-Star form for us this year. He's the first man to keep him quiet for a full game and they got rewarded for it.

Limerick will be watching that game today and would be confident of going toe to toe with Galway. Hard final the call still though.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Was down at the match, very poor atmosphere which is surprising given how great Croker was last week.

As a Clare man I'm terribly disappointed. It wasn't our poor start (again) it was the wides and bad wides at that. If you miss a 65+ yard point or a hail mary point you can't argue with it but there was several very scorable points missed today. You just knew we hit the post with 3~ minutes to go it wasn't meant to be.

Credit to Burke vs Conlon who is in All-Star form for us this year. He's the first man to keep him quiet for a full game and they got rewarded for it.

Limerick will be watching that game today and would be confident of going toe to toe with Galway. Hard final the call still though.
Yeah for me Kelly and Duggan were poor from play. Missed a few very scoreable ones and when Kelly misfires Clare really struggle.