Gabriel Obertan | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMancRedDevil

And another thing! (I knew there was something else).

You're an up and coming player who is often played out on the wing and some people believe that your reading of the game isn't as good as it should be. You're sat next to a wing legend. The player with the appearance record for Manchester United. The player who has more experience than any other at United.

Given that you're sat next to him for a full 90 minutes watching the game. What do you do?

a) Listen to you iPod.

b) Pick his brains. Ask him what he's seeing out there? Ask him where he would run? Who he would pass to? etc etc etc

Sir A1ex

And another thing! (I knew there was something else).

You're an up and coming player who is often played out on the wing and some people believe that your reading of the game isn't as good as it should be. You're sat next to a wing legend. The player with the appearance record for Manchester United. The player who has more experience than any other at United.

Given that you're sat next to him for a full 90 minutes watching the game. What do you do?

a) Listen to you iPod.

b) Pick his brains. Ask him what he's seeing out there? Ask him where he would run? Who he would pass to? etc etc etc
That's not another thing, I made that point ages ago, but apparently it's irrelevant.:smirk:

Sir A1ex

BTW - they showed a slightly longer clip on MOTD2, and Bebe puts his phone away in his pocket within seconds, so as suspected he's off the hook, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Surprisingly enough though, Obertan didn't take his headphones off within the duration of the clip.

TheMancRedDevil

That's not another thing, I made that point ages ago, but apparently it's irrelevant.:smirk:
Sorry, I must have missed it.

Well, the fact that it crossed both of our minds despite usually being poles apart in our views suggests that there will have been many others in between who thought the same.

Sir A1ex

Sorry, I must have missed it.

Well, the fact that it crossed both of our minds despite usually being poles apart in our views suggests that there will have been many others in between who thought the same.
I wouldn't say our views on most issues are usually poles apart, it's just that you're irredeemably, massively wrong and myopic on one particular point.:smirk:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wouldn't say our views on most issues are usually poles apart, it's just that you're irredeemably, massively wrong and myopic on one particular point.:smirk:
Another thing you two have in common then ;)

TheMancRedDevil

:lol:

I think you will find that on the one issue we have clashed over in the past, the opposite was the case. :smirk:

But's let's leave this one where it should be eh? :)

lynchie

Looks like Giggsy's just stuffing his phone in his pocket there as well.

Amir

We've discussed that before. Do remember he sees Ryan everyday in training, has surely sat next to him in matches, and must have talked with him once or twice...

TheMancRedDevil

We've discussed that before. Do remember he sees Ryan everyday in training, has surely sat next to him in matches, and must have talked with him once or twice...
Fair enough. I couldn't really give a shit to be honest. It's his career, he can do what he wants with it. If he'd rather listen to some shit on his iPod than talk to Ryan Giggs, that's cool.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Fair enough. I couldn't really give a shit to be honest. It's his career, he can do what he wants with it. If he'd rather listen to some shit on his iPod than talk to Ryan Giggs, that's cool.
What makes you think Ryan wants to sit there and be badgered by Obertan all through the match......bet Giggs was relieved he had headphones on.

Alex

What makes you think Ryan wants to sit there and be badgered by Obertan all through the match......bet Giggs was relieved he had headphones on.
If that were true then all the more reason Obertán should be shipped out.

redwhiteblack

I have to say, I don't like to see players sitting fiddling with iphones etc while their team is playing. And I'm kind of surprised it's allowed.

I mean, these are young players who in all honesty are below the standards they need to be at in order to succeed at United. Surely they should be paying attention to the game?

Red Defence

I have to say, I don't like to see players sitting fiddling with iphones etc while their team is playing. And I'm kind of surprised it's allowed.

I mean, these are young players who in all honesty are below the standards they need to be at in order to succeed at United. Surely they should be paying attention to the game?
Yes, really they should be watching it....but they are allowed to look away for a few secs every now and then.

Aaron

Are people STILL moaning about the mobile phone thing?

Blimey. Are you sure we're all not middle aged Daily Mail readers here?

championo

Top Stalker
What if he was watching the game on his phone and loves to listen to commentary while watching it live as well? I sometimes do that to games that I go to just to also have the option of hearing or knowing what the commentators see or are talking about.

Aaron

What if he was watching the game on his phone and loves to listen to commentary while watching it live as well? I sometimes do that to games that I go to just to also have the option of hearing or knowing what the commentators see or are talking about.
Or he just prefers listening to music whilst watching the game?

I hardly think Fergie is going to throw a hissy fit because he's missing the 'You Fat Bastard!' chant aimed at Rooney or isn't picking up on the delightful tonal nuances in the home fans singing 'Wanker'...again, at Rooney.

Red Defence

I used to do that all the time. It helps too if you can't see what's going on clearly and stops you from asking other people all the time.

TheMancRedDevil

Or he just prefers listening to music whilst watching the game?

I hardly think Fergie is going to throw a hissy fit because he's missing the 'You Fat Bastard!' chant aimed at Rooney or isn't picking up on the delightful tonal nuances in the home fans singing 'Wanker'...again, at Rooney.
Judging by his last performance, he'd be well advised to start wearing them when he plays as well, then!

I dunno what it is, I can't put my finger on it. I've bandied out a few theories but I'm not sure. I just know that as soon as I saw it on MOTD I thought, "That looks... wrong..."

Clearly some people don't have a problem with it but some others did. It might be the old rose tinted specs coming into play here but can anyone remember any of the young uns from the Giggs/Beckham/Scholes/Neville days wearing headphones while watching a match back in the day?

And before anyone says "iPods weren't invented." No, I know they weren't but portable CD players were. :)

BIG EDIT: And the music was better. :)

redwhiteblack

Judging by his last performance, he'd be well advised to start wearing them when he plays as well, then!

I dunno what it is, I can't put my finger on it. I've bandied out a few theories but I'm not sure. I just know that as soon as I saw it on MOTD I thought, "That looks... wrong..."

Clearly some people don't have a problem with it but some others did. It might be the old rose tinted specs coming into play here but can anyone remember any of the young uns from the Giggs/Beckham/Scholes/Neville days wearing headphones while watching a match back in the day?

And before anyone says "iPods weren't invented." No, I know they weren't but portable CD players were. :)
Yeah, I think to be honest, players like Giggs, Scholes, Rooney, Nev etc are born and raised students of the game - they've all expressed interest in coaching after their careers (except maybe Scholes...I'm not sure) whereas your younger, foreign lads tend (not always, obviously) to have an attitude that is slightly more flippant. They're not only a different generation, but from a different culture and probably with totally different ambitions and reasons for being at United.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
So is this it for Ober's ? Not saying that trying Rafa + Fabio on the wings was bad, but if your a 4th choice winger and you didn't get game time ahead of fullbacks, certainly that must be a confidence blow or something...
He's a waste of time. It appalls me that hes been getting playing time that Josh King could have been getting, let alone Fabio.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
He's a waste of time. It appalls me that hes been getting playing time that Josh King could have been getting, let alone Fabio.
But King is a striker ain't he ? Obers is a winger... plays behind the striker only when Macheda is up front because of their playing time in the reserves together...

Would love to see J.King push up but still its early days and with Hernandez being totally awesome, he'll need a bit more time.

datura

But King is a striker ain't he ? Obers is a winger... plays behind the striker only when Macheda is up front because of their playing time in the reserves together...

Would love to see J.King push up but still its early days and with Hernandez being totally awesome, he'll need a bit more time.
King can play in any position of a front 3. He could also play as a winger, although he wouldn't be as effective.

OneUnited24

I think managers like playing young strikers on the wings because it allows them to get a touch of the ball, SAF has done it with both Welbeck and Kiko. Still i would rather see King get a run out than Obertan, im not writing him off but i have only seen a few sparks of what Obertan can offer and thats just a handful of event from his first season.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Got two goals in the reserve with Petrucci setting him up, having a hard time finding the reserve match, can anyone enlighten me ?
In contemplation, if a man begins with certainties, he shall end in doubts - but if he be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties.

Status
Not open for further replies.