Gabriel Jesus | Arsenal

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
27m+4m add ons. Could be an absolute steal down the road. Surprised they beat Barca.

Panther

Incredible talent. Can be as big for them as Ronaldo was for us.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Meh, wouldn't put to much weight on the whole "beat Barca" thing. If Barca truly wanted him and pushed out the boat they would get him.

They probably gave him a low wage offer with no promises of first team action. While City did the opposite.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
They've got some exciting youngsters on the books now.

I thought they would sign a few more established players though to be honest.

Looks like they are going to break £200m this summer perhaps.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I have never seen this guy play so I don't have any real feelings about him going to City. Frankly, even if he flops it won't matter cos City will just buy a replacement like with Sterling. Not worth getting hyped over.

hobbers

Barca weren't interested at a lower fee, neither were we.

Not bothered.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
Not heard of him but he sounds biblically good, at the very least.

How did they get a work permit for him, I thought players had to have played games for the national team before being considered?

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
Meh, wouldn't put to much weight on the whole "beat Barca" thing. If Barca truly wanted him and pushed out the boat they would get him.

They probably gave him a low wage offer with no promises of first team action. While City did the opposite.
Mmmm, or it could be the fact that Pep is at the helm? Doesn't quite fit with the mercenary argument.

Gerald G

He's good on Football Manager...

I've never seen him play but people are talking about him like he's the 2nd coming of Jesus... (See what I did)

SwansonsTache

Mmmm, or it could be the fact that Pep is at the helm? Doesn't quite fit with the mercenary argument.
Get real. What Barca truly wants Barca gets. We know it, Bayern fans know it, Chelsea fans know it, Juventus fans know it etc. etc.

It is just City fans with your newfound illusion of grandeur and entitlement that thinks otherwise.

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
Get real. What Barca truly wants Barca gets. We know it, Bayern fans know it, Chelsea fans know it, Juventus fans know it etc. etc.

It is just City fans with your newfound illusion of grandeur and entitlement that thinks otherwise.
Not at all, I think Barca are way more attractive on nearly all levels. The one card we have, that is unquestionable, is that Pep is regarded as one of the best developers of young players. Thus to a young player, this could be the most important factor. I very much doubt we were the only ones in for him, same as Sane. Equally I very much doubt we got either of them because we were offering more wages, as you were implying.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I actually think they've done better business than us. Seems like the roles have been reversed and now they're going for the profile of player we always used to target to create a dominant team with staying power.
They've done ok so far. In terms addressing actual weaknesses in their first team (FB, CB, DM, CM) they've made one (injured) signing.

SwansonsTache

Not at all, I think Barca are way more attractive on nearly all levels. The one card we have, that is unquestionable, is that Pep is regarded as one of the best developers of young players. Thus to a young player, this could be the most important factor. I very much doubt we were the only ones in for him, same as Sane. Equally I very much doubt we got either of them because we were offering more wages, as you were implying.
I agree that Pep gives you an advantage when it comes to talent. Sadly in all other aspects the two Spanish cnut clubs outranks all of us, yet.

This might be about to change with the new financial power of the PL though. Only 2-3 seasons ago Pogba going somewhere else than the Spanish two would have been totally unfathomable.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He didn't really do that at Bayern though and Barca were still doing it without him there. A young player would still very likely go to Barca over City if it was about development.

If Barca wanted him and could match the fees and wages, they'd have gotten him. You can say that about 95% of Central European & South American footballers, quite frankly.

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
He didn't really do that at Bayern though and Barca were still doing it without him there. A young player would still very likely go to Barca over City if it was about development.

If Barca wanted him they'd have gotten him. You can say that about 95% of Central European & South American footballers, quite frankly.
What are you talking about? Conman, Kimmich?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They've got some exciting youngsters on the books now.

I thought they would sign a few more established players though to be honest.

Looks like they are going to break £200m this summer perhaps.
Have they even gone above £100m yet?

They are going to massively overpay for Stones and it'll be the end. Sane will be a good buy, I think Jesus will be fine without being spectacular. Gundogan is a bit of a sicknote and Nolito will probably be a squad player.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Nailed on to be a future star.

I don't think we're that attractive to young forwards. We already have Munir, Turan, Denis Suarez and Rafinha, all can play up front. Yet they won't really get that many appearances there unless in the case of a MSN injury or playing in the Copa del Rey.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman

I don't think we're that attractive to young forwards. We already have Munir, Turan, Denis Suarez and Rafinha, all can play up front. Yet they won't really get that many appearances there unless in the case of a MSN injury or playing in the Copa del Rey.
Yep, i don't understand how so many think you would "easily" persuade him to join you as opposed to other top clubs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People here seem to think he's brilliant. Let's see if reality matches that. But if it is the case City are doing some smart business this summer by adding young potential stars with technical quality and pace. It's interesting that we've now become the club that wants to make headline signings.

Regarding the "beat Barcelona to it", it doesn't quite add up. They only have 3 of the world's best footballers in their front three. Neither do they need to go all out for an unproven player, nor is that player young to have any chance whatoever of being first chance.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They already have sterling and Sane as promising young wingers. Will Gabriel Jesus develop up top to replace aguero or just writing off sterling? Either way, they're making football manager type sinings of promising attackings mids and reducing the age of the squad which they needed. Main problem for them last season and before that and still not though is defensive midfield and defence. Mostly old and not good enough really. Gundogan can do well in midfield but he has huge injury problems.

We'll see how Jesus develops though? They would hope he does better then the last jesus.

Thiim

Yeah, I just don't see him getting much game time... Will most likely go down the road of many other Brazilians before him. Come in with lots of hype and then slowly become the forgotten man.

Tarrou

Looks a talent but to call him a sure thing is overcooking it. If the top clubs were all after him he'd be going for more money than that, surely? Couldn't even get yourself a Troy Deeney for that money.

hobbers

I actually think they've done better business than us. Seems like the roles have been reversed and now they're going for the profile of player we always used to target to create a dominant team with staying power.
Not even close. They're just overloading their forward positions while neglecting everywhere else.

Sane and Jesus could be future worldies, or could be future Scott Sinclairs. Just look at Sterling: if you don't make an immediate impact at City you end up cast out and replaced in the next transfer window.

When it comes to prospects from Brazil, there is no such thing as a "sure thing".

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

If Barca wanted him and could match the fees and wages, they'd have gotten him. You can say that about 95% of Central European & South American footballers, quite frankly.
Don't know about Bayern but Barcelona haven't really done it since Pep. Xavi was played ahead of Thiago even when he needed painkillers to play, Bartra/Montoya/Tello not given any chances and a lot of youth loaned out with buy back clauses rather than integrated into the first team.

Regardless. Perception is everything. Even if Guardiola isn't as good as some thing at developing players, the fact he's perceived to be means young players will be convinced.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
No he isn't. :lol:

I've seen all the YouTube videos & even watched a recent Brazil Olympic game to see what all the fuss was about & he looked nothing special. Players like Pogba, Neymar, Hazard were near certain Stars because of their unrivaled technique.

Gabriel doesn't seem to be on that level at all despite playing in a 3rd rate League. I'll be surprised if he turns out to be a success at City.

NYC

Power of PEP.

Biggest Brand in football.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
Not even close. They're just overloading their forward positions while neglecting everywhere else.

Sane and Jesus could be future worldies, or could be future Scott Sinclairs. Just look at Sterling: if you don't make an immediate impact at City you end up cast out and replaced in the next transfer window.

When it comes to prospects from Brazil, there is no such thing as a "sure thing".
Hmm? Must have missed when we offloaded Sterling.

He had no competition on the left wing last season & was seemingly told by Pellegrini to slow play down & wait for an overlap, not even close to playing to his strengths. Nolito now provides competition for that spot for a couple of years, he's certainly not replacing him.. Unless of course you're talking about our other signings, who all play in different positions to Sterling?

I'm fully expecting Sterling to get plenty of game time this season, he's only 21, for me it's good to give him the competition & maybe rotate him rather than playing him 50 games in a season at this stage in his career.