Gabriel Obertan | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saq

he is unstoppable in my master league 2012 season:drool:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Ive thought he has looked very promising in his first team appearanes. Im not sure what people are expecting from a teenager from France to do in his first season in the EPL for one of the biggest clubs in the world - but to label him as a **** or anything akin to that is ridiculous.

I would rather we invest in some quality players rather than constant youth transfers though I must admit. And after the Ljajic (and possibly Tosic) affair you cant help but be a bit sceptical of our scouts of late. Still, he should be given a chance.

I cant imagine Giggs playing on the wing next season, so that means:

Nani, Valencia, Park, Tosic, Obertan, Welbeck are our potential wingers. If Nani can really prove himself to be able to consistently perform, we are in pretty good shape based on that. I cant imagine us buying a new winger without letting one of those ones go though - Tosic is the main suspect there, if we got rid of him and got Joe Cole in on a free then we would have a good array of players there - especially considering Cole and Park can play in the middle, and Welbeck up front.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
So is this a case of the caf writing off a player who's still a kid?

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
Very exciting young player who has been battling with injuries of late and was playing in the french league and now has to play here under immense scrutiny. The transition isnt easy especially for players who are still developing.
Personally I think he has a lot of talent and what with the miniscule sporadic minutes he has had with the first team, it shouldnt be enough to banish him already.
Its a bit puzzling though, people on here moan all the time about the need for flamboyant players and now that we have this prospect who has a decent chance of succeeding here, no one is ready to be patient. If anything he looks a level above the reserves, so he hopefully shouldnt need much time anyway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's got a great potential but he was unfortunately injured at the start of the season and that is to never be underestimated when a new player arrives in a new country (and club).
He will improve and impress, I'm sure of that but the real question is if he'll be given time to flourish.There are not many kids who could come in a club and perform instantly, they're one of the rarest thing in football

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I am fully in favour of sending him on loan next season preferably to a PL club.. But for some fecking reason we rarely have any player out on loan to PL clubs..

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
By us you mean pretty much every top team in this league? Wilshire's been the only useful loan I can think of, Di Santo and Senderos haven't exactly been huge successes.

It's not like we're ignoring something that's a guaranteed success.

Brophs

The One and Only
He has potential, but he's very, very raw.

He needs a lot of games, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing him do a year on loan in the PL.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
By us you mean pretty much every top team in this league? Wilshire's been the only useful loan I can think of, Di Santo and Senderos haven't exactly been huge successes.

It's not like we're ignoring something that's a guaranteed success.
I don't know the success rate or lack of but I am just a fan of it.. I think its more of a challenge than the championship obviously I guess off late we don't have many players that are ready to challenge at that level.. I thought Tosic would do well at a PL club, Welbeck could have gone to one too.. Lets see perhaps next season we could see a few more players with a chance to go on loan to PL clubs..

Tosic
Obertan
Cleverly
Welbeck
Macheda
De Laet

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think De Laet and Cleverly have enough about them to do it for a lower level Premier League team but the rest still have a lot of development to go so they're still better off here for now I think, and then it's about finding a team that plays football which is only really Wigan or Bolton.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
When he came on against Everton he was coming off the back of a very well received performance in the reserves, but he looked very nervous and treat the ball like it was on fire. I remember reading when we got him that his biggest problems were mental, I guess this means he lacks confidence, in time hopefully Fergie and the United training staff can build that self belief up.
A pre season will do wonders to his performance levels and confidence. Just you wait.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I think De Laet and Cleverly have enough about them to do it for a lower level Premier League team but the rest still have a lot of development to go so they're still better off here for now I think, and then it's about finding a team that plays football which is only really Wigan or Bolton.
That's true..

I think Welbeck will be in line for a loan surely.. Considering how well he did on his spell with Ferguson Jr.. Surely a PL club will want him..

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I like Obertan, I think with conditioning and bulking up he will be a dangerous player. However I think if Nani progresses along the same path he has been this season then Obertan will have his work cut out getting many games

oleonenumber20

I like Obertan, I think with conditioning and bulking up he will be a dangerous player. However I think if Nani progresses along the same path he has been this season then Obertan will have his work cut out getting many games
yeah but with Giggs getting on and Park playing more in in the centre of the Park I believe Obertan will get his chance

wr8_utd

:'(
Really good goal.

Looked good today whenever i saw the game. Good bit of skills. Maybe we SHOULD try him in the hole behind berbatov or ahead of him.

Fazer

Really good goal.

Looked good today whenever i saw the game. Good bit of skills. Maybe we SHOULD try him in the hole behind berbatov or ahead of him.
Maybe we should try him instead of Berbatov?? At least we know he will run his socks off.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I saw a little bit of the match, but his work-rate was pretty good also, he was quickly closing down the players, tracking back, doing all those things which he wasn't doing for the first team. Good thing that he's progressing well

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sensational.. always said once this kid learns how to kick a ball, hes got a big chance of being a part of the first team.

How is his crossing coming along?

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
A weird time for a bump but watching the Germans the other day and in particular the way Thomas Muller went about his business just motivated me to renew my call for Obertan to just find time and watch a few clips of the lad in action. Ober has the tools to be better than Muller but for the time being he could benefit from watching the "allegedly" 21 year old(feck me he plays like a 28 year old vast experienced pro).

I think I am slowly becoming a Thomas Muller fanboi.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Agree, Muller certainly looked good at times.

Obertan has the potential to become a VERY good player, he still of course lacks confidence and his injury certainly didn't help him progress.

A preseason and hopefully a good run of substitutes should do him good and of course the Carling cup games.

Status
Not open for further replies.