Gabriel Jesus | Arsenal

ti vu

Someone should tell Aguero because he's just had his two most prolific seasons back to back.
Better than under Pellegrini. Are you sure you're not talking about goal per minutes? If it's indeed what you implied so why Aguero didn't start more. Some games like return leg vs L'pool, why wouldn't the supposed most prolific scorer of the team was on the bench.

redNATION

Another player being made to look better than he is by Pep. Did nothing of note in the world cup despite getting more minutes than others.
Just goes to show, some people keep saying Pep has 10 or 11 world class players to work with, but in reality he just makes them look like that. Jesus isnt the new Nazario Ronaldo for Brazil, and the likes of Otamendi, Sterling, Fernandinho have been shown up, and Sane wasnt even picked.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If anything I think the reason Pep likes him more then Aguero is because of his off the ball movement, he doesn't get involved much in the build up at all. Definitely a poacher how he plays for them. Sure he can get involved in other things, chicharito got involved in other aspects for United at times too, but hes still a poacher.
But that is false. You simply can't have your striker as a passenger in a team like City under Pep. His highlights this season would attest to that.

Eddy_JukeZ

If he didn't play today, I think Brazil might have gone through.

They improved ten-fold once he was subbed out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
But that is false. You simply can't have your striker as a passenger in a team like City under Pep. His highlights this season would attest to that.
Hes not a passenger, but what he brings is his constant off the ball movement. You dont really see him come deep and link up too much. Hes always looking to run in behind and constantly moving to keep defenders occupied (what poachers do). Just because Pep loves his tiki taka doesnt mean that every player plays a huge part in the build up. Some are bigger pieces due to their off the ball movement (like sterling last season).

Its not so much a bad thing, and of course he does do it occasionally as everyone does, but he isnt anything more then that (which isnt even my criticism of him, just interpretation of the style of player he is). My criticism is that hes pretty average at most things apart from his off the ball movement and I dont see a big difference between his quality and what Chicharito showed at United. I loved Hernandez while he was here, but he wasnt much more then a very useful impact player and that's how I see Jesus. He might try to come deep and get on the ball occasionally, but hes bang average at that.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s never actually gonna be a top player. He’s got no exceptional aspects whatsoever.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Better than under Pellegrini. Are you sure you're not talking about goal per minutes? If it's indeed what you implied so why Aguero didn't start more. Some games like return leg vs L'pool, why wouldn't the supposed most prolific scorer of the team was on the bench.
63 goals in his last 2 seasons, yes, his two best ever back to back seasons. 33 and 30, never before Pep had he back to back 30 goal seasons. He has had one 32 goal season but never scored with the consistency he has for Pep.

He didn't start the Liverpool game because he hadn't regained full fitness.

Lewandowski also managed 67 goals in 100 games under him (had his first 40+ goal season) and became much more lethal despite a poorish first season (only 25 goals). Something he's maintained since in fairness.

Jesus fwiw, has 24 goals in 53 appearances under Pep, by comparison in Brazil he managed 28 in 83 games (albeit at a much younger age).

Villa and Zlatan are probably the two that struggled most for him and that was mainly due to Messi playing centrally at the time. Villa for example was often used on the left wing.

Last edited:

ti vu

63 goals in his last 2 seasons, yes, his two best ever back to back seasons. 33 and 30, never before Pep had he back to back 30 goal seasons. He has had one 32 goal season but never scored with the consistency he has for Pep.

He didn't start the Liverpool game because he hadn't regained full fitness.

Lewandowski also managed 67 goals in 100 games under him (had his first 40+ goal season) and became much more lethal despite a poorish first season (only 25 goals). Something he's maintained since in fairness.

Jesus fwiw, has 24 goals in 53 appearances under Pep, by comparison in Brazil he managed 28 in 83 games (albeit at a much younger age).

Villa and Zlatan are probably the two that struggled most for him and that was mainly due to Messi playing centrally at the time. Villa for example was often used on the left wing.
You get stats from Wikipedia, me guess?

They must include goal for Argentine NT since Aguero only scored 4 goals this season in CL. In PL he didn't score more than he did under Pellegrini. You may argue international goal proves your point as Aguero improves, so I'll put out what I see. Higuain used to be a starter before recently. Aguero couldn't displace Higuain. Even now Aguero's improvement is nothing to write about. He was very bad for Argentine. It's more about being less worse than, truly be good.

Lewandolski used to be able to turn up for key game. Now he is considered one of the bottler and more of flat track bully. You would have expected him to kick on to become best forward when he moved to Bayern but now he's stat padding forward.

Similarly Jesus used to be robust forward could link well together, and nuisance in the box with his foxy movement. Nowadays he has no presence while his involvement in play is in lower level than he is used to be. just watch the Olympic matches and one can see the contrast of the old Jesus and nowadays.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You get stats from Wikipedia, me guess?

They must include goal for Argentine NT since Aguero only scored 4 goals this season in CL. In PL he didn't score more than he did under Pellegrini. You may argue international goal proves your point as Aguero improves, so I'll put out what I see. Higuain used to be a starter before recently. Aguero couldn't displace Higuain. Even now Aguero's improvement is nothing to write about. He was very bad for Argentine. It's more about being less worse than, truly be good.

Lewandolski used to be able to turn up for key game. Now he is considered one of the bottler and more of flat track bully. You would have expected him to kick on to become best forward when he moved to Bayern but now he's stat padding forward.

Similarly Jesus used to be robust forward could link well together, and nuisance in the box with his foxy movement. Nowadays he has no presence while his involvement in play is in lower level than he is used to be. just watch the Olympic matches and one can see the contrast of the old Jesus and nowadays.
I can get the stats from anywhere... Jesus... you're clutching at straws.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/14260/Show/Sergio-Agüero

Goals for Man City, nothing to do with international.
He scored 4 European goals this season, he scored 21 PL goals in 25 PL appearances, which is 25 goals in 32 games, 2 goals in 3 FA Cup games, 27 in 35 and 3 goals in the league cup, thats, 30 goals for Man City this season.

Last season he scored 20 league goals in 30 games, 5 in 5 in the FA Cup, none in the league cup and 8 in 8 in the Champions League.

That is 63 goals for Man City in 2 seasons under Pep. Something he has never achieved before.

Thats bullshit about Lewandowski too, his first 30 goal league season came under Pep. It included the 2 goals that sealed the title. Pretty much every game in the BL for Bayern is stat padding. He scored 16 goals in 22 CL games at Dortmund and 15 in 24 at Bayern under Pep. Very little difference.

You're comparing the Olympics (and u23 competition) to the Premier League, CL and World Cup? Really. Again Jesus record speaks for itself since he's joined Pep, far better goals to games ratio.

He's certainly not robust, doesn't link well or a nuisance in the box now... One bad tournament and Pep has ruined him... Same rubbish that was labelled at Aguero because he scores mostly from cutbacks.

ti vu

I can get the stats from anywhere... Jesus... you're clutching at straws.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/14260/Show/Sergio-Agüero

Goals for Man City, nothing to do with international.
He scored 4 European goals this season, he scored 21 PL goals in 25 PL appearances, which is 25 goals in 32 games, 2 goals in 3 FA Cup games, 27 in 35 and 3 goals in the league cup, thats, 30 goals for Man City this season.

Last season he scored 20 league goals in 30 games, 5 in 5 in the FA Cup, none in the league cup and 8 in 8 in the Champions League.

That is 63 goals for Man City in 2 seasons under Pep. Something he has never achieved before.

Thats bullshit about Lewandowski too, his first 30 goal league season came under Pep. It included the 2 goals that sealed the title. Pretty much every game in the BL for Bayern is stat padding. He scored 16 goals in 22 CL games at Dortmund and 15 in 24 at Bayern under Pep. Very little difference.

You're comparing the Olympics (and u23 competition) to the Premier League, CL and World Cup? Really. Again Jesus record speaks for itself since he's joined Pep, far better goals to games ratio.

He's certainly not robust, doesn't link well or a nuisance in the box now... One bad tournament and Pep has ruined him... Same rubbish that was labelled at Aguero because he scores mostly from cutbacks.
You're right. I mistook FA Cup goal record under Pellegrini first with with second season. The different between last 2 pair of seasons are 2 goals. Aguero has a period where he was sidelined plenty due to injury. It's not like he never reach 30 goal mark ever before, or only one prior.

Lewandoski point is relating to Aguero. Sealing league title is not same as goals such as those scored to sink Madrid or win Dortmund domestic Cup against Bayern. Dortmund went to one CL final due to these important CL goal but Pep Bayern couldn't. The expectation was Lewandolski and Aguero to continue that big game record and add goal else where. They add goals and now what the key game, they ain't the same. 6 of CL 16/17 season was 2 hattrick against 2 team who ended up eliminated. 8/8 looks great but in the end there are as many game he didn't score/being trusted to play as games he scored. What's the point for such record?

The playing level may not be the same, yet the history thus expectation was no less than sharing burden of goal scoring for a team flying without him in PL. Brazil won their first Olympic and before the emergence of Jesus, they struggled as a whole to international level. The Olympic campaign brought momentum to the WC qualifying campaign to. Brazil was not cut above like how they ended up. Jesus was really rated prior deep into this past season.

Did you make the YouTube video? What is point of highlight? Does highlight video also include weakness, bad games?

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
All of the City players were diabolical. I'm sick of "defensive strikers" - the job of a number 9 is to score goals.

Greck

System player. Thoroughly enjoyed watching City's 'world class attackers' flop this WC. Meanwhile our players continue to have good outings

SER19

Jesus is not the reason Brazil is struggling to break opposition defenses down. That's insane.

Brazil will go as far as their main man, Neymar, will take them. And so far he's had a mediocre tournament. Spent more time on the floor than actually playing.

Regardless of who you rate to be the better striker, thinking that a straight swap of Jesus for Firmino (who did not impress for Brazil in qualifiers) elevates this team to another level is nonsense. So is the idea that Jesus is a poacher, which no one who watched City this season would say with a serious face.
Well I never said he was a poacher. Nor that firmino would elevate the team to another level. In fact your whole post just seems like a little angry mini rant and these two points you seem to be trying to contradict, were never raised, at least not by me. Very weird.

Jesus had an abysmal tournament and was by far the worst player on the pitch versus Belgium. Is too young and weak to lead a Brazilian line and firmino in this side would have offered far more. Or some tactical variation that didn’t rely on Jesus up top.

Was genuinely horrific last night, I would say a 2/10 performance and was only marginally better in other performances this tournament. To me, that’s reason enough to say he should be nowhere near starting, I’m sorry that troubles you so much.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You're right. I mistook FA Cup goal record under Pellegrini first with with second season. The different between last 2 pair of seasons are 2 goals. Aguero has a period where he was sidelined plenty due to injury. It's not like he never reach 30 goal mark ever before, or only one prior.

Lewandoski point is relating to Aguero. Sealing league title is not same as goals such as those scored to sink Madrid or win Dortmund domestic Cup against Bayern. Dortmund went to one CL final due to these important CL goal but Pep Bayern couldn't. The expectation was Lewandolski and Aguero to continue that big game record and add goal else where. They add goals and now what the key game, they ain't the same. 6 of CL 16/17 season was 2 hattrick against 2 team who ended up eliminated. 8/8 looks great but in the end there are as many game he didn't score/being trusted to play as games he scored. What's the point for such record?

The playing level may not be the same, yet the history thus expectation was no less than sharing burden of goal scoring for a team flying without him in PL. Brazil won their first Olympic and before the emergence of Jesus, they struggled as a whole to international level. The Olympic campaign brought momentum to the WC qualifying campaign to. Brazil was not cut above like how they ended up. Jesus was really rated prior deep into this past season.

Did you make the YouTube video? What is point of highlight? Does highlight video also include weakness, bad games?
He's never scored with such consistency. Had he not missed 13 league games this season I think its fair to say he'd have scored another 4 or 5, given his form. Particularly with the pressure off end of the season. He's looked better than ever also imho and most who have watched him, he's just changed his play style under Pep.

To say because either hasn't scored vs Real or big teams in the CL (Real in particular who in the last 3 years have been immense in the CL is tough), using that logic, Messi is not a decider of big games because despite his goals in the league he's hardly done anything in the later stages of the CL. You can only score against what you're playing. 8 in 8 in the CL is immense regardless of who you're playing against. Only Ronaldo has scored consistently against the big teams in the later stages of the CL.

Jesus is still really rated, people want Firminio to play ahead of him because Firminio had a great season and is a better player, not because Jesus has regressed just because Firminio is better than him.

I didn't make the youtube video, I simply posted it. Whats the point? It shows Jesus doing everything this season, that you say Pep has taken out of his game, literally everything. Coming out of the box, linking up play. Being cunning in the box. Everything you said he used to be, he still is, one bad tournament doesn't change that.

Jesus is easily a better player now then he was when he first arrived, even if he doesn't get a goal every 90 minutes (which was never going to last.) Along with all those things you say he doesn't do, he's now more efficient in the box, Highlights make it look like he just hangs out in the box and scores tap ins as you only see the goals, but that's because he has Sane and Sterling destroying defenders and rolling the ball back from the byline so he has to be in position to get the tap ins (same criticism as about Aguero on the Caf around christmas). If he wasn't in there getting tap in's people would complain that he's a striker who should be in the box and never gets in the right position. He can only finish the chances that are made for him and thats where Cities wingers and KDB put the ball.

Having watched about 50+ City games this season, he still has all those things. He just plays in a team which demands he holds his position until City are in the final 3rd. Pep is ruthless on where his players are positioned outside the last 3rd and his striker has to stretch the pitch until the team arrive there. It's important to the tactic and to making room for KDB and Silva. None of the front 3 are allowed out of position and doing so will cost them their place in the team.

Brazil tried to get him to do something similar for Neymar this WC and it failed and he had a poor tournament, it happens.

UDontMessWith24

Brazilian Shane Long. Imagine if it was United that put down that money for him the media would be in a feeding frenzy.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just wondering if Caf posters can say he's had a bad World Cup without being compared to the Daily Mail? Some city fans have been ultra sensitive to the criticism of City players performances in WC.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just wondering if Caf posters can say he's had a bad World Cup without being compared to the Daily Mail? Some city fans have been ultra sensitive to the criticism of City players performances in WC.
And few ManUtd fans too.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Because he signs good players?
And then plays bad football with them (relative to City).

After this World Cup, the excuse that Mourinho doesn't have as many good players as Guardiola should be dead and buried.

Lawman

And then plays bad football with them (relative to City).

After this World Cup, the excuse that Mourinho doesn't have as many good players as Guardiola should be dead and buried.
I agree with you on the squad quality as we have definitely closed the gap but not quite to the same level as City yet.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What happened to the tricky flairy forward he was at Palmeiras?

wythyred

Have said since day one which has caused many a city fan to lose their heads that he is nothing special.

Flatters to decive in City's system and isn't a top tier young talent.. unlike a certain utd academy product ;)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Still one of best young talents in world football. His goal record for Man. City is still very good.

Just had a really poor tournament, it happens. Odd that Firmino didn't start a game though.

Treble

Watch him flourish next season. Has the tools and the mentality to be a great player for City. The comparisons with Chicharito are silly, imo.

Glideman

It's so weird seeing United fans defend City players so much, surely this the one place we can take the micky out of their players not doing too great...or am i missing something?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Interesting that Jesus and Sterling have both had poor tournaments despite being instrumental to a rampant City side. Sane wasn't even able to make the squad, probably unfairly but still, he looked very poor in the friendlies Germany played before the tournament kicked off. It's potentially a big testament to Pep's system that two players can rack up goals/assists for fun when playing for them, but outside of it both have looked pretty ordinary. I know Jesus had a pretty good record for Brazil before the tournament, but players will never be judged on friendlies/qualifiers.

Do people think they're overrated? I've never rated Jesus as an 'elite' talent despite a lot of the hype, Sterling's statistics speak for themselves yet you can't help but think he's not quite as good as they would imply. Sane I do like, tore Trippier to ribbons when we played them, although in fairness quite a few wingers with real pace have done the same.

izec

It's so weird seeing United fans defend City players so much, surely this the one place we can take the micky out of their players not doing too great...or am i missing something?
Not if the player has quality. At least for City he is better, before the injury he was very good. He is no Karius

CA1

A decent player, with some great qualities liker Javier Hernandez has.

A real boil on the arse of the sport though. A horrible individual who brings the game into disrespute with his diving antics. He's had a horrible football moral up bringing with the likes of Neymar, Tite Guardiola, Aguero teaching him to cheat to gain an advantage.

the_irish123

Pep is ruining him and Sané. The other day he just destroyed whats left of his confidence.