Gabriel Obertan | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stojan Stamenic

I really, really liked the way he played on Friday. Matured a lot, built some confidence. Very, very creative. For me, the player to watvh on this Tour. Any thoughts?

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I'm expecting a good contribution from him this season. He is a very good player, alot better than some fans realise but I think his future lies as an attacking central midfielder rather than a winger.

I think the management appear to feel the same, all he lacks at this point is sharpness and confidence for me.

talking robot

I thought he looked good against Celtic on Friday. He was definitely a danger man for us while he was on. The only problem is his end product. I think that will come though.

jb8521

He could be a very good player if he could get some consistency in his actual striking of the ball one minute he'll look like a very clean striker of the ball and then a few minutes later he will have to do the exact same thing and will completely shank it. It reminds me a bit of andy cole when he was playing badly he could look like a terrible striker of a ball.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
nice to see some people finally rating him, unlike the other obertan thread where he was basically written off before he started

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
I think the lad could develop into a good number 10 playing behind the striker. His crossing is too weak to play wide and Valencia and Nani are both young so no need to push him wide.

I think with him running through the centre, with his pace and trickery, then there are a few defenders who'll either get left for dead or give away free kicks in dangerous areas. His passing and vision also seems to suit an attacking mid.

Do we need to buy therefore? Can we give him the chance?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think the lad could develop into a good number 10 playing behind the striker. His crossing is too weak to play wide and Valencia and Nani are both young so no need to push him wide.
I agree. Obertan playing off Rooney might be a fantastic partnership next season given the chance.

Stojan Stamenic

I'm expecting a good contribution from him this season. He is a very good player, alot better than some fans realise but I think his future lies as an attacking central midfielder rather than a winger.

I think the management appear to feel the same, all he lacks at this point is sharpness and confidence for me.
My point exactly - ideal player for 4-5-1, for that Giggsy's free role behind Rooney, Fergie loves that system... He seems too weak defensively to cover the wing and sometimes lazy to go back...

His position and playing against Celtic looked very simillar to Ozil's role in German squad - lot's of running from flanks to the middle and passing, more on right but always on left side after Celtics corner, always looking for a chance to start a counterattack...

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Luckily he's young and lernin, and has plenty of time and no pressure to perfect both.
Its strange because his passing is actually pretty good. Very crisp passer along the ground and he's usually on the same wavelength as his teammate. I think his poor shooting technique is probably more anxiety, possibly trying to strike it too hard. But his crossing is a worry, he cant seem to put curl on a ball without slicing it straight out. Hopefully the right coaching will sort it out

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its strange because his passing is actually pretty good. Very crisp passer along the ground and he's usually on the same wavelength as his teammate. I think his poor shooting technique is probably more anxiety, possibly trying to strike it too hard. But his crossing is a worry, he cant seem to put curl on a ball without slicing it straight out. Hopefully the right coaching will sort it out
He reminds me a bit of Ronaldo and Nani when they first arrived. Bags of natural skills, plenty of tricks, but still very raw and in need of working on a few areas in order to make them more complete. Obertan has the pace, technical ability, ability to run at defenders already. He just needs a year or so to focus on crossing, situational decision making, and developing a better eye for goal. No doubt Fergie and the staff will help him develop this.

MarkC

Really excited by how good this lad could be. Lets hope he gets some more games this season like said he looked good when he got into positions behind the strikers I kept thinking I was watching Robben though!

mufcwarm92

Clearly has alot of talent and potential, but often choses the wrong option when in a good position. That assist against Wolfsburg last season was testament to his ability.

Ekeke

Like Valencia his main asset is his pace. Unless playing on the shoulder of the last defender and therefore leading the line, this is something best used in wide areas. I'd like to see how we do with Obertan on the left and Nani on the right.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Like Valencia his main asset is his pace. Unless playing on the shoulder of the last defender and therefore leading the line, this is something best used in wide areas. I'd like to see how we do with Obertan on the left and Nani on the right.
I thought I detected a bit of dribbling skill on the ball, but nah, must be wrong.

Not a bit like Valencia mate, you ain't watched him.

dhstriker

President of the Jamie Redknapp fan club
I don't think Obertan is going to be playing as a second striker. I like him as a winger, getting in positions to take people on one on one on the outside and distributing the ball to a striker. I just can't see him crashing into the box to get on the end of a cross.

B Cantona

Desperate
I don't know what to make of him. He looks very raw, even for a 21 year old. I can't tell if that's because he's just an unnurtured diamond, or simply because he's a limited player. I also think, for a large portion of the time he's spent in the first team, he's played 'pass the buck' football, keeping things simple, but now showing that he's particularly capable of breaking down defences himself. I've no problem with that, can actually be a very good thing (the antitheses of Nani on a bad day), as long as he does possess that ability when he needs it, making sure a defender is on his toes because he doesn't know if he's about to be skinned or not

I think it's guesswork to know if he'll really make it or not here, and it would seem that the coming season will define that one way or the other

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When you look at him he's ripped from a muscular point of view but at the same time it's surprising to see how light he is.I don't know if it's good thing in terms of pace and agility but a bad thing in terms of strength

Ekeke

When you look at him he's ripped from a muscular point of view but at the same time it's surprising to see how light he is.I don't know if it's good thing in terms of pace and agility but a bad thing in terms of strength
Well Nani has been the same. Being a bit light on the ball didnt stop him playing very well last season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Well Nani has been the same. Being a bit light on the ball didnt stop him playing very well last season.
Nani is much stronger.Shoulder barges are bound to get Obertan lose completely his balance and therefore the ball whereas Nani can block them better.
Nani is strong when he doesn't decide to go down easily

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Think Brad pretty much sums up my opinion on him.

Looking forward to seeing how he progresses because he's got plenty of promise but far from sure he's going to make it.

Ekeke

I did not say Valencia 'doesn't have any dribbling skill', those words are yours, although I do think he relies more on his pace.

Have you ever noticed how good posters don't use many laughing smilies?

Maybe you should.
Actually you were saying he's not like Valencia, because Obertan has some dribbling skill. Which is complete rubbish.

Valencia has very good dribbling skills, Obertan too. But both for both of them their main weapon is their pace. If you took a few yards of pace away from either player they'd both have a lot more problems going past players. They are better runners than they are dribblers, although still talented dribblers. Both of them are best served using that pace in the channels where they can get in behind the defence. Either that or if they somehow had the ability to lead the line up front, the pace would be a great weapon for getting in behind the defence that way. Pace is a lot less useful if you're playing as a central attacking midfielder behind a single striker, as your job is mainly to link play between midfield and attack. This would not make the most of Obertan's main skill at this point in time.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
He's tall and rangy, the conditioning of his upper body looks so cut due him being so lean and having a very low natural body fat percentage. However, being tall and rangy has the downside of having a high centre of gravity meaning his legs and base of support are not that of a shorter player with a higher leg mass. Surprised a lot of pundits don't mention this when it comes to players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Scholes, Fabregas etc.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Actually you were saying he's not like Valencia, because Obertan has some dribbling skill. Which is complete rubbish.

Valencia has very good dribbling skills, Obertan too. But both for both of them their main weapon is their pace. If you took a few yards of pace away from either player they'd both have a lot more problems going past players. They are better runners than they are dribblers, although still talented dribblers. Both of them are best served using that pace in the channels where they can get in behind the defence. Either that or if they somehow had the ability to lead the line up front, the pace would be a great weapon for getting in behind the defence that way. Pace is a lot less useful if you're playing as a central attacking midfielder behind a single striker, as your job is mainly to link play between midfield and attack. This would not make the most of Obertan's main skill at this point in time.
But you can see why people think he might be best there, despite ultimately disagreeing?

He's very good for a ball carrier in knowing when to release the ball with either foot, and he has shown an ability to manipulate the ball well in central areas, which combined can be quite a useful attacking outlet.

Ace

Having watched him live on Friday, one thing I can comfortably say is he has pace to burn, he was lightning quick. His off the ball movement was pretty good too for someone so young, not Ozil level, but better than average
:rolleyes:

MarylandMUFan

Having watched him live on Friday, one thing I can comfortably say is he has pace to burn, he was lightning quick. His off the ball movement was pretty good too for someone so young, not Ozil level, but better than average
He was a turnover machine in the first half. The first 5 times he touched the ball he gave it away. I think much of it was due to him holding the ball too long. I really like him but think he is at least a year away from being a full time player.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
He reminds me a bit of Ronaldo and Nani when they first arrived. Bags of natural skills, plenty of tricks, but still very raw and in need of working on a few areas in order to make them more complete. Obertan has the pace, technical ability, ability to run at defenders already. He just needs a year or so to focus on crossing, situational decision making, and developing a better eye for goal. No doubt Fergie and the staff will help him develop this.
Didn't you kill yourself?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I can't see why people don't rate his crossing ? How many times has this lad actually had the chance to cross ?
Not that many, but then again, he's more inclined to run at defenders than cross at this early stage. The crossing and situational awareness will come in time, and once he develops a shot, he's going to be a nightmare for defenders.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
He actually does have a sly shot on him from what I've seen a few games in the reserve, he just hasn't really added it up to his game yet ( He usually plays in his team mates more which is a good idea ),

Also, the thing is he didn't cross was because he actually got past his full backs and goes for a short pass or a toe poke instead which I think is acceptable... so I can't see why some caftards like to point out that he doesn't know how to cross.

It's an Obertan Myth.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
He was a turnover machine in the first half. The first 5 times he touched the ball he gave it away. I think much of it was due to him holding the ball too long. I really like him but think he is at least a year away from being a full time player.
That's one phrase that should be kept to Rugby and American Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.