Gabriel Obertan | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I cannot see him making it at the club. But In the slight chance he will I think he needs a year on loan desperately. Surely this lack of football for the past 2 seasons (under 30 games many of which were as sub) at the age of 22 cannot be good for any kind of development.

Send him on loan and make the call after that

lynchie

I think Seattle made him (and others) look good. Watching his contribution to the 6th goal, if he's that clumsy on the ball against a defender that has a clue, he loses it.

ricky-romeo

i reckon we should let him go out on loan to one of the premiership side, maybe a team like wigan or WBA, as they seem to used their wingers to full effect.

not sure about the recently promoted teams as i had never watched them, but maybe a loan deal until january at the very least would be a good move for gabby obertan. he will get something like 15-20 successive PL games under his belt and that could improve his confidence level and mental strength.

if he is doing well by january, maybe we can recall him back into our team, especially if we got a few injury problems, or maybe he can just spend a full year out and playing regular football in the PL.

obertan has good footballing attributes, he just needs to sort out things in his head really..

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Looked decent yesterday/today/whenever we played Seattle against shit of course, so much talent, just hope he can learn to keep his (giant) head and get over those obvious confidence issues.

Pace to burn too!
He looked pretty good in last year's friendlies too Sharky. It's frustrating that despite having all the talent, he still hasn't shown it for the first team.
This....talent....

Ahem...

Anderson8

Was impressed with him today, almost surprised, although I shouldn't be. The way half of the caf rambles on about him, you actually begin to convince yourself he's utterly dreadful. He's not, he just needs to have more confidence in his ability and prove himself at the higher levels.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Was impressed with him today, almost surprised, although I shouldn't be. The way half of the caf rambles on about him, you actually begin to convince yourself he's utterly dreadful. He's not, he just needs to have more confidence in his ability and prove himself at the higher levels.
Exactly. People forget, he got injured in pre season....

For some to say it was against this or that teams rubbish. These games are for fitness. They won't tell you what someone will produce in a season. He scored a few in the reserves including a hat trick and was productive. It's very easy to say it was against a weak team....I don't think Obertan is in the papers saying he must play, so why people bring that up i'll never know

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Wish it was possible to transfer Giggs football brain into his body...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Why? And why would it be a choice between the two?
Odd that you wouldn't want a home grown player coming through when we've lost 3 this summer already.

I just don't see Obertan as ever being good enough. I'm not sure about Cleverley as yet but I think he deserves a chance at least to show what he can do.
:lol:

Now I'm not one of these that bangs on about Cleverley but he has shown so much more than Obertan ever has.

Obertan will not make it at United. Cleverley at least has a chance.
I made that comment in defence of Obertan because people were talking as if that was it for him. I think Obertan is far more gifted than Cleverley and, basically, I'd sooner see Cleverley shown the door than Obertan. I don't think Cleverley has the ability to make a difference in a match and I actually think he's quite ordinary.

I'll stick by the guy because he's one of our players, but seeing people overrate him on here, whilst dismissing a player that I feel is better, leaves me having to say something. Anybody that thinks we've got a new Paul Scholes or anything like that is in for a huge disappointment this season.

davisjw

He has skill, it's just that his smarts haven't evolved since he came here. He still does Ronaldo's old "standing still and do step overs then push the ball forward and use speed to beat the defender." Whereas Ronaldo came with lots of tricks that didn't always come off, he learned when and how to use that.

The Obertan of today is the same player as two years ago and that's the problem.

Decotron

I made that comment in defence of Obertan because people were talking as if that was it for him. I think Obertan is far more gifted than Cleverley and, basically, I'd sooner see Cleverley shown the door than Obertan. I don't think Cleverley has the ability to make a difference in a match and I actually think he's quite ordinary.

I'll stick by the guy because he's one of our players, but seeing people overrate him on here, whilst dismissing a player that I feel is better, leaves me having to say something. Anybody that thinks we've got a new Paul Scholes or anything like that is in for a huge disappointment this season.

Id argue that Cleverley in 3 preseasons with us has shown he's a better prospect than Obertan ever will be. His brain and vision are on a different planet currently.

He's gonna struggle to get games here with so much competition, so I would loan him to Aston Villa.

They are a very good club with 2 available spaces on the wings now. They will suit him with their width and speed on the counter attack.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Id argue that Cleverley in 3 preseasons with us has shown he's a better prospect than Obertan ever will be. His brain and vision are on a different planet currently.
I just don't see it with him myself. He scored a good goal last summer and from there his stock went through the roof on here. I watched him as much as I could whilst he was at Wigan and he was really disappointing. He didn't get involved in games, he looked clueless at times on the ball and he lost possession easily many times during a game.

I know some of these same criticisms could be aimed a Obertan, but I just think that he has more to offer. He's not shown a lot in his first team outings, but there have been some real glimpses of his talent whilst playing regularly for the reserves. In fact, I think Obertan displayed good vision, which you mentioned, with some of his passing and through balls. He's got it all in his locker but its a case of him putting it all together consistently.

Eriku

That's the impression I've got most of the games I got to see Cleverley for Wigan as well, pocco... though considering how pleased Martinez and Fergie were, and how the press seemed to think he was having a good season, as well as people on here, I just assumed I'd watched a bad batch of matches.

I'm in no way convinced that Obertan will break through, mind. He's been scintillating for the reserves at times but doesn't look at home in the first team most of the time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I just don't see it with him myself. He scored a good goal last summer and from there his stock went through the roof on here. I watched him as much as I could whilst he was at Wigan and he was really disappointing. He didn't get involved in games, he looked clueless at times on the ball and he lost possession easily many times during a game.

I know some of these same criticisms could be aimed a Obertan, but I just think that he has more to offer. He's not shown a lot in his first team outings, but there have been some real glimpses of his talent whilst playing regularly for the reserves. In fact, I think Obertan displayed good vision, which you mentioned, with some of his passing and through balls. He's got it all in his locker but its a case of him putting it all together consistently.
If you insist on comparing the two, why are you ignoring the fact that Obertan has looked absolutely dire in almost all of his opportunities for a PL side, while Cleverly has at times looked at least reasonably competent. You claim to have watched him a fair bit at Wigan but I don't see how your opinion can be so different from that of his manager at the time?

“He’s only 21, but you look at his performances against Liverpool and West Brom recently and you can see the huge, huge potential.

“His tactical awareness is not normal for such a young man. I don’t think we have seen many cases like him before. Without doubt I see him as an England player.
Last season aside, Cleverley was absolutely fantastic playing at a lower level while Obertan seems to have been generally underwhelming. Cleverley was nominated Watford's player of the season, with 11 goals in 35 appearances. When Obertan went on loan from Bordeaux to Lorient he only got picked in 17 games and scored a total of 2 goals. When United signed him, Laurent Blanc had this to say about him.

"I was surprised, but it is an unexpected chance for him to play with one of the best clubs in the world. Manchester United have been tracking him for a long time. They certainly hope to advance him, something that Bordeaux and Lorient have failed to do. He has the potential, but he must overcome psychological and mental challenges so he can express his true value."
I don't really want to bash Obertan because he might come good one day but there's absolutely no doubt that Cleverley has been the better player of the two in their career to date.

RedPhil1957

He has skill, it's just that his smarts haven't evolved since he came here. He still does Ronaldo's old "standing still and do step overs then push the ball forward and use speed to beat the defender." Whereas Ronaldo came with lots of tricks that didn't always come off, he learned when and how to use that.

The Obertan of today is the same player as two years ago and that's the problem.

thats rubbish, the Oberton of today is a far stronger much better all round player, takes some knocking off the ball these days, makes less stupid mistakes and is more team aware however to compare with Cleverly is just lazy imo.

At present Cleverly is well in front. He has been a first team regular in both his loan spells (voted player of the season at Watford) proving himself capable of being a PL player. He is a very inteligent player with an eye for the killer pass; he has a good engine, finishes well and i think has every chance of developing into a very good player for us. That does not mean he will, just he has a chance!

Ekeke

He's just such a mixed bag with his passing/crossing/shooting

No doubt he has the pace and dribbling, and the added power of last season to cause problems for decent teams. You just never really know what you're going to get once the speed and dribbling part of it is over and he has to pick a pass, play a cross or take a shot.

Having said that I wish there was a video somewhere of his performances for France at Toulon before we signed him. He looked very impressive there, more intelligent and his tricks tended to come off. Its a shame his pure footballing skills, aside from shooting, dont really seem to have improved since he joined.

Dion

His shooting is top notch tbf. I've never seen him put a genuine "cross" in ala Young or Valencia, it's all rolled in side footed passes, which is a shame since his passing is by a large margin the weakest technical area for him.

Ekeke

His shooting is top notch tbf. I've never seen him put a genuine "cross" in ala Young or Valencia, it's all rolled in side footed passes, which is a shame since his passing is by a large margin the weakest technical area for him.
Its not but its been steadily improved from the poor shooting he came to us with

His crossing is average at best

Ballache

Supports
Martial
i reckon he needs a season on loan, he has all the tools to be a good winger, but lacks confidence at times which affects his decision making.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
As long as they dont treat him like they did rossi, Newcastle would be fantastic for him to have a year at.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
He's physically very impressive, I'll give him that. Maybe one of the most impressive I've seen playing for us. But there's something missing with him- his final ball is lacking, as is his decision making. And if things don't go for him early on he seems to wilt. His finishing has improved, though.

If he can get a good loan move and play regularly he might fulfill his talent.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
ALAN PARDEW is considering turning to Manchester United winger Gabriel Obertan.

The Chronicle understands the Frenchman is in the frame for United boss Pardew, who is eager to boost his squad in time for the big kick-off in just nine days time.

The tricky wide man would give Newcastle some presence on the right-hand side and crank up competition in Pardew’s midfield with the 22-year-old unhappy at Old Trafford with two years left of his current deal.

Sources in the North West have indicated that United have an interest in the player. And it is also believed that Obertan is hungry to show fans in England exactly what he can do given a regular run in the side after just 14 Premier League appearances for the Red Devils in two years.

Sir Alex Ferguson signed Obertan from Bordeux two years ago on a four-year deal, but he has only shown in glimpses what he produced for the French outfit he made a £3million move from.

Obertan has played on Man Utd’s trip to the US – scoring in the 7-0 win over Seattle – but his last appearance for Ferguson’s side came last season in the 2-1 win at West Brom.

Man Utd could be open to a loan move with a view to a permanent deal, yet Pardew will be keen to bolster his squad with Joey Barton’s transfer listing decimating a limited squad yet further. United are in the process of reviewing a number of players they looked at earlier in the summer.

And they are also in communication with the representatives of Bayer Leverkusen winger Tranquillo Barnetta, after receiving a rain check from the Swiss international earlier this summer.

Barton was in London yesterday while the rest of the United squad enjoyed a day off from training to participate in a club golf day.

The Scouser has been linked with Stoke City and Everton but Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is an admirer of the one-time England international.

Yet whether Spurs chairman Daniel Levy would agree to cough up the soon-to-be 29-year-old’s wage demands remains to be seen.

Wages may also be the issue for West Ham United.

The Chronicle first revealed the Hammers’ interest in Barton back on June 7 before his troublesome summer kicked in.

Sam Allardyce believes he is a player who he can get the best out of at Upton Park, while former Toon captain Kevin Nolan will also be keen to link up with the Huyton-born player.

West Ham also have an interest in Fraser Forster, with the United keeper not content with anything but first-team football this season.

Read More NUFC eying Man Utd winger Gabriel Obertan - NUFC Latest News - Newcastle United - ChronicleLive

Status
Not open for further replies.