Gabriel Obertan | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Gabriel Obertan signs with Manchester United

Reds sign French starlet

Sir Alex Ferguson has made Bordeaux's Gabriel Obertan United's third signing of the summer, after the promising young Frenchman signed a four-year deal at Old Trafford.

The 20-year-old's contract keeps him at Old Trafford until at least June 2013, and Sir Alex revealed Obertan, who can play in a variety of attacking positions, is a player whose progress he has followed for some time.

"Gabriel is a player we have tracked for a few years now, but because of his educational programme our efforts to get him here have always been delayed," the Reds boss told ManUtd.com.

"We are delighted to get him now as he is an exciting prospect. We like to get young players and develop them, and we will see that in Gabriel over the next two years."

Gabriel admits he jumped at the chance to join the Barclays Premier League champions.

“I am very happy to join Manchester United," he told us. "This is a big opportunity for me to play at such a great club. I am very excited to be here and I look forward to proving what I can do."

However, the club has confirmed that due to a slight injury which needs attention, Gabriel will not travel on the pre-season tour.

devilish

What's wrong with the other thread?

Did it get deleted?

Obertan is a United player now. He deserves a thread in the Manchester United forum.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Reds sign French starlet

Sir Alex Ferguson has made Bordeaux's Gabriel Obertan United's third signing of the summer, after the promising young Frenchman signed a four-year deal at Old Trafford.

The 20-year-old's contract keeps him at Old Trafford until at least June 2013, and Sir Alex revealed Obertan, who can play in a variety of attacking positions, is a player whose progress he has followed for some time.

"Gabriel is a player we have tracked for a few years now, but because of his educational programme our efforts to get him here have always been delayed," the Reds boss told ManUtd.com.

"We are delighted to get him now as he is an exciting prospect. We like to get young players and develop them, and we will see that in Gabriel over the next two years."

Gabriel admits he jumped at the chance to join the Barclays Premier League champions.

“I am very happy to join Manchester United," he told us. "This is a big opportunity for me to play at such a great club. I am very excited to be here and I look forward to proving what I can do."

However, the club has confirmed that due to a slight injury which needs attention, Gabriel will not travel on the pre-season tour.
:(

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Obertan is a United player now. He deserves a thread in the Manchester United forum.
But not one that is just confirming the TRANSFER, has the same name as the TRANSFER thread, and says nothing new.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's beginning to smell like summer 2003 in here.
Oh I dunno. We know what we're gonna get with Owen (if he stays fit) and Valencia.

Hopefully Obertan is a rough diamond waiting to be polished.

....that said, I'm waiting for the backlash when the bulk of this 80 million isn't spent. I already saw some head of some supporters trust or something on tv the other day giving it the large one about how the Glazers are sitting on 100m plus and they expect it all to be used on transfers....immediately :rolleyes:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
glad it's done and out the way. Shame about missing the tour but thankfully there will be plenty of other pre season games for him .

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Introducing... Gabriel Obertan

United’s new signing may be something of an unknown quantity in England, but over in France they’ve been singing his praises for years.

In fact, Gabriel Obertan was being tipped for the top long before he even made his senior debut for Bordeaux as a 17-year-old.

So what sort of player is the France U21 international? And what can United fans expect from his first season at Old Trafford? To find out, we spoke exclusively to BBC 5Live’s European football expert Andy Brassell...

How highly rated is Obertan in France?
He’s a terrific player, although, to be honest, I think some people in France are quite surprised by the transfer. He’s been on the cusp of something great at Bordeaux for a while now – he made his debut at 17 – but he hasn’t quite kicked on and forced himself into the side on a regular basis. Despite that, I think he’ll be a really good fit at United.

What are his main attributes?
He’s a very versatile player and the way United play you need your frontmen to be mobile and flexible. He’s a right-sided attacker, but he can also drop back into midfield or play as a second striker. He could probably also play in central midfield, and I expect his adaptability is one reason Sir Alex was interested in him. He went through the famous Clairefontaine football academy so he has a lot of technical ability and he’s also very quick.

So he’s not a like-for-like replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo?
No, I don’t think you can compare him to Ronaldo or claim he’ll be a direct replacement – they’re different sorts of players. However, like Ronaldo when he first came to England, there’s an element of the unknown around Obertan, which could work in his favour. Remember, though, Obertan’s played about 100 first-team games already and he’s played in the Champions League, so he has decent experience under his belt. In that sense, he’s maybe better prepared for England than Ronaldo was when he first arrived. Obertan also understands his attributes very well: he’s direct and has plenty of tricks, but he’s not going to over-elaborate or do them for the sake of showing off.

Are we talking about a future star?
Well, a lot of people in France think he could become something really special. He hasn’t quite progressed at the rate people had hoped after his debut at 17, but he’s also been a little bit unlucky. Last year, for instance, Bordeaux played Roma in the Champions League and Obertan started terrifically. Bordeaux went 1-0 up and things were looking really good. But then their centre-back was sent off and Obertan was sacrificed for a defender and Bordeaux ended up losing. Similar things have happened on one or two other occasions and there was a feeling that it just wasn’t going to happen for him at Bordeaux, a feeling that luck just wasn’t going his way.

He was sent out on loan to FC Lorient for the second half of 2008/09. They’re not exactly a big club…That’s true, but he did very well at Lorient. And the fact that Bordeaux sent him on loan to a struggling side shouldn’t be seen as a negative. I think it served two purposes: it said to him that he needed to play more games and start making some progress, but it also would have provided a valuable education. Lorient are a modest club without bells or whistles – he would have been forced to work hard there and roll his sleeves up and get stuck in. While he was there he played for France U21s against England U21s in Nottingham. France won that night, Obertan was the best player on the park and scored the first goal. That performance was a good indication of what he’s capable of.

Realistically, how much can United fans expect to see him this season?
He’s relatively unknown so I don’t think too much will be expected of him. There won’t be too much pressure. I see it almost as a free season for him to ease himself into the club. I definitely wouldn’t like to see him go out on loan – he has such fantastic players to learn from at United and because he’s tall, pacy and has tricks I think he’ll work really well as an impact substitute against tired defenders. I can see him playing about 25 games this season.

Can he cope with the rigours of the English game?
Absolutely. I think the French league, in general, is a great finishing school for life in England. It’s physically tougher than most other leagues in Europe – certainly the Spanish, Portuguese, German or Italian leagues – so that helps players prepare for the Premier League. Most players who have come from France to England are quite physical and get stuck in – people like Drogba and Essien at Chelsea and even Bassong at Newcastle. Obertan is a big guy – 6ft 1in – he’s quick and he can handle himself against defenders. I think that’s something that would have really appealed to United.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={6DDFCB6E-3471-4E45-9385-F04D05F4A70D}&newsid=6635854

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
United buy a new kidney bean head type player. Good news.

devilish

But not one that is just confirming the TRANSFER, has the same name as the TRANSFER thread, and says nothing new.
the transfer forum is there to discuss transfer rumours. Once a player becomes a Manchester United player then he should be discussed in here.

Sir Alex has clearly seen something in him and believes that we can bring out his true potential. He has all the attributes needed to become a top player and lets hope we see the best of him.

:devil: Welcome to Manchester United, Gabriel Obertan! :devil:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
the transfer forum is there to discuss transfer rumours. Once a player becomes a Manchester United player then he should be discussed in here.
Hate to say it, but I actually agree. The transfer threads often descend into such numerous pages of farce that it is impossible to get any information from them. I come to the United forum for confirmation and definitives the transfer forum for speculation and rumour.

Addis

Beckham, in toward Schmeichel, it's come for Dwigh
I've finally figured out the solution to this little problem we've had.

Change his name to Overtan. Just one letter radically changes to the meaning of the name, making it sound a bit like Overmars.

Hope he does well here, shame we're not going to see him in pre-season. I'm still hoping for more transfers.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Good read that, quite reassuring even if it is obviously biased and focusing on the positives. Have to say I know nothing about this kid, but it's always exciting to see raw young players bought in, and if he is tall and pacey then he already has a great advantage. Nice to know we have been following him for some time as well, he must have some talent no matter how raw if we have stuck with him for so long. All in all seems quite an exciting signing, even if I have never seen him play before

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Saw him play against the England Under 21s and he definitely did catch my eye. Sounds like he has a lot to offer and hopefully under the right guidance he can be a terrific player for us. Wonder how much he will play for us next season?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I agree with this - I think it should be the standard procedure to discuss potential targets in the Transfer Forum and then start a new thread here once a signing is confirmed

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
Viva Obertan,
Viva Obertan,
He's a random french twat,
How about that!
Viva Obertan!

Virtuoso

Good to see a thread in the United section and especially with his name spelt correctly at least.

Great news, hope for the best for him and I think he will do very well given time and patience. Hopefully he can show some confidence and not be overwhelmed because the pressure will be on but he needs to believe in his ability and keep working on his game. Seen him play at the Toulon tournament and against England U21s, been impressed with his performances though haven't seen enough to really judge - he's not just all about pace though because his control and dribbling skills look pretty darn good, went to the Clairefontaine academy too.

The "slight injury" must have been what delayed the transfer going through yesterday, the medical staff probably wanted to have a proper look and see the extent of the injury.

Sir A1ex

The fact that Bordeaux sent him on loan to a struggling side shouldn’t be seen as a negative. I think it served two purposes: it said to him that he needed to play more games and start making some progress, but it also would have provided a valuable education. Lorient are a modest club without bells or whistles – he would have been forced to work hard there and roll his sleeves up and get stuck in.
Oh, hang on... the new Kieron Richardson?

Sir A1ex

I agree with this - I think it should be the standard procedure to discuss potential targets in the Transfer Forum and then start a new thread here once a signing is confirmed
I think it's time we started a new forum specifically for discussing which forums other threads should be in. And then banned such talk outside of that forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.