Gabriel Martinelli

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Looks a player, think he's better than Greenwood tbh.

He had trials at United but we didn't go for him. Reminds me of Pato/Aguero when they just broke through.

kidbob

He had trials at United but we didn't go for him. Reminds me of Pato/Aguero when they just broke through.
Better than Depay too? Throw him into our shite and see how he looks with nobody to feed him the ball and nobody to pass to when he gets it. Looks a good player tonight to be fair to him but a 18 year old Rooney would look shite at the current United. Either way take out your jab at a United youngster and this is an OK post overall.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Better than Depay too? Throw him into our shite and see how he looks with nobody to feed him the ball and nobody to pass to when he gets it. Looks a good player tonight to be fair to him but a 18 year old Rooney would look shite at the current United. Either way take out your jab at a United youngster and this is an OK post overall.
Yep it's sad that not a thread can go by without a dig at someone associated with Man Utd. Even 17 year olds aren't exempt from the jibes

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t be so sensitive. It’s not a jab at all. If he thinks Martinelli is better then that’s what he thinks. There will be football players better than Mason Greenwood. Including young ones.

kidbob

Don’t be so sensitive. It’s not a jab at all. If he thinks Martinelli is better then that’s what he thinks. There will be football players better than Mason Greenwood. Including young ones.
Not sensitive, just think it's stupid to form an opinion based off of a limited data source is all. As @charlenefan said he could have made this thread focused on Martinelli alone instead of trolling for a response with a jibe at a young player playing in a dysfunctional situation. If I say Martinelli is better than Pogba then I'm wrong but Martinelli tonight was better than I've seen Pogba play for United, so he's better than Pogba I guess.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Yep it's sad that not a thread can go by without a dig at someone associated with Man Utd. Even 17 year olds aren't exempt from the jibes
It's not a dig, I like Greenwood a lot and I think he'll have a good career.

I look at Martinelli and I see him as a player that can be in that elite bracket. You need to stop being so sensitive to posts, it's just an opinion on two prospects.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Yeah because Arsenal really lined up some worldies tonight.

Charles Miller

He is a winger. They are playing him as 9, but he is not similar to Greenwood.

Zoo

He is a winger. They are playing him as 9, but he is not similar to Greenwood.
Yeah but they are young and fresh on the scene so we must compare them and decide who is the best once and for all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sensitive, just think it's stupid to form an opinion based off of a limited data source is all. As @charlenefan said he could have made this thread focused on Martinelli alone instead of trolling for a response with a jibe at a young player playing in a dysfunctional situation. If I say Martinelli is better than Pogba then I'm wrong but Martinelli tonight was better than I've seen Pogba play for United, so he's better than Pogba I guess.
Both are 18 year old strikers. Saying one is better than the other (in his opinion) is not ‘trolling’. To see it as such is being sensitive. His post wasn’t a post about Mason Greenwood. Comparison is common place in football, and comparing two strikers of similar status is a lot more understandable than arbitrarily comparing one to Paul Pogba. Plenty of other midfielders are compared to Paul Pogba though.

Lee565

Arsenal and Chelsea attacking young players thriving under Emery and Lampard this season, then you see our young attacking players under Ole and they are struggling.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I think MyOnlySolskjaer is making a fair point. Greenwood has played 8 and scored 2 for United. Martinelli has played 3 and scored 4. And Martinelli has scored playing in teams full of kids. It's a fair comparison imo. I have no idea why United rejected him, he recently even trained with the senior Brazil national team - how many 18-year olds can say that?

3KDré

Greenwood doesn't look as physically complete yet as he does. I think that's the difference between two more than anything. That and Greenwood plays in one of the poorest attacks in the top 10.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Greenwood doesn't look as physically complete yet as he does. I think that's the difference between two more than anything. That and Greenwood plays in one of the poorest attacks in the top 10.
Are you seriously suggesting that Arsenal's starting line-ups vs Std Liege and Forest are stronger than anything Greenwood has played with at United? Also, the two players are same age and height, but it's not just physique. Martinelli is technically a much more complete player than Greenwood. Just look at his shooting technique, aerial superiority, dribbling, pace, and movement on and off the ball. It's much more difficult for a defender to track him than Greenwood.

Last edited:

3KDré

Are you seriously suggesting that Arsenal's starting line-ups vs Std Liege and Forest are stronger than anything Greenwood has played with at United? They are same age and height, and it's not just physique. Martinelli is technically a much more complete player than Greenwood. Just look at his shooting technique, aerial superiority, dribbling, pace, and movement on and off the ball. It's very difficult for a defender to track him.
I am suggesting we are poorly coached offensively, and Arsenal are not. We are also a lot easier to nullify when we play with Mata and Gomes alongside James and Greenwood and we have a lot less supply to our forwards when we play with Fred and Matic.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I am suggesting we are poorly coached offensively, and Arsenal are not. We are also a lot easier to nullify when we play with Mata and Gomes alongside James and Greenwood and we have a lot less supply to our forwards when we play with Fred and Matic.
You've obviously not watched us play. Our football under Emery has been shite.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
You've obviously not watched us play. Our football under Emery has been shite.
Arsenal have largely abandoned the tippy-tappy stuff, but it's unfair to say they are now sheet, because their results (which is the only thing that matters in football) are definitely better this season than in the last two, which is a sign of improvement. If a team is winning it makes no sense to describe their football as sheet.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sorry to go off topic, but does Mason have older brothers? Any baseline to compare him to?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Having a player that can score headers off crosses that are hit hard is nice, and with Tierney whipping them in there may be a nice partnership forming.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
In relativity there is no way you can compare how we pass the ball about to how you do.
As boring and tumescent as we have been we just don't compare to what Ole has United playing.

I have little faith in Emery, and I'm not saying this to WUM anyone on here, but I'm bitterly disappointed that we didn't beat you on the weekend. I reckon United could become a pub team relegated to the conference and we'd still not be able to win at OT.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
One advantage of the Europa over the CL is giving a platform to younger players to play and excel. Both Martinelli and Saka have looked sensational in the Europa and League Cup and Nelson and Willock have been decent. Having all these Europa games gives them significant gametime over what they'd get just playing in the League Cup. They probably aren't ready to play significant PL minutes and they probably would not have the same success they've having in the Europa, but this prepares them for the step up to the PL in time

Arsenal have largely abandoned the tippy-tappy stuff, but it's unfair to say they are now sheet, because their results (which is the only thing that matters in football) are definitely better this season than in the last two, which is a sign of improvement. If a team is winning it makes no sense to describe their football as sheet.
Arsenal's results have been deceptive. We have conceeded the most shots against us than any other PL team this season. We've also created very few chances and generally have been bailed out by our strikers

Most Arsenal fans want Emery out at this stage

Steve Bruce

It's far too early to come to any conclusion. You could be right, but just look at how Rashford started out.

Clanrickard

Supports
Arsenal
One advantage of the Europa over the CL is giving a platform to younger players to play and excel. Both Martinelli and Saka have looked sensational in the Europa and League Cup and Nelson and Willock have been decent. Having all these Europa games gives them significant gametime over what they'd get just playing in the League Cup. They probably aren't ready to play significant PL minutes and they probably would not have the same success they've having in the Europa, but this prepares them for the step up to the PL in time

Arsenal's results have been deceptive. We have conceeded the most shots against us than any other PL team this season. We've also created very few chances and generally have been bailed out by our strikers

Completely untrue. Most fans want to wait and see what happens.

Bobbypires

Supports
Arsenal
One of the best headers of the ball that I have seen, and he just turned 18.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic

Really? Any polls to support that? What I have discerned from some Arsenal fan boards is that the "sack Emery" calls seem to come from those fans still angry about Wenger's sacking. I think the Arsenal board will wait to see how the new coach and new structure performs instead of rushing to sack him so soon. Klopp is in his 5th season at Liverpool but only won his first trophy for Liverpool 4 months ago. Yet he is the world's best manager.

Last edited:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I'm sure he will have his ups and downs but he has looked really promising. He has a very mature game for his age - movement, awareness, and technique. The game is slow for him, whereas its too fast for most players at that age.

He played mainly as a winger in Brazil but he has looked like a natural 9 in his limited game action with Arsenal - great instincts in the box and could have had another couple goals last night but missed getting on the end of crosses by an inch.

All that said, he really needs a run of games in the league and then we'll have a better measure of his development.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The sad part is if he develops well we won't be able to keep it and he will probably go to Barcelona.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The sad part is if he develops well we won't be able to keep it and he will probably go to Barcelona.
But on the flip side if he becomes that good he'd probably drag you to a title (or very close) before leaving.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Between him and Nketiah we're gonna have to make the right decisions at the right time. Auba and Lacazette will need to be replaced and they surely won't be ready to take over straight away. We'll have to make the right buy and convince them to stick around if they develop well enough. Martinelli could find a spot on the wings, Nketiah not so much.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Really? Any polls to support that? What I have discerned from some Arsenal fan boards is that the "sack Emery" calls seem to come from those fans still angry about Wenger's sacking. I think the Arsenal board will wait to see how the new coach and new structure performs instead of rushing to sack him so soon. Klopp is in his 5th season at Liverpool but only won his first trophy for Liverpool 4 months ago. Yet he is the world's best manager.
I mean you can look at the evolution of this thread, the last month everyone wants him out pretty much, it's just when rather than if anyone wants to keep him

https://www.onlinearsenal.com/t/unai-emery/2361/7715

Obiously with it being an internet forum, opinions maybe more extreme than the average fan

A quick look on AFTV (not really watching them and no disrespect with them think they should beat United):