Gabriel Obertan | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

championo

Top Stalker
Yeah, I'm a bit mystified by these attacks. I just watched the game, as I was away on Sat. He was no better or worse than anyone else on the pitch.

My expectations were shockingly low, not just for Obertan, but the entire team based on the threads. People on here calling it the worst performance they've seen in years. fecking amazing. The midfield and strikers played on a level I've seen them play numerous times this year. Could have easily had 4 or 5 goals. Finishing wasn't there.

The defense was shit, which was mostly our second string. Evra had one of his worst games, but overall, it wasn't the horrible performance it has been made out as, particularly Obertan.
I think it was the low they felt after the impressive midweek game.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Park is a far, far better player than Obertan.

Park may not provide a telling cross or beat 2 or 3 men and whip a ball across goal but his off the ball movement and intricate short passing is a lot more effective than bambi on ice's run as quick and as awkwardly as possible towards the corner flag approach.
That is not even in question.. I have never said Obertan is a better player.. But I think Obertan completely deserved his chance.. He has been impressing for the reserves.. When will he get a chance? Both Giggs and Nani were out this is a perfect time to give him an opportunity.. Also IMO Obertan was more likely to create something out of the two.. Park had over 65 mins to do something and he failed so what's the harm in giving him a 20-25 min run out?

No, I didn't mean the Berbatov / Scholes subtitution - I meant this one. Obertan has shown he's not ready for this sort of game. I'd have taken Park off, but brought Owen on and shunted Rooney to the left.
As I said above when else will Obertan get his chance? If he is not given a chance how will he get 'ready for this sort of game'? Both of Nani and Giggs were out & he performed well in the last reserve game he played and Park did feck all when he was on the pitch for more than 3/4 of the game.. Completely fair substitution IMO.

Also I am not a fan of pushing Rooney out to the left.. But SAF could have pushed Fletch to the left and put Scholes on for Park thus still playing a 4-4-2 with Berba and Rooney upfront and Carrick and Scholes in the middle..

MDFC Manager

To me he seems like player who would tend to struggle unless given a continuous run of games. I mean most players would but he probably would struggle a bit more.

Shimo

As I said above when else will Obertan get his chance? If he is not given a chance how will he get 'ready for this sort of game'? Both of Nani and Giggs were out & he performed well in the last reserve game he played and Park did feck all when he was on the pitch for more than 3/4 of the game.. Completely fair substitution IMO.
Chasing for 3 points at Goodison Park is probably not the best place. Games like West Ham at home or where we are leading where he can be more free.

The gamble may have worked out but, it's a gamble with small odds, much like Macheda was - in that case it worked out for us.

My feeling his form in the reserves while it may be good won't translate to the first team till he plays some good games against teams we are either beating or dominating. Then once he has that confidence, he can be brought on as an impact sub even in the higher profile games as he does seem to have ability to create some magic.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Chasing for 3 points at Goodison Park is probably not the best place. Games like West Ham at home or where we are leading where he can be more free.

The gamble may have worked out but, it's a gamble with small odds, much like Macheda was - in that case it worked out for us.

My feeling his form in the reserves while it may be good won't translate to the first team till he plays some good games against teams we are either beating or dominating. Then once he has that confidence, he can be brought on as an impact sub even in the higher profile games as he does seem to have ability to create some magic.
& I am not saying that it is.. But what other option did we have? We had only 2 fit 1st team wingers.. Park managed to do nothing creatively So I still think SAF was right to put him on.. And as you said it is a gamble but I reckon it was a gamble worth taking.. If it doesn't work the player learns from his mistakes (he didn't make many though) and if it works the team and him will reap the dividends.. Its a win win situation in my eyes..

I totally expect him to feature tonight as well either from the start or as a sub..

Edit: & there SAF goes and ruins everything I said by dropping the lad from the entire squad itself..

REd FUn DevIl

So where the feck has the fecker gone? injured?
He was in the squad that travelled to Munich, i guess is just that Fergie doesnt rate him. I havent seen him play since the Wolfsburg game. Who knows why do we keep buying players we are not gonna use. Its stupid if u ask me

askabob

He was in the squad that travelled to Munich, i guess is just that Fergie doesnt rate him. I havent seen him play since the Wolfsburg game. Who knows why do we keep buying players we are not gonna use. Its stupid if u ask me
He's only 21 ffs!

Aboutreika18

:lol:

You obviously haven't been watching then.

Started the 3-0 win over Wolves and came on as a substitute against Hull.

Then he started the defeat to Leeds before coming on as a sub against Everton.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
As said before he's bloody young. Give the lad a chance.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Of course he rates him that's why he bought him. Wasn't it Fergie who said that knew "his pros and cons but was only interested in his potential". Do you really think that he'd have given up on this potential in such a short time. Just because we don't use young lads immediately doesn't mean we're not going to use them at all.

Give the lad chance to develop before you make such statements.

Devil may care

When he came on against Everton he was coming off the back of a very well received performance in the reserves, but he looked very nervous and treat the ball like it was on fire. I remember reading when we got him that his biggest problems were mental, I guess this means he lacks confidence, in time hopefully Fergie and the United training staff can build that self belief up.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If he's been judged as shit, I must have missed the games in which he was shit.

I didn't miss the games.
He was shit against Leeds in the FA Cup.
Look out for white text​

Carl

I wasn't really replying to your post, but someone somewhere has decided that he isn't good enough. The whole team were shit against Leeds, I wouldn't expect him to stand out as a shining beacon amongst that shite.
Oh :)

Tribec

He was shit against Leeds in the FA Cup.
Look out for white text​
Name me a United player that wasn't in that game!

Obertan arrived with an injury and I have no idea what sort of pre-season he got before he played a game. Which may have played a part of his form this season. He's come from a different country tried to settle in, make an impression whilst not being fit and none of us have an idea of how's he's settling to living in Manchester.

In the games where he's played well, he's shown enough potential as to not be written off just yet. The way his game has dipped up and down has been similar to the way Nani arrived and to a lesser extent Ronaldo on his arrival. We need to be patient with him, and at least give him to the end of next season before we really make a judgement. It's only in his 3rd season that Nani is becoming flavour of the month, Ronaldo only showed real consistency after 2 or 3 years in England. Don't forget the Caf's second and third favourite players after Rooney, being Evra and Vidic, well didn't exactly set the world alight when they first came over did they.

Carl

Obertan arrived with an injury and I have no idea what sort of pre-season he got before he played a game. Which may have played a part of his form this season. He's come from a different country tried to settle in, make an impression whilst not being fit and none of us have an idea of how's he's settling to living in Manchester.

In the games where he's played well, he's shown enough potential as to not be written off just yet. The way his game has dipped up and down has been similar to the way Nani arrived and to a lesser extent Ronaldo on his arrival. We need to be patient with him, and at least give him to the end of next season before we really make a judgement. It's only in his 3rd season that Nani is becoming flavour of the month, Ronaldo only showed real consistency after 2 or 3 years in England. Don't forget the Caf's second and third favourite players after Rooney, being Evra and Vidic, well didn't exactly set the world alight when they first came over did they.

I was answering a simple question with a simple answer.

When was he shit? Against Leeds.

Do you disagree?

kundalini

Agree with this.

Obertan has technical ability and decent pace so that's a start. But football is a team game and so much of it revolves around understanding your role in the side, contributing to the defensive side of the game, knowing when to pass, when to shoot, when to dribble, when to cross. There are numerous holes in Obertan's game that need work; I would imagine that United are trying to develop aspects of his game and hope that they can turn him into a genuine United player before he gets so fed up with a lack of time on the pitch that he decides to move on; much the same could be said about Welbeck, Fabio and numerous other players on the fringe of the squad.

Crerand Legend

Now I hope I am wrong but I cant see him making it here and looks like going down as another poor buy. We have been going for economy rather than quality recently and it showed on Saturday, we had few options to freshen the team

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He will make it here. Getting a young player such as him ready for first team football at OT is a longer process than some seem to think. It takes time and I expect to see more playing time for him next season.

I also think we may have to find a central role for him, something along the lines of withdrawn striker as I'm not convinced he is actually a winger.

OneUnited24

Difficult to judge him really, in the reserves he looks quality but for the first team i dont think hes shown much. Against Wolfsburg we saw the ability he may have to offer but i'll be honest i havent seen him and thought wow, like i do when i see Welbeck or Kiko.

But hes not featured much and came to us with a injury that his old club didnt check out so hes probably working back to full fitness

RemiMoses

I think its harsh to say he isnt good enough. He played well before that Leeds game but Nani, Park and Valencia have hit form since then.

Does need to work on his finishing though.

Nathan

I think he is a player for the future, lets give people a chance to settle, find there feet and form.

The last thing he needs is unneccessary pressure from us.

RK

He's not very good when the ball's in the air. And that's being kind.

Good pace and awareness though.

Haven't seen enough to give a valid opinion overall though.

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
His main problem has been that he's not a team player and doesn't work back. If he's playing shit it's like having ten men. If your name is ronaldo the team can carry your presence. Obertan not so much. Ability isn't always enough.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
His main problem has been that he's not a team player and doesn't work back. If he's playing shit it's like having ten men. If your name is ronaldo the team can carry your presence. Obertan not so much. Ability isn't always enough.
this is very true

and he has a terrible shooting technique, which is quite worrying

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yeah he's only got about 10-12 years of playing time left.

What a waste.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Obertan from what he's shown has a lot of promise but I think it will take time. We need to polish him off a bit. If he could improve his finishing, he could be a great player for the club but you need games for fitness and confidence and he's not played that many

Status
Not open for further replies.