Gabriel Obertan | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Got two goals in the reserve with Petrucci setting him up, having a hard time finding the reserve match, can anyone enlighten me ?
Check the reserve match thread, GII has posted the highlights.

Devil may care

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Had high hopes for him, sadly this season has shown that he most likely isn't mentally up to playing here. Would be a good move for him.

I can still see him becoming a very good player at about 25years once the penny drops and he begins to beleive in himself. Sadly he is not gonna get that amount of time here.

Sad for him for not taking his chances here really.

datura

It sounds like a great opportunity for him. He's improved this year and become more productive, but still looks far off becoming a first team regular and another season in the reserves will be of no use to anyone.

I would be worried in his position.

Valencia, Nani, Park, Young, (Giggs as a last resort) would ensure he won't be seeing much first team football next year. Not to mention that we have Ravel Morrison knocking on the door as well.

He has got some decent ability and a good footballing background from the Clairefontaine academy. But that doesn't count for much if you struggle to reproduce it in an actual game. I was thinking we might loan him to Aston Villa as part of the Young deal but Lille would be a good move as well. He needs to get the basics right to progress his career.

Legend16

saw him recently at OT in a reserves game and he looked a long long way off first team quality. he needs this move. hopefully we will know a lot more about him when its over

RonaldoVII

Obertan unsure over Lille link

Manchester United winger Gabriel Obertan has played down talk linking him with a move to Lille.

Reports have suggested that the Ligue 1 side were lining up a loan swoop for Obertan as they look to bolster their squad for next season's UEFA Champions League campaign.

Obertan has struggled to make an impact at United since arriving from Bordeaux in the summer of 2009.

The 22-year-old admits he is in the dark over the links with Lille and is unsure where his future lies

"I will not be loaned to Lille, for now," Obertan told France Football.

"I should know if Manchester wants to loan me and if they want to [loan me] to Lille.

"For now, I do not know."
Obertan unsure over Lille link | Sky Sports | Football | Transfer Centre | Speculation

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Even if he is unsure of this link it seems like he too should be outbound either sold or on loan..

humdinger

He definitely needs games, so has got to go. Not good enough to get them here just now, and I think with the way we seem to be culling our fringe players he must be on the exit list, even if only a loan.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Did anyone else think it was funny that Obertan was 1 of the players involved helping coach some of the Special Olympic kids at Harvard :nervous:

Carl

I also think it's interesting Obertan has gone on tour BTW. I was certain he wouldn't be with us this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I also think it's interesting Obertan has gone on tour BTW. I was certain he wouldn't be with us this season.
It doesn't really mean anything.Cleverly for instance went on the tour last season but he still ended at Wigan or maybe by "with us" you meant as a player contracted with United ? If so, you're right

datura

I'd rather have Obertan than Cleverley. I'm not giving up hope with Obertan until he either leaves or fulfills his potential.
Odd that you wouldn't want a home grown player coming through when we've lost 3 this summer already.

I just don't see Obertan as ever being good enough. I'm not sure about Cleverley as yet but I think he deserves a chance at least to show what he can do.

Carl

It doesn't really mean anything.Cleverly for instance went on the tour last season but he still ended at Wigan or maybe by "with us" you meant as a player contracted with United ? If so, you're right
Yeh I meant his permanent club.

obertan is really talented, not sure why so much hate.
I don't see much hate. Just people that realise he simply hasn't cut it thus far.

I'd rather have Obertan than Cleverley. I'm not giving up hope with Obertan until he either leaves or fulfills his potential.
:lol:

Now I'm not one of these that bangs on about Cleverley but he has shown so much more than Obertan ever has.

Obertan will not make it at United. Cleverley at least has a chance.

Carl

Cleverley is not a winger though...
I don't understand why people keep saying this. Just because he's not a natural winger doens't mean he can't play there. He played most of his games for Wigan on the wing and when he plays for United this season I fully expect him to be playing from the left on most occasions.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I don't understand why people keep saying this. Just because he's not a natural winger doens't mean he can't play there. He played most of his games for Wigan on the wing and when he plays for United this season I fully expect him to be playing from the left on most occasions.
He has indeed. I'm not saying he cant play on the wing. I'm saying it's not his most natural position is all.

londonredmaniac

Not really true, the majority of his senior career he's played wide (mainly on the left) hence the Park comparisons as he likes to cut in off the wing and create etc.
I know pal. Maybe I'm hoping for too much him playing a more central role I don't know.

He can play on the wing, just as Welbeck can. Neither are natural wingers IMO. Obertan is, or is supposed to be isn't he?

Carl

He has indeed. I'm not saying he cant play on the wing. I'm saying it's not his most natural position is all.
For what reason? Everyone already knows this. He's being talked about amongst the likes of Obertan because people see him being in direct competition with them both being young players likely to get games on the wing.

datura

I know pal. Maybe I'm hoping for too much him playing a more central role I don't know.

He can play on the wing, just as Welbeck can. Neither are natural wingers IMO. Obertan is, or is supposed to be isn't he?
I think initially he'll playnon the wing but would be a good option if we play a midfield 3.

Obertan was played a lot as a striker last season for the reserves, he scored a few but it didn't look a natural position, and his crossing is very poor for a winger.

Decotron

Odd that you wouldn't want a home grown player coming through when we've lost 3 this summer already.

I just don't see Obertan as ever being good enough. I'm not sure about Cleverley as yet but I think he deserves a chance at least to show what he can do.
Id easily pick Cleverley purely down his football brain. We've already seen him fit in v. well in previous pre-season's

londonredmaniac

For what reason? Everyone already knows this. He's being talked about amongst the likes of Obertan because people see him being in direct competition with them both being young players likely to get games on the wing.
Perhaps out of hope he will get a chance to play more centrally. I sort of worry for him a bit out wide is all.

As for the Obertan comparison then my opinion is that Tom is a better option for now.

I'm always right

Looked decent yesterday/today/whenever we played Seattle against shit of course, so much talent, just hope he can learn to keep his (giant) head and get over those obvious confidence issues.

Pace to burn too!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He looked pretty good in last year's friendlies too Sharky. It's frustrating that despite having all the talent, he still hasn't shown it for the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.