Gabriel (Lille player) / signed for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Where as the likes of Gabriel would want to be starters and clubs who buy him know he would need time to adapt...which City wouldn't necessarily give.
Isn't that a huge risk for a club like Arsenal then? 2 CB's who have never played in the PL?

Saliba and Gabriel?

Bogga

This youtube thing is a funny story... you can make an average at best player look like the love child of Ronaldo and Maradona. But when you watch one of those youtube clips and still aren't impressed, that's when I start to worry.
  • The same clip shown 3-4 times from various directions, when they actually didn't even do something impressive
  • A really nice dribble, but you see they're about to lose the ball... and the clip ends just prior to them actually losing it
  • Half of the clips in the video aren't even something impressive to begin with
  • A defender never doing something that has any defending in it. Is he only good at the offensive parts?
  • A striker that scores 50% of his goals from penalties
You start to wonder. If you can't even do a 10 minute compilation video that actually impresses the one watching it, is he someone you'd want? The ones I've looked at when we were linked to them and felt that way recently was Pepe, Moussa Dembele and Lacazette.

With this said... Badiashile imressed me more than Gabriel based off the youtube vids :lol:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Isn't that a huge risk for a club like Arsenal then? 2 CB's who have never played in the PL?

Saliba and Gabriel?
They don’t have the luxury to go after established CBs. They don’t have the money, the pull of Champions League or the fact that they can pay high wages. They are rebuilding same as us and have to go the cheaper route. At least this way they are going after youngsters who can develop into good players rather than going for experienced mediocre players.

red thru&thru

They don’t have the luxury to go after established CBs. They don’t have the money, the pull of Champions League or the fact that they can pay high wages. They are rebuilding same as us and have to go the cheaper route. At least this way they are going after youngsters who can develop into good players rather than going for experienced mediocre players.

All of this...and I believe I read somewhere Saliba is going on loan again?

Welbeckham

This youtube thing is a funny story... you can make an average at best player look like the love child of Ronaldo and Maradona. But when you watch one of those youtube clips and still aren't impressed, that's when I start to worry.
  • The same clip shown 3-4 times from various directions, when they actually didn't even do something impressive
  • A really nice dribble, but you see they're about to lose the ball... and the clip ends just prior to them actually losing it
  • A defender never doing something that has any defending in it. Is he only good at the offensive parts?
You start to wonder. If you can't even do a 10 minute compilation video that actually impresses the one watching it, is he someone you'd want? The ones I've looked at when we were linked to them and felt that way recently was Pepe, Moussa Dembele and Lacazette.
People who edit those videos often don’t really understand football enough to point out, what’s impressive and what’s not. Those all touches from a single game videos are much more informative even if you can hardly judge player by one performance and just by the times he touches the ball. For me it was Fred who probably had the most underwhelming such videos, definitely didn’t want him based on that.

DevilRed

How do you judge a CB from youtube is beyond me. If we are in for any CB, we better have scouted them for at least half a season.

Tbh, I have no idea which CB is good outside of England. City spending £41m on Ake suggests to me that the European contingent of CB is not the standard required for the PL.
Ake is bang fecking average. I'd be shocked if he nailed down a starting eleven position in that citeh team. But then again, pep seems to have given up on ALL his defenders outside of laporte.

Not saying its a bad signing, but its hardly inspiring and ake has some obvious weaknesses which may or may not be masked in a possession heavy team.

GJNJ

With this said... Badiashile imressed me more than Gabriel based off the youtube vids :lol:
It's hard to make defensive positioning look sexy.

Tony247

I never judge by the hype video. Instead I search for something like every touch video of a game. That way you can judge the player way better because even mistakes are also captured.

romufc

Ake is bang fecking average. I'd be shocked if he nailed down a starting eleven position in that citeh team. But then again, pep seems to have given up on ALL his defenders outside of laporte.

Not saying its a bad signing, but its hardly inspiring and ake has some obvious weaknesses which may or may not be masked in a possession heavy team.
This is my point though, the lack of top quality CB's is there to be seen when you have to spend £40m on Ake.

MattofManchester

Even in his hype videos, he looked a bit clumsy and lacking balance. At least to me.

I don't see him or Torres being any kind of improvement on what we currently have.
Extra pace and being left footed are not worth taking more risks on further potential squad players in the hope they become World Class.

Centre backs are literally impossible to judge off of youtube videos, 99% of their job has nothing to do with highlights. Shows nothing about positioning and decision making. Even stats are a better analysis tool for that position.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not believing it for a minute.

NoMidfielders

Di Marzio isn’t the source he once was, I tend to assume his exclusives are wrong until confirmed by someone reliable. If this has any truth I’m sure we’ll see our journalists jump on it shortly.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Using us to up the offer from Napoli or Arsenal.

Nothing to see here.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Seems like our name being thrown into every scenario again. Will make Arsenal fans feel better thinking he’s rejected us before he turns out to be a donkey.

We do need a CB though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's been more than 2 years since the last time I remember Di Marzio ever been spot on. Wasn't he also fall for the De Ligt hype train last year?

Hoof the ball

Di Marzio isn’t the source he once was, I tend to assume his exclusives are wrong until confirmed by someone reliable. If this has any truth I’m sure we’ll see our journalists jump on it shortly.
Doesn't Romano work for Di Marzio, though? If Romano is reliable, then Di Marzio must be, also.

Nickelodeon

Can there be some truth to it? Apparently, a high potential left-footed CB is available for 22 million pounds. We are trying to look for a cheap signing in another position to manage funds for Sancho. Stranger things have happened.

Traub

Didn't Lille president come out and say it's between Arsenal and Napoli? Very strange to link us so late in the game.

MrSingh2002

feck it... sign him or preferably Badiashile as both are better than Lindelof or Smalling.

Delano

Pretty sure he did.
He used to be a contributor to Di Marzios site and he still reports the Sky Sports Italia news on Di Marzio's behalf. I'm pretty sure Di Marzio still is the "higher up" in that relationship.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Don’t tell Woody he wants his future wrapped up in 48 hours he thinks that means 6 weeks.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pretty sure he did.
May be in the past. But I remember last year Romano was terrible, got lot of wrong while Di Marzio was spot on.

Edit: The other way around, I meant Romano got it right while Di Marzio got lot of wrong.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think this link is about getting him more money at Arsenal. Napoli I thought were supposed to have offered more but he wanted to go the 8ths.

Hoof the ball

He used to be a contributor to Di Marzios site and he still reports the Sky Sports Italia news on Di Marzio's behalf. I'm pretty sure Di Marzio still is the "higher up" in that relationship.
Yeah, I think so too. Although Di Marzio's twitter activity has plummeted this past year whilst Romano's has sky-rocketed. I took that to mean that Di Marzio was focusing on overseeing his staff of contributors whilst Romano was filling Di Marzio's void.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s funny how random interneters have declared Di Marzio’s tweet as inaccurate from the get go. I mean, I don’t know either way of course, but people are treating this tweet as some sort of evidence that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.