Gabriel (Lille player) / signed for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

I would think going to Napoli (to potentially replace Koulibaly if he is sold) would make more sense.

But he is left footed and except for him and Torres, i have seen no proper links to CBs and they both are left footed. If we buy Sancho, i find it hard to believe we will spend 55-60m on a CB (Torres). So a cheaper option for 25m, would make more sense, especially if we go for Grealish or VdB as well. We are on a budget after all.

Red4Life_#7

The fact is - no one in the team beside Maguire is capable to play at LCB which resulted in Maguire playing every game including Tranmere Rovers.
The new LCB transfer first of all will give Maguire option to rest, and then we will see where it can go from there, he will not get the first team spot, will have to earn it.
So where did Lindelof play when he partnered Smalling for us at the back?

croadyman

Likes an AWB style tackle sometimes which he would need to be careful about using too much in the premier league and particularly champions league.

ghagua

Tuanzebe has disappeared from the face of the Earth, and Gabrielle and Badiashille have only managed to impress in a largely unimpressive league, but you're already planning on jettisoning our only consistently decent and injury-free centre-back of the past two seasons to accommodate them.

I don't understand why so many people have a problem with Lindelof. He had a shaky start to the season, but he's been at least as good as Maguire for the rest of the season, especially in our last and arguably most important game in which he was our best player.
You missed the part where he said " with Mengi also in the mix in a couple of years (at the expense of Lindelof?)" Meaning maybe Mengi may replace Lindelof in a couple of years. He did not advocate replacing Lindelof right away.

If there is a chance to get better players into the first team, I would replace any player who had a "decent" season. That is how you build a trophy-winning team.

DarkRed

So where did Lindelof play when he partnered Smalling for us at the back?
If I remember correctly they switched depending on opposition.

- Maguire played every minute of every league match and I would guess majority of all the cup games, why do you think that is?

wolvored

I agree... It would be foolish to sell Lindelof. He may not be my first choice to line up with Maguire but he's no slouch of a defender and could be a really good bench player or if any of our first choice CBs are injured, suspended or need to be rested, he could come in and do a good enough job. Tuanzebe although is good, the jury is still out of whether he can stay fit and perform consistently over the course of a season. But I think bringing in a CB is definitely important and Badiashile looks really good for the age that he is. He's tall, quick and he able to find a pass when closed down.

I think Smalling, Jones, Rojo need to leave right now. I would have liked to get rid of Bailly as well but with Tuanzebe and Bailly's failure to remain fit over the course of a season, we might be left a little light weight in defense.

Would like to have Bailly moved on as well. He's played 83 games in all competitions for us over the course of 4 seasons with the last season equating to 9 games in all competitions. He's averaged about 20 games per season in which United play around 62 games per season which is less than a third. For someone whose earning 80000/ week, that makes no sense and I don't even want get started with Jones. I rather we brought our youngsters through and use the wages to do some charity if anything.

My CBs for this upcoming season would be
Maguire, Badiashile, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Mengi
I think if you benched Lindelof now he would want a move.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Is he good defender ? because outside in France we know nothing about him
He's a centre back with good strength and pace. Although, not as strong as Maguire & Smalling, and not as rapid as Bailly.

His ball playing is nothing special from what I watch him (only watched him 2 matches). Not very good when under pressure.

He's not like Bailly but also not like Lindelof. So for people who thinks whether he's rush like Bailly, he's not.

His positioning is something he needs to improve. His awareness is also inconsistent, often I saw him looking around where his attackers, often I saw him just in panic mode unaware where his man is and just trying to block crossing. His anticipation skill when trying to clear the ball from crossing with either his feet & heading is probably one of his main asset.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Tier 1 source apparently. So arsenal in pole position to sign him now. Probably the most realistic move since Arsenal have a good relationship with Lille, Gabriel also being cheap and Arteta wanting a left footed CB.

tuk3r

Maybe Angel Gomes going to Lille could mean we have potential gentleman agreement or, swap deal plus cash for Gabriel? Going to watch this one closely :)

Acole9

Outstanding
Maybe Angel Gomes going to Lille could mean we have potential gentleman agreement or, swap deal plus cash for Gabriel? Going to watch this one closely :)
Gomes left on a free so there won't be any sort of deal.

ovoxo

Tier 1 source apparently. So arsenal in pole position to sign him now. Probably the most realistic move since Arsenal have a good relationship with Lille, Gabriel also being cheap and Arteta wanting a left footed CB.

Looks like it couldn’t be confirmed. I’m not convinced we’re definitely in for him yet as i’d have thought more of the UK press would have picked it up like Ducker, Stone, or Whitwell.

tuk3r

Ahh, apologies, had thought there was a year remaining on his contract. Doh!

Thanks

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Looks like it couldn’t be confirmed. I’m not convinced we’re definitely in for him yet as i’d have thought more of the UK press would have picked it up like Ducker, Stone, or Whitwell.
Aye, I can believe we're sounding out Badiashile as we've been tracking him for a few years (since his breakthrough at Monaco). But this is the first time i've heard us linked to Gabriel (in the last week or so). I'd be surprised if we went for this guy over Badiashile.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He must be shite if he’s a defender and Arsenal want him. Everton linked too? Avoid.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I swear he already plays for Arsenal. So confused.

Red4Life_#7

If I remember correctly they switched depending on opposition.

- Maguire played every minute of every league match and I would guess majority of all the cup games, why do you think that is?
Because he played there before we bought him and is more comfortable than Lindelof.

DevilRed

99% of people on here have never heard of this bloke prior to these rumours.

Makes me laugh that some of us want him when the extent of our knowledge is based on a youtube video.

red thru&thru

Carrying over from the Sancho thread, Castles and McGarry reckon Gabriel would prefer England and would like to play CL. He has no preference just as long as it's good money for him.

romufc

99% of people on here have never heard of this bloke prior to these rumours.

Makes me laugh that some of us want him when the extent of our knowledge is based on a youtube video.
How do you judge a CB from youtube is beyond me. If we are in for any CB, we better have scouted them for at least half a season.

Tbh, I have no idea which CB is good outside of England. City spending £41m on Ake suggests to me that the European contingent of CB is not the standard required for the PL.

red thru&thru

How do you judge a CB from youtube is beyond me. If we are in for any CB, we better have scouted them for at least half a season.

Tbh, I have no idea which CB is good outside of England. City spending £41m on Ake suggests to me that the European contingent of CB is not the standard required for the PL.
Well Ake has been bought as a back up and I think he knows this. For City, this is a straightforward transfer. Also, he knows the league and wouldn't need time to adapt. City's main target is Koulibaly.

Where as the likes of Gabriel would want to be starters and clubs who buy him know he would need time to adapt...which City wouldn't necessarily give.

Status
Not open for further replies.